Post-Game Talk: Flames def. Canucks - 5-4 (Garland, Pettersson, McDonough, Beauvillier)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Just because someone doesn’t want to participate in pride event, doesn’t mean he’s a dick.

Btw, if anyone isn’t clear on why the Canucks even held the pride night

by the same logic, shouldn’t we be trying to imagine a grey area where growing the fan base for financial reasons and being inclusive for human reasons can coexist?

vs assuming that any public gesture against discrimination or intolerance is a cynical capitulation to marketing execs and the default in the absence of financial gain is either callous indifference or homophobia/racism/etc?

Reactions: geebster

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Demko's generally been good since he's come back but he hasn't been completely bailing them out like he did last season, and he hasn't been losing us games like the goaltending often did earlier this season.

The reason we got a point in this one is because Markstrom sucked ass. I thought Demko played fine but not wasn't actively good.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Yeah him and his .878 save % saving our asses. 4th game in 5 that it's been under .900. The killer is that Markstrom WON with a save % of .800. Ouch!
41-20 shots, must be nice when you have a nice defensive structure in front of you....

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Having Toffoli score that winner had me thinking about the turning point in the organization that happened in the 2020 off season and how catastrophic that those decisions have become.

The decision to pursue OEL to Free agency and keeping Virtanen instead of just choosing Toffoli and Tanev. And that awful Holby contract that blocked any chance to re sign Toffoli when you literally just made the decision to go with Demko and should have looked for a reasonably priced back up 1.5 to 2.5 tops

A year later and we throw in a 9OA and a 2nd to have the pleasure of the anchor contract and even though Garland is a good player we immediately overpay him

OEL Garland Holtby Virtanen 43.5 + 24.75 + 8.6 + 5.1 = 81.95m
for
9OA Toffoli Tanev 2nd 2nd - (Eriksson Roussel Beagle) = 17 + 18 + 12 = 47m

To add some further context there was a lot of talk about moving Boeser and keeping Toffoli. How would that look right now if Boeser got a good asset and we were paying Toffoli 4.25?

And how good would it be if they used a few of the above draft assets as well as what Boeser returned to move Tyler Myers and could have even kept Troy Stecher?

We literally could be Toffoli Tanev Guenther and with 16 million in cap space and a year away from another 8.75 with 2 very tradeable assets instead of OEL Myers Garland Boeser and the drama that came with Holtby and Virtanen

Crazy

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Is this opinion or fact?
dont-be-a-fool.jpg

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Having Toffoli score that winner had me thinking about the turning point in the organization that happened in the 2020 off season and how catastrophic that those decisions have become.

The decision to pursue OEL to Free agency and keeping Virtanen instead of just choosing Toffoli and Tanev. And that awful Holby contract that blocked any chance to re sign Toffoli when you literally just made the decision to go with Demko and should have looked for a reasonably priced back up 1.5 to 2.5 tops

A year later and we throw in a 9OA and a 2nd to have the pleasure of the anchor contract and even though Garland is a good player we immediately overpay him

OEL Garland Holtby Virtanen 43.5 + 24.75 + 8.6 + 5.1 = 81.95m
for
9OA Toffoli Tanev 2nd 2nd - (Eriksson Roussel Beagle) = 17 + 18 + 12 = 47m

To add some further context there was a lot of talk about moving Boeser and keeping Toffoli. How would that look right now if Boeser got a good asset and we were paying Toffoli 4.25?

And how good would it be if they used a few of the above draft assets as well as what Boeser returned to move Tyler Myers and could have even kept Troy Stecher?

We literally could be Toffoli Tanev Guenther and with 16 million in cap space and a year away from another 8.75 with 2 very tradeable assets instead of OEL Myers Garland Boeser and the drama that came with Holtby and Virtanen

Crazy

Yeah. That was a turning point for me personally in my view of management. It was an unmitigated disaster that caused significant long-term damage. Very close to the 2016 off-season.

Reactions: AD16 and sting101

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It's really just an excuse for laziness or lack of interest.

It's about hedging one's emotional investment into an untrustworthy organization with a demonstrated track record of gaslighting and not giving af.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah. That was a turning point for me personally in my view of management. It was an unmitigated disaster that caused significant long-term damage. Very close to the 2016 off-season.
The 2 off seasons combined they chose

Eriksson Juolevi Gudbranson OEL Garland Holtby Virtanen
over
McCann Tkachuk Guenther Toffoli Tanev and more than enough remaining assets to get rid of Myers

It's actually unbelievable and that's just in players let alone the 130 million wasted on bad players with bad contracts

Im surprised Benning and Aquilini's realtionship didn't end like this

R.fee4875bd13fb4ffc19617e8e86e6c88

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
This is why I don't mind players refusing to wear the pride jerseys. At least their opinions are clear, and if there are extenuating circumstances they at least have the opportunity to explain them. Although in my opinion the notion of Russian players' families being endangered by their wearing a pride jersey is probably bullshit. I think that homosexuality is just so demonized in Russia that they'd be embarrassed by the association with it, but that the degree of actual sincere homophobia they feel varies a great deal. A lot of them just don't have the guts to do it and risk losing the respect of a ton of people in their home country.
I personally came from a culture where homosexuality is seen as a mental illness. Despite I myself have no issues with the queer community, I understand that some ppl might be strongly against the idea based on the education and value they’ve grew up with.
For example, my gay cousin’s parent didn’t even attend his wedding.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Just because someone doesn’t want to participate in pride event, doesn’t mean he’s a dick.

Btw, if anyone isn’t clear on why the Canucks even held the pride night

Well, I "hope" he isn't a dick. I don't think he's a dick. I actually think he's a very nice person. Taken through the lens of his media availability. I really liked that thing he did with the kids.

I also believe, however, that not being supportive to causes that do no harm and promote inclusiveness is not great. I a time where we are so divided we should come together. Why can't we find joy in all facets of life? Why can't we find joy in things that are fun, colourful and promote mental well being?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well, I "hope" he isn't a dick. I don't think he's a dick. I actually think he's a very nice person. Taken through the lens of his media availability. I really liked that thing he did with the kids.

I also believe, however, that not being supportive to causes that do no harm and promote inclusiveness is not great. I a time where we are so divided we should come together. Why can't we find joy in all facets of life? Why can't we find joy in things that are fun, colourful and promote mental well being?
We should come together
But forcing other people to participate in something that they do not approve is the opposite of coming together

Reactions: CanucksMJL

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
We should come together
But forcing other people to participate in something that they do not approve is the opposite of coming together
But not supporting others for being true to themselves is the opposite of coming together.

Forcing people to conform might feel like coming together. But that's a bandage. It won't hold.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yeah him and his .878 save % saving our asses. 4th game in 5 that it's been under .900. The killer is that Markstrom WON with a save % of .800. Ouch!
Canucks were outshot by more than 2-1. The fact it was .878% even after 5 goals displays how much shot volume he faced. Anyone that watched that game could tell if not for Demko the team loses in regulation

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Demko hasn't been particularly good since he came back. I'll take everyone's word on the LA game but this Calgary game is him in a nutshell since returning - some spectacular saves but also some horrible goals.

Particularly concerned that he's now getting beat straight up on shots at the top of the faceoff circle or further. If they were slot shots I get it but that was his greatest strength before he was almost bulletproof on those.

He's also compensating a bit by being too aggressive. Not as bad as Martin of course but with his size and the fact he has a powerful but uncontrolled lateral push he should be playing with his toes well within the blue. That would lessen some of the rebound goals he's been giving up lately. Go back and look, he's often beyond the crease on pretty innocuous shots.

Reactions: racerjoe

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Canucks were outshot by more than 2-1. The fact it was .878% even after 5 goals displays how much shot volume he faced. Anyone that watched that game could tell if not for Demko the team loses in regulation
Issue is that I watch Calgary since I live here and keep an eye on Marky. More often than not they dominate shot volume and don't get all that much out of it. So it doesn't mean as much in this context. Paterson was saying as much on the Rinkwide post game.
Doesn't matter anyways Demko tweaked something last night, he's being shut down now for the season!
Yeah that sucks. Honestly I know people were saying hes playing too much but I always think it's good to let your starter work things out. And to my recollection he hasn't played both ends of a back to back or anything.

And with the better defensive structure he has been doing that. Not to the extent that I would like and in some ways they allowed _too few_ chances and in those games he wasn't really learning things or improving. But it did have some benefits. For example, his skating is much better now than his first few games back. To me that was a tangible benefit of how much he has played.

Now that the team has sprung some leaks in the past couple of games he's let in some absolute woofers. IMO becuase now he's not used to being the person bailing them out night after night. It's hard to get used to that, and hard to maintain mental focus and consistency so that you can win the easy ones but then be able to pull out your best stuff when the team has a bad game.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
...and if Demko could have managed a .900 sv % we win in regulation...

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad