GDT: Flames at Canucks - 8:00pm Sportsnet

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This is the final pre-season game for the Flames. This will be the game where management makes a decision on what to do with Cole Schwindt and Adam Klapka who are both waiver exempt. I'm pretty sure Dryden Hunt, who has 200 NHL games experience, will be on the roster on opening night. He's also not waiver exempt. On defense everyone is a lock except for Gilbert and Solovyov. Solovyov is waiver exempt and Gilbert isn't. On opening night I expect to see Gilbert in a Flames jersey and Solo wearing a Wranglers jersey.

FORWARDS
Jonathan Huberdeau - Elias Lindholm - Andrew Mangiapane
Yegor Sharangovich - Mikael Backlund - Matt Coronato
Adam Ruzicka - Nazem Kadri - Dillon Dube
Dryden Hunt - Cole Schwindt - Walker Duehr
Adam Klapka - Blake Coleman

DEFENCE
MacKenzie Weegar - Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin - Chris Tanev
Nikita Zadorov - Jordan Oesterle
Dennis Gilbert - Ilya Solovyov

GOALTENDERS
Jacob Markstrom
Dan Vladar

Reactions: Tofveve

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Schwindt still being here is part and parcel of the anti-youth conspiracy. Are there no 21 year olds that could have been given a chance?

Reactions: Tofveve

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
:laugh: The mental gymnastics people go through to justify why the Flames won't simply dress their best and most talented players

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hunt and Schwindt going down to the wire for that last spot in the lineup.
I don't think it will be either or. Right now 11 spots have been locked up with Hunt, Schwindt, and Klapka competing for the 12th and maybe 13th forward spot. Hunt right now has the inside track for one of those spots for a few reasons. If anyone else stays will depend on whether the Flames start the season with 12 or 13 fwds. I expect they will start the season with 7 dmen and 2 goalies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Maybe its just me, but I haven't been particularly impressed with Sharangovich this training camp and I'm not sure if he deserves a spot on the 2nd line let alone the first. From what I've seen so far, he's a 3rd liner at best. Play him on the 3rd line with Ruzicka and Backlund.

Jonathan Huberdeau - Elias Lindholm - Andrew Mangiapane
Dillon Dube - Nazem Kadri - Matt Coronato
Yegor Sharangovich - Mikael Backlund - Adam Ruzicka
Blake Coleman - Cole Schwindt - Walker Duehr
Dryden Hunt

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Unfortunately, Sharangovich has looked quite a step behind. Not really getting into those prime spots, yet anyway..

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Really like our top 9 and if Blake Coleman is on our 4th line it should mean that we have good depth because they guy is a 2b/3a player.

As long as the 4th line stays even in terms of goals for/against I am happy, at least it's a cheap 4th line unlike the 2010's when the Flames were spending $12-14 on the 4th line.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A million head coaches later and we’re still throwing new linemates at Backlund and telling him to make them good players.

Maybe he can make Huberdeau ok again because he’s looked lost with both Lindholm and Kadri.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
A million head coaches later and we’re still throwing new linemates at Backlund and telling him to make them good players.

Maybe he can make Huberdeau ok again because he’s looked lost with both Lindholm and Kadri.
Have said over and over and over again that Lindholm does not play a style of game conductive to Huberdeau's. Ppl shat on Sutter, but he was 100% correct playing him with Kadri. They still haven't shown f*** all together as a duo.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Lindholm isn't a good enough puck carrier and Kadri gets tunnel vision. Huberdeau will probably have a better season this year but he'll never come close to his Florida numbers if this is who we play him with at even strength.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Huberdeau's 115 point season in Florida happened with Bennett & Duclair as his most common linemates. Not exactly the elite of the elite.

Closest comparable on the Flames are Dube and maybe Sharangovich. But that's too outside the box thinking; better to stick with what isn't working than trying something different.

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Huberdeau's 115 point season in Florida happened with Bennett & Duclair as his most common linemates. Not exactly the elite of the elite.

Closest comparable on the Flames are Dube and maybe Sharangovich. But that's too outside the box thinking; better to stick with what isn't working than trying something different.
I'm not sure about the Sharangovich part, but the fact they haven't tried Huby-Dube as a duo is stunning

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not sure about the Sharangovich part, but the fact they haven't tried Huby-Dube as a duo is stunning
How is it stunning? They've only played Huberdeau enough to get him to game speed for opening night.

Also they played together a little last season with Kadri between them.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm hoping Schwindt shows us something tonight that he hasn't so far. He's centering the 4th line tonight but in my opinion its a spot he's gotten because he's really the only available option rather than earning it. I would rather see Connor Zary there but management has made their decision and sent him back to the Wranglers. Obviously Flames management would rather see Zary playing 20 minutes a game on the Wranglers first line than 10 minutes or less a game on the Flames 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad