Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Panthers re-sign Reilly Smith (5 years, $5M AAV)

Evergreen

Man, the Panthers really want to get everyone locked up quickly, huh?

I think this is a bit pricey, but it could work out.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Is their strategy to give Smith a contract that would scare away an expansion team from selecting him?

That's a big commitment for a streaky player.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
lol @ all the people who didn't see the trocheck line last season.
NYI fans knows what i'm talking about

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
From an outsider's standpoint, I'm very intrigued (in a good way) by what the Panthers are doing this summer. I wasn't crazy about the Kulikov deal, though I'm not nearly familiar enough with their financial structure to judge...but other than that, I think I would be thrilled as a Panthers fan right now.

Plus, you know...that new jersey is sick ! :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Is their strategy to give Smith a contract that would scare away an expansion team from selecting him?

That's a big commitment for a streaky player.

he wasn't streaky at all last year. very consistent offensively and a great two way player

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
From an outsider's standpoint, I'm very intrigued (in a good way) by what the Panthers are doing this summer. I wasn't crazy about the Kulikov deal, though I'm not nearly familiar enough with their financial structure to judge...but other than that, I think I would be thrilled as a Panthers fan right now.

Plus, you know...that new jersey is sick ! :)

overall, panthers defense got younger, better, and saved money.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Barkov @ 5,9
Smith @ 5
Trocheck @ 4,75
Bjugstad @ 4,1

Ekblad @ 7,5
Yandle @ 6,35
Demers @ 4,5

Luongo @ 4,53
Reimer @ 3,4

All signed for 5+ years for a combined cap hit of 46,03 million. I'd say you can do much worse than that.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
overall, panthers defense got younger, better, and saved money.

I'm curious...would it have been possible for the Panthers to do all that AND keep Kulikov ?

Cause a defense with Yandle/Ekblad, Kulikov/Demers, Matheson/Petrovic would've been awesome. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Barkov @ 5,9
Smith @ 5
Trocheck @ 4,75
Bjugstad @ 4,1

Ekblad @ 7,5
Yandle @ 6,35
Demers @ 4,5

Luongo @ 4,53
Reimer @ 3,4

All signed for 5+ years for a combined cap hit of 46,03 million. I'd say you can do much worse than that.

... before someone mentions Bolland.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'm curious...would it have been possible for the Panthers to do all that AND keep Kulikov ?

Cause a defense with Yandle/Ekblad, Kulikov/Demers, Matheson/Petrovic would've been awesome. :)

probably but Kulikov doesn't bring enough offense for how much he costs and he'll be a UFA after this season. They see Matheson taking over that top 4LHD spot too.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN

For this year, yeah, but Kuli is a UFA after this season and would have probably walked. He's also asking for somewhere around 5.5 so it would've been hard to keep him after this year anyway with more important pieces that needed to be locked up

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Haven't seen that streaky-version of him yet. The guy delivered, especially in the playoffs.

He delivered in the first three playoff games, then got shutout in the next three games.

I guess he's still young, but after seeing him take a dip in Boston after his first 50-point campaign, I'm not really sure what to expect of him in the upcoming years.

I just don't think he's done enough to warrant this type of deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He delivered in the first three playoff games, then got shutout in the next three games.

I guess he's still young, but after seeing him take a dip in Boston after his first 50-point campaign, I'm not really sure what to expect of him in the upcoming years.

I just don't think he's done enough to warrant this type of deal.

He lost his confidence in his 2nd year in Boston and he was playing with Bergeron, which means tough minutes.
In Florida he plays on the 2nd line and has great chemistry with Trocheck.

He's 25y 2 time 50 point scorer, it's a fair deal for him.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
... before someone mentions Bolland.

Getting rid of Bolland (probably) frees up the extra 1,575m going to Smith and then some money towards Huberdeau's extension. And considering you have some nice prospects as well, you should be in a fantastic position cap wise for years to come. I really have started to love the Panthers more (thanks to Barkov), and it genuinely looks like there's another contender in the making in Miami. :)

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Great trade Sweeney

Well as a Bruin fan I can see that coming before he even played a game for them. He has great hands as per the Dallas scouts who said they wanted to keep him. He was deemed a tradeable asset for some reason, beyond me. Probably because he was streaky and not a Bruin type player. Hayes has been a average player at best, big but does not use the size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad