GDT: FLAMES (26-19-11) VS. FLYERS (22-25-10) | 2 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Did Huberdeau play today? Noticed him maybe one time in the last 40 minutes.

For all the expected goal / expected win garbage that we somehow dominate, we give up like 7 grade A chances against probably the worst offense in the league. Marky was bad, our d was also beyond terrible. That first goal was a joke on Hanifin and Rasmus, Hanifin another terrible play on the puck for the 2nd goal, and the 4th goal was basically a blue line turnover leading to an in-zone 2 on 1 and zad completely misplayed it while Pelletier got caught flat footed. Our d is god awful considering we were playing a team led by Wade Alison and Hayes.

Get rid of Hanifin, consider getting rid of Zadorov, and replace with two actually steady dmen. Jesus what a brutal gaame

Our d is equally at fault if not more at fault. Just look at goals 1, 2, and 4. Singling Markstrom out (even though he’s been trash this year) is just misattributing the problem
That's why I don't want to call up Wolf under any circumstances this year. I'm not letting Markstrom off the hook, he's been ass this season. But every game, even if we only give up 22 shots, at least a third of them are very high danger, top quality chances. I really don't want to expose Wolf to that when he's still like 21/222, having a monster AHL season, and this team is clearly more than a hot goalie away from the playoffs anyway. If this team doesn't tighten up the bad chances we're screwed anyway. I'd rather Wolf keep playing big minutes consistently and not risk shattering his confidence at the NHL level the first time he gets an opportunity because we give up 8 grade A chances a game.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Jacob markstrom is a pile of garbage. Any remotely dangerous chance is a goal against. Story of this season

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
That's why I don't want to call up Wolf under any circumstances this year. I'm not letting Markstrom off the hook, he's been ass this season. But every game, even if we only give up 22 shots, at least a third of them are very high danger, top quality chances. I really don't want to expose Wolf to that when he's still like 21/222, having a monster AHL season, and this team is clearly more than a hot goalie away from the playoffs anyway. If this team doesn't tighten up the bad chances we're screwed anyway. I'd rather Wolf keep playing big minutes consistently and not risk shattering his confidence at the NHL level the first time he gets an opportunity because we give up 8 grade A chances a game.
This is exactly where I’m at too. Our d is so much worse than people give it credit for. Marky sucks but we’re also straight up bad defensively.

He needs to make a damn clutch save when we need it, he hasnt done that all year. The D let's some high danger scoring chances, but it's not the Ds job to let in no high danger chances. Virtually any remotely dangerous shot has gone in this yr, markstrom deserves all the shit he gets. He is exactly what Elliot was when he was with us. Faces virtually no danger, still let's in 2 a game and gives the team no confidence.
I totally agree he’s absolute garbage but he’s only a part of the problem. We gotta hold the d accountable too, we cannot be giving up those chances. And it’s not like every team gives those up, we’re supposed to be an elite defensive team (very high d-man salary payroll, ultra-defensive coach, 2 elite two-way C’s).

Marky sucks and I’m mad at him, but our D has been so shaky that it doesn’t even matter if we allow 20 shots per game when 10 of them are incredibly dangerous. Hanifin Zad Stone and sometimes even Weegar make such boneheaded plays it’s almost impressive.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Almost every team in the league give up like 9 high danger chances against. Too many soft goals, too many rebounds on perimeter shots. Markstrom hasn’t been good this year. The team allows a few too many cross ice passes but at the end of the day he’s getting beat on clean looks too often.

For me the PP is just as big of an issue as goaltending.

The D gets a lot of the blame but they are the heart of this team. They cant completely make up for our average forwards and below average goaltending.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
200w.gif

This team completely boggles the mind.

Call up Wolf. I really think he could save our season. No way he's worse than Markstrom at this point. Look at Ersson. 6-0 record coming in.
We could use that.
I say bring up Oscar Dansk, he was great for Vegas in their first year.

Reactions: Fig and Tofveve

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Almost every team in the league give up like 9 high danger chances against. Too many soft goals, too many rebounds on perimeter shots. Markstrom hasn’t been good this year. The team allows a few too many cross ice passes but at the end of the day he’s getting beat on clean looks too often.

For me the PP is just as big of an issue as goaltending.

The D gets a lot of the blame but they are the heart of this team. They cant completely make up for our average forwards and below average goaltending.
Most teams do not give up 9 grade A chances against the Flyers and more against the Red Wings. And especially not teams with completely defensive systems like us. I agree our D should be the backbone of our team but man they are as much of an issue as our offense and goaltending. If we played a run and gun game like we did under Hartley or like Florida last year then sure, less pressure on the D. But if we wanna be a defensive team playing Darryl’s defensive system we need our d to be way way better. Hanifin Rasmus has been so shaky for a while, Zad is incredibly high risk high reward, Weegar is really good but even he makes a few too many boneheaded plays. And then there’s Stone lol. Tanev is the only guy who is consistently reliable.

Replacing Marky would make a huge positive difference for sure I agree, but our D is definitely at fault as well. Our top-9 forwards are pretty filled out now with Pelletier taking the final spot (and Coronato on the way), I see D as the major area to upgrade.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
All I know is Treliving needs to be calling Boston and shipping Lucic to them. Finish his career from where he started. He's useless here. Tying Ruzicka to him is a mistake. I'd even send Ruzicka back to the AHL if he's only going to get 4th line minutes. Rooney can be just as useless, call him up. Don't want Ruzicka's development stalled out already.

I feel sorry for them boys defending Markstrom on the other site. As soon as they finished making excuses why it’s a tough goal to stop and it’s not his fault, he allowed a softie. Almost every game. Lmfao
Yup. And it completely stalls the momentum. Flames were on fire all hyped up when it was tied, then they just gave up after the next Flyers shot that went in of course, just like it always does.

Reactions: DFF

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Most teams do not give up 9 grade A chances against the Flyers and more against the Red Wings. And especially not teams with completely defensive systems like us. I agree our D should be the backbone of our team but man they are as much of an issue as our offense and goaltending. If we played a run and gun game like we did under Hartley or like Florida last year then sure, less pressure on the D. But if we wanna be a defensive team playing Darryl’s defensive system we need our d to be way way better. Hanifin Rasmus has been so shaky for a while, Zad is incredibly high risk high reward, Weegar is really good but even he makes a few too many boneheaded plays. And then there’s Stone lol. Tanev is the only guy who is consistently reliable.

Replacing Marky would make a huge positive difference for sure I agree, but our D is definitely at fault as well. Our top-9 forwards are pretty filled out now with Pelletier taking the final spot (and Coronato on the way), I see D as the major area to upgrade.

Confirmation bias. Empirical evidence says our defence suppresses chances extremely well.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Confirmation bias. Empirical evidence says our defence suppresses chances extremely well.
It’s more that when we do give up a chance it’s incredibly dangerous. Like the 4th goal against today, goalie has almost no chance. I’m not saying our D is bad like Markstrom, and Marky is more at fault overall this year, but simply replacing Marky with a league average goalie and we’re still having way too many breakdowns for a team that plays a defensive system and clogs the neutral zone and collapses in the d zone at the expense of creating rush chances. And we don’t have the offensive firepower to play a more offensive system, so we basically need to be a great defensive team to win. And we haven’t.

Call up Wolf and we improve a good amount, but we’re still middle of the pack for GF and GA. Need to improve in either area to take another step, and our forward roster and prospect pipeline is pretty stacked.

And you’re still way too hard on Marky lol. Not that he’s been good (he’s been awful), but he’s getting left out to dry in a way that xGA simply won’t tell you

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Call up Wolf. I really think he could save our season. No way he's worse than Markstrom at this point. Look at Ersson. 6-0 record coming in.
We could use that.

Save our season in what way? Get us to 8th and a first round loss in 5 games?

I am not letting Markstrom (or Vladar) off the hook our goaltending has been bad but it is far from the only problem. The defense and especially the top 6 forward groups are not good enough. Wolf isn’t fixing that.

Everyone can love Backlibd but at his best he shouldn’t be close to your top forward and he arguably is this year. Pelletier can be exciting for fans but should be nowhere near a top 6 for a play-off team. Kadri and Hubredeau, no matter the reason, are showing they are not guys to be the most important players up front.

Defensively, Zadorov and Stone are just flat out bad. The 7th/8th guy whoever it is Gilbert or Mackey bring nothing. Hanafin/Anderson is a good 2nd pair but not a top pairing. Taney and Weegar are solid but not game changers in any way. Not a terrible group but not one that leads you to success snd not a single guy better than good.

I know I am likely speaking in vain because our owners will always prioritize 2 play-off games at the Dome over trying to win the Cup but this team is so clearly in need of a complete tear down and rebuild there should be no debate about it anymore.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It’s more that when we do give up a chance it’s incredibly dangerous. Like the 4th goal against today, goalie has almost no chance. I’m not saying our D is bad like Markstrom, and Marky is more at fault overall this year, but simply replacing Marky with a league average goalie and we’re still having way too many breakdowns for a team that plays a defensive system and clogs the neutral zone and collapses in the d zone at the expense of creating rush chances. And we don’t have the offensive firepower to play a more offensive system, so we basically need to be a great defensive team to win. And we haven’t.

Call up Wolf and we improve a good amount, but we’re still middle of the pack for GF and GA. Need to improve in either area to take another step, and our forward roster and prospect pipeline is pretty stacked

Goalie had almost no chance on the 4th goal?

Okay we just agree to disagree. If the guy’s ass isn’t literally at the goal line that goal probably doesn’t happen.

These “super duper” dangerous chances I just don’t see, and none of the stats see it either. Just seems like an after the fact justification for markstrom being horrible.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

Call up Wolf and we improve a good amount, but we’re still middle of the pack for GF and GA. Need to improve in either area to take another step, and our forward roster and prospect pipeline is pretty stacked.

And you’re still way too hard on Marky lol. Not that he’s been good (he’s been awful), but he’s getting left out to dry in a way that xGA simply won’t tell you
On the 4th goal, the puck definitely shouldn't get through Zadorov but that's exactly what Markstrom should be anticipating for. It's just pure laziness and lack of anticipation on his part.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Really disappointing game from the Flames defensively. Two goals off allowing back-door tap-ins (and the first one was a woof giveaway from Hanifin) and two goals where we allow them to have uncontested time and space in the middle of the slot to decide when and where to shoot.

Not all slot shots are equally dangerous. That type of chance you should be expecting to bury, and they did.

Credit to the Flames for sticking with it and getting the goals to tie it, but they never should have been trailing in this game with how little defending they had to do.

This is ultimately representative of the Flames all season long. They understand how to reduce their time on defense, but they just can't stop getting themselves mixed up and making those small number of chances more dangerous than anything they generate themselves.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Really disappointing game from the Flames defensively. Two goals off allowing back-door tap-ins (and the first one was a woof giveaway from Hanifin) and two goals where we allow them to have uncontested time and space in the middle of the slot to decide when and where to shoot.

Not all slot shots are equally dangerous. That type of chance you should be expecting to bury, and they did.

Credit to the Flames for sticking with it and getting the goals to tie it, but they never should have been trailing in this game with how little defending they had to do.

This is ultimately representative of the Flames all season long. They understand how to reduce their time on defense, but they just can't stop getting themselves mixed up and making those small number of chances more dangerous than anything they generate themselves.

xGA was 2.09. The flames had multiple banger chances that the other goalje could save (which always gets brushed off as “bad finish”).

Confirmation bias to a T here folks. The defence is bad because every single breakdown is in the net (which has nothing to do with the defence but because it went in it’s a poor effort). Every single nhl team has breakdowns, so the flames should not have any ever or it’s a poor defensive effort.

I don’t normally go out of my way to say it, but this is a flat out wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong take that is just trying to justify the fact our goaltending is crap. Ik you won’t agree anglesmith, but goaltending is the single biggest sinker for our team. We have an incredible defence, saying otherwise is using subjective feel.

I’ll just say this, @Bleedred has watched every single ga for every team and sees what happens, and he’s not seeing this super duper breakdowns that apply only to Calgary either.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Suck it up old walrus. You picked him.

Give Vladar 4 consecutive games no matter what. Give him that chance you old mug.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
xGA was 2.09. The flames had multiple banger chances that the other goalje could save (which always gets brushed off as “bad finish”).

Confirmation bias to a T here folks. The defence is bad because every single breakdown is in the net (which has nothing to do with the defence but because it went in it’s a poor effort). Every single nhl team has breakdowns, so the flames should not have any ever or it’s a poor defensive effort.

I don’t normally go out of my way to say it, but this is a flat out wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong take that is just trying to justify the fact our goaltending is crap. Ik you won’t agree anglesmith, but goaltending is the single biggest sinker for our team. We have an incredible defence, saying otherwise is using subjective feel.

I’ll just say this, @Bleedred has watched every single ga for every team and sees what happens, and he’s not seeing this super duper breakdowns that apply only to Calgary either.
Goalie had almost no chance on the 4th goal?

Okay we just agree to disagree. If the guy’s ass isn’t literally at the goal line that goal probably doesn’t happen.

These “super duper” dangerous chances I just don’t see, and none of the stats see it either. Just seems like an after the fact justification for markstrom being horrible.
We get it, you hate Markstrom and you think 95% of our team's problems come from him. Nobody here is arguing with you that Marky is good or even average this year.

But to call other people out for confirmation bias when all you see is everything being Markstrom's fault is hilariously hypocritical lol. Like man we all get it, Marky has been garbage. But if you are satisfied outchancing the lowly Flyers 10-9 in terms of high danger corsi for then idk what to tell u. Every game we dominate the shots for battle, our expected goals are higher, but ultimately we give up nearly as many high danger chances or scoring chances as we create. Obviously you want your goalie to win the battle, and Marky is definitely at fault to an extent, but putting up around 50% scoring chances differential against a team led by Konecny, Wade Allison, and Kevin Hayes.... Idk how you can call that 'i don't see these super duper breakdowns lol' - that is the definition of comfirmation bias... Our goalie is probably the biggest sinker, yes. Our shaky D and knack for giving up easy tap-in's is also at fault, as is our atrocious PP and bad luck. All those factors together are contributing to our garbage season.

But if you want to only blame Marky and refuse to admit the shortcomings in other areas of the game then don't call other people out for 'wrong takes' when you're the one who is being incredibly biased. And when you only cite xGA as your justification for why our D is good and don't look at scoring chances differential or straight up just watching how terrible the D was on goals 1, 3, and 4, then idk. And it's not a one game thing, this is a common theme all year.

Reactions: Anglesmith

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We get it, you hate Markstrom and you think 95% of our team's problems come from him. Nobody here is arguing with you that Marky is good or even average this year.

But to call other people out for confirmation bias when all you see is everything being Markstrom's fault is hilariously hypocritical lol. Like man we all get it, Marky has been garbage. But if you are satisfied outchancing the lowly Flyers 10-9 in terms of high danger corsi for then idk what to tell u. Every game we dominate the shots for battle, our expected goals are higher, but ultimately we give up nearly as many high danger chances or scoring chances as we create. Obviously you want your goalie to win the battle, and Marky is definitely at fault to an extent, but putting up around 50% scoring chances differential against a team led by Konecny, Wade Allison, and Kevin Hayes.... Idk how you can call that 'i don't see these super duper breakdowns lol' - that is the definition of comfirmation bias... Our goalie is probably the biggest sinker, yes. Our shaky D and knack for giving up easy tap-in's is also at fault, as is our atrocious PP and bad luck. All those factors together are contributing to our garbage season.

But if you want to only blame Marky and refuse to admit the shortcomings in other areas of the game then don't call other people out for 'wrong takes' when you're the one who is being incredibly biased. And when you only cite xGA as your justification for why our D is good and don't look at scoring chances differential or straight up just watching how terrible the D was on goals 1, 3, and 4, then idk. And it's not a one game thing, this is a common theme all year.

Except the flames don’t give up nearly the same amount of high danger chances per game as the opposition. And even in this game the flames thoroughly outchanced the flyers in scoring chances.

According to hockey reference we’ve had 450 high danger chances for to 379 high danger chances against (average is 422).

That is not “nearly the same” per game, and that matches with other stats too. The defence had bad breakdowns? Guess what, it’s impossible to be perfect. Ideally goals 3 and 4 are saves for a really good goalie, and at least 1/2 for an average one.

But markstrom by all accounts isn’t that. I’ll have no qualms admitting it, I think markstrom is the single biggest issue for our team, but I’m not justifying that by “feel” either. This is a great defensive unit that’s being made to look garbage by awful tending.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Here's what I will say about oh some of those shots are impossible to save, it's impossible until you position yourself to save it. That 2-0 with kadri and huberdeau, huberdeau elevates and the goalie literally reads it perfectly and position he's himself to make the save, when has markstrom done that this season? Reading the play and positioning yourself is part of being a goaltender. If you put everything on the puck carrier then u better damn stop one or both of the konecny/DeAngelo shot. If you play the possible passes then you have a shot at stopping the Allison shot, (the 2nd goal he had no chance no matter that, it was bar down cross crease). Markstrom didn't do any of that, and if you watch him, most of the time he's already on he's knees at the goalline looking as small as possible.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Except the flames don’t give up nearly the same amount of high danger chances per game as the opposition. And even in this game the flames thoroughly outchanced the flyers in scoring chances.

According to hockey reference we’ve had 450 high danger chances for to 379 high danger chances against (average is 422).

That is not “nearly the same” per game, and that matches with other stats too. The defence had bad breakdowns? Guess what, it’s impossible to be perfect. Ideally goals 3 and 4 are saves for a really good goalie, and at least 1/2 for an average one.

But markstrom by all accounts isn’t that. I’ll have no qualms admitting it, I think markstrom is the single biggest issue for our team, but I’m not justifying that by “feel” either. This is a great defensive unit that’s being made to look garbage by awful tending.

Great our xGF% was almost 65%, doesn’t matter if we’re giving up 9 high danger chances and creating just 10. And this is against the worst offense in the league remember. Unacceptable regardless of goalie performance (which is also unacceptable).

Everyone is agreeing Marky is the single biggest issue, nobody is disputing that. But I’m definitely disputing that we’re a great defensive team that Marky is single-handedly ruining. Consider score adjustments and you’ll see how our HDCA and is average / middle of the pack. Our xGA numbers are great but when we completely break down on the few chances against we have it negates all that great ability. I think our team as a whole is solid defensively, but should be much better. We should not be giving up the quality chances we did yesterday, last week against Detroit, and before the break against Chicago, Columbus etc.

Marky sucks, but the D has been disappointing too. I’m just being realistic that simply replacing Marky with a league average goalie and we still are not good enough to be a real contender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad