Flames fire Geoff Ward, name Darryl Sutter head coach

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It's a solid hire. Oilers should have looked into that.

There's no way this guy didn't receive other calls in the last few years despite his so-called "retirement". He has been an incredibly successful NHL coach. I've been impressed since his days in San Jose. People consider him old because he started coaching very young and had lots of long gigs. But he's around the same age as many other current coaches.

He has already accomplished everything so he had the luxury to say "no" unless the perfect opportunity presented itself.

Really curious to see if/how this long time away from hockey will impact him.

Are the Flames keeping the rest of the coaching staff?
I imagine Darryl will want his own guys at some point. Personally, I'd love to see Tim Hunter as an assistant behind the bench. And maybe someone that know how to coach defencemen!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I already pointed out my stupidity, he adapted well with a good roster and was a fine post 2005 lockout coach comparatively.
Maybe that came out wrong, I was sincerely asking were his teams just clutch and grab. I don't recall, and it wasn't that long ago LA won 2 cups. My recollection was they were big physical teams that rode good goaltending, and always recalled they were at the top of the league in Corsi, which proxies possession. The reason I point to this, is I am reading his methodologies are outdated, but CF% metrics and advanced stats really began when the Kings used this metric to win 2 cups. For the record, I don't think you can just pinpoint having a high CF% to winning. But to me, if possession metrics are still considered what the new age coaches use today, then Sutter would have been at the forefront of this.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Calgary Flames have lacked an identity the last couple of years. They wanted to be known as being hard to play against, but failed.

If folks recall the last time Sutter coached Calgary they took on his identity and were hard to play against.

This will happen again I am sure.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I just hope he isn't the GM again. He sure sucked at that part.

I've always been of the opinion that yeah, while he wasn't a great GM on record, I don't think he deserves as much criticism as he gets. I feel like some of the acquisitions and trades he did was because he got players he felt fit a role if he were coaching them but the coaches he hired didn't see or execute the same way he would have. Remember, he was one of the last people who did both coach and GM duties full time before ownership made him stick with GM. He even said during an interview once that he would have much preferred to be behind the bench.

His drafting record is pretty atrocious though.

Last edited:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Maybe that came out wrong, I was sincerely asking were his teams just clutch and grab. I don't recall, and it wasn't that long ago LA won 2 cups. My recollection was they were big physical teams that rode good goaltending, and always recalled they were at the top of the league in Corsi, which proxies possession. The reason I point to this, is I am reading his methodologies are outdated, but CF% metrics and advanced stats really began when the Kings used this metric to win 2 cups. For the record, I don't think you can just pinpoint having a high CF% to winning. But to me, if possession metrics are still considered what the new age coaches use today, then Sutter would have been at the forefront of this.
Sutter actually had a quote saying that the key to defense these days is having the puck more than the other team. He was very much ahead of the curve with possession priority hockey.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
images

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This was an excellent move by CGY. He is exactly what the team needs. I believe coaches like Sutter have short expiry dates but they get a lot out of their teams in the short term. If the team can't get something going under him then there will be major player shakeups following.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I've always been of the opinion that yeah, while he wasn't a great GM on record, I don't think he deserves as much criticism as he gets. I feel like some of the acquisitions and trades he did was because he got players he felt fit a role if he were coaching them but the coaches he hired didn't see or execute the same way he would have. Remember, he was one of the last people who did both coach and GM duties full time before ownership made him stick with GM. He even said during an interview once that he would have much preferred to be behind the bench.

His drafting record is pretty atrocious though.
It is the drafting and trading away all the first round picks lol. The Phaneuf deal was also bad

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He's literally been a farmer for the last 3 years. Will there be coaching rust?
No. Coaches with that long of a track record know their own deficiencies and find the people to fill those holes.

The basic behavioral and mental needs to be successful don't change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad