Flames Development Camp

Gary83*

Harrison has pretty nice wheels for a big man.

Johnny Hockey been the most impressive forward today, Knight and Monahan look really good too.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
@Fan960Steinberg: Tough to gain a ton at these skills development sessions, but first observation: Gaudreau looks noticeably bigger and thicker. #Flames

Seriously, I don't care if somebody has to chase the dude down with a measuring tape and scale, I hope we get a definitive answer for his size.

My measurement of him was that he's exactly half a head shorter than Klimchuk when they were side to side. I agree with Steinberg, he's bulked up.

I'll do a full write up while I wait for group B and post some videos and pictures later tonight. I managed to get some beauty videos.

My first impression is that Corban Knight is easily the most NHL ready guy in group A. I will honestly be surprised if he doesn't make it. Obviously a lot to base solely off of one practice drill, but he's got a great package of skills.

Harrison impressed once I manage to actually find him lol. Nice wheels and he absolutely levelled Lewis in one drill. Full ground pound.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Seems like Berra had a few amazing saves, is that correct? How is Klimchuk and Harrison looking?
That's what I have read too. 2 or 3 highlight reel saves for Yogi.

I read Harrison has looked good, good skater and laid someone out with a big hit.

Also read that Klimchuk has looked tired after some of the drills, some fans are questioning his conditioning and others speculating a possible injury.

I got this info from CP from posters at the rink, so of course it is 2nd hand info

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also, Roman Horak is is no longer #51. He showed up at the rink today wearing #21

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Feaster is saying he has no concerns on Gaudreau not signing in the future. On Brodie he says they've offered a multitude of options varying from 1 year to a multi year.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
These are just my shorthand notes. I'll do a more full write up after the camp ends on Monday.

40 - Berra, Reto - G far end, seems to be holding his own. Nice glove. Great on rebounds. Did let a squeaker from the corner. Never gives up, made a beauty sprawling save. I think he's going to challenge more in camp than we thought.

67 - Culkin, Ryan - LD smooth skater. Pretty quick on his feet in the defensive drills

79 - Ferland, Michael - LW - beauty out of the air and in. Nice shot. Lotta heart, lot of battle. Nice one timer.

82 - Gillies, Jon - G - huge man. Good positioning, great reaction cross crease. Quick glove. Pretty awesome on rebounds. Not perfect, but I definitely see the potential. Very very solid goalie.

58 - Hanowski, Ben - RW - smooth skater backwards at least. Doesn't look out of place. Only knock is acceleration. Nice tip in goal.

97 - Harrison, Tim - RW uh just like when he was drafted, I couldn't find him for a while. Nice wheels. Absolutely levels Lewis on a drill

70 - Hoffman, Brody - G - green and yellow pad combo. Interesting. Smallest goalie. Did alright all things considered.

64 - Howse, Ryan - RW - still got a great shot, better skater than I remember. Looks much fitter.

52 - Klimchuk, Morgan - LW - first guy to fall During the Crisscross drill lol. Wow nice hands on puck left right. Impressive hustle. Nice moves. Had some good goals. Liked him a lot

10 - Knight, Corban - C - likes his side to side puck handling. Very nice bulk. Not super tall. Great on the dirty rebound. Hell of a snap shot. Very little doubt in my mind he's NHL ready. Nice backhand. Tenacious.

78 - Lewis, Trey - LD - sick flow, Hanowski esque lol, nice wrister

68 - Martin, James - LD nice skater, big guy. Actually quite impressed. He played far better than I would have expected. Lotta hustle.

23 - Monahan, Sean - C - very smooth skater, fast crossover. Second only to Gaudreau on first deke drill. Nice frame, could use more bulk. Impressive first stride. Beauty pass. Had some nice moves on the 2 on 1's, 2 on 2's and 3 on 2's.

74 - Padakin, Pavlo - RW nice backhand, tall, good skater. Clear winner of speed race first round

84 - Roy, Eric - LD - decent bulk, passes okay, nice slapper. Didn't notice that much overall.

90 - Van Brabrant, Bryce - LW - good on the spins, nice snipe on Gilles

53 - Gaudreau Short yes, but not as bad as I feared. Lost maybe four inches or five on 98, inch or half a head on 52. Silky mitts. Sneaky deceptive shot. Likes to play mind games on the goalies. Beauty snipe on tape. Absolutely undressed Martin. God he's got hands. Can play defense, who knew?

Gelinas is a good drills coach lol. Like a sergeant. Had a brief chat with Gaudreau at the end that ended with them both grinning.

Turboed

Jul 6, 2012
Red Deer, Alberta
I remember a lot of people saying Johnny Hockey was one of the most purely skilled players in his draft class. Assuming we dont trade him away and he signs I'll be getting a gaudreau jersey if/when he makes it to the show.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm pleased with what you've said about Howse. Maybe there's some hope for him after all.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
is howse still under contract with us or did we give him another one?

and ditto on the gaudreau jersey when it comes out, would be a nice addition to #47 :D

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hasn't the knock on howse lately been a fitness thing though? If he looks fitter thats definitely a step towards the right direction.

That's what I was thinking, yeah.

Poor Klimchuk lol, if he's got an injury then there's nothing he can do about it. We haven't lost faith in him :laugh:

Nice to hear about Padakin. Obv as a Hitmen kid some of us are pretty familiar with him but it's nice to see him do well.

What kind of a name is Bryce Van Brabrant? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad