Post-Game Talk: Flames 4 Oilers 2 - f***ing losers

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
At this point. I doubt it lasts long though, Neal will turn it around and their team will deeper while our team continues to get worse every year.

I'll believe it when I see it. He's not getting any younger and he doesn't gel in the their top 6.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I meant as in not top of the first round type draft picks. We can't get our late firsts and early 2nds into the roster. They can.
You also ignore how we signed the top forward in his free agent year in Milan Lucic, and the top D man in Andrej Sekera.

Your list is complete garbage.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'll believe it when I see it. He's not getting any younger and he doesn't gel in the their top 6.

Sure but I doubt it. Neal has had multiple successful goal scoring seasons to show what player he is, I tend to look at that rather than a 20 game sample size on a new team. He'll turn it around or at the very least score some key goals for them in the post season.

Meanwhile, we get "star" free agent signings like Lucic. Who do you trust having the better career going forward of their signing? Neal or Lucic?

Reactions: oilmanab

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You also ignore how we signed the top forward in his free agent year in Milan Lucic, and the top D man in Andrej Sekera.

Your list is complete garbage.

Would you rather have Lucic or Neal moving forward? And do you think this ability to sign free agents is going to continue on for the Oilers? I think the very BRIEF glimmer of free agency attractiveness came from the McDavid effect. That effect is now gone. Onto the PTOs and League Minimum contracts for NHLers who can't find a spot on any other team. That's our future now.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Sure but I doubt it. Neal has had multiple successful goal scoring seasons to show what player he is, I tend to look at that rather than a 20 game sample size on a new team. He'll turn it around or at the very least score some key goals for them in the post season.

Meanwhile, we get "star" free agent signings like Lucic. Who do you trust having the better career going forward of their signing? Neal or Lucic?

The problem is looking at it with hindsight. Lucic was a sought after UFA when he was signed, no one could have predicted his absolute cliff dive of hockey skill. I don't think either of them will be any good going forward. It'll be a different breed of player that will contribute well into their 30s pretty soon.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Would you rather have Lucic or Neal moving forward? And do you think this ability to sign free agents is going to continue on for the Oilers? I think the very BRIEF glimmer of free agency attractiveness came from the McDavid effect. That effect is now gone. Onto the PTOs and League Minimum contracts for NHLers who can't find a spot on any other team. That's our future now.
And all these "late round picks"

You mean backlund who was 24th overall, Junkowski who was 19th, and Dube who was 56th are now considered late picks.

Junkowski has 4 points in 17 games, he's sure killing it out there.
Dube has 2 points in 15 games, what a beast.
Backlund took 4 years to be a NHL regular.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
All emotionalism aside, and even giving Peter the benefit of the doubt in the sense that all GM's need to gamble a bit, he hasn't been very successful. Blame him or chance, it doesn't matter. He needs to be held accountable.

Actually i like this. I don't like judging on what I can't see. So I usually tend to put blame on the coach as I can see what he is or isn't doing. Now I fully understand that what he is given to make that happen is a different story, and matter of opinion.

But I for one, have given Chia the benefit of the doubt all along. But you're right. Whether his hands were tied, whether trade prices were exorbitant, whether market was or wasn't there for trades made, really doesn't matter anymore. If at any time you draw a line and say ok - I'll forget yesterday, let's start today with a clean slate and see what happens (like I've done), only to get s**t on again and again, there has to be some accountability to that no?

Well said.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The problem is looking at it with hindsight. Lucic was a sought after UFA when he was signed, no one could have predicted his absolute cliff dive of hockey skill. I don't think either of them will be any good going forward. It'll be a different breed of player that will contribute well into their 30s pretty soon.

No one could have? LA who saw him play could have and did and didn't offer up the contract. Boston fans in his last seasons there also saw it and wouldn't have touched Lucic with a ten foot pole. According to some non specific reports Lucic had other offers and chose here. How many other offers? No one knows. Maybe it was 2 other teams, maybe 3 or 4, and he chose Edmonton. So should we be happy that 2, 3 or 4 other teams were also as stupid as we were by not seeing the obvious downward trend of his game and the obvious trend (set by multiple Pens Cups wins) of the league moving towards speed and quickness?

North

Jun 25, 2009
:huh: None of these players are late-round draft picks.

Also, what makes Jankowski (first round pick) useful? He does nothing on the ice. Backlund (first round pick) took awhile to become the player he is now and Dube (second round pick I believe) is still magic beans.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No one could have? LA who saw him play could have and did and didn't offer up the contract. Boston fans in his last seasons there also saw it and wouldn't have touched Lucic with a ten foot pole. According to some non specific reports Lucic had other offers and chose here. How many other offers? No one knows. Maybe it was 2 other teams, maybe 3 or 4, and he chose Edmonton. So should we be happy that 2, 3 or 4 other teams were also as stupid as we were by not seeing the obvious downward trend of his game and the obvious trend (set by multiple Pens Cups wins) of the league moving towards speed and quickness?
LA offered him 8 years, at a little lower cap hit cause of their cap situation, so now you're just talking about stuff you don't really understand.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

When did I see we should be happy watching a beer leaguer play hockey? He's ass, but no one expected the bottom to drop out from under him. I think most people expected a more gradual declin. Same thing is happening to Neal.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Flames embarrass Oilers off the ice in the management office which leads to them embarrassing us on the ice. Think about it:
- They get Tkachuk, we get Pulju.
- They get Hamilton, we get Reinhart.
- Hamilton gets parlayed into Lindholm and Hanifin.
- They have the cap space to sign a legit NHL winger in James Neal, a free asset. We don't have the cap space or free agency attractiveness to get anyone close.
- They can turn later round draft picks (Backlund, Jankowski, Dube etc) into roster players. We can't.
- They sign their star forwards to reasonable contracts (we overpay for ours)

ya flames management has outdone chia and they do have a deeper and overall better team it seems skillwise. lindholm was an excellent pick up. this guy looks like a selke type player that's a huge core piece of a winning team as of now. the oil execs better have a good plan in place and not waste another season. i was never a chia fan nor a chia hater but time is running out on him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
- They can turn later round draft picks (Backlund, Jankowski, Dube etc) into roster players. We can't.

You realize both Rieder and Khaira were drafted by the Oilers(and much later in the draft) and are vastly outproducing Janko and Dube, right?

Klefbom and Backlund are similar.

So who are all these late round picks they're turning into roster players?

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
ya flames management has outdone chia and they do have a deeper and overall better team it seems skillwise. lindholm was an excellent pick up. this guy looks like a selke type player that's a huge core piece of a winning team as of now. the oil execs better have a good plan in place and not waste another season. i was never a chia fan nor a chia hater but time is running out on him.

Flames management doing better than Chiarelli is about as impressive as a deaf guy beating a blind guy at a game of tic-tac-toe

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And all these "late round picks"

You mean backlund who was 24th overall, Junkowski who was 19th, and Dube who was 56th are now considered late picks.

Junkowski has 4 points in 17 games, he's sure killing it out there.
Dube has 2 points in 15 games, what a beast.
Backlund took 4 years to be a NHL regular.

I mean picks that weren't top of the 1st round and even then Pulju doesn't work for us. Jankowski is an NHLer, he proved that last year. His tepid start to the season doesn't discount that he's an NHLer while our picks don't even get a sniff or we lose them stupidly if they by some miracle work out (like Pitlic). Dube's on the roster and there's plenty of time. I'd say his arrows are better than Yamo at this point.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I mean picks that weren't top of the 1st round and even then Pulju doesn't work for us. Jankowski is an NHLer, he proved that last year. His tepid start to the season doesn't discount that he's an NHLer while our picks don't even get a sniff or we lose them stupidly if they by some miracle work out (like Pitlic). Dube's on the roster and there's plenty of time. I'd say his arrows are better than Yamo at this point.
How about Sam Bennett as a pick for them?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
LA offered him 8 years, at a little lower cap hit cause of their cap situation, so now you're just talking about stuff you don't really understand.

So LA offering him 4.25 M Cap hit and walking away from it at any higher amount than that means the Oilers weren't stupid for offering 6M (which was probably the top offer available?). And then to use LA's offer when its obvious their GM also missed the memo on where the League was going speed wise. Looks like LA was stupid as well, but not as stupid as our management.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
When did I see we should be happy watching a beer leaguer play hockey? He's ass, but no one expected the bottom to drop out from under him. I think most people expected a more gradual declin. Same thing is happening to Neal.

Smarter GMs could have predicted and probably did. It's obvious Chia thought SIZE and TOUGHNESS would be the recipe for success in this league with how he built the Oilers and now how he's admitted the team needs to get faster.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yup. And unmentioned in my post before is that they actually understand the concept of building from the back end and actually have a respectable D core. Were still trying to make AHL plugs like Benning fit or try out long shot gambles like Auvitu. We have zero offensive ability back there. The teams biggest missing piece ongoing for like a decade now.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So LA offering him 4.25 M Cap hit and walking away from it at any higher amount than that means the Oilers weren't stupid for offering 6M (which was probably the top offer available?). And then to use LA's offer when its obvious their GM also missed the memo on where the League was going speed wise. Looks like LA was stupid as well, but not as stupid as our management.

Nonsense. They didn't have the space to go higher. Montreal, according to reports, did offer more but Lucic wanted to stay in the West.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It wasn't the top offer available.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Moving the goal posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad