News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The offersheet while highly unlikely is a scarey threat. If tkachuk took a 1 year offersheet for $8.4m the flames would be massively screwed. If they match they can't trade him that season (offersheet rules), hence he's becomes a 2023 UFA and they get Gaudreau'd. If they don't match they only get a rubbish return of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

For tkachuk signing the QO has downsides. He risks getting an injured with only a 1 year deal as a safety net. He risks seeing 10s of millions disappear from his next big contract if he has a down year without Gaudreau. Worse Calgary could shove him on the second line out of spite.

The best outcome for both Calgary and tkachuk is they find another team and agree on a contract then trade+sign.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The offersheet while highly unlikely is a scarey threat. If tkachuk took a 1 year offersheet for $8.4m the flames would be massively screwed. If they match they can't trade him that season (offersheet rules), hence he's becomes a 2023 UFA and they get Gaudreau'd. If they don't match they only get a rubbish return of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

For tkachuk signing the QO has downsides. He risks getting an injured with only a 1 year deal as a safety net. He risks seeing 10s of millions disappear from his next big contract if he has a down year without Gaudreau. Worse Calgary could shove him on the second line out of spite.

The best outcome for both Calgary and tkachuk is they find another team and agree on a contract then trade+sign.
You think Matthew Tkachuk, from the notorious hardball Tkachuk family, would take $600,000 less than his qualifying offer for the purpose of simply screwing the Flames over though?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
How do they avoid the QO?

He could have signed it at any time prior to the club electing for arbitration. He's had it in front of him for a month.

Now he can't sign it, but he's guaranteed at least that by the arbitrator award. He could have his cat go the hearing and end up better off than just signing the QO.
Well they bought a week or two to work on a sign and trade if they want. Something they couldn't do if he took the QO. They are scrambling for time, whether the plan is signing, trading or just convincing ownership to blow it up. Calgary is desperate for time.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
There is no plan. That was apparent earlier this off-season.

But sure, more time to see if they can come up with one.

Reactions: viper0220

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You think Matthew Tkachuk, from the notorious hardball Tkachuk family, would take $600,000 less than his qualifying offer for the purpose of simply screwing the Flames over though?

Sure. It's late offseason, he's still not signed and the flames are not offering the money he wants and trying to lock him into Calgary on an 8 year contract. Any decent offersheet would look good.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Sure. It's late offseason season, he's not signed and the flames are not offering the money he wants and trying to lock him into Calgary on an 8 year contract. Any decent offersheet would look good.
He could have signed for 9M yesterday. The Flames just elected for arbitration that will mean he is now guaranteed to make at minimum 9M. Obviously the 9M has and would have remained on the table at the very least. Tkachuks (especially Keith) have always valued getting paid their worth so taking a minimum 600,000 discount for the only purpose to screw the Flames would be counterintuitive.

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
He could have signed for 9M yesterday. The Flames just elected for arbitration that will mean he is now guaranteed to make at minimum 9M. Obviously the 9M has and would have remained on the table at the very least. Tkachuks (especially Keith) have always valued getting paid their worth so taking a minimum 600,000 discount for the only purpose to screw the Flames would be counterintuitive.

It wouldn't be to screw the Flames...It would be him choosing his team and achieving UFA. The flames would not be able to match.

Very beneficial to MT, devistating for the Flames and they are very fortunate it did not happen.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This is a Tkachuk Contract Situation (tm) we're talking about here. Contract drama is par for the course. It's nothing personal, it literally is about money. Calgary has a decision to make.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Big brothers who are better at hockey than their little brothers don't play 2nd fiddle

Can you name one time when a professional athlete in any of the 4 major leagues in North America chose not to join a particular team, citing their brother playing on that team as the reason why?
In Ottawa, Brady is the captain and this is his team. He will be playing in his shadow, doesn't matter if Matt is more skilled or puts up more points, he will have to follow his younger brother's lead or he wont fit in. We drafted Brady and gave him the reins, and Matt will be coming in as the outsider, he's always going to be 2nd fiddle to his younger brother here, both from a team and fan's perspective. Might cause serious tension, doubt Matt would be good with coming here. That's just my hunch. Besides, he doesn't fit our cap anyhow.

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
This is a Tkachuk Contract Situation (tm) we're talking about here. Contract drama is par for the course. It's nothing personal, it literally is about money. Calgary has a decision to make.
I doubt it, I'd guess with the way the off season has gone for Calgary they have offered him a blank check and he won't take it because he wants out. I'd be very surprised if this was about getting more money in Calgary.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It wouldn't be to screw the Flames...It would be him choosing his team and achieving UFA. The flames would not be able to match.

Very beneficial to MT, devistating for the Flames and they are very fortunate it did not happen.
Why would Tkachuk sign an offer sheet 600k below his QO?

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Ledge And Dairy

How do they avoid the QO?

He could have signed it at any time prior to the club electing for arbitration. He's had it in front of him for a month.

Now he can't sign it, but he's guaranteed at least that by the arbitrator award. He could have his cat go the hearing and end up better off than just signing the QO.
He could have signed it right away yes. But he didn't. And filing prevented him from getting the option to still do it.

Filing for arbitration rarely even means it goes to the hearing. The idea was guaranteed negotiation time and a deadline to make a decision.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I doubt it, I'd guess with the way the off season has gone for Calgary they have offered him a blank check and he won't take it because he wants out. I'd be very surprised if this was about getting more money in Calgary.
For a Tkachuk, that might be a first.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Big brothers who are better at hockey than their little brothers don't play 2nd fiddle

Can you name one time when a professional athlete in any of the 4 major leagues in North America chose not to join a particular team, citing their brother playing on that team as the reason why?
Saku Koivu has explicitly said that he wouldn't go to Minnesota as it was little brother Mikko's team.

-- I think that also puts it into perspective how well he did in the NHL. He certainly wasn’t anymore Saku’s brother. He was Mikko himself, and he made a career for himself.

Saku was asked if that’s why he turned down Minnesota when he became a free agent and went to Anaheim.

Saku: Exactly. I knew that if I wanted to come there, that probably would’ve been possible, but I felt that it was way better for Mikko that he can have his career and he could do his things there. I just didn’t consider that as an option. For a while, it was kind of like, “Oh, we really need a great experience to play together.” But we played on the national team at the Olympics and at the World Cup, which was a lot of fun. But then to do it in the NHL, I just didn’t feel that that’s going to be a great match, in a way. We were the same position. I was getting older. I also didn’t want to put stress on him if I started to struggle and he had to watch that and maybe watch me get criticized. I felt that there was, yes, potential, but at the same time, there were too many risks involved.

Krett Bulak

Jun 21, 2010
This is so sad...

Calgary went from being a full force in the league and will soon be one of the worst for many years to come...

Gaudreau, and then probably Tkachuk, and then Lindholm the year after that...

And let's not forget 27 years old Monahan who went from being a 30 goal, PPG star player to being a cap dump cancer. :(

RIP. I feel for the fans.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
In Ottawa, Brady is the captain and this is his team. He will be playing in his shadow, doesn't matter if Matt is more skilled or puts up more points, he will have to follow his younger brother's lead or he wont fit in. We drafted Brady and gave him the reins, and Matt will be coming in as the outsider, he's always going to be 2nd fiddle to his younger brother here, both from a team and fan's perspective. Might cause serious tension, doubt Matt would be good with coming here. That's just my hunch. Besides, he doesn't fit our cap anyhow.

Most fans don't care about which player wears the C

Matthews isn't the captain in Toronto, Tavares is. Do you think Matthews feels as though he's playing 2nd fiddle?

Also, depending on their relationship, it might become very apparent to the rest of the players in the room that there is still that big brother/little brother hierarchy from their childhood, and Brady might defer to Matthew (pure conjecture on my part, just throwin' possibilities around for consideration)

But as you said, you're basing it on a hunch, but history shows that bros are usually quite keen to play alongside each other, not only for themselves, but it actually makes it quite a bit easier on their parents as well with only team to root for, and one city to visit

Luke Hughes didn't seem all that disappointed he'd be playing in Jack's shadow up in Jersey

Scotty Niedermayer left the Devils to join Anaheim for the sole purpose of playing with his brother

I don't remember Jordan being upset about joining Eric in Carolina

So, I find it hard to believe that Matthew would view playing with Brady as anything other than a unique, and positive experience

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Saku Koivu has explicitly said that he wouldn't go to Minnesota as it was little brother Mikko's team.

He touches on it a little, but seems to lean more towards how his poor play might have a negative impact on his brother, rather than "that's my brother's team, I don't want to play with him, or in his shadow"

"I just didn’t feel that that’s going to be a great match, in a way. We were the same position. I was getting older. I also didn’t want to put stress on him if I started to struggle and he had to watch that and maybe watch me get criticized. I felt that there was, yes, potential, but at the same time, there were too many risks involved."

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He touches on it a little, but seems to lean more towards how his poor play might have a negative impact on his brother, rather than "that's my brother's team, I don't want to play with him, or in his shadow"

"I just didn’t feel that that’s going to be a great match, in a way. We were the same position. I was getting older. I also didn’t want to put stress on him if I started to struggle and he had to watch that and maybe watch me get criticized. I felt that there was, yes, potential, but at the same time, there were too many risks involved."
He has spoken about it in other articles too, in Finnish media, and the gist that I got has always been that Minnesota is "Mikko's team", and he's not going there to mess it up.

Saku Koivu said on Wednesday that the negotiations with the NHL club Minnesota Wild ended on the initiative of the center forward and for personal reasons.

Wild offered Koivu a multi-year contract and the opportunity to play with his brother Mikko in the same team.

- I refused for personal reasons. I felt that Minnesota is Mikko's place right now. I wanted him privacy and peace to build his own name and career. so the fact that we as brothers and family members would compete for the same ice time would have been too risky, Koivu explained his reasons on the website of the Canadian Globe and Mail magazine.

The NHL veteran admitted that both he and his brother were interested in the transfer, but Anaheim still emerged as the number one choice for the center forward.

- For me, this was a safer option and I felt this was more pleasant. When I spoke to Miko today, he understood it completely. I looked at this matter from the older brother's point of view and wanted to respect him, Koivu.
Saku jätti Minnesotan Mikon haltuun via google translate, can't find the original Globe and Mail article right now

Also, Saku is 9 years senior to Mikko, so at some point it was to be expected that Saku's game would fall and Saku would indeed be in Mikko's shadow then, but good luck with getting a pro athlete and big brother to actually admit that.

Last edited:

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Most fans don't care about which player wears the C

Matthews isn't the captain in Toronto, Tavares is. Do you think Matthews feels as though he's playing 2nd fiddle?

Also, depending on their relationship, it might become very apparent to the rest of the players in the room that there is still that big brother/little brother hierarchy from their childhood, and Brady might defer to Matthew (pure conjecture on my part, just throwin' possibilities around for consideration)

But as you said, you're basing it on a hunch, but history shows that bros are usually quite keen to play alongside each other, not only for themselves, but it actually makes it quite a bit easier on their parents as well with only team to root for, and one city to visit

Luke Hughes didn't seem all that disappointed he'd be playing in Jack's shadow up in Jersey

Scotty Niedermayer left the Devils to join Anaheim for the sole purpose of playing with his brother

I don't remember Jordan being upset about joining Eric in Carolina

So, I find it hard to believe that Matthew would view playing with Brady as anything other than a unique, and positive experience
Not the same dynamics, kind of the opposite actually for the Hughes and Staals. Don't recall the Niedermayer situation. But as you mentioned, it's my hunch, just like yours is also just pure speculation. These are two young competitive athletes, and Matt has the ego to go with it. I just don't see him being that comfortable with it. Also, we don't have the cap space at all. Not worth thinking about it one way or another, it aint happening.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why would Tkachuk sign an offer sheet 600k below his QO?
If it's a team he would want to sign for in UFA, I think a gamble of getting there one season earlier could be worth it for him.

But even if discount the offer sheet option, at least it puts a deadline on the contract. Flames want this thing resolved now and not in November.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
If Tkachuk cares about money then it’s in his best interests to sign a long-term deal this off-season - with either the Flames or a team they’re trading him to. He’s not going to sniff 100 points without Gaudreau.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
If a player facing a self elected or team elected salary arbitration is traded prior to the hearing then the same arbitration rules apply to the New team as they would have for the Old team.

The New team either has to get the player signed before arbitration begins, or deal with the arbitration ruling.
Could another reason the Flames doing this be to help protect current trade negotiations?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad