GDT: Flames (33-13-3) @ Capitals (27-17-6) - Feb 1 | 5PM MST | SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Injuries, father time, and the new equipment change have failed Smith. He just does not look comfortable out there and his new, awkward technique is trying to compensate for these new holes in his game. Rittich is entering his prime and hasn't suffered much adversity so far in his NHL career so he adapted pretty well this year. Smith is still a fiery competitor but it's for the best that he's been relegated to the back-up role because his NHL career is clearly ticking to a close as evidenced by all the soft starts he'd been getting.

We're seeing the same thing with Roberto Luongo, who by all accounts, also had a good 17/18 season like Smith.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Apologist nothing.

I'm saying that he's not costing the team games.

I don't argue his first ten games were any good, and that he's not letting in the occasional garbage goal.

His last 15 games, he's put up a .901 sv%, 2.60 GAA. Incredibly average, but not as horrifying as the first ten games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I didn't hate Vernon but I wasn't a fan of his either. The guy couldn't stop a rebound shot if his life depended on it. After the first shot he was either on his belly or back flopping around like a fish on dry land. He relied heavily on his D to clear away all those juicy rebounds. Vernon may have won two cups, behind two great teams I might add, but he was half the player that Kipper was and Kipper didn't win any cups.

Anyways back to Smith... The Flames play Florida on Feb 14, Arizona on Feb 18th, Ottawa on Feb 24, Arizona again on Mar 7, NYR on Mar 15, Ottawa again on Mar 21, and LA on Mar 25 and Apr 1. Give him those 8 games... not Washington.

So far Rittich has started 27 games and he just got off a 10 day vacation. He's well rested. Having to play another 23 regular season games won't kill him.

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
Hoping for a blow out and have Caps wishing they had Ovechkin for this game.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Apologist nothing.

I'm saying that he's not costing the team games.

I don't argue his first ten games were any good, and that he's not letting in the occasional garbage goal.

His last 15 games, he's put up a .901 sv%, 2.60 GAA. Incredibly average, but not as horrifying as the first ten games.

Not sure where to look this up but I would suspect that a .901 Sv% and a 2.60 GAA is below league average for goalies who have played 15 games or more?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I see the Smith apologists are out in force, must take some kind of willpower to ignore that tied for league worst .888 SV% in 25 GP and try and claim he's a solid backup. Hopefully he doesn't cook up some muffins tonight, I'll be as happy as anyone. He's played much better recently for sure, but he's earned his current reputation of letting in awful goals.
It takes some kind of ignorance to disregard that he started terribly and has been a decent backup since probably mid-November.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Rittich must get annoyed that he performs so well yet the team still keeps going back to Smith.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not sure where to look this up but I would suspect that a .901 Sv% and a 2.60 GAA is below league average for goalies who have played 15 games or more?
NHL.com, use the filters. Save% is around 40th, GAA around 17th with that criteria. Not going to win any awards, and not going to go deep in the ploffs with him, but adequately average numbers especially for a backup.

Now if he could just stop doing stupid shit when he plays the puck...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's really refreshing to have a 4th line that is actually competent at generating some offensive pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad