News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
did people just see what debrincat got in a trade? A mid rd 1 pick and a song…and he has 2 more yrs left as an rfa one of them being a 6 schmill caphit. Flames fans thinking they will get some mega haul for Tkachuk are going to be hugely dissapointed.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Well Tkachuk wouldn't sign a longer term offer sheet anyway, as that would be doing the Flames a huge favor, so it makes sense to do this really.

Ledge And Dairy

did people just see what debrincat got in a trade? A mid rd 1 pick and a song…and he has 2 more yrs left as an rfa one of them being a 6 schmill caphit. Flames fans thinking they will get some mega haul for Tkachuk are going to be hugely dissapointed.
7th OA is a mid 1st?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well a 115 pt player signed for 9.75 so it has to be under that
Yes because 1 prime year is the same as the contract that takes you straight into retirement. You can start preparing your body for that 12 mil cap hit.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Man if CGY went full nuclear they could really get some top prospects and tons and tons of picks,
Tkachuk goes for top prospect+1st or even 2 1sts and blue chipper
Mangiapane is worth a 1st++
Anderson 1st++
Lindholm 1st++
Hanifin 1st+
ALSO +means a prospect or 1st. So that would be a combo of 14 1sts/top prospects.
As a Leaf fan its exciting to see a bunch of kids join the roster at once, if cgy blows it up they will have max a 3yr suck cycle then be playoff caliber again.

Reactions: Iggys Dome and Bond

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Not sure they can. Look at Fox , Trouba, etc. Giroux in the playoffs pretty much said he’d only go to the panthers, and now signed where he resides in Ottawa. No doubt Patrick Kane will only accept a trade to the Rangers. Gaudreau, Tavares wanted to go home or close to it. This is the Nhl now whether we like it or not. Some players will stay loyal and some will choose their own destination via free agency or trade demand, it may have always been that way it just seems more prevalent recently.
I’d actually guess Kane would be pretty open for trades but the go to Buffalo as a UFA if Chicago won’t take him back

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Thats the big thing. The Flames werent worried about an offer sheet, there are no teams that have the space and are one he would be willing to sign with. They were worried about him dragging negations out. This gives a deadline. Problem is that it also means if he gets a 1 year deal there is no new extension possible until January.
You don't think he'd sign with a revamped DET? They're likely wild card spot bound this season & have more really good prospects on the way + Tons of Cap.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
At this point they should just hope for an offer sheet. Probably would get the best haul for him that way.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
It’s pretty well known Tkachuk is either going to go to St. Louis or Ottawa. Hockey is going the way of the NBA. There is very little loyalty from players to their team or their fans. It is what it is. Just a sign of the times. Same with PLD is going to go to the Habs as soon as he is able be it trade or free agency.
He aint coming to Ottawa. We don't have the cap space, and I strongly doubt he'll want to come to a team led by his younger brother and play 2nd fiddle to him. Don't see it happening tbh.

Reactions: Neiler

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As a Leaf fan its exciting to see a bunch of kids join the roster at once, if cgy blows it up they will have max a 3yr suck cycle then be playoff caliber again.
Yeah nothing more exciting than going from winning the division to 3 years of certain losing.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
New Jersey had a massive deal on the table too…

I love this off-season guys. Hahaha

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Treliving still refusing to tear it down and enter a rebuild. As an Oilers fan, I’m cool with that, let the tanking commence only after the 2023 Draft. :nod:
If Treliving's bosses tell him he cannot rebuild he can either resign or do what he's told. Even if he wanted to rebuild he might not be able to.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Unfortunately Johnny cannon just showed what a 115 pt winger makes in a post pandemic world.

9.5 x 1 and he walks to St. Louis
The team can't use that contract as a comparable in arbitration as it's a UFA deal, but the player can use the Matthews deal as a RFA comparable. (and that was under a lower cap ceiling)

Anyway, I have no ill will towards the Flames or anything, actually I hope this works well for them, mostly because the Rangers are going to have to go through this soon as well, just probably not with a player that had ~100 point season, unless some of their pending RFAs really break out.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
There is some overeacting going on here.

The move makes complete and total sense from CGY's perspective as they now regain a bit of control and kick the can down the road for a few days, the arbitration hearings will begin on July 27th. They now know that Tkachuk will be in training camp with a signed contract. They are no longer facing the threat of an offer sheet.

Had they NOT brought Tkachuk to arbitration, the power is entirely in Tkachuk's hands.

- He could have signed the 1 year/9 M QO before Friday's deadline (July 22nd) and bolted next summer as a UFA. So at the very least, Calgary bought themselves at least 5 more days to try and convince Tkachuk to sign long-term.

- He could have told the Flames come mid-September: ''I am holding out and I will only sign a long-term deal with these 2 teams, so you might as well move me to 1 of them to maximize value.''

- He could have signed an offer sheet, although this was very unlikely. Keep in mind when you match an OS you can't trade that player for a calendar year. A 1 year OS would have been a disaster for the Flames.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Meh, lots of assumptions being made in this thread - some of them baseless.

Everyone and their cat knows that the Tkachuk clan are a tough negotiating family. This is a given.

This move is not going to 'piss Tkachuk off' lol. Why would it? Who is going to sign him to an offer-sheet right now? Not many clubs can add 10 million in cap space at the moment - and of those that can, doubtful Tkachuk would want to join that club.

Maybe Calgary trades him. Maybe they re-sign him. I guess we will have to wait and see. This gives the Flames more time to continue to negotiate and hammer out a new deal - or find a willing partner and allow that new team to negotiate an extension for themselves if they want. It is not only a smart move (haha at the dumbass comment - literally would have been a dumbass move NOT to do this), it was actually the expected move.

But sure, let's just continue panicking because one star player didn't have the courage to tell the team he wanted to be closer to mommy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad