Flames fire Geoff Ward, name Darryl Sutter head coach

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Oh come on . Stop making stuff up to support your ridiculous suggestion.
Lanny is loved but I've NEVER heard anyone say he should be the coach or GM... and I've lived in Calgary for 40 years.
Im not saying it's people making an informed suggestion, but when talking around the water fountain and the flames fans argue about firing the coach someone always has to suggest Lanny. I could post Facebook Messenger conversations if I really felt it was worth my time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Im not saying it's people making an informed suggestion, but when talking around the water fountain and the flames fans argue about firing the coach someone always has to suggest Lanny. I could post Facebook Messenger conversations if I really felt it was worth my time.
If some people are suggesting Lanny its most likely he's the only hockey name they know of thats associated with the Flames. People like that watch one or two games a year, if the Flames are in the playoffs, to see what all the excitement is about.
Next time you hear something like that, smile and bite your tongue and walk away, and DON'T repeat it on a hockey forum. Repeating something like that makes you sound just as ridiculous as the uninformed idiot who said it in the first place.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
If some people are suggesting Lanny its most likely he's the only hockey name they know of thats associated with the Flames. People like that watch one or two games a year, if the Flames are playoffs in the playoffs, to see what all the excitement is about.
Next time you hear something like that, smile and bite your tongue and walk away, and DON'T repeat it on a hockey forum. Repeating something like that makes you sound just as ridiculous as the uninformed idiot who said it in the first place.
Or maybe you just take things too seriously on a hockey forum? Besides it's not like a pro sports team would ever hire someone unqualified for a job just because they are part of the old boys club.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Or maybe you just take things too seriously on a hockey forum? Besides it's not like a pro sports team would ever hire someone unqualified for a job just because they are part of the old boys club.
Ok..we're done. I can't help you. I'm walking away as I smile and bite my tongue. :thumbu:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Flames finally stopped bringing in stop gap goalies by signing Markstrom.

Then they finally stopped bringing in amateur coaches by bringing back Sutter.

Now it's time to finally stop hiring rookie GM's and time to let Brad Treloving go. Either bring back Brian Burke or offer Lanny MacDonald a contract.

I agree.

In the spirit of diversity and inclusion, Cassie Campbell is such a respected hockey personality that I think the Flames should hire her to replace Treliving as their GM... two birds, one stone concept... get her off of my TV and send the Flames even further down the standings.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
The Kings went from being very mediocre analytically speaking to the best team every season in terms of possession, shots, scoring chances and expected goals for under Sutter.

His systems are the elite of the elite. Combine that with the fact he knows how to get full effort out of his players and mould their mindset to the way it needs to be, it's very exciting times for Flames fans.

The hype is real to have him back.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In all fairness, no sane person drinks gin so clearly he had it coming.
When I was 18 I used to like the taste of the occasional Tom Collins when I first started going to bars. I never could get used to a Martini though.
Over the years my taste buds have regressed... I much prefer a rum and coke or the occasional beer.

Reactions: Shibumi

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Does Cassie Campbell approve of Ward's firing and Sutter's hiring?

That is the main thing I want to know.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Does Cassie Campbell approve of Ward's firing and Sutter's hiring?

That is the main thing I want to know.
Not me. What I want to know is when will Cassie stop doing color commentary for the Flames. As for her opinion about Ward and Sutter... its about as irrelevant as most of the drivel that she regurgitates.

Reactions: shaner8989

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Not me. What I want to know is when will Cassie stop doing color commentary for the Flames. As for her opinion about Ward and Sutter... its about as irrelevant as most of the drivel that she regurgitates.
That isn't going to happen. Cassie Campbell is here to stay. She will be doing commentary for Flames games as long as she wants to do it.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The Kings went from being very mediocre analytically speaking to the best team every season in terms of possession, shots, scoring chances and expected goals for under Sutter.

His systems are the elite of the elite. Combine that with the fact he knows how to get full effort out of his players and mould their mindset to the way it needs to be, it's very exciting times for Flames fans.

I am optimistic he makes us better but we aren't the Kings.

We have a LOT of soft and overrated players. Monahan and Backlund are completely worthless and that is 2 of your top 3 centers right there.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Sutter will help, but the bottom line is the team just doesn’t have the players. I think where Sutter will help the most is in deciding who should stay and who should go next offseason.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

let me know when the Flames have a #1 center of the caliber of Kopitar, or a #1 defenseman in his prime like Doughty
or a goalie like Quick (Markstrom ain't close)
heck, the Flames don't have anyone as good as Iginla or Kipper on that team at the moment

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Idiots suggest all sorts of things. I'm not a Flames fan, but I have met Lanny, and he seems to be in the perfect position for what he brings - as an amazing public relations guy to build report with the community. For what its worth, someone asked him about coaching when I was speaking with Lanny, and he said he had no interest. Now maybe that's a smokescreen, but I suspect that if Lanny McDonald had wanted to be a coach or GM, he would have had the opportunity to work his way up to those positions with the Flames.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I thought Sutter was basically retired? Kinda interesting. He had a very good run with the Kings, but I wonder if the game has evolved past him now.

Could the Flames not have hired Gallant or Boudreau?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I thought Sutter was basically retired? Kinda interesting. He had a very good run with the Kings, but I wonder if the game has evolved past him now.

Could the Flames not have hired Gallant or Boudreau?
I assume that both Gallant and Boudreau are still living in the USA. If that's the case they would have to submit to a 14 day quarantine as per protocol. Two weeks is a long time, in a very short season, to be without your head coach.. especially when the coach will have to make significant changes upon arrival.
Then of course there is the whole hiring/interview process which also takes time. Most Flames fans know that the club has kept in touch with Sutter and the club is quite familiar with his qualifications and thoughts and methods regarding coaching... and he only lives 370 kms up the road.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
It's likely that neither Gallant or Boudreau have any interest in coaching in Canada let alone come to Alberta. Gallant is still getting paid this year by Vegas and Boudreau has pubically stated that he would like to coach the Kraken.

Also, to mirror what others have said, outside of this thread I've never heard anyone say that Lanny should be the Flames coach or GM.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I assume that both Gallant and Boudreau are still living in the USA. If that's the case they would have to submit to a 14 day quarantine as per protocol. Two weeks is a long time, in a very short season, to be without your head coach.. especially when the coach will have to make significant changes upon arrival.
Then of course there is the whole hiring/interview process which also takes time. Most Flames fans know that the club has kept in touch with Sutter and the club is quite familiar with his qualifications and thoughts and methods regarding coaching... and he only lives 370 kms up the road.

Yah the quarantine length is definitely a concern, but if you're hiring a coach for the medium-long term, it shouldn't really change your thinking all that much, unless the Flames are singularly focussed on this season.

I think Larry Hanson has it more or less right that Gallant/Boudreau probably don't want to come to Canada. I can definitely see one of them taking over Seattle though.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Sutter will help, but the bottom line is the team just doesn’t have the players. I think where Sutter will help the most is in deciding who should stay and who should go next offseason.

Agreed. This season is much more about deciding who stays and who needs to go while getting Sutter's systems in place and moulding the players minds the way they need to be so that next season is a full go right from the start than it is about trying to make noise in the Playoffs (or even get there) this year.

let me know when the Flames have a #1 center of the caliber of Kopitar, or a #1 defenseman in his prime like Doughty
or a goalie like Quick (Markstrom ain't close)
heck, the Flames don't have anyone as good as Iginla or Kipper on that team at the moment

Calm down there, buddy. In no part of my post that you responded to did I say the Flames are now Cup favorites lol all I said is that Sutter is an elite coach (easily top 5 in the NHL anytime he's coached) between his systems (analytically dominant in every way) style (give maximum effort or get benched + having the ability to mould the minds of players into believing and having full confidence in winning).

Sutter is the best coach the Flames' could've asked for. He's going to figure out who should stay and who needs to go, while getting prepped for next season (or maybe the Flames still squeeze into the Playoffs, in which case Sutter already has them playing excellent hockey). Combine that with his history here, it's a very exciting time to be a Flames fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00