HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
While true, we also don't know that their management won't re-group and decide to sell off some of those major pieces in the off-season. IMO they don't really seem to have much direction right now, so it could go either way.
The owner probably won't let the GM do a complete rebuild.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
The owner probably won't let the GM do a complete rebuild.
I agree with you based on their recent history, which is why I said “some” of the listed assets. I don’t think they will do a scorched earth rebuild, but i think it’s pretty clear (at least to me) that as a management team they haven’t picked a true direction yet either.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I think you guys might be a little hasty in saying Calgary will be bottom 10. They cleared a lot of money, Calgary has never really done a true rebuild, and they're still going to have a Weegar, Andersson, Kadri, Coleman, Sharangovich, Huberdeau, Backlund, etc. they're not a scorched earth roster and it's entirely possible they end up in the 83-87 point range.
Thing is their GM have to build a bottom 10 team to get a decent pick. Either they shoot for the playoffs, or rebuild with a top pick.

Reactions: cphabs

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
To my understanding

If Florida misses the playoffs next season meaning they have a lottery pick. That’s when things gets interesting.

I think Calgary will be one of the worst team next year so they have a top 10 pick.

If somehow Calgary gets any pick except 1st overall. We get that pick.

So Florida misses playoffs and gets a lottery pick is the key.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Can someone explain to me the complicated 1st round pick we'll be getting from CGY.

Now that one more year as passed is the CGY pick guaranteed for 2025 or can it still slip to 2026?

Also does CGY have any restrictions/caveats like protections if they finish in bottom 10, etc?

Thanks!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Can someone explain to me the complicated 1st round pick we'll be getting from CGY.

Now that one more year as passed is the CGY pick guaranteed for 2025 or can it still slip to 2026?

Also does CGY have any restrictions/caveats like protections if they finish in bottom 10, etc?

Thanks!

If CGY picks 1st overall and 2025 and do not have the 2025 FLA pick, MTL get the better of CGY/FLA 2026 1st.

Other scenarios have us get either the FLA or CGY 2025 pick.

Reactions: Holystik

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Thanks!
95% we are getting FLA pick next year so probably just a late 1st like this year unless CGY somehow doesn’t suck next year (they will).

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Thanks!

It's unlikely to slip to 2026. It's not really something to worry about. Chances are extremely high we're getting Florida's 2025 pick & not Calgary's.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I've given up long time ago trying to understand all the conditions surrounding this pick. Just get us someone moar bigger and meaner.
Com'n dude, it doesn't get any simpler than this:

1714469176407.jpeg

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Thanks!
We get either Florida or Calgary's pick, whichever is worse.

Florida's pick is lottery protected and will only transfer to Calgary if they make the playoffs, so the dream scenario is Florida misses the playoffs and we get Calgary's pick. Most likely Florida will make the playoffs, and we get their pick wherever it ends up.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Thing is their GM have to build a bottom 10 team to get a decent pick. Either they shoot for the playoffs, or rebuild with a top pick.
Right? Would be god damn abysmal for them to finish 9th-11th in the conference. Best case scenario is they start the year on fire then they slowly falters. Then they can sell assets but it might be too late for bottom 10

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

Florida's pick is lottery protected and will only transfer to Calgary if they make the playoffs, so the dream scenario is Florida misses the playoffs and we get Calgary's pick. Most likely Florida will make the playoffs, and we get their pick wherever it ends up.
We can always dream…If they lose Montour and Reinhart to free agency, it’s not the same team. Then if either Barkov or Tkachuk miss time to injuries, all bets are off.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The only way the Panthers fall down is they get several season ending injuries to key assets. Not probable but who knows how the 24/25 season will go.

Panthers do have a lot of management to do with expiring contracts this off season. I'm sure they try to extend Reinhart and that will cost them. Montour as well and then most of their cap space is spend. They may have depth issues next season.

I bet you they try to move Knight.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Does anybody else find it slightly amusing that we're going to be picking the 1st round pick from the second trade involving Monahan before the first trade involving him? I don't know.....maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All I know is we are getting a top 32 pick, maybe top 34 if Bettman decides to expand before then :D

I'd expect a pick from 18-25 range. Panthers should be a playoff team again but they will have a fair amount of roster turnover and depth issues after they try to extend both Reinhart and Montour who are two big pieces.

Look at their depth chart before they spend one dime of their $19M cap space. They got serious work to do this summer.

95uyf5G.png

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
We should be hoping for a nice long playoff for the Panthers again this year. A loss in the SCF would be perfect.

Let's have them as tired as possible with 2 short offseasons in a row going into next year. Compound that with some tough salary cap work and a few injuries and they just might have a tough season.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Right? Would be god damn abysmal for them to finish 9th-11th in the conference. Best case scenario is they start the year on fire then they slowly falters. Then they can sell assets but it might be too late for bottom 10
Honestly, it’s all part of the process of a rebuild. If they get into the playoff race and fall short for a season or two, that’s fine. We don’t want to end up like Ottawa where we’re taking steps backwards. That’s how you build a losing culture.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We should be hoping for a nice long playoff for the Panthers again this year. A loss in the SCF would be perfect.

Let's have them as tired as possible with 2 short offseasons in a row going into next year. Compound that with some tough salary cap work and a few injuries and they just might have a tough season.

Florida's killing our 1st 3 years in a row.

Last year, we almost had the 16th pick, it ended up being 31st.
This year, if the Panthers go to the conference finals, it makes the Jets pick 1 slot worse, looking like 25th instead of 24th.
Next year, they're likely to make our pick another 20's 1st instead of a lottery pick!

Reactions: rahad

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Just so I'm clear.....If Florida misses the playoffs that is considered a lottery pick. I always assumed that a lottery pick meant, they picked 1st to 3rd overall.

So.....if Florida misses the playoffs that pick gets pushed to 2026 for Calgary, meaning we will get Calgary's pick unless it is #1. There is a very real possibility it is top 10.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just so I'm clear.....If Florida misses the playoffs that is considered a lottery pick. I always assumed that a lottery pick meant, they picked 1st to 3rd overall.

So.....if Florida misses the playoffs that pick gets pushed to 2026 for Calgary, meaning we will get Calgary's pick unless it is #1. There is a very real possibility it is top 10.
My memory's rusty on this one, but this is how I remember it:

If Florida misses the playoffs in 2025 (which they won't) we get the better of Florida or Calgary's 2025 1st, unless it is 1st overall. If the 2025 1st is 1st overall, the pick gets pushed to 2026.

If the Florida makes the playoffs in 2025, AND Calgary's pick is not top 10, we get the better of Calgary and Florida's 1st. So we could get the 11th overall from Calgary. BUT, it seems Calgary will tank instead of losing such a good pick. So the likeliest scenario is Florida makes the playoffs, Calgary finishes bottom 10, and we get Florida's 20 something, or 30 something, pick in 2025.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

If Calgary has a top 5 and Florida miss at 15, Calgary will try to push a trade for Florida's pick. It could be easy, since Florida has no interest in Habs getting better.

Edit: Yeah I know, that's next level.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
While true, we also don't know that their management won't re-group and decide to sell off some of those major pieces in the off-season. IMO they don't really seem to have much direction right now, so it could go either way.
Their main pieces are almost unsellable. Nobody will take Hubeardeau's contract. Even Kadri is a hard sell becasue of the number of years remaining. I agree with JoelWarloard that people are too quick to say Calgary will tank. It's 100% possible that ownership will ask the GM to try to fight for a playoffs spot because of the amount of money invested in Huberdeau. I don't think they'll try to win until the end of his contract but they could try one last push easily.

I could see them trying a semi retool for 2 years while waiting for the picks and young players they acquired this year to mature and while waiting for their big contracts to have less term remaining. They have some good pieces under contract if they can attract 1 or 2 middling UFAs on defense i could see them finishing just outside the top 10.

They'll sell Magiapane and Kuzmenko at the deadline next season for sure but the other players all have term and are not cheap at all. There's better options around for a winning team to pursue imo.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad