Friedman: Flames growing “impatient”

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Lmfao the amount potential is overrated on this board is hysterical. Athanasiou is a 30 goal scorer. Young players have had a better first 25 games than JV and busted. I wouldn’t bet on it but gtfo of here with that “not close”. If anything Detroit would be taking the bulk of the gamble

Athanasiou does nothing for the Flames, he is not going to put the Flames over the top. Players that put teams over the top don't become available very often. The best thing for the Flames is to sell at the deadline and go for a big trade/shake up in the offseason.

Players like Athanasiou don't do anything for the Flames, other than waste assets and we have already wasted a lot of assets.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Lmfao the amount potential is overrated on this board is hysterical. Athanasiou is a 30 goal scorer. Young players have had a better first 25 games than JV and busted. I wouldn’t bet on it but gtfo of here with that “not close”. If anything Detroit would be taking the bulk of the gamble

I think it is more of a case of we just don't know what we have in Valiamaki yet. For me anyways.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Flames overachieved last year, this season is who they truly are, a bubble team that might sneak into a wildcard spot.
Everyone saw this coming except Flames fans. No way what they were doing last year is sustainable.

The Flames fans knew and so did management, that is why they tried making major trades, like the Kadri one and the Zucker one but unfortunately, they did go through.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Barrie for Hamonic makes a lot fo sense. Both teams could use a shake up, the leafs really need a guy like Hamonic back there

Reactions: Devonator

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I thought Calgary would be much better than what they are so this year. Still on that team I can't see anyone they'd be willing to trade that would have value to another team.

Reactions: themelkman

Ledge And Dairy

I thought Calgary would be much better than what they are so this year. Still on that team I can't see anyone they'd be willing to trade that would have value to another team.
I had the exact same thoughts about the Sharks before the season started, i expected regression but not this bad. Mind you Simek coming back seems to have filled a major hole where even though Kylington has been fine we desperately miss Valimaki

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
This screams Ryan Getzlaf to me. Maybe he decides he doesnt want to stick around for the rebuild and he's already insanely popular there.

He's my all time favorite duck so I really hope it doesnt happen, but it would make sense on many levels if he would waive for it.

I dont think his wife would be happy but it might be a chance at another chip before he hangs up the skates.

Again, I really dont want to see him go, but he could still return a lot of assets and it might be something the ducks would consider.

Ledge And Dairy

This screams Ryan Getzlaf to me. Maybe he decides he doesnt want to stick around for the rebuild and he's already insanely popular there.

He's my all time favorite duck so I really hope it doesnt happen, but it would make sense on many levels if he would waive for it.

I dont think his wife would be happy but it might be a chance at another chip before he hangs up the skates.

Again, I really dont want to see him go, but he could still return a lot of assets and it might be something the ducks would consider.
Flames don't have 8.25M cap space to spare

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
How about this near the deadline:

To Ottawa:
Sam Bennett + 2020 1st

To Calgary:
JG Pageau

Change of scenery for Bennett and another 1st in a deep, deep draft for Ottawa, and a significant roster upgrade to get another top-6 option for Calgary. Would not want to play against Pageau and Tkachuk together in the playoffs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wondering if one of calls made for Barrie with the Leafs has to do with this. Don't think we are quite happy with our offensive production as of late and the Leafs are not very happy with their defense.

Already mentioned in a couple of other threads, (apologies in advance for repetition), but Barrie and Hamonic makes a lot of sense. Most will say that Barrie > Hamonic because of points but they are both completely different defenseman. The Flames have other defenseman more than capable of stopping the puck, we need a offensively-minded d-man like Barrie who could play on the top pairing with Giordano or on the second pairing with Hanifin.

The Leafs are looking for someone that can help out Andersen. Hamonic can do that. He doesn't appear to want to extend with the Flames so these are two players that most likely will not re-sign with either team.

I think both fanbases agree a Barrie for Hamonic trade as a base works well.

It's about any additions, and whether Barrie would be interested in extending with Calgary and/or Hamonic would be interested in extending with Toronto.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think both fanbases agree a Barrie for Hamonic trade as a base works well.

It's about any additions, and whether Barrie would be interested in extending with Calgary and/or Hamonic would be interested in extending with Toronto.
I honestly feel like both aren't going to. My guess is Barrie wants to cash in a 7 year deal that Calgary would not be able to afford, while Hamonic wants to play closer to home... Which would be Winnipeg, who look like they would be front runners in trying to sign him in 2020.

The trade would merely be a 1 for 1 change-of-scenery kind of deal.

Ledge And Dairy

To Ottawa:
Sam Bennett + 2020 1st

To Calgary:
JG Pageau

Change of scenery for Bennett and another 1st in a deep, deep draft for Ottawa, and a significant roster upgrade to get another top-6 option for Calgary. Would not want to play against Pageau and Tkachuk together in the playoffs.
JGP interests me but not for Bennett and a 1st, Pageau is putting up career numbers but is a pending UFA who is putting up career numbers way above where he has ever been before. Maybe he was pushed down the line up by Duchene and Brassard for too long but I'm skeptical that this is more of an outlier. If he can keep up this pace then maybe he fetches a 1st at the deadline but not a 1st and a solid middle 6 roster player

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

To Ottawa:
Sam Bennett + 2020 1st

To Calgary:
JG Pageau

Nope... With how this season is going, that pick can range from 10-18th... And we're getting a solid player in the 2020 draft with that pick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Interesting to see what they do from a defence perspective. Brodie continues his 3 year long regression, Gio is showing signs of slowing down. Hamonic has not been the player they thought he would be. From a young D perspective, Andersson looks solid, but Hanifin is looking extremely meh and Valimaki is a massive ? with all the injuries. Long and medium term, that D core could be a mess.

Trying to salvage whatever value Bennett has and trading the 2020 1st could bring in some D help

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets probably don't do it.

You’re right they wouldn’t imo. Barring a straight cap exchange or Jets dumping cap no trade will happen. Plus if Jets traded for Hammer likely not only means Kulikov going for cap reasons but then likely means Poolman is the guy Flames would want that the Jets would be willing to let go. Can only have so many RHD, Hammer in means Poolman likely traded. Jets likely add a mid range pick or bottom six winger prospect. Anything more then that Jets better off just waiting till the summer considering Hammer has made it clear he’s going the UFA route which reduces any ask compared to thinking a trade/sign deal which won’t happen here.

Reactions: Huffer

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Hamonic (@ 50% retained [$2m]) + Bennett + 2nd for Barrie + Johnsson

Hamonic has 1yr left - Barrie has 1yr left (better player)
Bennett has 2yrs - AJ has 4yrs (better player better contract)

Since Barrie and AJ are the better players and since AJ has 4yrs left on contract a draft pick is required to make up the difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad