Confirmed Trade: [FLA/MTL] Ben Chiarot (50%) for 2023 1st round pick, 2022 4th round pick, and Ty Smilanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Not enough talk of Chiarot on the power play. He has been good for Montreal. Quality bomb. Florida's second powerplay unit is now pretty dangerous.

This trade is a good example that people here always try to argue what they would give up and not what NHL GMs will give up.

Reactions: HabsQC

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
As a Leafs fan, I am thrilled we did not put forth a package that was anywhere close to what Florida gave up. Seems like a massive overpayment TBH. I think Chiarott would be a good pickup for FLA, I just think that is an outrageous price TBH.

That said, FLA is also in a spot where they realistically could go on a real run. I am not convinced we are. If I thought we were, I'd be more inclined to overpay for Chiarott's services. Overall, Kinda feels like robbing peter to pay paul from a Leafs perspective. I am happy a divisional wagon gave up a solid futures package for Chiarott, but all those futures stay in division with MTL.

If you're a MTL fan you have to be pleased with this competent level of management thus far from Gorton/Hughes no?? they've now got 13 picks this coming draft, including 9 in the first 4 rounds. 2 first round picks next year including FLA's unprotected 1st, which we've seen worse fall from grace's.

Hate to say it, but things could turn around relatively quick in MTL if they can figure out how to draft
As a Leafs fan, you're right. Giving us a pick that could be as high as 17th would be worrying especially when it could only be as low as 24th. The Panthers are banking on a cup run and losing a pick near 30.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yup... this nails it. A decade of Montreal scouts whiffing on pick after pick has left me emotionally scarred.
Did they whiff though? It seems like Gorton and Hughes made it very clear there was no development plan in the organization. Basically draft and hope it works.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Am I the only guy who saw Similanic, a 1st and a 4th on twitter and didn't realize they got a player too initially. I read it as Simonac.

• Haha
Reactions: ThaDevilGirl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a Leafs fan, I am thrilled we did not put forth a package that was anywhere close to what Florida gave up. Seems like a massive overpayment TBH. I think Chiarott would be a good pickup for FLA, I just think that is an outrageous price TBH.

That said, FLA is also in a spot where they realistically could go on a real run. I am not convinced we are. If I thought we were, I'd be more inclined to overpay for Chiarott's services. Overall, Kinda feels like robbing peter to pay paul from a Leafs perspective. I am happy a divisional wagon gave up a solid futures package for Chiarott, but all those futures stay in division with MTL.

If you're a MTL fan you have to be pleased with this competent level of management thus far from Gorton/Hughes no?? they've now got 13 picks this coming draft, including 9 in the first 4 rounds. 2 first round picks next year including FLA's unprotected 1st, which we've seen worse fall from grace's.

Hate to say it, but things could turn around relatively quick in MTL if they can figure out how to draft

Leafs fans would feel that way and I don't blame you. Folingo was a disaster last year. What was the last move you mean for a rental that paid off? Pleky in his mid 30's for a 2nd? I bet you this was a move Dubas didn't like where Lou did.

Not to cause a stir but giving the GM job to a kid GM at the most important time in franchise history was a mistake. Should have kept Lou with Dubas as his assistant.

Kadri trade: What was he thinking? Acquire another offensive D man in Barrie who as a pending UFA? And with Kerfoot as the 3C where you needed someone with grit and can play shutdown. By far his worse move. Dubas traded a value contract for a 2C. Think about that.

Addressing flaws: Most know it and you need grit but when you go after size, make sure they can skate. Folingo, Thornton, Ritchie, etc.

Letting Anderson walk? Take Mrazek and Ritchie out and keep Anderson. Anderson is a victim of being targeted due to Leaf flaws created by Dubas.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
What's so funny? We retained around 500k$, that's peanuts...
The retention was attractive due to several teams not having that much cap space. This is why the Panthers and Avs made moves for Manson and Chiarot. Trying to fit in Lindholm or Giordano with much higher cap hits required 3rd teams to also retain (like the Wings did for Tampa last year for a 4th). It's quite possible that many teams with cap space are budget tight and their owner has said that if you want us to pay actual money (even if it's $500k or lower), you better make it worth it.

For the Habs as a big market team with lots of revenue, it didn't mean much but we knew the leverage we had.
Yes, it’s peanuts for Montreal to retain the amount, but it costs the acquiring team for Montreal to retain. That’s not rocket science, look at the Jarnkrok deal and others with 50% retention.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yup... this nails it. A decade of Montreal scouts whiffing on pick after pick has left me emotionally scarred.
TBH i think with Jeff Gorton (American) and Kent Hughes (Anglo Montrealer) in charge, I feel like that obligation to select like ~30% of their draft picks with a French last name will no longer be a requirement. That's not to say they won't still select French kids or kids out of the Q, but from my outsiders opinion it seems like it carried way too much weight in their selection process.

If I am not mistaken they have not selected a Swede in almost a decade correct? If not a decade an absurd amount of time given how big of a honey hole that country is for high quality hockey players.

I by no means am cheering for MTL to turn it around quickly, they had their fun last year :P. But again, from my unbias opinion they seem to be heading in the right direction. I never would have thought the Habs would ever hire an American president, despite the resume, and I certainly never thought they'd hire a GM with an Anglo name. Despite being from the city.

Reactions: Lshap

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

It's really nothing for Montreal. It probably won't even prevent them from acquiring a dump. It's something like 500K
But it could possibly enable your team to add another player

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's really nothing for Montreal. It probably won't even prevent them from acquiring a dump. It's something like 500K
But it could possibly enable your team to add another player
I’m not saying it’s anything for Montreal, but is Montreal not doing Florida a service with the retention? Do teams just say, “her sure we’ll retain, no problem,” or is there not a heavy price tag usually?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
TBH i think with Jeff Gorton (American) and Kent Hughes (Anglo Montrealer) in charge, I feel like that obligation to select like ~30% of their draft picks with a French last name will no longer be a requirement. That's not to say they won't still select French kids or kids out of the Q, but from my outsiders opinion it seems like it carried way too much weight in their selection process.

If I am not mistaken they have not selected a Swede in almost a decade correct? If not a decade an absurd amount of time given how big of a honey hole that country is for high quality hockey players.

I by no means am cheering for MTL to turn it around quickly, they had their fun last year :P. But again, from my unbias opinion they seem to be heading in the right direction. I never would have thought the Habs would ever hire an American president, despite the resume, and I certainly never thought they'd hire a GM with an Anglo name. Despite being from the city.
Norlinder 2019, Olofsson 2018 come to mind. Their poor drafting and development is global not specific to any country/region. And they have not drafted 30% of Quebec born players across the years

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I’m not saying it’s anything for Montreal, but is Montreal not doing Florida a service with the retention? Do teams just say, “her sure we’ll retain, no problem,” or is there not a heavy price tag usually?
I think for rentals the price tage of small retention is somewhere around a 5th so it was included in the price from the start. Most of the time sellers don't really mind.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes, it’s peanuts for Montreal to retain the amount, but it costs the acquiring team for Montreal to retain. That’s not rocket science, look at the Jarnkrok deal and others with 50% retention.
Yeah, the 5th round pick probably became a 4th round pick. We're talking about an extremely small retention here.

We didn't get that haul because we agreed to retain 500k...

Reactions: HabsQC

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Leafs fans would feel that way and I don't blame you. Folingo was a disaster last year. What was the last move you mean for a rental that paid off? Pleky in his mid 30's for a 2nd? I bet you this was a move Dubas didn't like where Lou did.

Not to cause a stir but giving the GM job to a kid GM at the most important time in franchise history was a mistake. Should have kept Lou with Dubas as his assistant.

Kadri trade: What was he thinking? Acquire another offensive D man in Barrie who as a pending UFA? And with Kerfoot as the 3C where you needed someone with grit and can play shutdown. By far his worse move. Dubas traded a value contract for a 2C. Think about that.

Addressing flaws: Most know it and you need grit but when you go after size, make sure they can skate. Folingo, Thornton, Ritchie, etc.

Letting Anderson walk? Take Mrazek and Ritchie out and keep Anderson. Anderson is a victim of being targeted due to Leaf flaws created by Dubas.
Honestly, Kyle has very little blame to assume for our star players not showing up in key moments. All of which no GM would have moved prior to this year.

This isn't the thread to defend Dubas so I'll keep it short, but he has done far more good than bad as the Leafs GM. As a life long fan of the team of over 30+ years, He's by far the best GM our team has had in that stretch. It's just a convenient cop out by the fan base to blame inexperience TBH. If he left today, our franchise is in a far better spot than it was 4 years ago.

I know there are Leafs fans that want him gone, but those Leafs fans likely have never looked into our prospect pool at any point in their fandom. Despite the doom and gloom routinely painted on the Leafs organization, the future is bright with the next wave of kids coming (Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Neimela, Abruzzese...etc)

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Gorton has a good track record with defensemen, a lucky track record with drafting goalies, and a very mixed record on drafting forwards.

Honestly, I do think Montreal will be back up to speed in 3-4 seasons.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not sure it had that much of an influence on the return, so much as the willingness of the Panthers to make the trade in the first place.

If Chiarot had 2 more years to his deal, then of course.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
It's a good haul for a pending UFA who can play in your top 4.

I love Chiarot, he's a leader on the ice, plays tough and is a great skater (which people often overlook). You will love him in the playoffs, he's tough, pretty fast and plays "playoff" hockey 24/7.

I hope we get a crack at re-signing him in the offseason.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Did they whiff though? It seems like Gorton and Hughes made it very clear there was no development plan in the organization. Basically draft and hope it works.
Habs were probably torpedoed by a combination of bad scouting and bad development. Both were in desperate need of upgrades. Have things begun to turn around with Caufield, Romanov, and the current prospects? Too soon to say. But here they are with a bunch of 1st round picks – this is the time for the scouting and coaching teams to transform the club or blow a golden opportunity.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, Kyle has very little blame to assume for our star players not showing up in key moments. All of which no GM would have moved prior to this year.

This isn't the thread to defend Dubas so I'll keep it short, but he has done far more good than bad as the Leafs GM. As a life long fan of the team of over 30+ years, He's by far the best GM our team has had in that stretch. It's just a convenient cop out by the fan base to blame inexperience TBH. If he left today, our franchise is in a far better spot than it was 4 years ago.

I know there are Leafs fans that want him gone, but those Leafs fans likely have never looked into our prospect pool at any point in their fandom. Despite the doom and gloom routinely painted on the Leafs organization, the future is bright with the next wave of kids coming (Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Neimela, Abruzzese...etc)

Star players need complementary pieces. Dubas has not improved the team during his time as GM. Reality. Don't blame your stars.

Reactions: Tripledeke333

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Star players need complementary pieces. Dubas has not improved the team during his time as GM. Reality. Don't blame your stars.
Again, I don't want to hijack this thread and go completely off the actual topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the Leafs and all of their woes. I've gone to great length on the Leafs forum already about this topic, and it is hard enough to convince the 55-60% of the fanbase that Kyle and Brenden are not the problem, I really don't need to have this discussion on the global stage lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad