News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Lol Matthews and Marner never went to arbitration because they were never eligible, and there deals were heavily front loaded. Not even remotely comparable examples.

The best example of an arbitrary case for anyone anywhere Tkachuk's case is Weber in 2011 where he got 11.66% of the cap. In todays market that translates to just over 9.6M. There is very little ground to justify he gets much more than that.

I agree the OS part is irrelevant.

The #1 reason for this was to avoid the QO and a potential hold out

How does it at all show that?
You left out that Weber received a 66% raise in salary. And is a defender, also that he signed again as an RFA for 13.10% of the cap the very next year.

I agree the front loading and UFA years involved skew the comparable contracts, yet RFA forwards who signed more recently who put up less point before signing can not just be swept away.

Eichel for instance had no front loading or back loading, 13.33% of cap, off a 64 point season. Given that was an 8 year deal where 4 of those years were UFA.

Matthews has 1 UFA year and 4 RFA years, 14.64% of cap, off a 73 point season. Even without using the front loaded portion of that deal, that 14% over 4/5th of his contract has to be a consideration.

I know both sides can use stats in arbitration, I know they can use what other RFAs received, how much consideration they put into the structures of those deals, or the amount the salary might have differed wihtout any UFA years, how much of a raise percentage they think a player deseves based on how his stats improved since his last contract, I am not sure.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
He could have signed 9M up until July 22 (when the QO expires). Now, because of club elected arbitration during the second period, he will make a minimum of 9M if he so choses to go through arbitration. Dude just got more money (or at worst the same) and he didn't even do anything lol.

Well his QO was 9.9M as it's a 10% raise. His arbitration award will start at 9M so there is a possibility he makes slightly less.. but it will be minimal difference.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Big brothers who are better at hockey than their little brothers don't play 2nd fiddle

Can you name one time when a professional athlete in any of the 4 major leagues in North America chose not to join a particular team, citing their brother playing on that team as the reason why?
Saku wouldn't go to minny because Mikko was there

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Nov 24, 2006
As an outsider, I don’t know Tkachuk‘s feelings about Calgary. Was be always trying to get to UFA as soon as possible to go somewhere else?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well his QO was 9.9M as it's a 10% raise. His arbitration award will start at 9M so there is a possibility he makes slightly less.. but it will be minimal difference.
No, his QO was 100% on prior year's base salary, so 9M. The QOs being 110% applied only to below 660k prior year base salaries and is an obsolete rule now that NHL minimum salary is more than that. For below 1M prior year base salary, the QO is 105 % (but won't exceed 1M).

The 2020 MOU brough a new rule for backheavy contracts signed after the MOU that the QO is lower of the final year's base salary or 120% of the AAV of the contract.

Let me stress: this is not a 20 % "raise", but a cutter at 120% for the cases where the RFA contract is construed to otherwise give an unproprortionately high QO at its expiry.

But, as Tkachuk's expired SPC is from 2019, this new 2020 rule doesn't apply to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MtoD

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Or, he could just try to get to UFA faster and play for the team who drops off the most money at his front door.
these guys will get their money, and they will have options for that money from multiple teams. where they actually want to be is important as well.

If a player facing a self elected or team elected salary arbitration is traded prior to the hearing then the same arbitration rules apply to the New team as they would have for the Old team.

The New team either has to get the player signed before arbitration begins, or deal with the arbitration ruling.
Interesting. Now can the team or player request a continuance to push the arb hearing date back at all?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
UFA July 2023. Flames pretty much have to trade him and get assets. Great draft coming. Might be best to rebuild.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So if I understand this, it was to prevent an outside contract offer?
CGY says that it was, but that statement may be a smokescreen.

Looks like it actually was to

a) give CGY a little time (~two weeks) to try and sign Tkatchuk on a better SPC than his QO which was to expiry on July 22 and which Tkachuk maybe would have signed, and

b) set a fixed deadline for a SPC, any SPC to be signed by the middle of August so that Tkachuk can't drag the negotiations out into the season like Nylander recently did.

As for outside contract offers, if CGY finds out they can't sign Tkachuk long-term, the next best thing may be for them to let Tkachuk get a contract offer of his liking from some other team and trade him there now as a sign&trade.

In that scenario, CGY can't really say out loud that they can't sign Tkachuk and therefore seek to trade him, because that would drive the potential returns down. Much better to play coy and reluctant, while listening for trade offers from teams who have talked with Tkachuk and know he would sign long-term with them.

This newlyset deadline puts pressure also on such teams.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not to mention on a team that has made huge strides personnel wise. Love what they are doing this offseason. Adding Matt, whoah baby! Would be a fun team to watch, that's for sure! Josh Norris is on my fantasy team as well...I'm all for Ottawa getting better.
Yea Ottawa looks much improved. They’ve also drafted pretty well.

But for those of us close to our siblings, I can’t imagine how amazing it would be to play in an NHL team with a brother. Did you see how happy Jack Hughes was when NJ drafted his little brother Luke?

Can’t even put a price or money on that. That’s a different kind of wealth. A much more meaningful one.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I just said why, to go play where he wants and be UFA next year.
HE IS STILL GOING TO BE A UFA NEXT YEAR IF HE WANTS. THEY CANT ASSIGN HIM AN ARBITRATION RESULT MORE THAN ONE YEAR LONG. AND IT CANT BE FOR LESS THAN 9 MILLION DOLLARS.

please…try to understand literally anything people are explaining to you

he signs his QO…he’s a free agent next year while making 9 mil this year

they take him to arbitration…he’s a free agent next year while making at least 9 mil this year

he signs an one year offer sheer for less like you laid out…he’s a free agent next year while…making…less than 9 mil?

do you see it now?

Evergreen

It hasn’t exactly been a secret that Tkachuk was not going to sign long-term in Calgary. It sucks for Flames fans, especially after losing Gaudreau, but that’s the way it goes sometimes. The Flames need to start bringing in some Alberta natives so guys stop leaving to be closer to family.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
he signs an one year offer sheer for less like you laid out…he’s a free agent next year while…making…less than 9 mil?
But will CGY match that and not be able to trade him, or just cut the losses and take the 1-1-2-3 picks, in which case Tkachuk would play this season in that offersheeting team.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Unless Tkachuk is coming with an extension, it's probably best to get him the 1 year award and retain half and move him now. All the contenders would be able to add him at ~4.5M since they could match that salary easier without blowing up their team.

I don't think it is really a secret that he would want to go to St. Louis. The Flames could move him there now and just get it out of the way, or they could do the above and open their market up. Nashville seems like a logical landing spot. Just signed Forsberg. Their core is in their prime. Added McDonagh as a veteran add to their top 4. Saros is an elite level goalie.

Whatever the Flames do, just don't send him to the Metro please. There is enough really good/elite players in the division.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
0 chance Ottawa can fit him in the cap or has the assets to get him. Batherson makes no sense as to double his cap hit for the headache of negotiation with another Tkachuk, especially since we have him at sub-6M for 4? more years.

Furthermore, don't see any of Batherson, Giroux, or Matthew being okay playing 3RW with near 0 PP time.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Not if they get a trade done before arbitration date and the new teams signs an extension.

I do wonder if he is traded if the new team has to follow through with the club arb process or can they rescind it?
He can sign a long term deal still but I believe he has to go to arbitration if not

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
0 chance Ottawa can fit him in the cap or has the assets to get him. Batherson makes no sense as to double his cap hit for the headache of negotiation with another Tkachuk, especially since we have him at sub-6M for 4? more years.

Furthermore, don't see any of Batherson, Giroux, or Matthew being okay playing 3RW with near 0 PP time.
But if Hockey Canada decides ...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I don't think the Flames or any other team would be interested in Batherson at this point. You don't have to worry about it.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
What are trade offer expectations? Assuming the acquiring team would be able to negotiate an extension

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad