Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Vincent Trocheck extension (6 years $4.75M AAV)

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Unless you are a good 2 way player I am looking for 50 in a bad year for that kind of money on a RFA deal

Please find us the list of Players with less than 5M AAV, having no less than 50points in the last two years getting signed to 6year deals as RFA's.

If they are abundant, we can then discuss whether the cap rising can lead to a wrong estimate on "true value". But what I believe happens here is that you compare this to short bridge deals not buying any UFA years.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Production is all that matters for him lmao. We arent talking about a two way forward or defenceman.

We're not duh.

If he signed it last year would you also be like "youve never seen him play"?

He wouldn't have gotten this contract last yeah, duh. It'd be a 2 year 2M. Not sure how that has anything to do with this. I'm sure his progression is good news

Im just wondering who has been gifted a 6 year contract after one good season as an RFA.

This is precisely why this deal is a steal. It's 6 years (takes away 2 UFA years) instead of the stupid 2 year bridge contract.

Gallagher signed 6 years 3.75M after 2 40 point seasons and is largely regarded as MTL's best contract.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
We're not duh.

He wouldn't have gotten this contract last yeah, duh. It'd be a 2 year 2M. Not sure how that has anything to do with this. I'm sure his progression is good news

This is precisely why this deal is a steal. It's 6 years (takes away 2 UFA years) instead of the stupid 2 year bridge contract.

Gallagher signed 6 years 3.75M after 2 40 point seasons and is largely regarded as MTL's best contract.

???

What you posted is all redundant and is common sense too. Im just saying how is this high way robbery after 1 year where hes deserved it.

Some comparables recently

Jenner
Hertl
Kreider
Schwartz

Im just saying this isnt the norm lmao.

John freaking Tavares got 5.5 per year on a 6 year contract after coming off a ppg season as an RFA. Not the best example but i just dont see "highway robbery'.

Point: Good contract, not highway robbery.

Come back to me if you think differently.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
How is this highway robbery? Hes had one season where hes earned this contract.

Are we expecting him to be a 60 point annual player during the duration of this contract?

60-point players make a lot more than $4.75

John freaking Tavares got 5.5 per year on a 6 year contract after coming off a ppg season as an RFA. Not the best example but i just dont see "highway robbery'.

Well, that's grand larceny. If that's the standard for value, no contracts will measure up.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Thats my point... then it would be categorized as highway robbery. LOL what is even going on here.

Can no one understand my point?

John Tavares 5.5mil / 6 years after 81 point season signed as RFA. - High way Robbery

Jamie Benn 5.25 mil coming off of two seasons at 65+ point pace as RFA- High way robbery.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Well, that's grand larceny. If that's the standard for value, no contracts will measure up.

Im not saying thats the standard for contracts... thats why John Tavares contract is highway robbery. Its not the norm , it is a STEAL.

That isnt to say this is a good deal for Trocheck. He can still meet his standards for his contract. I just dont think it will be high way robbery.

My mind is being fried trying to explain this tbh.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Im not saying thats the standard for contracts... thats why John Tavares contract is highway robbery. Its not the norm , it is a STEAL.

That isnt to say this is a good deal for Trocheck. He can still meet his standards for his contract. I just dont think it will be high way robbery.

My mind is being fried trying to explain this tbh.

great, another debate on the use of terms.

I think you know what the poster meant when he said highway robbery, I'm sure he'll retract his statement if it's only to be used for Jamie Benn or John Tavares

and as for your other comparables
Jenner
Hertl
Kreider

how many UFA years? Bridge? Didn't even have the same responsibility? I think those are the opposite of comparables

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
great, another debate on the use of terms.

I think you know what the poster meant when he said highway robbery, I'm sure he'll retract his statement if it's only to be used for Jamie Benn or John Tavares

and as for your other comparables
Jenner
Hertl
Kreider

how many UFA years? Bridge? Didn't even have the same responsibility? I think those are the opposite of comparables

Then its just a misunderstanding if its a debate on use of terms. I have my definition of the term they have theirs.

Responsibility ?

Jayden Schwartz came off a 65 point season.

What about Max Pacioretty? 65 points in 79 and 39 points in 44.

6 years at 4.5million dollars.

So if Kreider, Hertl and Jenner got the same contracts it will be deemed as high way robbery? Why dont every team sign them to these long term deals then? Its a steal.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
No need to explain. Everyone gets your point. We just think you are wrong.

Yeah and thats perfectly fine. But why is everyone trying to question my point. Im quoting someone who thinks i believe that if trocheck doesnt get 60 points then he wont live up to the contract. Clearly means he doesnt understand my point.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
What an incredible deal.

****, as well as the Leafs are doing I can't help but look at Tampa, Florida, and Buffalo's elite young cores in the same division. Gonna be a dog fight.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How is this highway robbery? Hes had one season where hes earned this contract.

Are we expecting him to be a 60 point annual player during the duration of this contract?

I mean its a possibility but not guaranteed.

I agree its not "highway robbery" also... but it will most likely be highway robbery in a couple years... sure its awesome but IMO this is exactly the amount I assumed he would get. I figured anywhere in the 4's it would be.

Teams always take these chances though with players after a short period... Klingberg got his 7 year deal(4 mill ish per) after a season, Klefbom got a giant deal(4 mill ish per) already after minimal games and many many more.

Teams have to take these chances cause if they only sign them to 2 years and they hit huge totals, then the contract they sign after those 2 years will be insane. Like imagine if Klingberg only signed a 2 year bridge deal... after the season he had last year and most likely again next season, he would be definitely looking for a 8 year 7-8 mill atleast per year contract next offseason... but Stars took the chance and signed him to a giant deal after 65 games.

Great deal, im happy with the numbers, and Florida is looking unreal for many years

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It's good to see GMs are no longer pushing for the bridge deal on every RFA. A bridge deal can be highly risky when you have a player like Trochek who could be worth 6mm+ AAV once that bridge deal expires. Going long-term on the second contract is a great way to lock in a price on players that you expect to continue improving. It's the safer move-- I always laughed at people who suggest the bridge deal is the more conservative play. More often than not, it's actually riskier. Just look at Subban for exhibit A.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I agree its not "highway robbery" also... but it will most likely be highway robbery in a couple years... sure its awesome but IMO this is exactly the amount I assumed he would get. I figured anywhere in the 4's it would be.

Teams always take these chances though with players after a short period... Klingberg got his 7 year deal after a season, Klefbom got a giant deal already after minimal games and many many more.

Teams have to take these chances cause if they only sign them to 2 years and they hit huge totals, then the contract they sign after those 2 years will be insane. Like imagine if Klingberg only signed a 2 year bridge deal... after the season he had last year and most likely again next season, he would be definitely looking for a 7 year 7-8 mill atleast per year contract... but Stars took the chance and signed him to a giant deal after 65 games.

I get that the teams have to take the deal. I think Klingberg is different, he came in his first season and played top pairing minutes.

This debate is just semantics tbh. Highway robbery getting thrown out there like ainec and the exaggeration of >>>>>>>>>. Same thing.

I also do agree this is a good contract for Trocheck.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's good to see GMs are no longer pushing for the bridge deal on every RFA. A bridge deal can be highly risky when you have a player like Trochek who could be worth 6mm+ AAV once that bridge deal expires. Going long-term on the second contract is a great way to lock in a price on players that you expect to continue improving. It's the safer move-- I always laughed at people who suggest the bridge deal is the more conservative play. More often than not, it's actually riskier. Just look at Subban for exhibit A.

ya its a tough call for a player to make too... do they take the risk and sign a 2 year 6 mill? and hope they keep improving and don't get hurt for the potential of signing a huge contract after that? OR do they take the money/length when they can... I know what teams would prefer but as a player/agent, it would be tough to make a decision what to push for

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I've never felt this in the off season. NEVER.

Yesteryears of:

Signing Tanguay to big money was just a pipe dream
Being excited for aged vets in Roberts and Nieuwendyk
Oh Kuba... That will help us

And so forth.

You get the point.

What a time to be alive ! Everything is happening!!

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Then its just a misunderstanding if its a debate on use of terms. I have my definition of the term they have theirs.

Responsibility ?

Jayden Schwartz came off a 65 point season.

What about Max Pacioretty? 65 points in 79 and 39 points in 44.

6 years at 4.5million dollars.

So if Kreider, Hertl and Jenner got the same contracts it will be deemed as high way robbery? Why dont every team sign them to these long term deals then? Its a steal.

I don't even know what your point is anymore. Especially with this post. Schwartz and MaxPac have great deals ???. And you never included them until now.

Some players would rather sign bridge than long-term deals if they feel they can get large contracts after the bridge, and they do. The longterm deal that these RFAs sign more likely than not end up to be steals. The same cannot be said for 2 year bridge.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Thats my point... then it would be categorized as highway robbery. LOL what is even going on here.

Can no one understand my point?

John Tavares 5.5mil / 6 years after 81 point season signed as RFA. - High way Robbery

Jamie Benn 5.25 mil coming off of two seasons at 65+ point pace as RFA- High way robbery.

Yeah because player contracts and salaries don't increase over the years. Tell Tavares to sign that contract in 2016 and see if he still does it. Tavares gets 7.5 minimum if he was doing his contract today

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The beach sucks, so does the sun

ya its terrible lol... I hate when I go down to Florida and have to be there for a few weeks at a time

FLA, CALI and AZ are 3 spots ive been to many times that Id drop everything to move there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad