Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

image.gif

Reactions: Migos

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Peters has earned the benefit of the doubt with how he's managed Rittich's minutes so far. Hopefully Smith doesn't f*** it up, for his sake and the teams

Reactions: Drop Shock

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Can't blame Peters for wanting his number 1 fresh for what is essentially a back to back (early afternoon Sunday) in Carolina. I imagine they've had that game circled on the calendar for a while.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The "Lousy Smith" meme is getting tiresome.

He's cost the team exactly three games:
vs. St. Louis (Oct 11)
vs. Nashville (Oct 19)
vs. Boston (Jan 3)

I didn't include Pittsburgh because nobody showed up that night.

The other losses he didn't have any goal support (1 or 2 GF), and he either played statistically / visually well in the loss, or he didn't.

Yes he's getting old. Yes, he needs more rest between games. Yes, he's not stealing games. But he's nowhere as bad as you guys are making him out to be.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

vs. St. Louis (Oct 11)
vs. Nashville (Oct 19)
vs. Boston (Jan 3)

The other losses he didn't have any goal support (1 or 2 GF), and he either played statistically / visually well in the loss, or he didn't.

Yes he's getting old. Yes, he needs more rest between games. Yes, he's not stealing games. But he's nowhere as bad as you guys are making him out to be.

While I agree, its quite easy to see why Smith gets the hate. He has let in quite a lot of easy looking goals this year

I dont agree with Smith haters, but I understand why they have that opinion about Smith

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

vs. St. Louis (Oct 11)
vs. Nashville (Oct 19)
vs. Boston (Jan 3)

- 100% lost us the Montreal game (Nov 15th)
- got horribly outplayed by Gibson against Anaheim (Nov 17th)
- was beyond brutal against St. Louis (Oct 11th)

Not to mention the number of games we've won in spite of Smith, who did his best to screw us over.

There's been way more games in which Smith has cost us games than games in which Smith has won us

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
- 100% lost us the Montreal game (Nov 15th)
- got horribly outplayed by Gibson against Anaheim (Nov 17th)
- was beyond brutal against St. Louis (Oct 11th)

Not to mention the number of games we've won in spite of Smith, who did his best to screw us over.

There's been way more games in which Smith has cost us games than games in which Smith has won us
Anaheim game (7th), Flames scored 2 goals on 39 shots. Gibson outplaying Smith is irrelevant.

Montreal game, no goal support - Flames scored 2 goals on 45 shots. Although that 3rd goal was as bad for Smith as the 2nd goal was as bad for the rest of the team.

St. Louis game, Flames scored 2 goals, and went 0/4 on the PP, first three goals against on brutal giveaways and bad defense. But I'll give you St. Louis' 4th goal, Smith blew playing the puck on that one.

I stand by my statement.

Reactions: SKRusty

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Peters has earned the benefit of the doubt with how he's managed Rittich's minutes so far. Hopefully Smith doesn't **** it up, for his sake and the teams
This, more than anything. You don't have to believe in Smith but you sure as hell can't doubt Peters' judgment at this point.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
tumblr_lwgd6468Z01r0yq4zo1_500.gif

To those whining about Smith... Since November he has at least become a reliable back-up so until Smith has lost 2-3 in a row maybe it is better to be quiet.

Peters has several reasons for starting Smith that probably include:
  1. Smith hasn't played since January 18th and needs action.
  2. Washington is a bubble playoff team to this point after dropping 7 in a row.
  3. Calgary is coming off a long break and the game probably won't be pretty. So why mess with Rittich's confidence.
  4. Peters actually knows his players and is much more adept in making the appropriate decision than every last one of us.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Smith was also largely responsible for that one loss against San Jose. He let in that one absolute back breaker I think in the third.

And that's the problem; the team in front of Smith has to not only outscore his miscues, but also deal with him constantly giving up those wholly weak goals against at the worst of times.

He's a reliable backup only in the sense that the team in front of him is so strong. His save percentage is the second last in the entire league. Goals against average is 12th worst. On the flip side, Rittich is top ten in both.

Smith most likely won't even be in the NHL next year. Just like Glencross and Jones and Wideman and so on.

But to be clear, I don't fault Peters too much on this; Rittich's minutes need to be managed given his lack of experience and the importance of him being ready to go for the playoffs. So I fully expect Smith to start a fair number of games down the stretch. As per Peters, it's 31 games in 62 days. It's just unfortunate since Smith sucks and there aren't any better options.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Smith as a whole has not been a train wreck, he has made some great saves, especially as of late. It is the wrist shot from just inside the blue line beach balls that he has let in that even I could save. It's alarming...and in a league this tight, you just cannot afford to give those up. All I want from him is the ability to not let one of those go in...I don't care if he gets lit up, I'll put that on our team who should be able to mitigate that. Just don't let in a complete bullshit goal, that's all I ask.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
While I agree, its quite easy to see why Smith gets the hate. He has let in quite a lot of easy looking goals this year

I dont agree with Smith haters, but I understand why they have that opinion about Smith
Yes it is easy to see why... just look at the people hating

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smith was also largely responsible for that one loss against San Jose. He let in that one absolute back breaker I think in the third.
Bull f***ing shit.

Rittich lets in that goal and the Smith haters will all give him a free pass and give the placement of the shot the due it deserves, because it was a well placed by a top end sniper.

But because it's Smith, it's all his fault.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Flames lost that Sharks game 3-1... they weren't scoring another goal on Martin Jones that night regardless of Smith letting that in or not. To blame that one on Smith is pretty revisionist.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

vs. St. Louis (Oct 11)
vs. Nashville (Oct 19)
vs. Boston (Jan 3)

giphy.gif

Anaheim game (7th), Flames scored 2 goals on 39 shots. Gibson outplaying Smith is irrelevant.

Montreal game, no goal support - Flames scored 2 goals on 45 shots. Although that 3rd goal was as bad for Smith as the 2nd goal was as bad for the rest of the team.

St. Louis game, Flames scored 2 goals, and went 0/4 on the PP, first three goals against on brutal giveaways and bad defense. But I'll give you St. Louis' 4th goal, Smith blew playing the puck on that one.

I stand by my statement.
giphy.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames lost that Sharks game 3-1... they weren't scoring another goal on Martin Jones that night regardless of Smith letting that in or not. To blame that one on Smith is pretty revisionist.
And number 1 center Sam Bennett failed on the PS that game iirc

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bull ****ing ****.

Rittich lets in that goal and the Smith haters will all give him a free pass and give the placement of the shot the due it deserves, because it was a well placed by a top end sniper.

9sqa2TE.jpg

Rittich's poor goals against tend not to cost the Flames wins. Smith has this plenty of times this season. Get over it.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Bull ****ing ****.

Calgary Flames fans are notoriously bad for hanging the teams performance on the goalie. Back in the day it was "Beach Ball" Vernon today it is Smith.

I would love to see Smith shove it down the throats of the nay-sayers come playoff time like Vernon did. Vernon got 2 cups and a Conn Smythe. Not to bad for "Beach Ball" Vernon. FYI Detroit does not win the 97 Cup if it weren't for Vernon.

FYI Vernon took over the starter role in the Playoffs after Osgood fumbled the ball. Many had written Vernon off as too old.

Vernons Regular season stats in '97.

PlayerMINGPWLTGAGAASOSASVSV%
Chris Osgood276947231391062.30611751069.910
Mike Vernon19523313118792.430782703.899
Kevin Hodson294622181.631114106.930
Team:5015823826181932.31720711878.907
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Vernon won the Conn Smythe.

Holtby last year:

Regular season
PlayerGPGSTOIWLOTGAGAASASV%SOGAPIM
Braden Holtby50502,829:35311541433.031,520.9060002
Philipp Grubauer31241,628:411293622.29836.9263000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hotlby contended for the Conn Smyth after Grubauer fumbled the ball against Columbus.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
9sqa2TE.jpg

Rittich's poor goals against tend not to cost the Flames wins. Smith has this plenty of times this season. Get over it.
You mean the starter wins more games on his own than the backup?

In other breaking news, the Oilers are no good

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary Flames fans are notoriously bad for hanging the teams performance on the goalie. Back in the day it was "Beach Ball" Vernon today it is Smith.

I would love to see Smith shove it down the throats of the nay-sayers come playoff time like Vernon did. Vernon got 2 cups and a Conn Smythe. Not to bad for "Beach Ball" Vernon. FYI Detroit does not win the 97 Cup if it weren't for Vernon.

FYI Vernon took over the starter role in the Playoffs after Osgood fumbled the ball. Many had written Vernon off as too old.

Vernons Regular season stats in '97.

PlayerMINGPWLTGAGAASOSASVSV%
Chris Osgood276947231391062.30611751069.910
Mike Vernon19523313118792.430782703.899
Kevin Hodson294622181.631114106.930
Team:5015823826181932.31720711878.907
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Holtby last year:

Regular season
PlayerGPGSTOIWLOTGAGAASASV%SOGAPIM
Braden Holtby50502,829:35311541433.031,520.9060002
Philipp Grubauer31241,628:411293622.29836.9263000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Vernon IMO should have won the Conn Smythe in 89

Reactions: SKRusty

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

vs. St. Louis (Oct 11)
vs. Nashville (Oct 19)
vs. Boston (Jan 3)

He also cost them Anaheim, Montreal, and if he doesn't let in 4 shit goals in a row against Pittsburgh then our team doesn't quit of him.

And even though the Flames came back and won the Colorado game, the 4 goals he spotted them were atrocious.

Reactions: Mitts

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Smith has sucked this year. A SV% of .888 and a GAA of 3.04 are objectively bad and are both substantially worse than his career averages. His Goals Saved Above Average is a dismal -12.42. That's before considering he is playing behind a very good team both offensively and defensively. He has still amazingly won more games than he's lost with those numbers, including 2 SOs. He's let in an absurd amount of weak goals, sometimes looking like he's totally forgotten how to play the position. I don't say any of this because I hate him, it's just the bald truth. I think he's a better goalie when backstopping a shit team and has to face a lot of rubber. He has been better his last couple starts so hopefully this game can be another step for him. As much as I've liked Rittich I'd feel much better if both goalies could put some quality stretches together before the season ends and the playoffs begin. Smith has been a fiery competitor his whole career so I'm still hoping he can remove his head from his ass and make the most of this his last kick at the proverbial cat.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I see the Smith apologists are out in force, must take some kind of willpower to ignore that tied for league worst .888 SV% in 25 GP and try and claim he's a solid backup. Hopefully he doesn't cook up some muffins tonight, I'll be as happy as anyone. He's played much better recently for sure, but he's earned his current reputation of letting in awful goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad