News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
When the dust settles some team is going to pay MT like he is McDavid or Mack and will be hugely disappointed when they realize he is not. Curious to see how he does without JG feeding him. Betting its not 104 points
75 to 80 is what he is away from an elite playmaker. That said, Gaudreau isn't the only elite playmaker out there. There's 10 other guys in the league who could do the same thing for him.

Your point that he isn't a play driver is correct though. He's always played with Backlund or Gaudreau who move the puck up the ice well. It's not a coincidence that the year he didn't (Covid year) was his worst one.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My bet is he’s traded to Ottawa for a 1st + Batherson + Docker for MT if he agrees to a long term contract like the Stone deal (not cap hit wise - I mean instantly signed after being moved)

Batherson off sets some of the needed cap. Dealing now the get MT a year earlier than they otherwise could. They also remove St.Louis, Det or whomever tries throwing their hat in the ring.

Possible. Only thing is Ottawa could find themselves in cap trouble pretty quickly too. They'd have to re-up DeBrincat and Stutzle the following summer and if you have Matt Tkachuk earning say 10.5 mill per on an extension ... all of the sudden, cap space is drying up fast.

Ledge And Dairy

A bit higher?

This is a 104 point player where his agent can bring up other RFA contracts that paid them in total more than 9M. Salary arbitration, not cap hit.

On Toronto alone both Matthews and Marner were paid ~16M in their first RFA year. Marner had a 94 point season, Matthew 73 point seasons at that point. Even if they go with base salary in lieu of bonuses, Eichel as an RFA received 10M base salary after a 64 point season.

Offer sheets, they should have welcomed them, they could have either matched or took the compensation. No team was going to give up 4 1sts (10.5M contract) to sign him to a 1 year deal, nor would any team offer less than that on a multi year deal.

Hold out, fair enough it may have hurt the start of their season, yet even if he did, he still needed a accrued year to make UFA, if he held out he would not get it and Calgary would have held leverage,

Trade, now that he is headed to arbitration, any team who trades for him, he's still headed there unless they sign him to something else prior, and as we see he has the leverage to go and get one year and then be a UFA after

Like I said, I don't get it.
Lol Matthews and Marner never went to arbitration because they were never eligible, and there deals were heavily front loaded. Not even remotely comparable examples.

The best example of an arbitrary case for anyone anywhere Tkachuk's case is Weber in 2011 where he got 11.66% of the cap. In todays market that translates to just over 9.6M. There is very little ground to justify he gets much more than that.

I agree the OS part is irrelevant.

The #1 reason for this was to avoid the QO and a potential hold out

Shows that they don't believe he will sign...
How does it at all show that?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol Matthews and Marner never went to arbitration because they were never eligible, and there deals were heavily front loaded. Not even remotely comparable examples.

The best example of an arbitrary case for anyone anywhere Tkachuk's case is Weber in 2011 where he got 11.66% of the cap. In todays market that translates to just over 9.6M. There is very little ground to justify he gets much more than that.

I agree the OS part is irrelevant.

The #1 reason for this was to avoid the QO and a potential hold out
He'll get more than Kaprizov and less than Marner. I still think he gets moved though.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Possible. Only thing is Ottawa could find themselves in cap trouble pretty quickly too. They'd have to re-up DeBrincat and Stutzle the following summer and if you have Matt Tkachuk earning say 10.5 mill per on an extension ... all of the sudden, cap space is drying up fast.

I could see him signing around 9.5m. The general thought is he'd want either St.Louis or Ottawa most likely. I'd think with his brother already in the fold long term and his QO at 9. a 9.5 x 7 deal should be workable. You have half the contract covered long term moving Batherson.

For if Tkachuk is moving I'd like to see him remain in Canada (bonus out of the Western Conference) and I'd like to see Ottawa enjoy some future success. That top 6 would really be something if they pulled this off.

B.Tkachuk - Norris - M.Tkachuk
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
If Tkachuk was desperate to get out of Calgary, he could've already signed his QO

If he wants out, worst case scenario is that he plays on a 1 year deal that is somewhere in the 9-10M range (either his QO or a similar arbitration award). Not signing his QO and not filing for arbitration himself didn't affect that.

I think this is basically Tkachuk wanting to cash in on a long-term deal coming off a career season that he is not likely to replicate next year. This could be with Calgary for sure.. but also could be hoping that he gets traded to a preferred location by forcing the matter with the Flames.

The Flames filing for arbitration only really puts a deadline on things. I doubt they did it because they were scared of an offer-sheet.. that was probably best case scenario for them as any offer sheet they wouldn't match would likely give them more assets than he's return in a trade. It removes the possibility of Tkachuk dragging this out and interfering with other moves or possibly even sitting out of camp/early season.

Now they will have some sort of deadline between July 27 and August 11 (notably, the new MOU states that once the hearing begins, the parties cannot agree to a deal outside of arbitration). Flames are in the exact same position as before in having to decide whether they are OK with Tkachuk on a 1-year deal, try sign him long-term or trade him while his value is likely highest. Tkachuk still drives that middle option so I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames look to deal him before his arbitration hearing starts to a team who is either willing to see him walk in a year or to one that he can negotiate a contract beforehand with.

Reactions: Lempo

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I could see him signing around 9.5m. The general thought is he'd want either St.Louis or Ottawa most likely. I'd think with his brother already in the fold long term and his QO at 9. a 9.5 x 7 deal should be workable. You have half the contract covered long term moving Batherson.

I think he's going to want more than that especially if it's not St. Louis he's going to.

Brady got 8.25 after a career highs of 45 points at the time, I think Matthew will want Marner tier money for being a 80-100+ point player.

Don't think "discount" is a word in the Tkachuk family dictionary.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think he's going to want more than that especially if it's not St. Louis he's going to.

Brady got 8.25 after a career highs of 45 points at the time, I think Matthew will want Marner tier money for being a 80-100+ point player.

Don't think "discount" is a word in the Tkachuk family dictionary.

Fair, and even around the 10 mark it wouldn't ruin their cap structure. Oh I'd love to see the battles against the Leafs. I'm already excited to see them turning the corner. I could only imagine how fun these Ontario Battles would be.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
1329C1D8-A630-4243-9AFB-AF2A728F5492.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Why would Matt sign long term on a team that can’t keep its star players? Time is running out for Calgary and he will come home to a US based team.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So are the dummies in Flames management going to realize he doesn't want to play here or did they learn from Gaudreau?

Just blow it up please you clowns and let's get some picks in this deep draft.

The ownership is involved in every f***ing thing, as a fan who has spent money on the team it pisses me off, we have won jack shit and all the best players are just leaving.

These clowns will never learn, this ownership need to go before anything meaningful is done with the Flames organization.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He aint coming to Ottawa. We don't have the cap space, and I strongly doubt he'll want to come to a team led by his younger brother and play 2nd fiddle to him. Don't see it happening tbh.

Big brothers who are better at hockey than their little brothers don't play 2nd fiddle

Can you name one time when a professional athlete in any of the 4 major leagues in North America chose not to join a particular team, citing their brother playing on that team as the reason why?

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The ownership is involved in every f***ing thing, as a fan who has spent money on the team it pisses me off, we have won jack shit and all the best players are just leaving.

These clowns will never learn, this ownership need to go before anything meaningful is done with the Flames organization.
Well Tkachuk is gone too now.

Hopefully we get a good haul for him.

Reactions: viper0220

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Man if CGY went full nuclear they could really get some top prospects and tons and tons of picks,
Tkachuk goes for top prospect+1st or even 2 1sts and blue chipper
Mangiapane is worth a 1st++
Anderson 1st++
Lindholm 1st++
Hanifin 1st+
ALSO +means a prospect or 1st. So that would be a combo of 14 1sts/top prospects.
As a Leaf fan its exciting to see a bunch of kids join the roster at once, if cgy blows it up they will have max a 3yr suck cycle then be playoff caliber again.
I dont think Andersson, hanifin or Mangiapane are worth much more than a single first but yeah, they could pick up a ton of pieces. Also Markstrom

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This exemplified of why CBA needs some adjustment with RFA and UFA agreement with the player's union. I would raise the UFA age to 32 but I would introduce the RFA compensatory rate. As of right now, RFA offer sheet is rarely used because teams are not willing to give up 4 1st and the potential right to match. So I would keep the system as of right now for players under 26 with RFA but players between 26 to 32 would still be RFA but team will not have the right to match but lower the compensation rate from 4 1st round pick to maybe 3 1st round pick but right to match is gone so therefore there will be flurry of moves but it will ensure the teams to see their own draft pick in their prime years until they are 32.

I think that this system will work well so that teams don't lose anyone for nothing. Maybe age of 32 is too long but age of 30 would have been reasonable. The reason I bring up age of 32 is pre-2004 CBA compensation where UFA was 32 if my memory serves me right. I mean, the owner invested most of their money toward development for them to lose a player for nothing and players benefitted from this and exploited this UFA/RFA as seen by recent transaction.

There’s no way UFA age could ever be that high.

Basically a team would have a controll of players career for his entire career

Reactions: ruhzy

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
If Tkachuk was desperate to get out of Calgary, he could've already signed his QO
He could have signed 9M up until July 22 (when the QO expires). Now, because of club elected arbitration during the second period, he will make a minimum of 9M if he so choses to go through arbitration. Dude just got more money (or at worst the same) and he didn't even do anything lol.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
So are the dummies in Flames management going to realize he doesn't want to play here or did they learn from Gaudreau?

Just blow it up please you clowns and let's get some picks in this deep draft.
No, they'll find out next off-season when Brad Treliving does he teary eyed media conference while talking about how close they were to signing him.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Most of the people here dont seem to understand this. Its pretty overblown. Calgary is avoiding the QO, an offer sheet, and setting a deadline for negotiations so there's no hold out. Besides that the only thing thats changed is if it still ends up being a 1 year deal (via arbitration hearing), it may be a bit higher than 9M
How do they avoid the QO?

He could have signed it at any time prior to the club electing for arbitration. He's had it in front of him for a month.

Now he can't sign it, but he's guaranteed at least that by the arbitrator award. He could have his cat go the hearing and end up better off than just signing the QO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad