Post-Game Talk: Flames 4 Oilers 2 - f***ing losers

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Smarter GMs could have predicted and probably did. It's obvious Chia thought SIZE and TOUGHNESS would be the recipe for success in this league with how he built the Oilers and now how he's admitted the team needs to get faster.

That size and toughness did a pretty good job in 16/17. The Flames have done a lot of stuff better, but signing Neal wasn't something I'd bring into an argument.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You realize both Rieder and Khaira were drafted by the Oilers(and much later in the draft) and are vastly outproducing Janko and Dube, right?

Klefbom and Backlund are similar.

So who are all these late round picks they're turning into roster players?

Ferland counts. His value and development was combined with Hamilton and parlayed into Lindholm/Hanifin. Backlund is a better draft/development story than the Oilers have had this last decade. And then let's not forget 4th round pick Gaudreau.

Reactions: oilmanab

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You know who’s happy that Lucic is an Oiler. Mcdavid.

His own teammates appreciate having him on the team which is more important then what us fans think.

TM just needs to utilize Lucic properly. Keep him on the bottom six and stop putting him out there when we’re down a goal in the last minute. We just have to forget about his cap hit and accept that he’ll be an Oiler until the CBA expires.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That size and toughness did a pretty good job in 16/17. The Flames have done a lot of stuff better, but signing Neal wasn't something I'd bring into an argument.

I don't discount the value of that size and toughness in the Playoffs. I truly believe we won the San Jose series with our physicality. But if that physicality cant even get us to the post season what value does it have?

Reactions: Hippasus

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ferland counts. His value and development was combined with Hamilton and parlayed into Lindholm/Hanifin. Backlund is a better draft/development story than the Oilers have had this last decade. And then let's not forget 4th round pick Gaudreau.
Klefbom says hello, klefbom is a better defenseman than backlund is a center.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Klefbom says hello, klefbom is a better defenseman than backlund is a center.

Depends on which Klefbom we see. Although I will give credit for the Klefbom development/pick, if he's a number 3 its a success. If he does better its gravy. But my overall point is, is we were to compare our drafting record to theirs on a pick by pick basis, not cherry picking this or that example I'd say the Flames would be winning this quite handedly. Or do you know of any 4th or 5th round draft pick successes the Oilers have had that are on the level of Ferland or Gaudreau?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Flames embarrass Oilers off the ice in the management office which leads to them embarrassing us on the ice. Think about it:
- They get Tkachuk, we get Pulju.
- They get Hamilton, we get Reinhart.
- Hamilton gets parlayed into Lindholm and Hanifin.
- They have the cap space to sign a legit NHL winger in James Neal, a free asset. We don't have the cap space or free agency attractiveness to get anyone close.
- They can turn later round draft picks (Backlund, Jankowski, Dube etc) into roster players. We can't.
- They sign their star forwards to reasonable contracts (we overpay for ours)

Yet the Oilers went farther than them two seasons ago, they missed the playoffs along with the Oilers season and are barely ahead of the Oilers this season.
They embarrassed the Oilers in one period. Other than that, the Oilers have owned them the last 2 seasons.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Except 90% of your understanding is wrong.

According to you. Woopty f***in doo.

But sure, keep thinking our drafting has been better than Calgary's. A quick look at their picks vs ours this last decade will make it pretty obvious. And I guess you also think Reinhart>Hamilton, Lucic>Neal, Pulju>Tkachuk, Drai wasn't overpaid, since 90% of my original post was wrong.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yet they missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons and are barely ahead of the Oilers this season.
They embarrassed the Oilers in one period. Other than that, the Oilers have owned them the last 2 seasons.

And we have the best player in the game with multiple first overall picks and higher draft picks than they've had and somehow they've been pretty even with us the last couple years and on paper look to be the better team moving forward.

Reactions: Dan403 and oilmanab

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I don't discount the value of that size and toughness in the Playoffs. I truly believe we won the San Jose series with our physicality. But if that physicality cant even get us to the post season what value does it have?

Well you need physicality and the ability to score. So they've at least been physical, but they're stuck playing a horrific system.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lots of your criticisms are disingenuous but have at it.

Disingenuous? No. Maybe fueled by rage? Sure. But still think in spite of the rage my overall point is right. Flames management > Oilers management. Drafting, free agent signings, trades, cap management, are all in their favor.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well you need physicality and the ability to score. So they've at least been physical, but they're stuck playing a horrific system.

I waiver back and forth between if its the system or it's the talent. I don't think we have the talent needed. But also Tmac's offensive zone systems seems to be non existent. It's probably a mix of both. An indictment on the management AND coaching. But if I had to pick one of the two as the reason we suck I'd peg it on management.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I waiver back and forth between if its the system or it's the talent. I don't think we have the talent needed. But also Tmac's offensive zone systems seems to be non existent. It's probably a mix of both. An indictment on the management AND coaching. But if I had to pick one of the two as the reason we suck I'd peg it on management.

I don't think this roster is all that great, but I really want to see them play a different system before I write them off. But I agree, management is just as much ass as Mclellan

Reactions: RegDunlop

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think this roster is all that great, but I really want to see them play a different system before I write them off. But I agree, management is just as much ass as Mclellan

Me too. Which is why coaches always go before the GM (it's just the easier more immediately helpful change). So while I'm not ready to put all the blame on Tmac, I understand if we have to let him go to try a different look. It's atleast one step further in knowing for sure what's wrong with this team. Say if Quennville comes in or Vigneaut and they also can't get this team going, then we know for sure Chia's built a stinker here.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Disingenuous? No. Maybe fueled by rage? Sure. But still think in spite of the rage my overall point is right. Flames management > Oilers management. Drafting, free agent signings, trades, cap management, are all in their favor.

No disingenuous is right.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And we have the best player in the game with multiple first overall picks and higher draft picks than they've had and somehow they've been pretty even with us the last couple years and on paper look to be the better team moving forward.

You said the Flames have embarrassed the Oilers in every respect and I showed that they haven't. That's all.
If they didn't dominate the Oilers in one period last night, this wouldn't even be s conversation.

Some people are sucking off the Flames as if they have accomplished something. The Oilers have accomplished more than they have the last 2 seasons while making the Flames their bitch for the most part. Congrats to the Flames for winning a period.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Way to nit pick and miss the whole point. You can hate the Flames and still recognize that they’ve done a better job than the Oilers. And done it with zero FOA picks.

Hasn’t really done much for them in the long run.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Yet the Oilers went farther than them two seasons ago, they missed the playoffs along with the Oilers season and are barely ahead of the Oilers this season.

Apparently one period conveniently erased the rest of the game for some people.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No disingenuous is right.

Okay your right I’m just lying.

Our drafting has been better just look at all the 4th and 5th rounders we’ve turned into NHLers, and our roster is just brimming with second round talent, Lucic will obviously be the better player than Neal I mean look how amazing he is on the ice, and Draisaitl totally not overpaid. And Reinhart was an amazing trade! Totally better than trading for Hamilton.

Reactions: oilmanab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad