GDT: Flames (33-13-3) @ Capitals (27-17-6) - Feb 1 | 5PM MST | SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So peters, how is that "veteran trust" working for you? No way smith should've started, and yet he gracefully chokes it away again. Please... stop giving this soon to be retired shit starts unless necessary! Thanks

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
What are you talking about? Mangiapane had a good game with some hard plays on the cycle. He also created Hathaway's goal with his IQ.
I'm talking about how he looked outclassed and undersized. I just don't see him sticking unless he starts to do more.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I think instead of wearing jerseys, Flames fans should all wear shirts with a heart around a picture of Mike Smith's face so he knows how much we appreciate his brilliance in goal

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There's a reason they call them saves.... If a goalie wasn't required to make saves they would just be called stops.

I stand correct man...Smith is not supposed to make any tough saves, at least according to some people on here.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I agree with those saying Mangi looks overwhelmed on the 4th line, maybe call Lazar back up and see how he does there?
But I think it's clear we need to acquire a bottom 6 forward for down the stretch.

Reactions: Drop Shock

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm talking about how he looked outclassed and undersized. I just don't see him sticking unless he starts to do more.

Except Mangiapane was hard on the puck and made plenty of strong plays on the cycle - the opposite of looking undersized. He also created a goal out that - the opposite of looking outclassed. The shift where he replaced Tkachuk on 3M was also a solid one.

Sometimes I think people just make up their observations instead of making their observations.

Of course when a guy plays 6-7 minutes you won't notice him a ton.

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Except Mangiapane was hard on the puck and made plenty of strong plays on the cycle - the opposite of looking undersized. He also created a goal out that - the opposite of looking outclassed. The shift where he replaced Tkachuk on 3M was also a solid one.

Sometimes I think people just make up their observations instead of making their observations.

Of course when a guy plays 6-7 minutes you won't notice him a ton.

That's exactly you with Janko

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Honestly we looked like we were trying to find our game all game. Shame we didn't salvage a tie.

Oh well, come back strong for the next one!

Reactions: Migos

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Hamonic is so so important to this team, I could care less about the loss. I hope he's back soon and healthy, we need him for any chance at 1st.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nearly salvaged one here. Oh well. First game off a break has historically been awful for the Flames. We never win the first game of the season, and we never win these either.

On to the next one.

I didn't get to watch this one until late, but why was the crunch of the game a blatantly illegal hit?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That's exactly you with Janko

What observation have I made about Janko, exactly? Have I said he's having an impressive season? Because I think he's been dissapointing for his ability level. Have I said he's even the best player on his line? Because that's very clearly Bennett AINEC. Have I said he'd be doing a lot better between Gaudreau and Lindholm than between Bennett being pidgeonholed on wing and Neal hitting every post? Not yet but now I did.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
By the way, from the half of the game that I watched, James Neal really looks like he's finding it. He's winning a ton of battles and generating chances. Jankowski and Neal seem to complement each other well, and having a puck-hound like Bennett on the line helps them get more opportunities to use that chemistry.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hamonic is so so important to this team, I could care less about the loss. I hope he's back soon and healthy, we need him for any chance at 1st.

The more I watch Andersson the more I think we need to be dangling him for a Liljegren swap because after Hamonic's contract is up we will need an age appropriate replacement.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I was disappointed by Andersson on the winning goal, but that's a rookie mistake made by.... a rookie. It happens. He likely would have won the race to the loose puck, but he hesitated and made the conservative read. You can understand that in a situation where going for it and getting beaten would have meant a 3-on-0.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Its almost as if you need to be able to handle that if you want to go far in the play offs.
We've been on the right side of it all year. Just look at the game against the Sharks. I don't think it's anything to worry about. The referees could have done a better job tonight.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Came here to see if anyone else thought so. Can't find a great replay as was watching on my phone. Do you thing was on side after watching relays?
I think it was pretty clearly on-side.

Also, there is no coach's challenge in the last two minutes of the game. That play would have been automatically reviewed for off-side.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yeah, I was disappointed by Andersson on the winning goal, but that's a rookie mistake made by.... a rookie. It happens. He likely would have won the race to the loose puck, but he hesitated and made the conservative read. You can understand that in a situation where going for it and getting beaten would have meant a 3-on-0.

He'll get better naturally but I think the ceiling there is limited. Our right side defense seems to have a serious hole in terms of upside. Brodie of course is flat out elite and Hamonic is really damn good, but can we keep them both past 2020? If not, I don't know if I would go into 2020 relying on Andersson as a top 4 or heaven forbid a top pair guy. Andersson's value may never be higher than it is right now and I think we should gamble on a guy like Liljegren with a legitimately high ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad