Confirmed Trade: [FLA/CGY] Sam Bennett and 2022 6th round pick for Emil Heineman and 2022 2nd round pick

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
84Phk6M.png

If you predicted him pacing 117 points after a trade to Florida a month ago you are either a time traveler or delusional. In that case I expect Patrick to do the same thing when him and Konecny are traded to Calgary this summer for extended Gaudreau

Very cool definition. Context reigns here, however. You suggested something as probable/most likely/almost certain. Many people know that a change of scenery can go a long way for a player. Especially one drafted with pedigree but was buried in a defensive role. When I heard Florida got Bennett, I EXPECTED him to slot in behind Barkov and increase his production because Florida is a strong club.

But you should lighten up. I made a joke, that's all.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It's coaches trust like Bennett inconsistent ice-time for a young player leading to more mistakes for his ice-time (usually made up for by his speed) combined with wanting more size on the 6D
That said easily the fastest skater on the team, good first pass, great shot all at the NHL level someone could make this guy a player
whats a fair value for him and what are immediate needs you'd like coming back?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's coaches trust like Bennett inconsistent ice-time for a young player leading to more mistakes for his ice-time (usually made up for by his speed) combined with wanting more size on the 6D
That said easily the fastest skater on the team, good first pass, great shot all at the NHL level someone could make this guy a player
Yes Kylington and Bennett were the two guys who were disasterously used in Calgary. Kylington has more tools than any defenseman on the team with the possible exception of Hanifin. He also makes way less mistakes than Valimaki who somehow gets trotted out there night after night.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
whats a fair value for him and what are immediate needs you'd like coming back?
I don't know. I think there's a good chance Seattle takes him. It's what I'd do if I were them. He doesn't have a lot of trade value unfortunately. I could see a late round pick being the return, if not waivers. Terrible asset management and development by the Flames. Kylington has Brodie type tools.

Reactions: Smitty426

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He is looking really good so far, and if he can keep up even like 80-90% of this type of play moving forward I think Flordia will be very happy.
I was expecting him to do slightly better than where he ended up in Calgary, but not this good.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Some pretty lame back and forth the last couple pages, lol. Reality is, most thought he’d do a bit better here (and to Flames’ fans credit most haven’t said anything bad about him and many thought he’d excel here), but no one thought he’d explode for 10in 7. I sure didn’t. Reality is, most came here and IMploded.

this trade likely works for both teams, hope Heineman does well for Calgary and that 2nd is a solid prospect.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Yes Kylington and Bennett were the two guys who were disasterously used in Calgary. Kylington has more tools than any defenseman on the team with the possible exception of Hanifin. He also makes way less mistakes than Valimaki who somehow gets trotted out there night after night.
Um Valimaki is strictly better than Kylington. Defensive awareness alone is enough of a reason for Valimaki to get the spot over him. As for mistakes you only notice Valimaki's more because he plays more (recency bias). Kylington's gaffes are really glaring when they happen (which is a few times a game) like when he always tries to spin off a forechecker, falls, and gives away the puck for a 2 on 1.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Um Valimaki is strictly better than Kylington. Defensive awareness alone is enough of a reason for Valimaki to get the spot over him. As for mistakes you only notice Valimaki's more because he plays more (recency bias). Kylington's gaffes are really glaring when they happen (which is a few times a game) like when he always tries to spin off a forechecker, falls, and gives away the puck for a 2 on 1.
I definitely disagree with you. Management and coaching seems to see it your way though. Not sure whether that's a point on your side or on mine though....haha. The one thing that can't be debated by anyone rational is that Valimaki has been a colossal disappointment. He plays like a frightened rabbit. I don't see that in Kylington's game.

Ledge And Dairy

I definitely disagree with you. Management and coaching seems to see it your way though. Not sure whether that's a point on your side or on mine though....haha. The one thing that can't be debated by anyone rational is that Valimaki has been a colossal disappointment. He plays like a frightened rabbit. I don't see that in Kylington's game.
Agree to disagree then, I think Valimaki replaces Gio in the top 4 by next season. Valimaki's still a rookie, we dont see Romanov lighting the lamp like crazy or anything, confidence comes with time.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Agree to disagree then, I think Valimaki replaces Gio in the top 4 by next season. Valimaki's still a rookie, we dont see Romanov lighting the lamp like crazy or anything, confidence comes with time.
I'm just looking for solid defensive play from him. To be honest he looks like a dumpster fire to me most nights. It would at least ensure we get a good pick in 2022 if he's in our top 4.

Ledge And Dairy

I'm just looking for solid defensive play from him. To be honest he looks like a dumpster fire to me most nights. It would at least ensure we get a good pick in 2022 if he's in our top 4.
Im not sure you realize how strong the Tanev effect is. Look at Hughes compared to last year. Gio has to be replaced at some point and Valimaki + Hanifin are by far our best bets in doing so. Put Valimaki out there with Tanev and he will definitely learn the ropes. Hanifin - Andersson should 100% take over as 1st pair next year. Have Gio's minutes reduced at 5v5 so he can still do PK and some PP like Boston did with Chara.

Anyways this is way off topic of the tread and not really worth discussing since thats coaching decisions

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Some pretty lame back and forth the last couple pages, lol. Reality is, most thought he’d do a bit better here (and to Flames’ fans credit most haven’t said anything bad about him and most thought he’d excel here), but no one thought he’d explode for 10in 7. I sure didn’t. Reality is, most came here and IMploded.

this trade likely works for both teams, hope Heineman does well for Calgary and that 2nd is a solid prospect.
Holy cow, rational thought on the trade forums? Madness

Aug 3, 2010
Flames have a pretty bad history of giving up on players who break out on other teams.

Brett Hull
Martin St.Louis
Marc Savard
JS Giguere
Duane Roloson
Corey Stillman
Every team does, it's not unique to any one franchise. Two of the players listed are HOFers sure but again, nothing surprising.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Man's an absolute beauty
GOD were people wrong about this trade, it just goes to show that you should wait before judging a trade/signing/etc

Most people thought he'd be traded for less, I'm pretty sure most pros were saying this was a win for both sides, Calgary didn't give him away for free and Florida didn't pay an arm and a leg, two 2nds for Bennett is more than the 3rd/4th every other fanbase was offering for his service

Ledge And Dairy

Flames have a pretty bad history of giving up on players who break out on other teams.

Brett Hull
Martin St.Louis
Marc Savard
JS Giguere
Duane Roloson
Corey Stillman
This is a really weird comment because literally every team has made bad trades. Your Oilers for example made horrible trades involving:
Paul Coffee
Mark Messier
Vincent Damphousse
Miroslav Satan
Taylor Hall
Joffrey Lupul
Jordan Eberle

Not to mention the best player of all time.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is a really weird comment because literally every team has made bad trades. Your Oilers for example made horrible trades involving:
Paul Coffee
Mark Messier
Vincent Damphousse
Miroslav Satan
Taylor Hall
Joffrey Lupul
Jordan Eberle

Not to mention the best player of all time.
You completely missed what he was saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad