Friedman: Flames growing “impatient”

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Really doubt any kind of big shakeup is coming. Maybe a budget type middle 6 acquisition. Flames would be crazy to trade any of Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Hanifin, or Tkachuk. These are all guys in their primes on good money deals.
I would be open to trading Monahan.

Reactions: cheechoo

Ledge And Dairy

Petan + Barrie

For

Bennett + Hamonic + 4th
Lol what? In case you didnt notice Barries value has tanked and Leafs arent resigning him next year (and cant afford him if he turn it around). Petan has zero value here, he literally got passed on waivers by 30 other teams. Bennett and Hamonic, even if they havent had great starts to the season currently carry more value than Barrie. Counter offer:
Kapanen + Barrie

For

Bennett + Hamonic (12% retained) + 2021 4th
Both teams get what they need; gritty 2-way forward and a defensive minded heavy minute RD to Toronto, 2-way fast RHS winger and an offensive defense to Calgary.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Really doubt any kind of big shakeup is coming. Maybe a budget type middle 6 acquisition. Flames would be crazy to trade any of Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Hanifin, or Tkachuk. These are all guys in their primes on good money deals.

Yeah this is pretty much what I think is going to happen. No big moves but maybe a boring trade to "stir" things up mid-season but won't really propel us to a solidified playoff spot.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
0 chance I'd trade Bennett, he's the only Flames forward who can both skate and hit with any kind of consistency and impact. You need guys like that.

Reactions: viper0220

Toast97

Jul 30, 2014
Lol what? In case you didnt notice Barries value has tanked and Leafs arent resigning him next year (and cant afford him if he turn it around). Petan has zero value here, he literally got passed on waivers by 30 other teams. Bennett and Hamonic, even if they havent had great starts to the season currently carry more value than Barrie. Counter offer:
Kapanen + Barrie

For

Both teams get what they need; gritty 2-way forward and a defensive minded heavy minute RD to Toronto, 2-way fast RHS winger and an offensive defense to Calgary.

Barrie is at his lowest possible value right now. He didn't suddenly forget how to play high-level hockey and become a 25ish point player. Trading him right now would be foolish.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would be open to trading Monahan.

Trading Monahan is tough. I'm not really his biggest fan but his goals would be hard to replace. The center depth is bad enough as it is.

I'd entertain a Monahan for Kopitar trade with some significant pluses on the Flames end for some retention from the Kings. I'd be less enthused but would at least be curious about a Monahan for Toews swap, again with some adds from the Flames for a bit of retention. These would both be huge risks for players on the down slope of their careers but I guess the hope would be they still have something left in the tank.

Only other trade that involves Monahan I'd be alright with is for two younger forwards with high upside but less proven.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Barrie is at his lowest possible value right now. He didn't suddenly forget how to play high-level hockey and become a 25ish point player. Trading him right now would be foolish.
But hes never known how to play defensive, leafs were never in need of point production which is why the trade was always considered odd. Regardless of where his value currently stands, he seems to be on the market currently

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Kapanen + Barrie

For

It's been 22 games. Barrie has been an NHL top pairing 50+ point defender for years. He is a low end #1 or a #2 based on his poor start knocking him back a bit. Hamonic is more of a steady #4 stay at home type. He can play top pair, but he's a mid pairing guy. That's a bit of a talent gap. Bennett has produced like a 3rd/4th line player so far through his career and doesn't look to be making a serious push up the lineup. I think a 3rd/4th line tweener is probably fair value given the mismatch in value between defenders. Petan can fill in as a depth forward to replace Bennett, the Leafs still use him a fair bit, they would need Calgary to retain on Hamonic either way. Barrie for Hamonic isn't very good value on paper for Toronto, but stylistically it makes sense to find a better fit and both teams could use a shake up. Losing trades isn't always smart though, so from an asset management stand point if you're Dubas what else is coming back?

Toast97

Jul 30, 2014
But hes never known how to play defensive, leafs were never in need of point production which is why the trade was always considered odd. Regardless of where his value currently stands, he seems to be on the market currently

Nobody expected Barrie to be a defensive stalwart. They expected him to be an additional weapon from the back-end on the right-side. So far he hasn't been that but I think ~25 games in is way too early to be looking to trade him. Not to mention the entire team is in a funk, and swapping him for Hamonic won't really change anything. Everyone on the Leafs looks *really* bad right now.

Leafs have said Barrie is not available to the teams calling, so he's not on the market yet. That sounds more like an agent talking because his client isn't performing as expected in a contract year.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Trading Monahan is tough. I'm not really his biggest fan but his goals would be hard to replace. The center depth is bad enough as it is.

I'd entertain a Monahan for Kopitar trade with some significant pluses on the Flames end for some retention from the Kings. I'd be less enthused but would at least be curious about a Monahan for Toews swap, again with some adds from the Flames for a bit of retention. These would both be huge risks for players on the down slope of their careers but I guess the hope would be they still have something left in the tank.

Only other trade that involves Monahan I'd be alright with is for two younger forwards with high upside but less proven.
Yea the only way i trade him is for another centre. But if im honest ur not getting an upgrade on him unless u overpay. What would work better is adding another top 6 centre. If only Kadri accepted the trade...

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Wonder who Calgary would want back whose name isn’t Sean Couturier.

Gaudreau is a great player, but I doubt they get a player with Couturier’s value in any deal. Frost should be very intriguing to them. Patrick would be if he didn’t have his issues. They’ve also moved a lot of picks over the last few years so I’m sure they wouldn’t mind picking in the first round multiple times.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Matthews + Barrie + Kapanen
For
Tkachuk + Hamonic + Bennett + cond. Pick

Ceci + Bracco for Clifford

Johnsson + Liljgren for Ritchie + 3rd

Tkachuk - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Mikhayev
Ritchie - Bennett - Kerfoot
Moore - Gauthier - Clifford

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Holl

Sorry I turned that into a Leaf trades

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes had Staal

So yeah. What do these teams have in common? Superstar #1 C or atleast a very good #1 C that can give you Selke level D.
Does Monahan or anyone on the Flames come close to these guys? Not really.

The second thing that most of these teams have had is a #1 D.

CAR: don't remember but I don't think they had a bonafide #1 D.

Hurricanes defense during 2006 playoffs:

Aaron Ward, Mike Commodore, Brett Hedican, Frantisek "Frank" Kaberle, Niclas Wallin, Glen Wesley.

Not to derail this thread, but to add on to what @JoemAvs was saying. The Canes didn't have a stud #1 on D, but they did have a defense that was very veteran and more "by committee". Their forward and center depth was one of the best seen in cup winners (contrary to popular HF belief). They had a still very good Doug Weight as their 3C, Brind'Amour as a 2C and Staal as a 1C. They had 8 players (2 picked up at/just before the deadline) that had 50 points on the season. They had 7 20+ goal scorers (and Ray Whitney had 17 in 63 games).

Staal: 45G, 100P: Superstar #1C (at least for that season).
Williams: 31G, 76P
Stillman: 21G, 76P
Brindy: 31G, 70P: Selke level center.
Recchi: 28G, 54P (Carolina and Pittsburgh)
Weight: 15G, 57P (in 70 games with Carolina and STL)
Cole: 30G, 59P (in 60 games)
Whitney: 17G, 55P (in 63 games)
Cullen: 25G, 49P

Their 4th line was excellent as well with Chad LaRose, Kevyn Adams, Craig Adams

They also had Andrew Ladd who was injured most of the season and came back for the playoffs and traded away Radim Vrbata early in the season because there was no room for him. That was an incredibly deep forward core of a bunch of guys in their prime, or still near prime and having great years. They caught lightning in a bottle that year because of the prior season lockout, new style of play post lockout, and the ability to add veterans due to teams shedding contracts.

Reactions: JoemAvs

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
For

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Holl

No disrespect to AM and props for a great trade offer. But we cannot trade Chucky. He’s just too important to the Flames’ future. For me he is the only untouchable on this team. I would also hate to see the flames move Lindy.

Chucky+Lindy for me is the backbones.

Ideally Monahan stays and we get another 1C of same caliber to play 1A B with Monahan. Backlund can be 3C on a shutdown line.

I’m open to move Gaudreau, Gio (yes Gio... before he goes down the drain in 2-4 years).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
For

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Holl

I would do it. Love Tkachuk, but Matthews at #1C fills the more important position.

Congrats on a trade that gives value to both teams and might make both teams better.

Does anyone know if Mathews and Gaudreau have played together in the past? Both are American. I know that typically the TML advise Matthews to rest through international tournaments though. Either way:

Gaudreau-Matthews-Lindholm is an amazing first line.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Flames need to be careful here. Gaudreau is the type of player that you can't really replace, at least in the context of getting equal value in a trade. Has he been playing exclusively with Monahan this year? Maybe they need to explore shaking thing up internally.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The Flames need to be careful here. Gaudreau is the type of player that you can't really replace, at least in the context of getting equal value in a trade. Has he been playing exclusively with Monahan this year? Maybe they need to explore shaking thing up internally.

They’ve split them up for a few games and didn’t really work.

I still think it will all work out fine for us and will make the playoffs. Now unfortunately if we don’t go far into them, the fingers will be pointed at Johnny as he is the team’s engine.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
For

Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Holl

Dear f***ing lord... Matthews is on pace for over 50 goals and 100 points dude. He has been one of the few who has been good most of the season. He is 22 and the last player they should be trading, and if they did, they get way better than that... Nevermind the Leafs adding those other pieces.

Reactions: Saitama and TMLFC

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

Don't think I'd do it from BUF's side, but when I read your last sentence, Mittelstadt + Reinhart immediately came to mind. Great profile pic btw

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad