Proposal: FLA-TOR July 2nd

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
How does Marner or Nylander help us by losing our best all around defenseman? It makes no sense for FLA at all.

IF Ekblad was ever traded, do you think Tallon would trade him to a divisional team? Again it makes no sense. Find another RD/trading partner.
I didn't necessarily say either would help the cats..b.. thats not the point. Although marner would be top 2 forward there. ...point is nylander is more comparable value wise. If I was cats GM I'd jump at marner ..nylnader requires more thought

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I would be very happy if the Montreal Canadiens acquired Matheson.

Ya makes some sense for the hometown guy to back home but if Matheson is panicking now under the minimal pressure in FLA, magnify that x 10 if he goes to MON.

Can't figure it out, guy has some stellar tools but just can't be consistent enough for us.
FLA was shopping him at deadline but have no idea what his value would be.
We would have to take some major salary back to make it work.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I didn't necessarily say either would help the cats..b.. thats not the point. Although marner would be top 2 forward there. ...point is nylander is more comparable value wise. If I was cats GM I'd jump at marner ..nylnader requires more thought

I disagree.
Nylander is a solid player but he doesn't move the needle for me.
Hopefully FLA just re-sign a similar producer to Nylander in Hoffman.
We have a Marner like player with Huberdeau.

Marner is closer in value to Ekblad imo and still would rather have Ekblad, as top pairing RD are very hard to acquire. To each their own.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ya makes some sense for the hometown guy to back home but if Matheson is panicking now under the minimal pressure in FLA, magnify that x 10 if he goes to MON.

Can't figure it out, guy has some stellar tools but just can't be consistent enough for us.
FLA was shopping him at deadline but have no idea what his value would be.
We would have to take some major salary back to make it work.

Well I would be very happy if Montreal worked out a trade to bring him in.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Agreed. Marner isn't going anywhere very few players get marner straight up.

Ekblad would be one of those players. You save like $3M in cap space and top pairing RHD, especially young ones, are a HUGE demand across the NHL.

The Leafs obviously need to make a change and get an actual NHL level D. How do you expect to get that without trading any of your good players?

How many teams are looking to trade their top pairing D right now? You’ll have to add a premium to get a team to give one of them up. Florida would have the worst D in the league if this trade went down.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Hockey news out out a new poll today among NHL players...guess who wasnt voted #1 d man ??? Lol.....in fact jones wasnt even mentioned... hedman Carlson josi ......try again pal

What's your point? Did you actually think the Leafs would be able to trade Marner straight up for the top defensemen in the league?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What's your point? Did you actually think the Leafs would be able to trade Marner straight up for the top defensemen in the league?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Point is marner is more valuable than Jones!!! Leafs could fetch a top 10 d man for marner Easy point # 1. Easy point # 2 Jones is overrated . Now multiple sources show the same..... easy point # 3. The leafs have other trade chips to shore up the blueline instead of marner ...nylander kapanen etx will all be down the road before marner....
You got to give up the love affair with jones ..both tsn and now hockey news donr agree with you

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Hate to break it to you guys, but Ekblad is 10 times more valuable to the Panthers than Marner is to the Leafs. I haven't read through the entire thread, but I think it's pretty obvious that the Panthers can't afford to trade Ekblad.

Would the Leafs trade Rielly for Huberdeau? Doubt it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Point is marner is more valuable than Jones!!! Leafs could fetch a top 10 d man for marner Easy point # 1. Easy point # 2 Jones is overrated . Now multiple sources show the same..... easy point # 3. The leafs have other trade chips to shore up the blueline instead of marner ...nylander kapanen etx will all be down the road before marner....
You got to give up the love affair with jones ..both tsn and now hockey news donr agree with you

Because players didn’t vote him at the best D in the league means he’s overrated? What if every single player saw Jones as the #2 best D in the league? He would still have 0 votes in the poll so you really have no point here.

Als0 I’m curious what do you think Marner would fetch in a trade then if Jones isn’t even close?

Finally, who’s trading a top D-man for a 3rd liner in Kap? That’s how you expect to shore up one of the worst defense in the league?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t watch a ton of Panthers games, but my understanding is Ekblad is a top pairing defenceman, and as a bonus, he shoots right.

Maybe he’s not a really high-end top pair defender, but still able to fill the role effectively.

I still think Marner is the better player, but because top-pairing defenceman are so hard to find, I don’t think Florida makes this trade.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Because players didn’t vote him at the best D in the league means he’s overrated? What if every single player saw Jones as the #2 best D in the league? He would still have 0 votes in the poll so you really have no point here.

Als0 I’m curious what do you think Marner would fetch in a trade then if Jones isn’t even close?

Finally, who’s trading a top D-man for a 3rd liner in Kap? That’s how you expect to shore up one of the worst defense in the league?
Nobody voted jones in the top 3. In fact he didnt make the TSN list of 50 best players either . He didnt get enough ( if any ) votes to even get a mention.

Leafs would not trade marner of jones . End of story. They may trade nylander though.
Its extremely hard to predict what marner would fetch because teams dont trade 22 year old 90 point guys...every situation is different but he is the second best forward on the leafs. If he was the thrid forth or fifth it would be different. For the leafs they need D help. Marner would fetch a package of 2 really good D men or a top 4 guy with a package of pick and or prospect. A signed drew doughty comes to mind. Aaron Ekblad another . As far as kapanen goes no one said he would get a top 4 guy straight up. He would being back a good defensive piece though and this option would be explored before the idea of marner ..leta wake up here...

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good Ekblad proposal, because even if they wanted to trade him, they wouldn’t do it for a more expensive forward especially since their looking to lower their cap situation, and plus their d-core is still one of the weakest in the NHL with Ekblad. So to trade your best defenseman for a more expensive yet very talented winger just doesn’t make enough sense for Florida. They would have to get a good defender coming back or at least a really good prospect defender, ala if Colorado for example was really high on Ekblad maybe they move Bowen Byram, or Connor a Timmins along with a forward to sweeten the pot to make it make sense for Florida to trade their best defenseman, so they at least get someone to help fill in that massive hole on their d-core. (Not saying that it makes sense for Colorado to get Ekblad, just an example)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Leafs will let Barrie and Ceci walk and the go to free agency. I don't see any marner for Jones move.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So who plays defense for them next year?

It's easily the biggest weakness on the team and the plan is to do what, plug in two raw rookies on the blueline next year?
They are targeting alex P...via free agency

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

It's easily the biggest weakness on the team and the plan is to do what, plug in two raw rookies on the blueline next year?

with a potential flat cap many won’t want to sign long term. A short term contract in Toronto might be quite attractive to hometown kids. especially those who want to be close to family after a pandemic.

Toronto can pay where other teams will lose millions this year. UFA are options as are backloaded deals where broke teams can’t pay.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The only way a deal goes down between those 2 is on the small chance they allow compliance buyouts and the leafs take bob.

in the incredibly small chance this happens. Florida would be giving whatever the leafs asked for and get 40’million in return.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

You don't improve your D, by signing an offensively strong, but defensive black hole, to $5-6 mil plus contract in Barrie, or just a subpar D in Ceci, if you want to improve your D... at least the defensive side of the game.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You don't improve your D, by signing an offensively strong, but defensive black hole, to $5-6 mil plus contract in Barrie, or just a subpar D in Ceci, if you want to improve your D... at least the defensive side of the game.
read above both are gone after this season. Ceci was fine in a 5/6 role. Barrie be fine somewhere else

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
read above both are gone after this season. Ceci was fine in a 5/6 role. Barrie be fine somewhere else

Yes, I read your post, but wasn't responding to it. I was responding to the question about how Leafs can move on without them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad