Proposal: FLA-TOR July 2nd

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
It's clear that you haven't read in detail what I've posted, or shown the abiltiy do math, or just choose not to. I've laid the numbers out in front of you pretty clearly, yet you choose to ignore them. It's pretty clear that Kerfoot, Barrie, Ceci, AJ are gone from the roster... it just takes reading, or the ability to choose to read. You keep repeating the same thing, while ignoring salaries and the cap, and what I've posted.

Schultz you claim is "soild all round"... sic.. I mean LOL... But even if you meant solid, he wasn't... he's been terrible for the last two years. You claim he can play the PK... he's never played the PK for the Penguins. He has the sixth most ES time for the Penguins, and was their most sheltered D man, in terms of zone starts. You claim I have no idea how this works, and then you talk about a player, clearly showing you know nothing about him. He's made $5.5 mil the last contract, and you've not indicated what you want to pay this guy... which is how it works... Based on your team, you are already $9 million over the cap, and you want to sign Schultz too... I mean this stuff is laughable.

So maybe address the actual math, the actual roster, the actual moves indicated, or if it's beyond your depth, we will just both move on. Go back to the roster I've posted, challenge it, and tell me how it gets under the cap.
Pal, Shultz has played on the PK for the pens. He was their # 1 d man when letang was down. He lead their D in scoring on season. He earned a big raise for a reason...he would be a great pick up for the leafs. Easily be their best PP guy as well.
Not sure if your slow or what.... again and again... you dont need to plug every hole st the same time. There is ample room to sign alex to 9 to 10 mill... once he is signed..you go to work..your not gonna trade assets before you have the piece you want . Again you would buy the snow tires before the car.... other kap and AJ could fetch a NHL d man with similar salary... that's a wash... or trade one for assets and sign via free agent...brodie and or Shultz would be good fits and leafs wanted brodie before. ... lots of salary already shed ( see above ). The leafs dont have to sign all their free agents just cause well they were leaf free agents..get real ... you certainly dont win by trading your second best forward.. thats idiotic..once dust settles you plug bottom 6 holes which is much easier ..dubas likes his forward depth but he gonna have to lose some to gain some d help...that's business .... schools out move along

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Again, just to be clear, since your comprehension of this seems to be lacking in this discussion, Leafs need a few solid defenecmen to round out their d corp NOT one top pairing d that MAY fix one area but does little to improve the rest. Trading Kapanen and Johnsson for those d pieces increases the value of the depth defencemen we can get and strengthens the areas of the d corp that need it. It's not rocket science, plenty of reporters have echoed the same damn thing.

Ugh...can't believe I'm responding to this post. Anyway, please read above. Thanks pal :thumbu:

So who are you targeting by offering AJ or KK?
As a Panther fan, I'm fine if Dubas keeps trying to patch a gaping hole on the right side with depth defensemen but if you truly want to take the next step and get out of the 1st round, you shouldn't be afraid to aim a little higher.

Reactions: Fogelhund

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Again, just to be clear, since your comprehension of this seems to be lacking in this discussion, Leafs need a few solid defenecmen to round out their d corp NOT one top pairing d that MAY fix one area but does little to improve the rest. Trading Kapanen and Johnsson for those d pieces increases the value of the depth defencemen we can get and strengthens the areas of the d corp that need it. It's not rocket science, plenty of reporters have echoed the same damn thing.

Ugh...can't believe I'm responding to this post. Anyway, please read above. Thanks pal :thumbu:

Ah yes because your patch work defense has worked as well for you guys in the last! :laugh:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As a Panther fan, I'm fine if Dubas keeps trying to patch a gaping hole on the right side with depth defensemen but if you truly want to take the next step and get out of the 1st round, you shouldn't be afraid to aim a little higher.
Not targeting any one particular D man. More like a right shot 4/5 defensive guy age 23 to 29....a team with d depth and needs forward help would be willing. There are teams like Edmonton and Carolina who have depth on d and need forward help... of course Larsson is on the radar even if he doesnt meet all the requirements. This moves comes after attempting to sign alex P. Brodie a good fit as well. Manson to a much lesser extent. There are some options out there . Moving one of those forwards isnt going to fix the issue but gives you a decent PC. The fix may come via free agency.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pal, Shultz has played on the PK for the pens. He was their # 1 d man when letang was down. He lead their D in scoring on season. He earned a big raise for a reason...he would be a great pick up for the leafs. Easily be their best PP guy as well.
Not sure if your slow or what.... again and again... you dont need to plug every hole st the same time. There is ample room to sign alex to 9 to 10 mill... once he is signed..you go to work..your not gonna trade assets before you have the piece you want . Again you would buy the snow tires before the car.... other kap and AJ could fetch a NHL d man with similar salary... that's a wash... or trade one for assets and sign via free agent...brodie and or Shultz would be good fits and leafs wanted brodie before. ... lots of salary already shed ( see above ). The leafs dont have to sign all their free agents just cause well they were leaf free agents..get real ... you certainly dont win by trading your second best forward.. thats idiotic..once dust settles you plug bottom 6 holes which is much easier ..dubas likes his forward depth but he gonna have to lose some to gain some d help...that's business .... schools out move along

So you are talking about 2015/16... the year he earned his raise? He was on the ice for 5:22 during a PK... for the season... FIVE MINUTES IN A SEASON. Same every season since. He's not used on the PK.... and sorry. Barrie has more points the last two season on the PP, and Rielly does as well, than Schultz. Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about regarding this player.

As far as Alex P, or any other D man, you certainly have no idea about anything to do with math or the salary cap. The premise that you can plug in a 10 million (In Alex P) player into this lineup, without the subtraction of further Cap, is delusional, and ignorant of basic math. It's remarkable that you can be shown the numbers, and somehow ignore the financial realities, as if it were fake news. I get people who lack the ability to understand simple mathematical concepts, but when they are laid out in front of you, and somehow you choose to ignore them, or lack the acumen to understand them, it's time to step aside and let those that do talk about the subject.

By the way... once again, here is the roster, and the nearly $9 million over the cap, with Alex P in it... so how are you going to fix that 9 million dollar issue? WHich of these players are you replacing, with league minimum contracts?

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$90,208,533$0$0-$8,708,533
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Delete Signed PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Clifford, Kyle
$1,600,000
LW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$750,000
C
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Korshkov, Yegor
$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
Barabanov, Alexander
$925,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$10,000,000
D
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marincin, Martin
$700,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Dermott, Travis
$3,000,000
D
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

There is no question, that Dubas needs to land someone, who can at least tread water playing beside Rielly, and make up for his defensive shortcomings. He doesn't need to be a natural #2, even Hainsey made Rielly better... just a guy who can play on that pairing. More depth, isn't the answer... we absolutely need THAT guy.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ah yes because your patch work defense has worked as well for you guys in the last! :laugh:
I prefer that over that crappy Barrie trade who at the time was regarded as every bit a top pairing dman as Ekblad. What happened their bud.
Oh right Leads lost Kadri for nothing.

But hey let’s learn from past mistakes and try something similar with a 90 point winger this time :dunce:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Aiming higher is fine. Sacrificing Marner to do so is not. And like I said the Defense the leafs would have even with Ekblad added in isn’t my opinion of aiming high. It’s more like remaining a bubble team defensively and sacrificing our elite offence to do so.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I prefer that over that crappy Barrie trade who at the time was regarded as every bit a top pairing dman as Ekblad. What happened their bud.
Oh right Leads lost Kadri for nothing.

But hey let’s learn from past mistakes and try something similar with a 90 point winger this time :dunce:
Ah yes because trading for a one year rental whos 28 and known to have major warts in his game and an offense only D (exactly what you didn’t need) is the same as trading for a 24 year old signed for the next 5 years and is a great all around D.

But keep signing those bottom pairing D and relying on offense only! One less team to worry about.

You keep talking about now trading Marner for Ekblad makes you a bubble team but have yet to explain how trading Johnson for a #5D somehow helps your pathetic defense.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Aiming higher is fine. Sacrificing Marner to do so is not. And like I said the Defense the leafs would have even with Ekblad added in isn’t my opinion of aiming high. It’s more like remaining a bubble team defensively and sacrificing our elite offence to do so.

I can understand the hesitation to move Marner, that would be similar to FLA moving Huberdeau.
Proposed an idea of moving Rielly for Parayko in the "If Nylander on the market thread".
Only because Muzzin was re-signed creating some short term cap issues and the assumption Sandin becomes a top 2/4 D in a couple years.
I think you can re-sign Parayko cheaper than Rielly because of point production but can also understand not wanting to move Rielly as well.

Ekblad would be your best defensive defenseman for the foreseeable future and has 5 years left at a decent caphit of $7.5 million but he simply isn't available.
Nylander would be the most valued piece on offense you could move to bring in a #3D or better, I don't think Kapanen+ or Johnsson+ will bring in that big of an impact D but that's just my 2 cents.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So you are talking about 2015/16... the year he earned his raise? He was on the ice for 5:22 during a PK... for the season... FIVE MINUTES IN A SEASON. Same every season since. He's not used on the PK.... and sorry. Barrie has more points the last two season on the PP, and Rielly does as well, than Schultz. Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about regarding this player.

As far as Alex P, or any other D man, you certainly have no idea about anything to do with math or the salary cap. The premise that you can plug in a 10 million (In Alex P) player into this lineup, without the subtraction of further Cap, is delusional, and ignorant of basic math. It's remarkable that you can be shown the numbers, and somehow ignore the financial realities, as if it were fake news. I get people who lack the ability to understand simple mathematical concepts, but when they are laid out in front of you, and somehow you choose to ignore them, or lack the acumen to understand them, it's time to step aside and let those that do talk about the subject.

By the way... once again, here is the roster, and the nearly $9 million over the cap, with Alex P in it... so how are you going to fix that 9 million dollar issue? WHich of these players are you replacing, with league minimum contracts?

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$90,208,533$0$0-$8,708,533
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Delete Signed PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Clifford, Kyle
$1,600,000
LW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$750,000
C
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Korshkov, Yegor
$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
Barabanov, Alexander
$925,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$10,000,000
D
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marincin, Martin
$700,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Dermott, Travis
$3,000,000
D
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wow sure glad your a keyboard wizard and have no real input of the teams would be in big trouble.....obviously you have zero idea how to balance the books ...you were problem one of the ones who said Toronto could not sign Tavares....again for the forth time...sign your key players including alex p if possible...plug and play from there ... teams like Pittsburgh have done this and have been super successful. Stop worrying about cap until alex is signed buddy...once your best d man is under contract then you start playing the game. They have tons of movable assets. This isnt hard ..expect for you ....now trying to convince alex to come might be more difficult. Shultz and is a solid free agent pickup. Better than demott holl etc

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Wow sure glad your a keyboard wizard and have no real input of the teams would be in big trouble.....obviously you have zero idea how to balance the books ...you were problem one of the ones who said Toronto could not sign Tavares....again for the forth time...sign your key players including alex p if possible...plug and play from there ... teams like Pittsburgh have done this and have been super successful. Stop worrying about cap until alex is signed buddy...once your best d man is under contract then you start playing the game. They have tons of movable assets. This isnt hard ..expect for you ....now trying to convince alex to come might be more difficult. Shultz and is a solid free agent pickup. Better than demott holl etc

If you did sign AP for say 10 million, that would have 50 million dollars tied into 5 players (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander). That leaves you around 31 million to fill out the remaining roster. How do you not see the issue with that?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If you did sign AP for say 10 million, that would have 50 million dollars tied into 5 players (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander). That leaves you around 31 million to fill out the remaining roster. How do you not see the issue with that?
I never said my roster included nylnader ....he would be the most obvious choice to turn over for D help and cap room... 10 mil would be worst case... hard to say exactly but you would have to think Alex would fetch over 9 mil

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I never said my roster included nylnader ....he would be the most obvious choice to turn over for D help and cap room... 10 mil would be worst case... hard to say exactly but you would have to think Alex would fetch over 9 mil

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016

Say you trade Nylander, if you’re taking salary back that doesn’t solve the issue. You’d have to trade him for futures to even gain enough cap space for it to work.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Say you trade Nylander, if you’re taking salary back that doesn’t solve the issue. You’d have to trade him for futures to even gain enough cap space for it to work.
If it meant landing a top 2 RHD then yes that's what would need to happen. If AP agreed to sign in Toronto for 9 mil a year and they needed room ...nylnader going for a 1rst plus ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad