Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Panthers re-sign Reilly Smith (5 years, $5M AAV)

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Was his little playoff blip really worth $5 million a year? Guy was not that long ago traded for Jimmy Hayes lol

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Was his little playoff blip really worth $5 million a year? Guy was not that long ago traded for Jimmy Hayes lol

He did a lot of things right. Clearly.

Who cares who he was traded for, guys do well after trades literally all the time.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Boedker is more productive than Smith? WOW...that's news to me lol For what Smith brings to the table, he absolutely is worth more than Boedker.

Boedker last 3 years:
130 points in 207 games = 0.628 points per game

Smith last 3 years:
141 points in 245 games = 0.575 points per game

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
So, we should start comparing him with Matt Martin, then? I'll let you start....go ahead.

Unless you meant 2.5 million total, then I agree.

Sorry, my bad, monday post, lol. Yea, I think he should be making a bit less and should be getting 4.5

Group Chat Legend*

Not specifically this contract, but it seems a bit risky to be locking up all your guys on higher dollars for 'potential'. Normally one is okay, MAYBE two... But damn Florida is gettin carried away I think

But I like them, hopefully it works out

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean this dude is a winger and making more than Bozak as a UFA who plays C and on the PP and PK. People claim Bozak is overpaid but both are 50 point guys and one plays C.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Thats a slight gamble for the Panthers but I can't see any reason why it won't pay off for them.
Great trade once again Neely :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I mean this dude is a winger and making more than Bozak as a UFA who plays C and on the PP and PK. People claim Bozak is overpaid but both are 50 point guys and one plays C.

Smith has 2 50 point seasons and has missed 1 games in 3 years.

Bozak has 2 49 point seasons BUT HAS MISSED 49 GAMES THE LAST 3 SEASONS.

I know it might be hard to believe, but people do value players staying healthy instead of coulda, woulda, shoulda.

That being said, most on here are saying Reilly is slightly overpaid. I think he is paid fairly. As well, In Bozak threads, I have offered fair deals that Leafs fans agreed with because I believe Bozak is paid accordingly because he does seem to miss his fair amount of games lately.

Fwiw, the ratio of 10 pts for 1 million seems to be a very good guide to determine value of a contract. Then if that player does other things like PK, is physical, is a leader, is great defensively, etc...it adds to the equation.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Bozaks stock has flatlined, and he hasn't played the position of C well.
Reilly is younger and who's performance has consistently risen the past 3 years. GM's will gamble now and hope it pays off long term with players like that. Most "Bargain contracts are for guys that signed as an RFA

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I'm just saying it's one or the other I don't think it's a good deal, I think the panthers are HF's latest love child and everyone is drinking the coolaid.

Exactly, sometimes it's better off just letting people live in their own delusional world. You point out how comparable UFA's have gotten the same or less as Smith with two years of RFA status left and they have an excuse. You bring up how a center with similar production makes less and they have an excuse. You bring up how he almost got the same deal as Filip Forsberg and there is an excuse.

Reilly Smith is a nice player but he is not a 5 million dollar a year player especially with 2 of his 5 years being under cost controlled RFA status. Florida is an up and coming team and has made some really good moves but this is not one of them.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Bozaks stock has flatlined, and he hasn't played the position of C well.
Completely incorrect. He is still the same 50 point center he has been throughout his career. As far as not playing center well, that is laughable considering he is one of the best face off guys in the league.

Reilly is younger and who's performance has consistently risen the past 3 years.
This is FACTUALLY incorrect. He went from 20 goals/51 points 3 years ago, to 13 goals/40 points, to a career year in goals with 25 in a contract year this past. Like I told the other guy who was arguing for this contract last night, at least get your facts straight when you are going to make an argument.

GM's will gamble now and hope it pays off long term with players like that. Most "Bargain contracts are for guys that signed as an RFA
Exactly, and you said it yourself right there. Smith is not worth the contract he got, it's a gamble that he will improve upon his numbers or at the very least consistently score 25 goals and post 50+ points which is far from a given based on his career track.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Completely incorrect. He is still the same 50 point center he has been throughout his career. As far as not playing center well, that is laughable considering he is one of the best face off guys in the league.

This is FACTUALLY incorrect. He went from 20 goals/51 points 3 years ago, to 13 goals/40 points, to a career year in goals with 25 in a contract year this past. Like I told the other guy who was arguing for this contract last night, at least get your facts straight when you are going to make an argument.

Exactly, and you said it yourself right there. Smith is not worth the contract he got, it's a gamble that he will improve upon his numbers or at the very least consistently score 25 goals and post 50+ points which is far from a given based on his career track.

Last year wasn't a contract year. He still has another year left on an old deal before the 5x5 kicks in. Also, an extra year and an extra million AAV is a pretty big difference when comparing Smith's and Forsberg's contracts. Not sure how they are "basically the same"

ytsur*

Boedker last 3 years:
130 points in 207 games = 0.628 points per game

Smith last 3 years:
141 points in 245 games = 0.575 points per game

Since you're cherry-picking a three-year period, at least do so in which they are the same age. Oh, and how about playoff production? Smith 0.72 ppg vs Boedker 0.45 ppg.

Smith has 3 seasons of at least 40 points. Boedker? One. I'll take the guy who actually plays.

O.53 career ppg for Smith. Boedker? 0.49.

Smith from age 20-25 (his entire career): 0.53 ppg. Boedker, from age 20-25: 0.48.

Facts, homie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad