News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

Ledge And Dairy

So what, Tkachuk has been so uncooperative in negotiations that Calgary is at a point where they'll accept Tkachuk being a UFA in one or two years? Is there any other way to interpret this?
Maybe one that makes sense? Whether he simply accepted his QO or either side filed for arbitration the max term he was getting from the QO/Arbitrator was 1 year, not 2.

The filing simply avoids an OS possibility and sets an extended deadline for negotiations. This was a very logical choice regardless of who the RFA was.

People are reading way too much into this like it's some sort of panic move when it was pretty clearly going to happen

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
It’s pretty well known Tkachuk is either going to go to St. Louis or Ottawa. Hockey is going the way of the NBA. There is very little loyalty from players to their team or their fans. It is what it is. Just a sign of the times. Same with PLD is going to go to the Habs as soon as he is able be it trade or free agency.
I don’t think anyone wants this and I hope the owners stop it from happening somehow

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
...I believe it's his decision on the length of 1 or 2 years, iirc...
Nope, arbitration can only award RFA years and since he only has one left, any award would be for that single year.

The Flames must have really thought he would have signed an offer sheet, and they'd rather take this chance than deal with an offer sheet. Which seems a little odd as they probably would have matched anything that came about and had him long term.

Not sure I get this move unless he is willing to sign with the Flames for something long term, yet is for less than whatever any offer-sheet could have been for.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
I've heard nothing but bad things about those confrontations. MT is now the Flames' alpha dog - pissing him off would be a bad thing wouldn't it?

Or Tkachuk just smiles and nods his way through the hearing en route to a one-year contract, knowing he will get to drop his own “I knew it was best if we didn’t return to Calgary” soundbite next July.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Or Tkachuk just smiles and nods his way through the hearing en route to a one-year contract, knowing he will get to drop his own “I knew it was best if we didn’t return to Calgary” soundbite next July.
True. If his long game is to wind up in St. Louis or Ottawa (or Columbus?) this may do it. The Flames could play right into his hands.

Ledge And Dairy

Nope, arbitration can only award RFA years and since he only has one left, any award would be for that single year.

The Flames must have really thought he would have signed an offer sheet, and they'd rather take this chance than deal with an offer sheet. Which seems a little odd as they probably would have matched anything that came about and had him long term.

Not sure I get this move unless he is willing to sign with the Flames for something long term, yet is for less than whatever any offer-sheet could have been for.
This wasn't about an offer sheet, it was to give them more guaranteed negotiation time than Friday but also not too much that it spills over into the next season

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah protects from offersheet and a camp hold out.
Thats the big thing. The Flames werent worried about an offer sheet, there are no teams that have the space and are one he would be willing to sign with. They were worried about him dragging negations out. This gives a deadline. Problem is that it also means if he gets a 1 year deal there is no new extension possible until January.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I don’t think anyone wants this and I hope the owners stop it from happening somehow
Not sure they can. Look at Fox , Trouba, etc. Giroux in the playoffs pretty much said he’d only go to the panthers, and now signed where he resides in Ottawa. No doubt Patrick Kane will only accept a trade to the Rangers. Gaudreau, Tavares wanted to go home or close to it. This is the Nhl now whether we like it or not. Some players will stay loyal and some will choose their own destination via free agency or trade demand, it may have always been that way it just seems more prevalent recently.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Maybe Tkachuk was worried about Cgy matching a long term offer?
If he wants out trade him to the yotes for some of their really good prospects. Kinda would be karma to play in a college barn and it may teach him to be a lil more professional.
Let me tell ya as a Leaf fan I will be praying for a massive cap increase for 2023-24 and Tkachuk wanting to play for the Leafs. Him and Marner together were magic.

BlamBlam

Jan 25, 2010
Band-aid is going to get ripped off this Flames core. Doubt Treliving is going to be around to be the one to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad