News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
His qo is probably cheaper than what he'll get in arbitration

Might be, but Tkachuk could've went filed himself and didn't. Maybe he wanted to drag it out into the season but I'd also understand taking the $9 million guaranteed as opposed to taking a chance on whatever an arbitrator thinks. There's some good comps but also some not so good ones and I'm not sure what an arbitrator would award on a one year deal.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Might be, but Tkachuk could've went filed himself and didn't. Maybe he wanted to drag it out into the season but I'd also understand taking the $9 million guaranteed as opposed to taking a chance on whatever an arbitrator thinks. There's some good comps but also some not so good ones and I'm not sure what an arbitrator would award on a one year deal.
Because the Flames opted for arbitration in the second team window, they have to submit at least $9 million as their offer to the arbitrator. So he is getting that. This was just to buy time.

Reactions: mouser and Lurch

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
My bet is he’s traded to Ottawa for a 1st + Batherson + Docker for MT if he agrees to a long term contract like the Stone deal (not cap hit wise - I mean instantly signed after being moved)

Batherson off sets some of the needed cap. Dealing now the get MT a year earlier than they otherwise could. They also remove St.Louis, Det or whomever tries throwing their hat in the ring.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That changed with the new CBA: Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
  • Arbitration Ruling:
    • Player & Club can settle on a deal at any point prior to the commencement of the hearing (Prior to the 2020 MOU, a settlement could be made at any point prior to the arbitration decision)
Thanks, I did not know they changed it, yet commencement would still be the end, so I'd assume they know about when that would be in lawyer time.

Anyway, I am still unsure why the Flames do this, yet as you have stated, this does prevent a hold out, but still this seems like a strange way to go about as they could have just waited to see what he did, and have the leverage of him not accruing a season towards UFA, he was not going to with-go that.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A thing of note:

SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
Tooltip
AAV
Tooltip
P. BONUSES
Tooltip
S. BONUSES
Tooltip
BASE SALARY
Tooltip
TOTAL SALARY
Tooltip
MINORS SAL
Tooltip
2019-20$7,000,000$7,000,000$0$4,000,000$1,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,000
2020-21$7,000,000$7,000,000$0$3,500,000$3,500,000$7,000,000$7,000,000
2021-22$7,000,000$7,000,000$0$0$9,000,000$9,000,000$9,000,000
TOTAL$21,000,000$21,000,000$0$7,500,000$13,500,000$21,000,000$21,000,000

By signing a back-heavy contract back in the day that mostly pays in base salary, Tkatchuk effectively paid money to have the 9M QO at the expiration of his now-expired SPC, and also to have the starting bid in a club-elected arbitration to be 7.65M (85 %) or 9M (100 %).

Tkatchuk's camp thought out the scenarios that are now playing out already in 2019.

Reactions: Lurch

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thanks, I did not know they changed it, yet commencement would still be the end, so I'd assume they know about when that would be in lawyer time.

Anyway, I am still unsure why the Flames do this, yet as you have stated, this does prevent a hold out, but still this seems like a strange way to go about as they could have just waited to see what he did, and have the leverage of him not accruing a season towards UFA, he was not going to with-go that.

I think they are afraid that he was going to accept his QO and basically walk himself to UFA in a year.

But if they're afraid of that, I don't think it's looking good for him staying there anyway.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Tkachuk wasn’t going to “hold out.” He likely going to sign the QO and play the year. This buys extra negotiating time.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think they are afraid that he was going to accept his QO and basically walk himself to UFA in a year.
If this goes through to the arbitration award (and not a negotiated contract before the hearing), the award will do exactly this same thing and possibly be a little bit more expensive than the QO.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If this goes through to the arbitration award (and not a negotiated contract before the hearing), the award will do exactly this same thing and possibly be a little bit more expensive than the QO.
But they get the extra time to negotiate a deal with him or a trade where the other team may not be locked into 1-year

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Laine is btw currently in the same situation as Tkatchuk. He does have an open QO of 7.5M and didn't file for arbitration. Unlike Flames, Columbus didn't use the second club-election window to file for arbitration with Laine.

Reactions: Mido

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Man if CGY went full nuclear they could really get some top prospects and tons and tons of picks,
Tkachuk goes for top prospect+1st or even 2 1sts and blue chipper
Mangiapane is worth a 1st++
Anderson 1st++
Lindholm 1st++
Hanifin 1st+
ALSO +means a prospect or 1st. So that would be a combo of 14 1sts/top prospects.
As a Leaf fan its exciting to see a bunch of kids join the roster at once, if cgy blows it up they will have max a 3yr suck cycle then be playoff caliber again.

This dumbass team wouldn’t rebuild if it was the last thing on earth

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Only a matter of time before Calgary has to trade him so this arbitration paperwork doesn't make much difference.

Reactions: viper0220

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This buys them negotiating time, they've had a year since before his last contract was going to end to negotiate, is it really going to change from now to whenever the arbitration date is?

This is two things, they thought either he would sign an offer sheet they would not match, which possibly they would not have, and faced fan backlash.

Or they did not want him to hold out, in which case, he may have to start the year yet then the leverage would have gone to the Flames as he was not going to just not play and put himself in the same position as he is in right now.

Again, I have no ill will here toward the Flames, I am really just trying to figure out their logic, and I'm guessing at this point its the first thing I said. They might have been better off taking the offer sheet compensation yet did not want to be in that position.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But they get the extra time to negotiate a deal with him or a trade where the other team may not be locked into 1-year
I'm not at all sure if Flames are allowed to trade him now that they filed for club-elected arbitration. The wording in the CBA are hazy, but as the protocol goes, after the award is awarded, the team and the player promptly sign an SPC. I assume trading Tkatchuk is currently prohibited.

Flames would probably have to do it as a sign&trade where specifically the Flames have to sign him for whatever SPC so that they get the arbitration proceedings voided before trading him to a new team.

Maybe Flames told him to try and negotiate a long-term SPC with some other team, so Flames can have long-term signed Tkachuk to trade instead of pending UFA Tkatchuk. The former will fetch a nicer price.

Last edited:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The NHL is starting to feel like the NBA. A few relevant markets and the players constantly flipping teams.

It’s hard to feel any loyalty to a franchise or get invested in specific players when the faces keep changing.

Reactions: Rockmorton

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
This exemplified of why CBA needs some adjustment with RFA and UFA agreement with the player's union. I would raise the UFA age to 32 but I would introduce the RFA compensatory rate. As of right now, RFA offer sheet is rarely used because teams are not willing to give up 4 1st and the potential right to match. So I would keep the system as of right now for players under 26 with RFA but players between 26 to 32 would still be RFA but team will not have the right to match but lower the compensation rate from 4 1st round pick to maybe 3 1st round pick but right to match is gone so therefore there will be flurry of moves but it will ensure the teams to see their own draft pick in their prime years until they are 32.

I think that this system will work well so that teams don't lose anyone for nothing. Maybe age of 32 is too long but age of 30 would have been reasonable. The reason I bring up age of 32 is pre-2004 CBA compensation where UFA was 32 if my memory serves me right. I mean, the owner invested most of their money toward development for them to lose a player for nothing and players benefitted from this and exploited this UFA/RFA as seen by recent transaction.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Should have traded him... now all cup contenders are near the cap

Weclome to out of the flames hands when they were trying to re-sign Johnny who decided to enter FA and go elsewhere. Their hands out tied here all cause of another player.

This exemplified of why CBA needs some adjustment with RFA and UFA agreement with the player's union. I would raise the UFA age to 32 but I would introduce the RFA compensatory rate. As of right now, RFA offer sheet is rarely used because teams are not willing to give up 4 1st and the potential right to match. So I would keep the system as of right now for players under 26 with RFA but players between 26 to 32 would still be RFA but team will not have the right to match but lower the compensation rate from 4 1st round pick to maybe 3 1st round pick but right to match is gone so therefore there will be flurry of moves but it will ensure the teams to see their own draft pick in their prime years until they are 32.

I think that this system will work well so that teams don't lose anyone for nothing. Maybe age of 32 is too long but age of 30 would have been reasonable. The reason I bring up age of 32 is pre-2004 CBA compensation where UFA was 32 if my memory serves me right. I mean, the owner invested most of their money toward development for them to lose a player for nothing and players benefitted from this and exploited this UFA/RFA as seen by recent transaction.

The union would never agree to that.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Weclome to out of the flames hands when they were trying to re-sign Johnny who decided to enter FA and go elsewhere. Their hands out tied here all cause of another player.

The union would never agree to that.
You might be right but think about this, sooner or later, the owner will be fed up of this charades by the players' action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad