HF Habs: Flames 1st Round Pick 2025

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The picture is becoming clear. It will either be the Flames 2025 or the Florida's.

If Flames pick is top 10, we will get Florida's late 1st. If the Flames pick isn't top 10 (probably 11 to 16), that's the one we'll get.

We have to hope the Flames don't bottom out next year and/or win the lottery. No way Florida misses the playoffs.
I know but I really really really want Tij Iginla and we won't be getting him unless we get creative. :laugh:
I'll try not to bring it up too many times before the draft but I'm not making any promises.

• Haha
Reactions: jaffy27 and Habs13

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know but I really really really want Tij Iginla and we won't be getting him unless we get creative. :laugh:
I'll try not to bring it up too many times before the draft but I'm not making any promises.

Oh to get Tij Iginla, please bring it up as many times as you want.

I think the absolute best we can hope for is for the Jets pick to be 22nd to 24th. And a TON has to go right for that to happen. Basically, Jets can't win the division and then two of the Preds, Oilers, and Knights have to make it to the conference finals in the west just to get to 24. Then to get to 22, two of the Leafs, Tampa, Wings, and the Flyers have to get to the conference finals.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This year would have been the best though....Imagine walking out of the first round with

Cayden Lindstrom, Tij Iginla and Beckett Sennecke.

You'd fill up your forwards prospects in one shot.
That is the point I was trying to make to the Celebrini fan.
Kent Hughes will be all in trying to pull off something like this it's exactly who he is.
If we are to maximize our draft capital and prospect pool (defense) this would be a prime target.

Reactions: jaffy27 and FloJack

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
If the Flames got hot (no pun intended) down the stretch and finished 20th overall would you use their pick this year or hope for a better pick next year (remember if CGY is top 10 we get FLR's pick - which could be #28 if their performance is mirrored next season)

skidcells

May 11, 2023
If the Flames got hot (no pun intended) down the stretch and finished 20th overall would you use their pick this year or hope for a better pick next year (remember if CGY is top 10 we get FLR's pick - which could be #28 if their performance is mirrored next season)
Roll over to next year for sure

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I agree. I love his game. He's someone I hope we can get somehow. Maybe Gorton can reproduce that Stepan for 7th pick magic from 2017. Only dont draft an Lias Andersson please. Get Iginla.

Reactions: Rapala

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I agree. I love his game. He's someone I hope we can get somehow. Maybe Gorton can reproduce that Stepan for 7th pick magic from 2017. Only dont draft an Lias Andersson please. Get Iginla.
Whats the dig on Lias? Why does he produce seemingly well in the AHL, has good size, fairly good pedigree... i dont really understand his situation.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Whats the dig on Lias? Why does he produce seemingly well in the AHL, has good size, fairly good pedigree... i dont really understand his situation.

If you watch him play, there's something missing. Some guys can light up the A, but it doesn't translate. I remember Charles Hudon.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If you watch him play, there's something missing. Some guys can light up the A, but it doesn't translate. I remember Charles Hudon.
fair enough, but Charles hudon was a 5th or 7th rounder... Lias was a top 10 pick rnd 1... ive never seen a top 10 pick do fairly well in the AHL (STILL YOUNG) and be bounced around like chopped liver...

Reactions: 26Mats

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Ok, am I understanding this correctly for 2024?

Calgary is currently picking 8th. Let’s just say Florida is picking 28.

Since Florida’s pick is NOT top-10, it goes to Philly. Their 2025 pick (lottery protected) goes to Calgary.

So for the purposes of 2024, we can pick Florida’s pick(not likely) since Calgary isn’t finishing to pick 20-32?

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Ok, am I understanding this correctly for 2024?

Calgary is currently picking 8th. Let’s just say Florida is picking 28.

Since Florida’s pick is NOT top-10, it goes to Philly. Their 2025 pick (lottery protected) goes to Calgary.

So for the purposes of 2024, we can pick Florida’s pick(not likely) since Calgary isn’t finishing to pick 20-32?

The last time this was discussed it was widely thought 'lottery protected' means any pick that is involved in the lottery. Every pick not in the playoffs in theory can still win the lottery but they are limited to moving up only 10 spots.

Therefore, a lottery protected pick basically means if Florida misses the playoffs their pick doesn't transfer to Calgary. Obviously it's unlikely but I feel like there are scenarios where Florida misses the playoffs next year with all their FAs. We can all dream anyways.

Reactions: GrandBison

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The last time this was discussed it was widely thought 'lottery protected' means any pick that is involved in the lottery. Every pick not in the playoffs in theory can still win the lottery but they are limited to moving up only 10 spots.

Therefore, a lottery protected pick basically means if Florida misses the playoffs their pick doesn't transfer to Calgary. Obviously it's unlikely but I feel like there are scenarios where Florida misses the playoffs next year with all their FAs. We can all dream anyways.
Florida will lose all of their games against a surging Habs team next year :)

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

If the Panthers are in the playoffs, it's almost sure we get their pick. Flames are a bottom 10 team and it won't change next year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Florida could miss the playoff If Tkachuk is injure and Sam Reinhart leave the club. They also need to sign multiple forward.
Florida GM already said publicly it's a slam dunk that Reinhart is staying.

Only good core piece they may lose is Montour. But with the cap going up not sure they'll even need to lose him.

But yes, only way I see Florida missing the playoffs is if they have major injuries to Barkov and/or Tkachuk. Barring that, I see them making the playoffs easily.

Reactions: rahad

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think you guys might be a little hasty in saying Calgary will be bottom 10. They cleared a lot of money, Calgary has never really done a true rebuild, and they're still going to have a Weegar, Andersson, Kadri, Coleman, Sharangovich, Huberdeau, Backlund, etc. they're not a scorched earth roster and it's entirely possible they end up in the 83-87 point range.

Reactions: Canadiens98

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I think you guys might be a little hasty in saying Calgary will be bottom 10. They cleared a lot of money, Calgary has never really done a true rebuild, and they're still going to have a Weegar, Andersson, Kadri, Coleman, Sharangovich, Huberdeau, Backlund, etc. they're not a scorched earth roster and it's entirely possible they end up in the 83-87 point range.
While true, we also don't know that their management won't re-group and decide to sell off some of those major pieces in the off-season. IMO they don't really seem to have much direction right now, so it could go either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00