HF Habs: Flames 1st Round Pick 2025

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
correct though I'm expecting the Flames to suck next year but we'll see. The one thing that I'm wondering about is what do the panthers do at the deadline, as far as I know they are allowed to trade their '25 1st round pick despite it being a conditional pick. If so then that would break this wide open and could make things get very interesting.
For some reason I thought they couldn't.

If they could, we have to go get it!

But I don't think Florida can trade it, because they traded it to Calgary, with the stipulation that it's lottery protected. So I think it's untradeable.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Now we're talking. Ultimately all Florida has to do is miss the playoffs and business starts booming next year.

I honestly don't need to squint that hard to see it happen either, with all their UFAs combined with the fragility of Barkov and Ekblad, they could miss next year. Add in the inconsistencies of Bobrovsky and we already have a little situation cooking.

That pick could be amazing, in fact it's likely to be quite a valuable pick in most scenarios.
I have to see it to believe it with Florida.

Montour's off year could seriously diminish his cap hit.
Reinhart already has a cap hit of 6.5M. Not sure he'll get that much more as a UFA. Even if he gets 9M, that's only 2.5M more.
Forsling should be up for a raise though.

But the cap is going up. The cap increase alone could cover Reinhart and Forsling raises. Then you trade someone to make room for Montour's.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
I see some talk about the flames pick next year, if its +/- top 10, we should get the panthers pick no ?

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
There’s a chance that Montreal takes Calgary’s pick this year if it’s 20-22 which it is right now because it’s likely if we don’t we end up with floridas pick next year which may be much higher than 22 and for a younger player that will take more time to develop

If that’s the case, we may have 2 early 20s picks this year in addition to our top 5-10 pick. That makes things more interesting if we use it to draft or trade

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There’s a chance that Montreal takes Calgary’s pick this year if it’s 20-22 which it is right now because it’s likely if we don’t we end up with floridas pick next year which may be much higher than 22 and for a younger player that will take more time to develop

If that’s the case, we may have 2 early 20s picks this year in addition to our top 5-10 pick. That makes things more interesting if we use it to draft or trade
How is Calgary's pick 20-22 right now? they're out of the playoffs. As of right now it's a top 16 pick. And they'd have to beat out Seattle, Nashville, St Louis, and Minnesota just to get into the playoffs and then also catch 3 of Detroit, Tampa, and LA in the regular season or win two rounds to get out of the 17, 18, or 19 draft spot.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
How is Calgary's pick 20-22 right now? they're out of the playoffs. As of right now it's a top 16 pick. And they'd have to beat out Seattle, Nashville, St Louis, and Minnesota just to get into the playoffs and then also catch 3 of Detroit, Tampa, and LA in the regular season or win two rounds to get out of the 17, 18, or 19 draft spot.
Your right. My bad I was just looking at the league standings.

So definetly not a great chance they land in that range but still a possibility. Will be interesting to see cause if they land in that range, the 2024 pick is an option.

Reactions: 26Mats

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I think it's our choice. When do we have to make it? On draft floor? Somebody may slide.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It wouldn't have happened since acquiring firsts was considered too hard for him. But imagine Bergevin as GM trying to read the trade conditions from this trade.

"This is too complicated, just give me a second round pick"

1708721489630.png

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Your right. My bad I was just looking at the league standings.

So definetly not a great chance they land in that range but still a possibility. Will be interesting to see cause if they land in that range, the 2024 pick is an option.
Also, if you look at league standings you have to read it backwards. If the blackhawks are the 32nd team they pick 1st not 32nd (assuming the lottery holds up). As the Flames are currently in 22nd place, they're the 11th worst team.

And actually if they were the 11th worst team next year and didn't win the lottery that would be perfect because we'd get their pick which would be between 11th and 13th and we wouldn't have to worry about Florida making the playoffs.

Reactions: Toene and SwiftyHab

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Also, if you look at league standings you have to read it backwards. If the blackhawks are the 32nd team they pick 1st not 32nd (assuming the lottery holds up). As the Flames are currently in 22nd place, they're the 11th worst team.

And actually if they were the 11th worst team next year and didn't win the lottery that would be perfect because we'd get their pick which would be between 11th and 13th and we wouldn't have to worry about Florida making the playoffs.
Super brain fart on my part. That makes a lot more sense. Waiting till next year is probably the only option that will materialize

Reactions: 26Mats

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
CGY guaranteed bottom 10 next year...They are gonna unload some key players at deadline.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
My head hurts , I can’t do the math any more.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Knowing our luck, Florida Panthers are going to be the Stanley cup champion in 2025....

Or go to the finals...

But that would be ok, as long as Calagary gets the 11th to 13th pick. This year, Calgary currently sit 11th worst in the league. It would be perfect if that's where they finish next year.

CGY guaranteed bottom 10 next year...They are gonna unload some key players at deadline.

They've been playing well lately. It is possible they unload players and improve in the offseason.

But perhaps knowing the conditions on the pick, they may want to ensure they finish bottom 10, rather than risk finishing 11th to 16th last, and losing a lottery pick.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's too bad that pick with those same conditions is not this year. It would be the absolute perfect scenario. We would get Calgary's 11th or 12th overall pick.

Imagine picking up a player like Tij Iginla at 11th....with their own pick. That would have been awesome.

Hughes walking up to the podium to make the pick:

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Flames will probably finish around that 10OA pick next season.

No way Hugues touches that for a trade before he knows.

What would be great is we out tank them at the last games to finish 10OA and get the 11OA from them 😍😍

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Holy crap the sooner we trade that pick to move up for a second top 10 or so in 2024 the happier I'll be.
Let someone else do the mental gymnastics.

The picture is becoming clear. It will either be the Flames 2025 or the Florida's.

If Flames pick is top 10, we will get Florida's late 1st. If the Flames pick isn't top 10 (probably 11 to 16), that's the one we'll get.

We have to hope the Flames don't bottom out next year and/or win the lottery. No way Florida misses the playoffs.

Reactions: Sagikev and Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad