Friedman: FLA salary shed. Who's available?

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
From Freiďmans most recent 31 thoughts column.

11. The move that surprised most was Florida’s Vincent Trocheck. I heard when teams queried the Panthers about it, they asked what was wrong that made him available? Arizona, Calgary and Minnesota were among those who made pitches.
There were a few factors that went into this, but it’s clear that new coach Joel Quenneville and Trocheck didn’t mesh. Chris Johnston reported the Panthers have been ordered to cut payroll, which certainly fits with the move — but Quenneville wanted to send a message while the playoffs were still within reach that changes were coming if the group didn’t compete harder. The prospects (Eetu Luostarinen and Chase Priskie) will play. Lucas Wallmark played 12:39 in Tuesday’s 2-1 win over the Coyotes,
Haula is an interesting guy. He’s got a chip on his shoulder, believing he deserves more of a role than he gets. (In Minnesota, he was nicknamed “Haula-Famer” because of that.) The Panthers want attitude. He’ll get a shot there.

Being ordered to "cut payroll, going into the summer what players will be expendable to try and free up salary to tweak the team after Trochecks trade? And what are FLA looking for to shake things up? Ekblad? Connolly? Matheson? Huberdeau? Are they available or are there others this is more expendable? I haven't watched much of Florida this year so I'm interested to hear from Panthers fans here.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
not shocked by this and I am sort of saddened.

Florida really needed to make the playoffs to get something going with that team

While I think Viola is a good guy, he does not like to lose money and the panthers have been losing money.

I think Strolman and Yandle will be shopped heavily at the draft.

panther fans can correct me on this, but I think the Panthers did the same mistake the Oilers did a few years ago (prior to Katz buying the team) and set a budget based upon making the playoffs and by missing the playoffs they are going to fall short of their goals and as with any business--when you fall short of your goals you make cuts

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
From Freiďmans most recent 31 thoughts column.

11. The move that surprised most was Florida’s Vincent Trocheck. I heard when teams queried the Panthers about it, they asked what was wrong that made him available? Arizona, Calgary and Minnesota were among those who made pitches.
There were a few factors that went into this, but it’s clear that new coach Joel Quenneville and Trocheck didn’t mesh. Chris Johnston reported the Panthers have been ordered to cut payroll, which certainly fits with the move — but Quenneville wanted to send a message while the playoffs were still within reach that changes were coming if the group didn’t compete harder. The prospects (Eetu Luostarinen and Chase Priskie) will play. Lucas Wallmark played 12:39 in Tuesday’s 2-1 win over the Coyotes,
Haula is an interesting guy. He’s got a chip on his shoulder, believing he deserves more of a role than he gets. (In Minnesota, he was nicknamed “Haula-Famer” because of that.) The Panthers want attitude. He’ll get a shot there.

Being ordered to "cut payroll, going into the summer what players will be expendable to try and free up salary to tweak the team after Trochecks trade? And what are FLA looking for to shake things up? Ekblad? Connolly? Matheson? Huberdeau? Are they available or are there others this is more expendable? I haven't watched much of Florida this year so I'm interested to hear from Panthers fans here.

First of all, budget cuts are not confirmed yet. And even if it is, Ekblad and Huberdeau won't be the ones going. Matheson will probably be dumped along with a pick to get someone to take him. Maybe another rookie or two makes the team instead of a fa.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
not shocked by this and I am sort of saddened.

Florida really needed to make the playoffs to get something going with that team

While I think Viola is a good guy, he does not like to lose money and the panthers have been losing money.

I think Strolman and Yandle will be shopped heavily at the draft.

panther fans can correct me on this, but I think the Panthers did the same mistake the Oilers did a few years ago (prior to Katz buying the team) and set a budget based upon making the playoffs and by missing the playoffs they are going to fall short of their goals and as with any business--when you fall short of your goals you make cuts

When did we miss the playoffs? Lol. We are 2 pts out of a divisional seed and 4 pts out of a wildcard.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
When did we miss the playoffs? Lol. We are 2 pts out of a divisional seed and 4 pts out of a wildcard.

not going to catch the wild card spot and that means they have to catch the leafs and I do not see that happening

Believe me--I would be over the moon if the leafs miss the playoffs cause I can create the same thread leaf fans started about McDavid everytime the Oilers missed the playoffs---that and the fact leafs missing the playoffs tends to piss off Canadian Media cause that means they will need to cover other teams

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
For a team that seems so close to finally becoming good, being forced to shed salary could (yet again) be a huge step backward that might cripple the team for years.

And if it causes Barkov and/or Huberdeau to leave, the team might as well just start rebuilding again. The core pieces are there, they just need to keep tinkering with the support before it's too late. And cutting 10M is not going to help that in any way.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
not going to catch the wild card spot and that means they have to catch the leafs and I do not see that happening

Believe me--I would be over the moon if the leafs miss the playoffs cause I can create the same thread leaf fans started about McDavid everytime the Oilers missed the playoffs---that and the fact leafs missing the playoffs tends to piss off Canadian Media cause that means they will need to cover other teams

Ok, whatever you say Nostradamus

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
If Florida is cutting salaries, will Barkov want to stay there on a non-Playoff team when he is UFA 2022?

I dont see him wanting out. No pressure in Florida and Barkov doesn't seem like a player that handle's pressure that good

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Matheson should be the obvious one to go. But who's gonna take that contract? Yikes I don't even think adding picks futures is gonna entice anyone since you'll be stuck with him for so long.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
This isn't as bad as it seems.
Looking at salaries for next year:

Barkov is gonna be making over 2m less
Acciari is gonna be making 500k less
Ekblad is gonna be making 3m less
Bob is gonna be making 500k more
So now they have to cut 5m.
Pysyk walks freeing up 3.5m
Boyle walks freeing 1m
Let Hoffman be overpaid by someone else freeing up 5.6m
Dump Yandle wherever freeing up another 5.75m
Now you have like 15m before hitting the budget.
Sign Dadonov at 7m (+3.4m)
Sign Haula at 3m (+250k)
Weegar needs a ~4m raise
Bring up Tippett (+800k)
Bring up Borg (+1m)
Now you have this roster with another 5m left to play with:
Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
xxxx - Haula - Tippett
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Connelly
xxxx - Acciari - Sceviour

Weegar - Ekblad
Stillman - Stralman
Matheson - Brown

Bob
Montembeault

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That Bobrovsky contract will be the gift that keeps on giving. It's as if these dumbass GMs didn't learn a lesson about overspending on a goaltender after the Bryzgalov fiasco in Philly.

At the same time, if they don't sign Bob, they're a franchise that doesn't want to compete. As if the Panthers don't get enough bad press. Which of course they're getting now anyway.

If Florida is cutting salaries, will Barkov want to stay there on a non-Playoff team when he is UFA 2022?

He could want out all he wants, but they control him for a couple more years. However, at 25 in Sept, with 2 years left, at a very reasonable cap hit, if they did want to trade him, he's the kind of asset at the right age that a team could get a lot for. Damn would it look bad though.

Yandle has the NMC, and signed with the Panthers. I'm not sure he would want to leave. As was said, if they just let their UFA's walk, and replace them with league minimum types, they'll cut their $10m right there. Promote Tippet. In the cap world, the easiest moves in the moment are usually the ones that get made.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
At the same time, if they don't sign Bob, they're a franchise that doesn't want to compete. As if the Panthers don't get enough bad press. Which of course they're getting now anyway.

I can't agree with that. Pretty much everyone thought Bob would sign in FLA and I can't remember too many people thinking it was a good idea. I didn't expect to see this thread so soon, though. Plenty had pointed out various concerns with his game (numbers declining, attitude issues, EXPENSIVE AS HELL mostly).

Would be a shame if they had to lose a core player due to this contract. I mean, they did already in some capacity, but it sounds like an issue with the coach's style as much as money.

Reactions: I am not exposed

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty sad news.

The defense needs to be upgraded and this doesn’t help for sure

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
This isn't as bad as it seems.
Looking at salaries for next year:

Barkov is gonna be making over 2m less
Acciari is gonna be making 500k less
Ekblad is gonna be making 3m less
Bob is gonna be making 500k more
So now they have to cut 5m.
Pysyk walks freeing up 3.5m
Boyle walks freeing 1m
Let Hoffman be overpaid by someone else freeing up 5.6m
Dump Yandle wherever freeing up another 5.75m
Now you have like 15m before hitting the budget.
Sign Dadonov at 7m (+3.4m)
Sign Haula at 3m (+250k)
Weegar needs a ~4m raise
Bring up Tippett (+800k)
Bring up Borg (+1m)
Now you have this roster with another 5m left to play with:
Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
xxxx - Haula - Tippett
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Connelly
xxxx - Acciari - Sceviour

Weegar - Ekblad
Stillman - Stralman
Matheson - Brown

Bob
Montembeault
I think you'll have to pay haula a lot more other teams will try to get him also.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You would make a thread about McDavid if the Leafs miss the playoffs?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

the Panthers are two points behind the Leafs with a game in hand. Why do you think they can’t catch them? I’m not saying they will pass them, but they certainly have the opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad