Friedman: FLA salary shed. Who's available?

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
When will GMs learn you don't and shouldn't need a 10M goalie to win. Get a good-enough and spend the difference on a Top 3 F and a Top 2 D for much more value.

Take the winners from 2000 to date. There are only two Vezina winners that won the Cup the same season: 2003 Martin Brodeur and 2011 Tim Thomas.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This isn't as bad as it seems.
Looking at salaries for next year:

Barkov is gonna be making over 2m less
Acciari is gonna be making 500k less
Ekblad is gonna be making 3m less
Bob is gonna be making 500k more
So now they have to cut 5m.
Pysyk walks freeing up 3.5m
Boyle walks freeing 1m
Let Hoffman be overpaid by someone else freeing up 5.6m
Dump Yandle wherever freeing up another 5.75m
Now you have like 15m before hitting the budget.
Sign Dadonov at 7m (+3.4m)
Sign Haula at 3m (+250k)
Weegar needs a ~4m raise
Bring up Tippett (+800k)
Bring up Borg (+1m)
Now you have this roster with another 5m left to play with:
Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
xxxx - Haula - Tippett
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Connelly
xxxx - Acciari - Sceviour

Weegar - Ekblad
Stillman - Stralman
Matheson - Brown

Bob
Montembeault

Even if you can somehow miraculously just gloss over issues like "unload Yandle wherever"...what exactly does that roster accomplish for anyone? It's less competitive than this year's roster, with little room to play with. And that's even assuming a 30 year old UFA stud like Dadonov is even going to want to sign on with a team that's apparently actively heading into the budget cutting tank zone. Dadonov may like it there, but he's only got a few more really good years to offer in the NHL. Does he actually want to dither them away with a team that's losing talent and rebuilding again and might not be competitive until he's in his mid-30s?

Reactions: Givememoneyback

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If Florida isn’t spending the cap space they have and are looking to cut salary buy Bob out

Saves 4,166,667 for the first 3 years
Saves 3,166,667 for year 4 to 6
Cost an extra 1,833,333 for an extra 6

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
So Florida spends in free agency, and is paying their head coach the most in the league, yet they want to cut salary after a season, because one person voiced his opinion. Until our beat writer comes out and says that is what he has heard, which he hasn’t even heard of, I call bs.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
…. He {Barkov} could want out all he wants, but they control him for a couple more years. However, at 25 in Sept, with 2 years left, at a very reasonable cap hit, if they did want to trade him, he's the kind of asset at the right age that a team could get a lot for. Damn would it look bad though. ...

There are 2 distinctly dif paths here showing opposite ends of the scale.

You could get lucky, like the Rangers.
NY is a nice place, franchise has a good rep, etc etc etc.
But IMO one of the big reasons Kreider chose to stay is that he has a hand in glove chemistry w/Zib, and that is huge. Mika is here another couple of years and there is every reason to think they will try to extend him another 4-5 yrs after that. In fact, would not be surprised if that was part of Chris' thinking as to term.
But NY was lucky. They got not just a talented guy, but the right guy, to complement each other. There are a handful of elite exceptions like Panarin, you sign him [if he chooses to come to your club] and you expect he can make anybody look good.

And then you have a parallel to Trouba.
Jets decided they wanted production instead, so they kept him.
But for a good year and a half min, I think, it was clear he wanted to go to NYR.
That surely restricted potential returns where he was now required to be considered most likely a rental only.
Chevy doubled down and didn't budge.
Whether or not the production was or was not the best overall move, long and short term, is another ?.
The point is there was a deliberate decision not to sell high.
And the consequence of that was they had to make a very solid add w/JT to get 20OA [+ Pionk[.

People ask why am I rushing Deangelo out the door. No desire to do THAT, just responding to certain realities. Cap mgmt. is a factor. Emerging D, esp stud RD Nils Lundqvist knocking on the door is another. That he will require exp draft protection is still another.
But another factor is timing. He is peaking, coming into his own, and RD are in high demand still. You are giving up a lot, but you sell high.

Barkov you only move if the return is significantly high enuf, which I believe it would be. Prudent move would be to keep checking and not overlook a deal if the time is right. Waiting too long, Barkov could pull a Trouba and say I will honor my contract, whoever holds it, but I am not extending unless I go [to] ________ .

Also, FL has a lot of needs.
RyJo for PopJo is the exception, not the rule.
A cheaper star of similar stature talent is not likely to be made available, and if he is, buyer beware, there is often a reason.

As that relates to this thread, a huge haul for Barkov could set up to replace more costly older talent with less expensive youth, aka the shedding of salary referenced in the title.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Am I wrong?

They are now 5 pts behind the leafs and 4 pts behind the wc spot

they are 1-2-2 in their last 5 games and they need to jump 3 teams to get into the last WC spot

whether we like it or not--certain things are predictable in the NHL these days

Now 1 pt behind the Leafs with a game in hand and also the 2nd wildcard

Nothing is predictable in the nhl my friend

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Barkov is available, Calgary will put together a tremendous package for him that'll get you young cost controlled NHL'ers, as many firsts as your heart wants.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
This isn't as bad as it seems.
Looking at salaries for next year:

Barkov is gonna be making over 2m less
Acciari is gonna be making 500k less
Ekblad is gonna be making 3m less
Bob is gonna be making 500k more
So now they have to cut 5m.
Pysyk walks freeing up 3.5m
Boyle walks freeing 1m
Let Hoffman be overpaid by someone else freeing up 5.6m
Dump Yandle wherever freeing up another 5.75m
Now you have like 15m before hitting the budget.
Sign Dadonov at 7m (+3.4m)
Sign Haula at 3m (+250k)
Weegar needs a ~4m raise
Bring up Tippett (+800k)
Bring up Borg (+1m)
Now you have this roster with another 5m left to play with:
Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
xxxx - Haula - Tippett
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Connelly
xxxx - Acciari - Sceviour

Weegar - Ekblad
Stillman - Stralman
Matheson - Brown

Bob
Montembeault

I don't see Haula signing for 3m.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
not shocked by this and I am sort of saddened.

Florida really needed to make the playoffs to get something going with that team

While I think Viola is a good guy, he does not like to lose money and the panthers have been losing money.

I think Strolman and Yandle will be shopped heavily at the draft.

panther fans can correct me on this, but I think the Panthers did the same mistake the Oilers did a few years ago (prior to Katz buying the team) and set a budget based upon making the playoffs and by missing the playoffs they are going to fall short of their goals and as with any business--when you fall short of your goals you make cuts

I wonder if, with salary leaving Edmonton, the Oilers would be a good fit for Stralman. His salary isn't too bad and he's a really steady D. We still don't really have that on our backend.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Serious i dont know how should be available. When there is more then one Player available.
Then my Picks goes on Matheson, always a big Question mark around him.
The other One i might guess, and i dont know for sure is Huberdeau. It might could be that Huberdeau is current not happy in Florida. That Year after Year Huberdeau have some good to excellent Years, missing the PO for same reason. Also in a Canadian Interview now a good Year before. He spoke about missing the PO for so many Years.

So if Huberdeau really is the "Core" available then it must be at least a PO Team and the return must be awesome.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The owner spoke at Lou’s jersey retirement and seemed to address the rumors when he said he wants to win championships and wants to win. That’s the gist. Imo they’ll looked to move Matheson, maybe Stralman, maybe another guy or two...but they’ll look to replace them either by UFA or kids in the system.
I don’t think we’ll see some big sell off.

if they miss, maybe Huby will be moved but not for a top return.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Looking at the stats, it would be hard to sell off Matheson but maybe he's just in a slump and a GM out there would like to add him.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The owner spoke at Lou’s jersey retirement and seemed to address the rumors when he said he wants to win championships and wants to win. That’s the gist. Imo they’ll looked to move Matheson, maybe Stralman, maybe another guy or two...but they’ll look to replace them either by UFA or kids in the system.
I don’t think we’ll see some big sell off.

if they miss, maybe Huby will be moved but not for a top return.

You forgot Yandle, he's good as gone.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Don’t think so, he has a NMC for one, and I don’t think he’s nearly as bad as fans make him out to be. He just needs a solid, responsible D partner.

Oh he will waive or he won't play next year.

He hasn't been able to beat Matheson to the job although Math has been God awful at times. When Stillman went down it was Matheson who moved up to the second pairing with Stralman, not Yandle who's been stuck on the third pairing forever. That's all you need to know what Q thinks of him. He's playing third pairing minutes and wouldn't even be doing that if not for the streak. Q is just trying to be fair but Yandle isn't stupid, he can see the writing on the wall.

But yeah with the right partner he's manageable but that's not with us. We don't have that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I never understood why they pursued Bob after drafting Knight. Not only is this a brutal deal, it's nearly untradeable unless retention is involved.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t buy that ownership’s trying to cut salary, they just commited 70 million to Bobrovsky 6 months ago. Just doesn’t make any sense.

Pretty sure they expected more than just 14k of average attendance per game heading into this season. That ranks 29th in the NHL. Same with the Devils heading into the year. I'm sure their owners are not liking the fact that they have to dig into their pockets when they went out and brought in huge contracts with the expectation their teams would be much better.

To add to their money problems...

- Panthers owner has to fork out $15M in July signing bonus money (Bob, Ekblad, Yandle, Huberdeau)
- Devils owner has to fork out $6M in July signing bonus money (Subban)

You better bet that the owner is telling their GM to cut costs

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Pretty sure they expected more than just 14k of average attendance per game heading into this season. That ranks 29th in the NHL. Same with the Devils heading into the year. I'm sure their owners are not liking the fact that they have to dig into their pockets when they went out and brought in huge contracts.

To add to their money problems...

- Panthers owner has to fork out $15M in July signing bonus money (Bob, Ekblad, Yandle, Huberdeau)
- Devils owner has to fork out $6M in July signing bonus money (Subban)

You better bet that the owner is telling their GM to cut costs
Im confused why youre mentioning Jersey

They have owners ranking top-10 in wealth dont they?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im confused why youre mentioning Jersey

They have owners ranking top-10 in wealth dont they?

Don't matter how rich the owner is, they want to make money, not loose it. You can pretend that this don't matter all you want. Same with the Canes... you better bet they hated that the Habs signed that offer sheet and gave him all that money in July before any revenue from next year comes in yet. Go look at any contract they have signed... nobody has July bonus money. Their owner is not going to tell us that it was a problem for him... Thinking that he will admit it to the media is comical

14k of average attendance won't pay all your hockey operation bills and then imagine if you are the GM asking your owner to dig into his pockets? You think that conversation is easy? Especially for the Panthers who are tight against the cap

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad