Post-Game Talk: Flames def. Canucks - 4-1(Gadjovich)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Still four more pre season games to go, but so far have not seen a whole lot of chemistry or cohesiveness..This will likely change when EP and QH arrive on the scene.

Podz does need to be quicker, reminds me of Horvat when he first broke in (Bo worked hard on his skating and improved dramatically)...This should have been a game for Rathbone to shine in...Juolevi got off to a tough start, but did some good grunt work on the PK.

Reactions: Canucks LB

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Welp. Another preseason banger in the can.

I can't believe Baumgartner hasn't been fired out of a cannon yet. The D is such a garbage fire, and the guy in charge just keeps on keeping on. A lot of that going around these days. Also, lol @ Calgary for bringing in Gudbranson. Baffling, but hilarious. He's still...Gudbranson.

Juolevi: awful until he scored/assisted, then I thought he really perked up. Still painful watching him try to defend; zero physicality, timid, prone to throwing the puck away...I mean, he had a good game for him but he'd still be long gone without his history here.

Rathbone: poor outing for him. Crashing back down to earth without a good vet to back him up. Because why would we have any of those.

Garland: I thought he was easily the team's best player tonight. Makes things happen whenever he hits the ice despite his small stature. When the play's going on, you're saying: "Oh, #8. There he is again. Nice play!" Would be terrible luck if he's injured for any length of time. *deep sigh* Welcome to the Canucks, kid.

Podkolzin: Again, bits and pieces of good plays. Very much a work in progress...good size, big body, but still feeling his way. Also again, might not be the worst thing in the world if he starts in Abbotsford. Anyone pumping him up for Calder voting is on bath salts.

Hunt: Oh yeah, he's a thing. Would still rather Rathbone's the #3 LD when the puck drops on the regular season.

Dickinson: Oh yeah, he's also a thing. Normally, if the support guys aren't noticeable it's a good thing...but this is preseason and you want to see *something* from the new guy. More than once I saw #18 and thought: "Wow, Virtanen lost weight, slowed down, and got really timid." Not off to a great start in Canucks colours.

Gadjovic: Why didn't he play more?

MacEwan: Why didn't he play less?

Highmore still sucks.

Schenn is slow AF. I mean, I liked the guy a lot when he had his cup of coffee before, and I liked when he was signed because I (foolishly) thought he'd be a 6/7 guy. Still okay with him in that role, but if he plays further up, it's a problem.

------------------------------------------

So overall, things aren't all that much different that I thought they'd be. Glad Hughes and Pete finally got their contracts in place, but if anything happens to Demko this team is so utterly, hopelessly f***ed. Realistically it's going to be caved in from the blueline back, and it's so f***ing frustrating to see it coming a mile away and hear bullshit like "Not a real fan!" for it.

I swear, some people will never be happy until this forum is ten people curating 50 pro-Benning propaganda spam accounts.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, that was a bard one to watch.....but not unexpected given the disparity of the rosters. With the exception of the second goal, which was a bit of stinker, Demko had a solid night. The power play was completely anemic, but I guess they haven't practiced it much.

Juolevi had an up and down night....still getting beat wide but seems to have found a niche on the PK. But he's fallen so far back of both Rathbone and Hunt on the left side, that I don't see how he doesn't end up on waivers.

Canucks really need to start weeding this roster out of the AHL players and get closer to the opening night lineup. The arrival of Hughes and Pettersson will make it easier.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
it doesn’t help they have zero defensively capable forwards.

IMO this team needs top RHD, a shut down center, and a defensively capable winger that center can play with.

We traded a pick for Dickinson and early signs are he will be a depth checker. Brutal.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
it doesn’t help they have zero defensively capable forwards.

IMO this team needs top RHD, a shut down center, and a defensively capable winger that center can play with.
Team has no defensively capable anything BECAUSE of the coaching. Defense takes buying into a plan, and working hard. No one seems to know what the plan is. A fairly talented roster not on the same page. Not that upgrades aren't needed, but I swear Green and Bummer would miss the playoffs coaching Tampa somehow.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Sutter>Green is the reason we'll lose the season series against Calgary. In a salary cap world, majority of teams end up in the same talent range and it simply comes down to coaching to determine long-term results.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Team has no defensively capable anything BECAUSE of the coaching. Defense takes buying into a plan, and working hard. No one seems to know what the plan is. A fairly talented roster not on the same page. Not that upgrades aren't needed, but I swear Green and Bummer would miss the playoffs coaching Tampa somehow.
The team has no defence because it has no good defenders after Edler and Schmidt left. You guys called Edler slow but he could defend and Schmidt just wanted to get out after 1 season under supreme leader Jimbo. Demko is going to be worn out by december . We have a point machine in Hughes and some warm bodies who can't do anything right most of the time.

After seven years of Jimbo, you guys should have known that he can't scout any good defenceman. He was lucky Vegas dumped Schmidt to clear space for Pietro.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
We traded a pick for Dickinson and early signs are he will be a depth checker. Brutal.

I never thought he was otherwise and could never understand how he was presented as a quality #3 centre. He is 4th line at best. Another plug at 3 million that is worth 1

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I thought Garland returned to play after blocking that shot off his foot? Was I just hallucinating?

That sequence where MacEwen got rocked by Mackey and then jumped by Gudbranson was rough (for him). Absolutely pasted with a clean hit that he tried to start a fight over, then got blindsided by Gudbranson who was throwing punches before MacEwen had his gloves off.

Also, somebody give Hoglander some real linemates already.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
And - puzzled why Gadjovich got such little ice time.

IMO, he’s had a very solid camp and should he in the conversation for a fourth line spot. Di Giuseppe and Dowling are likely ahead of him, but it would be nice to see him get the ice time to show if he could make that competition more interesting.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

IMO, he’s had a very solid camp and should he in the conversation for a fourth line spot. Di Giuseppe and Dowling are likely ahead of him, but it would be nice to see him get the ice time to show if he could make that competition more interesting.

Agreed, dadjovich played great this camp.
He looks nothing like the kid we saw last camp. Deserves a look at the start of the season if you ask me.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’ll be the devil and say it. Rathbone did not look good at all this game, Olli had a better game.

I’m not sure either had a good game…at least not good enough to worry about who was better.

Rathbone struggled but his partner on the night was also a disaster.

Juolevi while he did some decent things also gave the puck away 3 or 4 times in his own zone and can get beat wide on the regular. I’m not typically one that worries about skating speed as there are different ways a player can be “fast”. However, the NHL does have a minimum skating ability. I don’t think Juolevi meets that standard for his position.

The takeaway for me was, as it stands, you are going to see 2 of Rathbone, Juolevi and Schenn in the lineup on the regular. I don’t think that’s a good thing. Of the three Rathbone is the one that I see improving.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

This is such a Travis Green stat. I swear we have like 20 of these a season. Some variety of, good player plays few minutes, bad player plays many minutes.

Reactions: Indiana

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s disappointing so far in this regular season to see that there is again not going to be any help from the farm in those 11-13 forwards when injury hits. At least based on pretty poor camps by many so far.

It would have been hard to script a worse game for MacEwan and Petan.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The most wild fan phenomenon when it comes to Canucks fans and coaching is how little accountability fans want to put on the head coach while simultaneously worshipping or dumping on assistants.

End of the day Travis Green has to start wearing the way this team plays. The Baumgartner blame seems misguided and the hero worship of Shaw strange.

The head coaches teams all play the same way. No matter if it’s hank and Danny or JT and Bo.

Some of those flames possession shifts were crazy. I think Sutter (coach) knows Travis wants the Canucks to give up a shot early and now he’s coaching just to keep the puck in the zone. With the way the Canucks just back into the crease it seems like a good strategy.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm probably in the minority, but to my eyes Juolevi was pretty clearly a rung or two above Hunt and especially Rathbone.

Rathbone's play has gotten worse in each preseason game, and imo he's better served starting the season in Abby.

Hunt has looked solid, and (if Hamonic returns) probably has the inside track on the 7th spot. But no upside and don't think he's going to be a regular PK guy.

Juolevi on the other hand looked like an NHLer. Played on the first PK unit on a 5/5 night. His reach and positioning broke up numerous plays around his net. Made some good first passes. Made some low key smart plays in the offensive zone, and was better with gap control in the neutral zone.

He wasn't flawless. Did have a couple passes picked off when clearing the zone. Part of that might be familiarity with nonNHL level players, but can't say for sure if that factored in.

But after 3 games, imo OJ has pretty clearly played his way onto the team.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Rathbone>>Juolevi
Hunt>Juolevi
Gadjovich>MacEwen

Garland looked impressive, Hog 2.0.
Dickinson has a good stick and is good at breaking up plays.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It’s seems pretty clear for this team to win we are gonna have to win 7-5 or 5-3 cause with our defense we are gonna give up a lot of goals.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm probably in the minority, but to my eyes Juolevi was pretty clearly a rung or two above Hunt and especially Rathbone.

Rathbone's play has gotten worse in each preseason game, and imo he's better served starting the season in Abby.

Hunt has looked solid, and (if Hamonic returns) probably has the inside track on the 7th spot. But no upside and don't think he's going to be a regular PK guy.

Juolevi on the other hand looked like an NHLer. Played on the first PK unit on a 5/5 night. His reach and positioning broke up numerous plays around his net. Made some good first passes. Made some low key smart plays in the offensive zone, and was better with gap control in the neutral zone.

He wasn't flawless. Did have a couple passes picked off when clearing the zone. Part of that might be familiarity with nonNHL level players, but can't say for sure if that factored in.

But after 3 games, imo OJ has pretty clearly played his way onto the team.

Really couldn’t disagree more. While I agree he does some little things well his skating has somehow gotten worse and will be a major detriment. He will be part of every opposition coaches game plan. They will go after that side whenever he is on the ice because he can’t keep up. It’s just not up to the NHL standard…might not even be AHL standard.

Based on the reports coming out of practice etc while he is still with the main group he is a distant third behind Rathbone and Hunt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad