Friedman: FLA salary shed. Who's available?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Calgary - Florida
Sean Monahan, Noah Hanifin & 1st/2nd
for
Aleksander Barkov
While I love Barkov - I'm not sure the difference between Monahan and him is a top 4 D (maybe potential for top 2?) and a 1st/2nd.

Monahan - despite flaws in his game - is still a 1C. He's just got some deficiencies - so he's not an elite tier 1C.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Don't matter how rich the owner is, they want to make money, not loose it. You can pretend that this don't matter all you want. Same with the Canes... you better bet they hated that the Habs signed that offer sheet and gave him all that money in July before any revenue from next year comes in yet. Go look at any contract they have signed... nobody has July bonus money. Their owner is not going to tell us that it was a problem for him... Thinking that he will admit it to the media is comical

14k of average attendance won't pay all your hockey operation bills and then imagine if you are the GM asking your owner to dig into his pockets? You think that conversation is easy? Especially for the Panthers who are tight against the cap
The Devils losing money doesnt necessarily mean the owners lose money

Idk how the Panthers situation works but in Jersey the owners bought the Devils along with Prudential Center. Therefore they make revenue on both. And trust me (or not and take a Google) Prudential is extremely well-off and usually ranks top-15 worldwide for highest grossing arenas.

I doubt ownership cares if the Devils lose a few mil a year vs the tens theyre making off concert/venue revenue. Hence we traded for a guy like PK Subban making 9mil per... you think any rebuilding team without good income could afford that nor want to?

I know its hard to find billionaires or groups of multi-millionaires but if people cant afford to run an organization with enough leg room for loss - then they shouldnt have bought in. Someone somewhere will buy it eventually and, if not, then itll be relocated.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
While I love Barkov - I'm not sure the difference between Monahan and him is a top 4 D (maybe potential for top 2?) and a 1st/2nd.

Monahan - despite flaws in his game - is still a 1C. He's just got some deficiencies - so he's not an elite tier 1C.
Hasnt Monahan been very underwhelming when away from Gaudreau?

The difference between him and Barkov is pretty massive IMO

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Devils losing money doesnt necessarily mean the owners lose money

Idk how the Panthers situation works but in Jersey the owners bought the Devils along with Prudential Center. Therefore they make revenue on both. And trust me (or not and take a Google) Prudential is extremely well-off and usually ranks top-15 worldwide for highest grossing arenas.

I doubt ownership cares if the Devils lose a few mil a year vs the tens theyre making off concert/venue revenue. Hence we traded for a guy like PK Subban making 9mil per... you think any rebuilding team without good income could afford that nor want to?

I know its hard to find billionaires or groups of multi-millionaires but if people cant afford to run an organization with enough leg room for loss - then they shouldnt have bought in. Someone somewhere will buy it eventually and, if not, then itll be relocated.

Disagree with your narrative of NHL owners don't care about digging into their pockets

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Disagree with your narrative of NHL owners don't care about digging into their pockets
When did I say that??

I said if an owner doesnt have the leg room to deal with it then they never should have bought the team in the first place. Nobody made them do it and they knew the risks.

Nobody in the world likes their pockets being dug into - not even Bill Gates lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When did I say that??

I said if an owner doesnt have the leg room to deal with it then they never should have bought the team in the first place. Nobody made them do it and they knew the risks.

Nobody in the world likes their pockets being dug into - not even Bill Gates lol

Your quote... "I doubt ownership cares if the Devils lose a few mil a year". Just cause he is making money in other areas, it don't mean the owner will not give the GM a hard time about it when they ask him to dig into his pockets. Especially when the GM sold him on bringing in both Subban and Simmonds and they expected more than 14k of attendance. $6M bonus money in July is another problem... money to be forked out well before next season's ticket sales start coming in

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Your quote... "I doubt ownership cares if the Devils lose a few mil a year". Just cause he is making money in other areas, it don't mean the owner will not give the GM a hard time about it when they ask him to dig into his pockets. Especially when the GM sold him on bringing in both Subban and Simmonds and they expected more than 14k of attendance. $6M bonus money in July is another problem... money to be forked out well before next season's ticket sales start coming in
Oh okay I see

Thats not another area though, theyre mutually inclusive. Ownership bought the team knowing they havent been too profitable when not contending and have been bottom-12 in attendance regularly for a decade now.

I dont think so, no, that ownership in Jersey is fretting over a few million loss for the DEVILS when PRUDENTIAL is covering that and exceeding it.

I get what youre saying, and yes ownership has the right to be upset if spending millions for no success, but I wouldnt combine the idea of paying millions for a Subban/Simmonds mistake with the idea of paying balanced salary across seasons to gain future success. Sure Id be willing to bet ownership is pissed they forked out 8-10 mil specifically in additions this year to place last! But I think they recognize what it can become, with such investment even if poor now, especially having ownership over the 76ers and them going from an absolute tank show to constantly sold out (Philly different market I know)

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
In scenarios like this I always think, what can you move that doesnt make you loose a deal?

Moving super elite talent, you usually get a bunch of magic beans or 1 less valuable piece and a few beans.

I wonder if a Stralman makes sense. He is still a solid 2nd pair RHD, reasonable (maybe a bit high) cap hit and they have some RHD young guys who might be looking to break in next year.

You can probably get a decent package for him of young or cheaper guy. Save 3 or 4 m and shore up a different area of weakness.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If that's true, it could be a blessing in disguise, shedding Yandle, Matheson, Stralman, Sceviour, and Bob would/could improve the team.
Shedding any of these guys will take a sweetner, but getting picks and prospects might be worth it to some rebuilding teams.

They’ll also have to retain salary on Yandle most likely to get rid of him.

minim demand for these guys w/w'out retaining

adds nec, some of them extensive

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
In no way, shape, or form does Florida trade Barkov at his cap hit unless it's a massive overpayment. Huberdeau and Ekblad are also very much off limits.

Trading Barkov for anything that isn't McDavid would be downright foolish for this franchise.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
This isn't as bad as it seems.
Looking at salaries for next year:

Barkov is gonna be making over 2m less
Acciari is gonna be making 500k less
Ekblad is gonna be making 3m less
Bob is gonna be making 500k more
So now they have to cut 5m.
Pysyk walks freeing up 3.5m
Boyle walks freeing 1m
Let Hoffman be overpaid by someone else freeing up 5.6m
Dump Yandle wherever freeing up another 5.75m
Now you have like 15m before hitting the budget.
Sign Dadonov at 7m (+3.4m)
Sign Haula at 3m (+250k)
Weegar needs a ~4m raise
Bring up Tippett (+800k)
Bring up Borg (+1m)
Now you have this roster with another 5m left to play with:
Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
xxxx - Haula - Tippett
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Connelly
xxxx - Acciari - Sceviour

Weegar - Ekblad
Stillman - Stralman
Matheson - Brown

Bob
Montembeault
This entire plan is contingent to something that you passed over very quickly, as if every team is gonna get down on their hands and knees, and beg for Yandle.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
In no way, shape, or form does Florida trade Barkov at his cap hit unless it's a massive overpayment. Huberdeau and Ekblad are also very much off limits.

Trading Barkov for anything that isn't McDavid would be downright foolish for this franchise.

I would agree with not trading Barkov. I am not sure how Florida feels about trading Huberdeau or Ekblad.

I don't see Florida having many takers for the contracts of Bobrovsky, Yandle, Stralman, or Matheson. It will be difficult for Florida to move out any significant salary by taking Huberdeau and Ekblad off the table as well (it likely will be difficult for Florida to reach a trade agreement that it likes with respec to those two players as well).

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I would agree with not trading Barkov. I am not sure how Florida feels about trading Huberdeau or Ekblad.

I don't see Florida having many takers for the contracts of Bobrovsky, Yandle, Stralman, or Matheson. It will be difficult for Florida to move out any significant salary by taking Huberdeau and Ekblad off the table as well (it likely will be difficult for Florida to reach a trade agreement that it likes with respec to those two players as well).

Matheson I think will be fine to locate a taker. Some team would take a 4.9M cap to bank on potential gain based on his positive traits. Yandle I think the same to a lesser degree although Florida may not get that great of a value for him. Stralman I think may be hard. There will be no takers for Bobrovsky but unlike lots of people, I'm actually optimistic he bounces back. May not be a 10M goaltender, but he could be 8.5M value again.

I'm totally fine with trading Borgstrom and/or Denisenko to get a better suited top 4 defensively solid LHD. Maybe even a #2 or #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad