Post-Game Talk: Flames 4 Oilers 2 - f***ing losers

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Chia's drafting appears to be better but we won't know that for a little while. When were Ferland, Gaudreau and Backlund drafted again?

I'm done with this, you're exhausting.

Yes. Chia has a chance to turn around our drafting successes. Early returns are a mixed bag though. We still don't have anyone in the lineup as a result of this supposed better drafting. The Flames do. That's a point in their favor. Those other 3 were drafted before Treliving but my point was Oilers management in comparison to Flames management, which include Treliving vs. Chia but isn't exclusive only to their time there.

In any case, agree to disagree. Hopefully Oilers win tonight and us Oilers fans can stop being at eachothers' throats over the Flames FFS.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Results are all that matters.
The fact of the matter is that the Oilers have owned the Flames ass for the most part the last 2+ seasons and the Flames have nothing to brag about in that timeframe.

In any event, I was contested your original post that the Flames have embarrassed the Oilers in every aspect. Obviously Flames management is better, every management team is better, HFOil could put together a better management team.

Could we put together a better burger though?

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I assume he was hurt. McLellan can’t be that daft.. right?

I only noticed him in two shifts as I FF through the PVR. The last one he was absolutely lost. Wouldn't blame a coach for sitting him a shift.
But of course if its Todd, he probably sat him all game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The single biggest thing that stood out last night is that we cannot do anything on the break out and the coach cannot adapt mid game or at all really. We've heard about guys that are "eyes in the sky" and is it a coincidence that the 3rd period we couldn't do anything? They made adjustments and we are just meat and potatoes and cannot/will not.

The toughness was there, the compete was there until every puck could not leave the zone and our 3 lines kept getting pinned in our own zone. New coach, new system add a PMD or two and this is a MUCH better team.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The single biggest thing that stood out last night is that we cannot do anything on the break out and the coach cannot adapt mid game or at all really. We've heard about guys that are "eyes in the sky" and is it a coincidence that the 3rd period we couldn't do anything? They made adjustments and we are just meat and potatoes and cannot/will not.

The toughness was there, the compete was there until every puck could not leave the zone and our 3 lines kept getting pinned in our own zone. New coach, new system add a PMD or two and this is a MUCH better team.

I don't understand why they are so set on McLellan.

I think management as a whole has this respect for McLellan that it out of line with the actual coaching that he's providing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Could we put together a better burger though?

That's the only thing Bobby Nicks does well so might be tough for us to out-burger him.
I'm sure we could put together a better hockey team though. He's still evaluating. Brace Yourself, Evaluation is Coming. #cupofoilavatarshoutout

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's the only thing Bobby Nicks does well so might be tough for us to out-burger him.
I'm sure we could put together a better hockey team though.

The burger is what counts, so we ain't getting that job.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Breakout has been an issue with this team for a long time. But the standard breakout in the NHL is used by pretty much all the teams, first the D-man has to make a play and get the puck back (our D aren't great at this except for Larsson), then the puck goes to a winger on the halfboards and at that point he needs to make a play with it. It's a combination of skills that gets the puck out and up, of the D-man to win the puck back and of the winger to make a play with it. Lucic might be the worst in the league at this particular part of the game as he lacks the quickness and the stick skills to make that play consistently. And our other wingers aren't very good at it either.

So again like I'm always asking, is it the coach (systems) or is it the talent?

On toughness and compete. Yes they were, actually I think for the most part our players under Tmac put in the right amount of effort most games. But you can't outeffort glaring deficiencies in the talent you need to get the job done. Don't think our players are good enough. Also think the coach is average at best.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I dunno man, I think the only thing keeping McDavid from asking for a trade is that delicious burger.

So I guess Bobby Nicks job is done then. I'm guessing the evaluation is comprised of making a better burger?

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
You're fooling yourself if you think the Flames are a bad team. The only thing bad about the Flames has been Mike Smith (3.48 GAA & .876 Save%) and it appears that Smith will now be riding the bench for the forseeable future.
The Flames have 5 players (Giordano, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm) who have scored 18 or more points in 20 games and David Rittich has a 6-1 record with a GAA of 1.91 and a Save% of .933
The Flames are also in 11th place in overall league standings and should arguably be higher if Smith hadn't **** the bed in a number of games that he started.

Also, the Flames are in 4th place in the league in Shots For/GP (34.3) and in 3rd place in Shots Against/GP (28.3). They've generally dominated most teams they've played against. Up til now, goaltending has been their achilles heel.

Last I checked, the Flames are -16 in the first 2 periods and were +17 in the third. Correct me if I’m wrong because I’m going based off memory here, but I recall reading that the Flames are also amongst the highest in terms of taking low quality shots in the league.

Goaltending isn’t the Achilles heal for the Flames, they just aren’t that good of a team. Give up way too many odd man chances and are constantly chasing games they have been in. Credit to them for not giving up but that isn’t the recipe to success. IMO, when it is all said and done, things will balance out and the Flames will once again be fighting for a playoff spot and be a bubble team.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Battle of Alberta is more like the Battle of Mediocrity these days ... both of these teams look like total pretenders.

Flames have a bit more depth, Oilers have McDavid. The legit Canadian teams are the Jets and Leafs, they are way beyond these two, and if they don't figure their crap out soon, Vancouver might overtake them soon enough.

Then why don't you cheer for them then?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder what you’re going to do about that Jimmi. I mean surely if you put your head down and think about it you can come up with a way to get the coach fired. Let’s do it! I mean ‘unacceptable’ is unacceptable right?
I do that was garbage and an embarrassment

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
You don't listen to rebuttals or if you do you move the posts like your buddy that you are defending, at that point your being disingenuous like him.

It's not fun for other people when you're spamming a topic with nonsense without actually listening to well reasoned arguments or facts.

Haven't read the rest of your argument but I must ask - WTF is he being 'disingenuous' about, since you throw it around so much? In his initial rant, I found this to be the only thing he wasn't correct on;

- They can turn later round draft picks (Backlund, Jankowski, Dube etc) into roster players.

He then went on to agree he wasn't correct and explained he was enraged.
Why do you need to carry it on? I don't understand this board sometimes.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Haven't read the rest of your argument but I must ask - WTF is he being 'disingenuous' about, since you throw it around so much? In his initial rant, I found this to be the only thing he wasn't correct on;

- They can turn later round draft picks (Backlund, Jankowski, Dube etc) into roster players.

He then went on to agree he wasn't correct and explained he was enraged.
Why do you need to carry it on? I don't understand this board sometimes.

I don't understand why you chimed in when it was done? I'd go back and check the posts and list all my issues with them but the conversation was done so...

HC7

May 2, 2018
Your team is so bad even though I'd like to troll I feel bad because your management is pathetic.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I don't understand why they are so set on McLellan.

I think management as a whole has this respect for McLellan that it out of line with the actual coaching that he's providing.

I truly believe there is something else at play. As a loyal fan since inception, I cannot fathom the ineptness in every aspect of this operation. Yet it remains as one of top producers in the league. Its astonishing.

You can literally (and we have) make a list of the management and coaching total blunders in the last 15+ years that would take up more space than 2 GDTs!

Yet it continues!!!!?!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I don't understand why you chimed in when it was done? I'd go back and check the posts and list all my issues with them but the conversation was done so...

I apologize. Should have read the whole argument.
Late to posting everything this weekend.

Cheers!

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Your team is so bad even though I'd like to troll I feel bad because your management is pathetic.

It's so bad that it's getting to the point that we need to laugh at it, while the rest of the league just cries out of compassion. It has to be getting to that point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You know I liked engaging in discussion with you.

However you have some pretty strange takes. A month ago you were defending LD as the greatest player who ever put tape on a stick, when the whole fu**ing universe could see he was struggling and playing like s**t.
You're reasoning was that 'you never slag good players'. But in this thread you've posted a few that dis Nuge pretty good. Is he not an acceptable player to you?

And this rhetoric about Sponner, good God, how hard is it to fly in and play a hockey game when you've done nothing but that your whole life? Give me a break. And it was also more time than people are saying as he was sat out of his last NYR game to facilitate trade. He knew he was coming.

Finally - you're actually saying that Russell shouldn't be in a battle of Alberta????? I think you may want to reconsider that one.

How could it not be obvious to you I was referring to the rookie, Patrick Russell?

As far as Spooner, no, I do not believe for an instant that in 2018 you should fly a player in in trade and play them the same day before they are familiar with schemes, sets, breakouts etc. I'm a purist when it comes to adherence to system play so of course I expect a player should be well versed on what the team even plays. ESPECIALLY if they are going to be playing topsix. That you think this is a good idea to play Spooner this weekend astounds me. In a BOA and in divisional games it astounds me the Oilers would make this trade exactly on the day they did. This is the biggest segment of the season and we are short 3 forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad