Confirmed Trade: [FLA/CGY] Sam Bennett and 2022 6th round pick for Emil Heineman and 2022 2nd round pick

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
To me the ones that stand out were rushing a rebuild

So why would we can the best drafting GM we've had in 30 years if we're going to do a full rebuild?

Simply because you've proven your point already. He got his attempt and failed. He's not a good general manager and has consistently shown why over the better part of a decade. He's an overrated trader, he clearly cannot build a strong fundamental roster and came into a cushy situation set up by Feaster and killed the development of the highest pick in franchise history, ode to this thread. If his calling card is drafting and we have a bottom third prospect pool in the league we're in dire times.

I'm not sure what's with Flames fans and their stockholm syndrome to perpetual mediocrity

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Simply because you've proven your point already. He got his attempt and failed. He's not a good general manager and has consistently shown why over the better part of a decade. He's an overrated trader, he clearly cannot build a strong fundamental roster and came into a cushy situation set up by Feaster and killed the development of the highest pick in franchise history, ode to this thread. If his calling card is drafting and we have a bottom third prospect pool in the league we're in dire times.

I'm not sure what's with Flames fans and their stockholm syndrome to perpetual mediocrity
Yes that Jankowski pick over Teravainen, that Poirier pick over Theodore and that Klimchuk pick were just great. Don't even let me get into the JBo, Iginla and lack of a Kipper trade or the almost offer sheet and player loss on waivers for ROR. Feaster was a dumpster fire.

If averaging over 2 players per draft while simultaneously trading away 2 1st round and 4 2nd round picks is bad drafting give me more of that kind of bad drafting. There was a 3 year period with all of our picks where we didn't get a single player before that.

This isn't a fan issue or a GM issue. It's an ownership issue where Edwards (who doesn't pay Canadian taxes and wants our dollars to finance a portion of his business centre) is unwilling to tolerate the kind of rebuild necessary to win a cup. The lack of any top 3 pick in our history makes it very hard to be anything more than a middle of the pack team.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Yes that Jankowski pick over Teravainen, that Poirier pick over Theodore and that Klimchuk pick were just great. Don't even let me get into the JBo, Iginla and lack of a Kipper trade or the almost offer sheet and player loss on waivers for ROR. Feaster was a dumpster fire.

If averaging over 2 players per draft while simultaneously trading away 2 1st round and 4 2nd round picks is bad drafting give me more of that kind of bad drafting. There was a 3 year period with all of our picks where we didn't get a single player before that.

This isn't a fan issue or a GM issue. It's an ownership issue where Edwards (who doesn't pay Canadian taxes and wants our dollars to finance a portion of his business centre) is unwilling to tolerate the kind of rebuild necessary to win a cup. The lack of any top 3 pick in our history makes it very hard to be anything more than a middle of the pack team.

Feaster and Treliving can be bad GMs for different reasons, and they are.

We’ve spent 7 years trying to build around a 160 lb left winger, and are worse in every respect except goaltending and coaching than when Treliving took over.

Enough. It’s over.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
I have a serious question to all the people that knew Sam Bennett was going to do well when he got out of Calgary - why didn't your team offer something better than what Florida did? It wouldn't be all that difficult to do. Shouldn't 29 other GMs in the league be criticized for not picking up Bennett? Just wondering.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I have a serious question to all the people that knew Sam Bennett was going to do well when he got out of Calgary - why didn't your team offer something better than what Florida did? It wouldn't be all that difficult to do. Shouldn't 29 other GMs in the league be criticized for not picking up Bennett? Just wondering.

He went from being regarded as Andrew Cogliano on HF to a leader with skill and grit practically overnight :sarcasm:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

You think I have some sort of influence with devils management?

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
You think I have some sort of influence with devils management?
Then why aren't you ragging on Devil's management as well then? As for any influence by anyone here (myself included), we are all a bunch of gm wannabe's.

The only trade offers that I have seen on this board for Bennett that came close to being decent was Montreal 2nd pick and Armia. Every other offer was crap. Admit it, you had no clue to how good Bennett could become since the trade to Florida.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
I was hoping Yzerman would be in on Bennett again as I remember he was one of the (admittedly many, more than this time around) GMs interested a few years back when Bennett's name was being floated. I've suggested that he might've costed us Fabbri and that would've been fine with me but I was beside myself on the Red Wings board. If Calgary preferred picks then I also would've been ok with just about any package of this year's picks outside of our 1sts (two 2nds, maybe add a later round as well-- a similar package as what we got for Athanasiou last year). Granted he likely wouldn't have performed as well here as he has in Florida given that he would've been surrounded by less talent and playing meaningless games, but with Larkin out we would've been able to hand him the keys to the kingdom and let him prove himself in that 1C position for the remainder of the season. I like guys like Bennett who have a chip on their shoulder and it was obvious to me that he really felt hemmed in to that 3rd line checking role in Calgary and wanted an opportunity for a fresh start elsewhere...being able to offer that kind of opportunity is one of the few advantages that the Wings have these days.
Next buy-low candidate to explore: Nolan Patrick? I wouldn't offer nearly as much for him as for Bennett, given that Bennett had at least shown a little of his beast mode in Calgary, something that remains to be seen from Patrick.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Bennett's development is on the coaching staff not the GM, Tre's not down there on the ice making lines. Sure if you want to blame trickle down that Tre hired the coach but thats reaching for an excuse.
It's completely legitimate to blame the GM for the coaching. Treliving fired the Adams winning coach as quick as he could then hired bum after bum until the owners stepped in and forced him to hire a competent coach. That has been his biggest failing and he should be turfed for his poor judgement in one of the most important positions. His piss poor UFA signings have hurt the team but the garbage coaching has done much more damage.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
One thing to keep in mind is there are persistent rumors that ownership was unwilling to spend big money on coaches. Hence 2 of the hires being the lowest coaching contracts in the league in Gulutzan and Ward.
Fan rumours, there has never been any proof that ownership isn't willing to pay coaches. Evidence is the hiring of both Sutters the first go around. Treliving hasn't hired a decent coach but ownership has been willing to pay over and over again for his failed hires that they pay after they are fired. This year I think they are paying Peters, Ward and Sutter .. that might be the highest coaching cost in the league.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Then why aren't you ragging on Devil's management as well then? As for any influence by anyone here (myself included), we are all a bunch of gm wannabe's.

The only trade offers that I have seen on this board for Bennett that came close to being decent was Montreal 2nd pick and Armia. Every other offer was crap. Admit it, you had no clue to how good Bennett could become since the trade to Florida.

You must not be very familiar with my post history if you don't think (1) I am constantly critical of the Devils management and (2) haven't been among the biggest Bennett supporters. I'm on record predicting he'd be a 55-70+ point player if given the chance the play his natural position with any talent, and have been saying he should have been centering Gaudreau for over 5 years.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Feaster and Treliving can be bad GMs for different reasons, and they are.

We’ve spent 7 years trying to build around a 160 lb left winger, and are worse in every respect except goaltending and coaching than when Treliving took over.

Enough. It’s over.
I think you'll be wrong. It's really easy to fire someone. How much different is the roster than the one that finished 1st in the west 2 years ago? I have staffing responsibilities in my business. When I get someone who is smart, hard working, learns from their mistakes and wants to make my business better I'm not firing that person, I'm investing in them and surrounding them with resources to help with their weaknesses.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Fan rumours, there has never been any proof that ownership isn't willing to pay coaches. Evidence is the hiring of both Sutters the first go around. Treliving hasn't hired a decent coach but ownership has been willing to pay over and over again for his failed hires that they pay after they are fired. This year I think they are paying Peters, Ward and Sutter .. that might be the highest coaching cost in the league.
Not fan rumors. Rumors from Friedman, Steinberg and a number of other well connected people. Brent was not a highly paid coach. Darryl was middle of the pack the first time around.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I guess that's my point. If you aren't winning in Canada then you're incompetent. It's a hard job and Treliving has done it better than the 6 before him.
He really hasn't. Its just a continuation of that same list. They had one fluke season and assumed that performance would continue.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He really hasn't. Its just a continuation of that same list. They had one fluke season and assumed that performance would continue.
Again, there are no top 3 picks in Calgary's history. Name me a club in the last 20 years who has won a cup without one. They have never done a proper rebuild. Making the playoffs in 4 of 7 years without a top 3 pick is nothing to sneeze at. Half the teams don't make it each year. I'm not saying mistakes haven't been made, but there is no dominant player on this roster. We had a Norris candidate refuse to come to Calgary and make it clear he would only play for the Rangers. We've had 2 different attempted forward adds refuse to come to Calgary.

On an internet forum it's really easy to make trades to change the composition of the roster. My guess is it's a lot more difficult in reality to trade a player like Monahan or Giordano and not lose the trade in a horrendous fashion.

I don't think anyone would have predicted Tkachuk playing like he has this season. I don't think anyone would have predicted Markstrom would provide the worst save percentage we've seen in Calgary in 5 seasons after trending up and being a borderline Vezina candidate.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
because what Florida paid was at the top level of what he was worth. No team was going to pay for what he may do with a fresh start. They were going to pay for a bottom 6 forward who if needed can play in the top 6 without hurting the team AND pay extra because said player is proven to elevate his game exponentially in the playoffs.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Opportunity.

The team that ponied up, which was Florida, needed to AT LEAST try to slot Bennett in the top 6, in the center position. So, they did and it’s paying dividends.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00