GDT: Flames (8-9-1) @ Leafs (14-3-2): How many goals will Matthews torch us for? SNW 5PM MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
For the narrative that this is such a “slow team”, we skated right with the Leafs majority of the night. I think Ward has them play a style against teams that clog up the NZ that has no choice but to look slow - bad dumps, no close support - doesn’t really allow you to get much speed or forecheck established.

I think this is a good hockey team, they just have trouble against trap type teams and there seems to be an issue with playing down to certain opponents levels.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Reminder to Geoff Ward that the team is now 4-0 when Bennett is playing on the top line for the whole game.
For the narrative that this is such a “slow team”, we skated right with the Leafs majority of the night.

I feel like every game where Bennett has played on the top line the team has looked a lot faster. He really helps push the pace for that line, and that line helps to set the tone for the rest of the team.

Keeping Leivo out of the top 9 helps as well.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Reminder to Geoff Ward that the team is now 4-0 when Bennett is playing on the top line for the whole game.

I feel like every game where Bennett has played on the top line the team has looked a lot faster. He really helps push the pace for that line, and that line helps to set the tone for the rest of the team.

I agree. Bennett on that line has been very good. He adds a lot more than Leivo, Simon, Ritchie could ever be asked to.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Man Leivo is starting to get real frustrating. Plays good hockey 99% of the time, has an active stick in the neutral zone and turns those takeaways into chances, wins pucks along the boards, but then 1% of the time he runs by and just grabs a defencemen to throw him down as he skates by or spears a guy in the nuts. Like, stop. Taking dumb penalties is something that'd cost the Flames if the Leafs were playing hot, and you can't have depth guys taking dumb penalties. Same goes for Nordstrom but at least some of his are effort based.

Also feels like the Flames defensive zone issues are due to a lack of pressure at the point which allows teams to use them as a free reset for the rim around. The only time it feels they get pressured is when an opposing winger skates up there and the D and wingers follow. Just from watching I've noticed that, similarly to the series against Dallas, the Flames are putting their wingers super low when the puck is low and then expecting them to get up to the point. For example if the puck is on the right side boards, Gaudreau is sitting in the high slot/slot in general and then has to race out to negate the chance when the puck inevitably ends up on the right side. It provides more support for keeping dangerous chances away but it feels like a bad idea to keep letting defensemen attempt to find a seam. It just affords other teams too much time to pressure and hem the Flames in so that they're all tired and can do nothing but change at the end of a shift

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Man Leivo is starting to get real frustrating. Plays good hockey 99% of the time, has an active stick in the neutral zone and turns those takeaways into chances, wins pucks along the boards, but then 1% of the time he runs by and just grabs a defencemen to throw him down as he skates by or spears a guy in the nuts. Like, stop. Taking dumb penalties is something that'd cost the Flames if the Leafs were playing hot, and you can't have depth guys taking dumb penalties. Same goes for Nordstrom but at least some of his are effort based.

Also feels like the Flames defensive zone issues are due to a lack of pressure at the point which allows teams to use them as a free reset for the rim around. The only time it feels they get pressured is when an opposing winger skates up there and the D and wingers follow. Just from watching I've noticed that, similarly to the series against Dallas, the Flames are putting their wingers super low when the puck is low and then expecting them to get up to the point. For example if the puck is on the right side boards, Gaudreau is sitting in the high slot/slot in general and then has to race out to negate the chance when the puck inevitably ends up on the right side. It provides more support for keeping dangerous chances away but it feels like a bad idea to keep letting defensemen attempt to find a seam. It just affords other teams too much time to pressure and hem the Flames in so that they're all tired and can do nothing but change at the end of a shift

nordstrom is so bad even strength, it’s not even funny. Most of the time, the puck off his stick was a wrong move

I don’t remember a worse player on flames uniform 5 on 5. Not even rinaldo

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I still hate the Rasmus breakout on the PP. It's like he has been told that he has to, under penalty of benching, do the bumpback. Even when you have two guys in the neutral zone guarding it and open ice ahead of you, still stop and look back and dump it all the way to the hash marks. Honestly, just use Johnny as a decoy once or twice instead of doing the same thing every f***ing time.

Also, the bumpback is so far. By the time the pass is received and Johnny reaches the red line, the forecheckers have reset themselves.

Kylington looked great in his limited ice time. Watch him now be benched for the next 15 games.
There have been endless discussions about how Johnny’s linemates inability to keep up with him or carry the puck into the zone hinders our offence and burns him out.

Here is a perfect example of how to decrease his workload with a competent puck rusher, but coaching says to pass back continually. Having a variety to our attack would make us less predictable and harder to defend, but let’s keep forcing the 5’6”, 150 lbs pacifist through the meat grinder.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There have been endless discussions about how Johnny’s linemates inability to keep up with him or carry the puck into the zone hinders our offence and burns him out.

Here is a perfect example of how to decrease his workload with a competent puck rusher, but coaching says to pass back continually. Having a variety to our attack would make us less predictable and harder to defend, but let’s keep forcing the 5’6”, 150 lbs pacifist through the meat grinder.

We have done it literally every year since Gaudreau got here how no coach has thought of switching it up at all is embarrassing

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

So much this.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Our PP entries are so bizarre. We come in at breakneck speed but flat with 4 guys entering the zone at the same time.

Then one of two things usually happen:
- We fire a low-percentage shot at the goalie
- We play a blind pass to the trailing defenseman which often leads to an odd-man rush against

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Our PP entries are so bizarre. We come in at breakneck speed but flat with 4 guys entering the zone at the same time.

- We play a blind pass to the trailing defenseman which often leads to an odd-man rush against

Watch for the midget for zone entry.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I'm expecting them to break out using the Flying V any day now.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Roster could still use Phillips and Zavgorodniy though

Dube - Bennett - Phillips
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Monahan
Lucic - Ryan - Zavgorodniy

Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Giordano - Hanifin

For all the attention he received in the pre-season Zavgorodniy has just one assist and is -3 with Stockton.

Small sample size to be sure but seems like he should be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad