Proposal: Flames and Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It’d be more like 1st, 2nd and Ritchie for those two imo

2nd and Ritchie for Lindholm and a late first for Tanev.

Switch Hanifin for Tanev and I could see it value wise but I don’t think the Avs need Hanifin

We can throw in a 2nd round prospect or equivalent and we probably will need retention.

But sure, ritchie plus 2024 first plus foudy/behrens for those two and the Avs would be cup favorites.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I think it's pretty fair, then you get the equally ridiculous rubberbanding counters like "take out Byram and it's still questionable" and "that gets you Lindholm alone" and it gets you right back in the middle.

• Haha
Reactions: Play and McJedi

Bond

May 10, 2012
Agreed. I've heard Flames fans throw it around, they don't get it. Trading a cost-controlled young asset for rentals would be a terrible decision on the part of the Avs.
It is because of that one Athletic article that said the Flames would have interest in Byram in a Lindholm trade. I'd be very surprised if Lindholm gets more than a 1st and a prospect like Ritchie. I am expecting a 1st and a B prospect at the rate he is playing

Reactions: McJedi

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It is because of that one Athletic article that said the Flames would have interest in Byram in a Lindholm trade. I'd be very surprised if Lindholm gets more than a 1st and a prospect like Ritchie. I am expecting a 1st and a B prospect at the rate he is playing
Just because it is written by a sports writer doesn't mean they are always accurate either.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ritchie has 41 points in his first 25 OHL games this season after recovering from shoulder surgery, scoring at the best PPG rate in the league. To me, he's showing that maybe he only dropped to 27OA because he played most of his draft year with a torn labrum, and his talent might be closer to a top 5 pick. No, he won't help them this year, and maybe not next year either, but he is exactly the kind of affordable, high skill player that they need to make more runs at the Cup. Having him on his ELC for 3 years could be a huge advantage and trading him for a single roll of the dice with Lindholm before he gets a stupid contract in UFA would be a huge mistake.

And the Avs don't have a 2nd until 2026.
And that’s fair but I think there are other teams that would easily offer a first and a good prospect (ie Winnipeg, Carolina, Vancouver etc.) personally I would prefer a C prospect like Ritchie as opposed to a winger and a late first, as I think it’s the one position the Flames are lacking youth

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think the basis of this deal only makes sense if the Flames are both retaining on our players AND taking on 1-2 cap dumps from the Avs to increase flexibility for this season and perhaps several years down the road. That's the only way I can see someone like Byram included if the Avs can't muster up other assets to move those cap dumps.

Just because it is written by a sports writer doesn't mean they are always accurate either.

Or is it accurate, but the interpretation isn't accurate.

Of course we'd be interested in Byram. We'd probably be interested in Byram as part of a prospects/futures only package if Avs were willing listen. But it also doesn't mean Avs are interested in continued listening to us requesting him as part of the basis of that trade.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Lindholm is currently tied for 111th in scoring and tied for 48th in center scoring (based on what the NHL website considers to be a center).

Adam Henrique has one less point in one less game and Monahan has three more points in the same amount of games. Now I’m not saying I prefer either over Lindholm, but what I am saying is that there are comparable players having comparable seasons that’s teams aren’t asking for Byram+Ritchie for.

Montreal fans have said they’d consider Monahan+Allen for RyJo+first to put the value difference into perspective.

There’s probably a deal to be made, just not a this outrageous price.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Lindholm is currently tied for 111th in scoring and tied for 48th in center scoring (based on what the NHL website considers to be a center).

Adam Henrique has one less point in one less game and Monahan has three more points in the same amount of games. Now I’m not saying I prefer either over Lindholm, but what I am saying is that there are comparable players having comparable seasons that’s teams aren’t asking for Byram+Ritchie for.

Montreal fans have said they’d consider Monahan+Allen for RyJo+first to put the value difference into perspective.

Yes, you can have Monahan for much cheaper than Lindholm. Everyone knows that.

If you think they are comparable players why would you even consider Lindholm?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Both those teams would want way more than Byrum and I'm not even a fan of Zegras

I'm confused. Where did I say in my post that I wouldn't be willing to add to Byram?

"Way more" is just hilarious as well quite frankly. Byram still carries tremendous value as a cost controlled Top 4D with top pairing upside. And fwiw Buffalo fans have already said a Byram/Mittelstadt sway 1 for 1 is fair value with the issue for them being that they don't have the need for a LD because of Power and Dahlin.

Ledge And Dairy

Ritchie has 41 points in his first 25 OHL games this season after recovering from shoulder surgery, scoring at the best PPG rate in the league. To me, he's showing that maybe he only dropped to 27OA because he played most of his draft year with a torn labrum, and his talent might be closer to a top 5 pick. No, he won't help them this year, and maybe not next year either, but he is exactly the kind of affordable, high skill player that they need to make more runs at the Cup. Having him on his ELC for 3 years could be a huge advantage and trading him for a single roll of the dice with Lindholm before he gets a stupid contract in UFA would be a huge mistake.

And the Avs don't have a 2nd until 2026.
You know there is literally an option to sort by pts/g on the OHL website. Maybe do that before spouting off wrong information. Ritchie has the 5th best pts/g rate with 1.54, the last 2 years that rate would have finished 8th in the league. If you genuinely think his scoring rate is is closer to a top 5 pick them Toronto must have drafted a perennial superstar in Easton Cowen.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

At ES, Lindholm is tied with Ross Colton with 21 points, good for 53rd among Cs. Henrique's 18 is tied for 79th, Monahan's 17 ES points is tied for 86th.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You know there is literally an option to sort by pts/g on the OHL website. Maybe do that before spouting off wrong information. Ritchie has the 5th best pts/g rate with 1.54, the last 2 years that rate would have finished 8th in the league. If you genuinely think his scoring rate is is closer to a top 5 pick them Toronto must have drafted a perennial superstar in Easton Cowen.

Maybe if the OHL could hire someone to design a website that doesn't require me to scroll down 14 pages before I can find the ability to scroll to the right (which also makes their page navigation scroll), maybe I would have done that instead of trying to do the math to compare him to the top 5 scorers and missing a few guys. Still, he's top 5, and has shown significant improvement over last year.

And, I genuinely think playing most of his draft year with a torn labrum probably hurt his draft position, which is why valuing him like a 27th OA pick is problematic. Maybe he wouldn't have been a top 5 pick had he been healthy, but top 10 is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Yes, you can have Monahan for much cheaper than Lindholm. Everyone knows that.

If you think they are comparable players why would you even consider Lindholm?

The point I’m making is that the value difference between Monahan and Lindholm isnt Byram+Ritchie.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
At ES, Lindholm is tied with Ross Colton with 21 points, good for 53rd among Cs. Henrique's 18 is tied for 79th, Monahan's 17 ES points is tied for 86th.

So Lindholm gets top powerplay opportunities and can’t score is what I take from that.

Again, not saying Monahan or Henrique are as good as Lindholm, but the value difference isn’t Byram+Ritchie. No one is arguing Lindholm isn’t more desirable, my point is that the ask seems to be out of touch based on comparable other options.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Exactly. Somehow it went from the Flames would be interested to Byram in the rumour mill.

Yep. The leap from, Flames would be interests and maybe inquire about Byram to fans freaking out Byram is on the table.

Nah. That's silly. It's possible that in reality, Flames are interested in him AND Avs are not making him available.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Might it have something to do with the story involving the Avs, Byram, and the Flyers? According to the story, the Avs didn’t shut down the idea but needed more than Gauthier one for one.

Reactions: Bond

Ledge And Dairy

Maybe if the OHL could hire someone to design a website that doesn't require me to scroll down 14 pages before I can find the ability to scroll to the right (which also makes their page navigation scroll), maybe I would have done that instead of trying to do the math to compare him to the top 5 scorers and missing a few guys. Still, he's top 5, and has shown significant improvement over last year.

And, I genuinely think playing most of his draft year with a torn labrum probably hurt his draft position, which is why valuing him like a 27th OA pick is problematic. Maybe he wouldn't have been a top 5 pick had he been healthy, but top 10 is certainly within the realm of possibilities.
Are you computer illiterate? If you are on mobile you can drag left an right on the sceeen, if you are on PC you can click the scroll wheel then move the mouse to the left or right, if you use a track pad on a laptop you use a 2 finger drag to go left and right.

Nobody is saying he is a bad prospect but he was drafted right where he was expected to go and still would go in a redraft now, 20-30 range. He wasn't good enough to make World Juniors, and he's not doing anything in particular in juniors that says he should be above his peers. Of players who went even top 15 in the draft, 4 of them are NHL regulars, and everyone else that was eligible to play in the WJC was in that tournament. If we expand that to the top 20, only Colby Barlow did not go to World Juniors, but Oliver Bonk (#22), Gabe Perreault (#23), and Otto Stenberg (#25) did.

Hell, I would argue Andrew Cristal and Riley Heidt who were drafted 40th and 64th OA better prospects than Ritchie right now based on CHL production.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Are you computer illiterate? If you are on mobile you can drag left an right on the sceeen, if you are on PC you can click the scroll wheel then move the mouse to the left or right, if you use a track pad on a laptop you use a 2 finger drag to go left and right.

Nobody is saying he is a bad prospect but he was drafted right where he was expected to go and still would go in a redraft now, 20-30 range. He wasn't good enough to make World Juniors, and he's not doing anything in particular in juniors that says he should be above his peers. Of players who went even top 15 in the draft, 4 of them are NHL regulars, and everyone else that was eligible to play in the WJC was in that tournament. If we expand that to the top 20, only Colby Barlow did not go to World Juniors, but Oliver Bonk (#22), Gabe Perreault (#23), and Otto Stenberg (#25) did.

Hell, I would argue Andrew Cristal and Riley Heidt who were drafted 40th and 64th OA better prospects than Ritchie right now based on CHL production.
They are both better than the guy we drafted at 16th OA too unfortunately. Ritchie is a nice prospect, but he's not an elite prospect. Similar tier to a guy like Pelletier. A 1st and Ritchie is a fair offer, we might get a better one, but we might not too.

We have 2 comparable trades last season, the one for ROR and the one for Horvat. ROR was having a worse season than Lindholm but is probably the better player. Horvat was having a better season than Lindholm, but Lindholm is the better player.

Both guys went for a 1st++.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

He started the season injured, no way was he gonna make wj missing all of the camp.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

It’s not only the production. A lot of what he does translates. He has some slick mitts.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It’s not only the production. A lot of what he does translates. He has some slick mitts.
He's got some swing and miss to his game. I'd say he's more elusive than a guy with soft hands. He can make defensemen look bad, but he's not great in tight. I see him as a middle six winger in the NHL. The fact that he's from Calgary is a bonus for me with all the flights out of town we've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad