Post-Game Talk: Flames def. Canucks - 5-4 (Garland, Pettersson, McDonough, Beauvillier)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Games like this and the last one in St. Louis really underscore how long it is going to take for the current front office to get out from under some of albatross contracts they inherited from the Benning regime.

My gawd this is a bad blueline. Hughes played over 30 minutes again tonight and just looks completely gassed. Didn't play the final 2-1 in OT very well, but how can you blame him? It's frankly ridiculous how many minutes he's being forced to play.

Heading into next season, they've got Hughes, Hronek and maybe Bear, assuming they can re-sign him. After that, it's a black hole.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Games like this and the last one in St. Louis really underscore how long it is going to take for the current front office to get out from under some of albatross contracts they inherited from the Benning regime.

My gawd this is a bad blueline. Hughes played over 30 minutes again tonight and just looks completely gassed. Didn't play the final 2-1 in OT very well, but how can you blame him? It's frankly ridiculous how many minutes he's being forced to play.

Heading into next season, they've got Hughes, Hronek and maybe Bear, assuming they can re-sign him. After that, it's a black hole.

Less than a week ago you were saying that the blueline was actually good and it was a systems issue due to Boudreau.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Didnt know sexual orientation was a choice

Has there been a worse year for Canucks PR? It has been an absolute nightmare this year. The Aquilini abuse accusations, Rachel Deorrie, how they handled Bruce and now this… am I missing anything else?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Man based on what Ive seen from Kravtsov I wouldnt ask him to translate for me

Speaking of him, Ive been really curious about the difference between him and McDonough. McDonough has generated way more in the two games while playing with similar opportunity. I think Kravtsov has some great skills but its just not coming together. I do want to see him get a shot with Kuz and Petey. But Im not seeing anything to warrant a spot in this lineup next year from the effort hes given so far

And on the brightside 8th overall is looking like Reinbacher territory :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010

Didnt know sexual orientation was a choice

Has there been a worse year for Canucks PR? It has been an absolute nightmare this year. The Aquilini abuse accusations, Rachel Deorrie, how they handled Bruce and now this… am I missing anything else?

I was taken aback by the Provorov decision. I was aghast by the Reimer decision. I was laughing at Marc Staals about face.

With Kuzmenko I hope he just needs some time. He is new here. Where he is from being homosexual (let alone trans) is illegal and taught to be evil. He seems like a really nice guy which is most likely blinding me. I hope by this time next year he will have met people from the LGBTQ+ community and had real conversations. The persecution that LGBTQ+ people face in the majority of the world is the reason for pride night.

Defeating this social and moral injustice will take a long time. Hopefully it can be done through conversation, love, and understanding.

ps: God I hope he isn't a dick. He seems so likeable.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver

Hughes isn't being "forced to play" 30+ minutes a night.

Both he and Tochett are choosing to go that route even when the games are meaningless. Frankly its embarrasing to see how Tochett is deploying the lineup this late into a failed disaster of a season.

All that's on the line for the Canucks now is "pride", yet they choose to continue playing the crap out of their core and risking serious injury to Petey, Hughes, and Demko.

On a side note, who's to say if Hronek didn't reaggravate his injury? He supposedly doesn't require surgery (we'll see about that). Was there really any point in risking to play him at all? I'd argue no.

Protect the asset that they paid a king's ransom for.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
Focus on the 99% of players who wear the pride jerseys. The other 1% like Kuz probably grew up traditional but I doubt he would ever try to intentionally make an LGBT player feel unwelcome in the game in any on/off ice situation. He seems like a nice person. Overall the league wide campaign has had only a few minor blemishes like this and should be considered a success.

This was a fun back and forth game. Lots of Flames fans in the house who were very loud. I noticed a shocking number of Huberdeau jerseys in the crowd for all the flack he’s getting about his play. Good friendly atmosphere overall. Happy to see Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, and Toffoli get the chance for playoffs and to go on a Cinderella run. Kadri and Lucic, on the other hand… but I highly doubt that possibility is anything other than extremely remote. They’re also sort of boring to watch so I hope they don’t go too far.

Down to Aman, I liked the energy our bottom 6 brought and the top 6 was producing well just doing what they do. Awesome to see McDonagh bury his 1st and look like he can finish around the net while bringing good pace.

Defense remains to be a hot mess and the biggest eyesore watching this team. Quinn Hughes was probably tired at the end there on that 2 on 1 where he could’ve done better. He’s playing a bit too much because Hronek and OEL are out. As long as he doesn’t get injured it’s completely fine, he’ll have a better shot at gaining on Karlsson’s point lead by the end of the season. Let him pad his stats as much as he can, he deserves the extra Norris consideration a strongly productive home stretch would garner him. Please, no more Myers.

Demko you couldn’t have asked for much else from, he made some really good saves and also committed highway robbery. Would’ve liked him to steal one more goal but the outcome doesn’t matter at this point.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
im convinced MS is the reason we signed Joshua, someone on the inside is reading these boards. MS was all over Joshua as a potential signing way before he hit FA
*tinfoil hat on* Management never listened to MS before so what changed? What if it was foreshadowing planted on the board by someone in management? but then, who would it be? With a join date of 2002 and a name like MS, which could be an abbreviation of "Mr Sedin" it's probably Henrik or Daniel. @MS which one are you?

Last edited:
  • Haha

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
*tinfoil hat on* Management never listened to MS before so what changed? What if it was foreshadowing planted on the board by someone in management? but then, who would it be? With a join date of 2002 and a name like MS, which could be an abbreviation of "Me Sedin" it's probably Henrik or Daniel. @MS which one are you?
Its an abbreviation of Mr Shah obviously!

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah no. The "both sides" bullshit always stinks. When one side is advocating for inclusion and equity and the other is trying to deny people basic human rights and often assaulting or murdering people, there is no equivalence between them.
This is strawman BS.
Not everyone that claims to support PRIDE are genuine. Some tow the line to avoid criticism, some do it to improve their social standing or impress a potential mate. Some do it because they don't want to hurt someone they care about. Some do it to feel morally superior, to protect their career, to influence or subvert the movement for personal gain.

Similarly there are many reasons that people do not support PRIDE. Some are LGBT with mental illness that prevents them from accepting themselves. Some actually do support PRIDE privately but fear repercussions from their peer group. Some believe that lesbians, gays, trans, queers, questioning, 2-spirit etcetera are distinctly different groups with unique challenges that cannot be properly understood and addressed when lumped into a monolithic alphabet soup alliance. Some believe that being proud of an immutable characteristic that you didn't choose because your were born that way is non-sensical and akin to being proud of your skin colour. Some believe that trans people are actually mentally ill and a celebration is tantamount to abuse via affirmation of a delusion. Some believe that celebrating any minority demographic based on immutable characteristics is exclusionary and counter productive to a goal of social unity.

I could go on and on. It's not love vs hate. It's a f***ing mess of inclusion, indifference, hate and a nuanced grey area of views that often categorizes caring people as monsters and sociopathic opportunists as virtuous.

Of course there are tons of people who are genuine supporters of inclusion and conversely there are the Westborough Baptist Church people. It's not as black and white as that.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Hughes isn't being "forced to play" 30+ minutes a night.

Both he and Tochett are choosing to go that route even when the games are meaningless. Frankly its embarrasing to see how Tochett is deploying the lineup this late into a failed disaster of a season.

All that's on the line for the Canucks now is "pride", yet they choose to continue playing the crap out of their core and risking serious injury to Petey, Hughes, and Demko.

On a side note, who's to say if Hronek didn't reaggravate his injury? He supposedly doesn't require surgery (we'll see about that). Was there really any point in risking to play him at all? I'd argue no.

Protect the asset that they paid a king's ransom for.
If Hughes and Petey were 30 years old I'd agree. Neither seems to be showing signs of withering under the workload, they are instead having the best seasons of their young careers. Players get better by playing. IMO at their ages the experience gained by playing and having success in those minutes is foundational to reaching even higher levels. People are constantly demanding more minutes for the young guys based on that same concept. Right now Hughes and Petey are bearing fruit from that approach. Really it's mostly Hughes as Petey's even-strength ice-time is no different than his career average.

Hughes is also so agile and evasive that heavy minutes don't equate to heavy wear and tear

Demko is a different case because he's a goalie and mostly because he missed a huge chunk of the season. He's only played 1 season with a starting goalie load and he doesn't need to be fresh for the playoffs. What he does need is to improve and solidify his game with NHL game reps.

As for the Hronek situation, I'm with you. It's hard to have a ton of faith in the medical staff based on what limited information is available to us. Ferland and Pearson were such large failures that any setback in a player's recovery fans the flames of a narrative of medical incompetency. The trouble is that it's just a narrative. It could be different doctors in each situation. It could be that one or more of these situations was properly prescribed a treatment with 90% effectiveness and they rolled a 1. I don't know, I'm not a doctor and I don't know anything about how these things are handled beyond what I hear from a media that told me Travis Green is highly respected around the league.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I thought I read that media was saying:
/speculating that some Russians were worried about repercussions for family in Russia if they wear pride jerseys here.

Any idea if this is the reason?

Also, I’d give the guy speaking through a translator a little leeway wrt the ‘choice’ comment, both for linguistic and cultural reasons.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

Hughes does not need to play for over 30 mins. I know Canucks has a bad blueline. It is fine to play them, especially since we are what we are. That is a management and coaching issue. What is the plan??

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I was taken aback by the Provorov decision. I was aghast by the Reimer decision. I was laughing at Marc Staals about face.

With Kuzmenko I hope he just needs some time. He is new here. Where he is from being homosexual (let alone trans) is illegal and taught to be evil. He seems like a really nice guy which is most likely blinding me. I hope by this time next year he will have met people from the LGBTQ+ community and had real conversations. The persecution that LGBTQ+ people face in the majority of the world is the reason for pride night.

Defeating this social and moral injustice will take a long time. Hopefully it can be done through conversation, love, and understanding.

ps: God I hope he isn't a dick. He seems so likeable.
Just because someone doesn’t want to participate in pride event, doesn’t mean he’s a dick.

Btw, if anyone isn’t clear on why the Canucks even held the pride night

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People act like every game in March is 'garbage time' and that simply isn't the case. There have been some horrid games against teams like Anaheim and Chicago but also some incredibly tough games like against an LA team firing on all cylinders in playoff mode. And this game was from the 2nd group, and Calgary was throwing everything they had at it to try and keep their season alive, and you could see how much this meant to them by their reactions to the late tying goal and the win.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Just because someone doesn’t want to participate in pride event, doesn’t mean he’s a dick.

Btw, if anyone isn’t clear on why the Canucks even held the pride night

This is why I don't mind players refusing to wear the pride jerseys. At least their opinions are clear, and if there are extenuating circumstances they at least have the opportunity to explain them. Although in my opinion the notion of Russian players' families being endangered by their wearing a pride jersey is probably bullshit. I think that homosexuality is just so demonized in Russia that they'd be embarrassed by the association with it, but that the degree of actual sincere homophobia they feel varies a great deal. A lot of them just don't have the guts to do it and risk losing the respect of a ton of people in their home country.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
People act like every game in March is 'garbage time' and that simply isn't the case. There have been some horrid games against teams like Anaheim and Chicago but also some incredibly tough games like against an LA team firing on all cylinders in playoff mode. And this game was from the 2nd group, and Calgary was throwing everything they had at it to try and keep their season alive, and you could see how much this meant to them by their reactions to the late tying goal and the win.
It's really just an excuse for laziness or lack of interest.

Reactions: geebaan and MS

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
If Hughes and Petey were 30 years old I'd agree. Neither seems to be showing signs of withering under the workload, they are instead having the best seasons of their young careers. Players get better by playing. IMO at their ages the experience gained by playing and having success in those minutes is foundational to reaching even higher levels. People are constantly demanding more minutes for the young guys based on that same concept. Right now Hughes and Petey are bearing fruit from that approach. Really it's mostly Hughes as Petey's even-strength ice-time is no different than his career average.

Hughes is also so agile and evasive that heavy minutes don't equate to heavy wear and tear
From what I've seen it looks like the extra minutes are starting to effect Hughes' game at this point. Especially in the final minutes.

Reactions: CanucksMJL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad