GDT: Flames at Golden Knights: 8pm on HNIC (SN1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
We only have four top 6 forwards - Tkachuk, gaudreau, monohan and Lindholm. We need at least one more before being a top contender. Treliving needs to revisit the zucker trade maybe.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Getting beaten by the Knights (pretty much the consensus favourites for the 1 seed) isn't really a sign of the apocalypse. Once they sort themselves out, I think they'll be fine. I doubt they win the conference again, but I also doubt that they struggle with teams like LA most nights.

It's all in their hands. Right now, it's all about a few individuals who haven't brought their A game to start the season dragging the squad down. Just based on track record, they should improve.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You mean the same Brad who

- inherited the best pieces on the team
- was gifted Tkachuk by Benning
- hand-built the rest of the "mentally weak" team
- cant find a goalie to save his life
- looks to have hired a second lemon of a coach in a row

The same Treliving who fleeced Boston for Hamilton, then fleeced Carolina for Lindhom and Hanifin and signed Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin, Lindholm to stupid good deals.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's all about hoping this team peaks at the right time this year, I highly doubt we'll get 50 wins again but if we can make the dance and hopefully hit our peak later in the season, I still believe we can do some damage this year.

Far too early for any panic buttons, to be honest.
My main concern was the depth of this team. Last year it was a problem, and this offseason we were unable to do anything about it due to Matty Tkachuk's holdout.

I think we give it to 10-15 games to see how this is coming together; then go from there. It really sucks when you see no improvement from two first rounders in Jankowski and Bennett. Disappointing.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This isn’t a good team, really. Offense is very top heavy. Bottom six is among the worst in the league. Mentally weak all around. Defense is alright but goaltending is a question mark.

Needs some serious work. I hope Brad is working the phones.

The Calgary Oilers?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005

I was of the unpopular opinion that a Treliving extension should of waited until this season was over for a more fulsome assessment.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I assure you guys the defence is currently a bigger issue than goaltending.

Not including this disaster of a game the Flames rank: (5v5 Score and venue adjusted per 60 stats)
2nd last in scoring chances against
7th last in expected goals against
10th last in HDCA (high danger chances)
8th last in FA (unblocked shot attempts)

Quit blaming Rittich for the Flames crap play catching up with them. Rittich has had an awful game but he's held us in the last 4.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Frolik: Game is over, may as well take a shitty penalty for reasons.

I assure you guys the defence is currently a bigger issue than goaltending.

Not including this disaster of a game the Flames rank: (5v5 Score and venue adjusted per 60 stats)
2nd last in scoring chances against
7th last in expected goals against
10th last in HDCA (high danger chances)
8th last in FA (unblocked shot attempts)

Quit blaming Rittich for the Flames crap play catching up with them. Rittich has had an awful game but he's held us in the last 4.

Same story last year. There isn’t any excuses this year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

- is sitting on several buy-outs and one untradeable anchor of a contract

The same Brad who was handed a pile of garbage from the previous GM including zero quality defenseman or goalies added to the team and zero quality depth added to the team as well.

After the pile of garbage that Feaster left Treliving has done a good job of sticking this organization with talent.

He hasn’t been perfect but he has done hell of a lot more good than bad.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
The same Treliving who fleeced Boston for Hamilton, then fleeced Carolina for Lindhom and Hanifin and signed Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin, Lindholm to stupid good deals.

15 overall and two seconds is a fleecing? ya right.

Carolina trade was pretty even value wise too, edge to Tre but fleecing? please

Lindholm and Hanifin are paid what they're worth. Gaudreau is a steal, these two not by a long shot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So much complaining, does anyone remember how the team started last season up until and including the Pens slaughter game?

It's crazy, normally I was kind of one more negative leaning posters; I almost feel like 80% of the board is just flat out negative all the time in terms of this team :laugh:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Lindholm and Hanifin are paid what they're worth. Gaudreau is a steal, these two not by a long shot.

Hard to argue with someone who despises the Flames as much as you do.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

How was the Carolina deal even? Lindholm just had an 80 point season and Ferland has shown he is a bottom 6 player at best. Hamilton is great but the gap between him and Hanifin is not nearly as big as the gap between the forwards.

Add in the contracts and the Flames are much better than had they never made that deal.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Win tomorrow and we go 2-1 on a tough road trip. I think this will be a long season though, but we still get in due to a weaker division.. kind of looks like teams have figured us out. Also, we have 0 intensity and our D just backs off and lets the other team walk in instead of standing them up at the line, which was problem last year to. Also, we laught at Edmonton, but when they get McDrai on they are usually generating something, while we really don't have a line that can do that consistently.

All in all! Trying not to get as emotionally invested this year, as this team is missing that intensity to go far.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Treliving's just fine. His handling of contracts has been fantastic compared to some of his colleagues around the year, which in and of itself is reason to hold on to him.

The players just need to get going. Every team league-wide has gripes about their roster, Vegas included. The complaints people make about this team are similar to comments on every team's board on this site. A GM can't do anything to guarantee success. The Flames showed last year that they can go from being bad to being fantastic virtually overnight. "How" is so much more important than "who," but you wouldn't know it based on common topics on this board.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
There's no team in this league that is a bigger creature of habit than the flames. They've always lost in Vegas so they'll continue to lose in Vegas. Relax

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
All in all! Trying not to get as emotionally invested this year, as this team is missing that intensity to go far.

Intensity for sure but this team lacks depth...in a serious way

We'll be fighting for 8th-9th spot and first round exit.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
How was the Carolina deal even? Lindholm just had an 80 point season and Ferland has shown he is a bottom 6 player at best. Hamilton is great but the gap between him and Hanifin is not nearly as big as the gap between the forwards.

Add in the contracts and the Flames are much better than had they never made that deal.

I said edge to Tre, definitely not a fleecing. Don't look now, but Hamilton is leading the league in plus/minus and is second in points among defensemen.

Ferland getting concussed again after the trade kinda makes the comparison moot at this point. He might be done as a physical forward for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad