Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Posts like this…

Surely he could not, or he would have.

Hagg was shopped. This is market value.

Yep. We see depth guys flip around for this sort of stuff every year. And it's not like Buffalo doesn't get the benefit of having an additional free contract slot now since they have a number of collegiate players they'd like to get under contract and off their reserve list in the next few weeks.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Hextall is going into the playoffs with the softest D in the NHL. Without addressing this expect the same result.

This is true. The most physical defenseman the Pens have is Mark Friedman, who isn't very good (even at being physical; he's just a pest) and isn't exactly the coach's favorite; apparently we'd rather have Chad Ruhwedel out there.

The next-most physical d-man is Jusso Riikola, and he's in the AHL (the Pittsburgh coach REALLY isn't a fan of him). Everybody else aside from Letang is various bland flavors of vanilla, who get pushed around easily and pose no problem for other teams in our crease or if they want to simply bulldoze the goaltender.

Letang can play dirty (i.e. play "playoff hockey") when he wants to, but he almost never gets away with it and only responds after he's been provoked by the dirty play of Penguin opponents about 100 times. It's not tough to get under his skin when the refs swallow the whistles -- until Letang pushes back. He's too important to waste time sitting in the penalty box.

Hextall might not be able to get anyone as cheaply (#6 pick) as Hagg, but hopefully he can do better than Hagg. It shouldn't be all THAT difficult -- assuming Hextall even considers this to be an issue at all.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
image_2022-03-20_114734.png

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yep. We see depth guys flip around for this sort of stuff every year. And it's not like Buffalo doesn't get the benefit of having an additional free contract slot now since they have a number of collegiate players they'd like to get under contract and off their reserve list in the next few weeks.
Good point. Otherwise I couldn't help but think that Buffalo could have bluffed a bit to at least get a 4th, and at worst just not moved the guy, but maybe just the guaranteed contract slot made it worthwhile.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Absolutely terrible defenseman, just like Chiarot. But I guess he's big and strong.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
a 6th is nothing

FLA isn't going to win anything with Bob in net, but I respect them loading up on ex-Flyers

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Ummm, FLA didn't acquire him to replace Ekblad. He's depth, a 7/8 guy, which is exactly where he belongs.

Ffs, playoff teams do this every season. What's with all the "he sucks, press box, useless" posts? Nobody's giving him Norris votes.

Reactions: Laus723

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This is true. The most physical defenseman the Pens have is Mark Friedman, who isn't very good (even at being physical; he's just a pest) and isn't exactly the coach's favorite; apparently we'd rather have Chad Ruhwedel out there.

The next-most physical d-man is Jusso Riikola, and he's in the AHL (the Pittsburgh coach REALLY isn't a fan of him). Everybody else aside from Letang is various bland flavors of vanilla, who get pushed around easily and pose no problem for other teams in our crease or if they want to simply bulldoze the goaltender.

Letang can play dirty (i.e. play "playoff hockey") when he wants to, but he almost never gets away with it and only responds after he's been provoked by the dirty play of Penguin opponents about 100 times. It's not tough to get under his skin when the refs swallow the whistles -- until Letang pushes back. He's too important to waste time sitting in the penalty box.

Hextall might not be able to get anyone as cheaply (#6 pick) as Hagg, but hopefully he can do better than Hagg. It shouldn't be all THAT difficult -- assuming Hextall even considers this to be an issue at all.
Agree. I put letang as the most physical D but yoir point is valid. Some grit to clear the net would go a long way

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017

I remember when Florida was salty about Tampa activating Kucherov for Game 1 of the playoffs last year.

I'll be watching how they handle Ekblad very closely this year. Will be ready for a fanbase to eat crow.

Not like I care if they activate him Game 1 of the playoffs or not. It's just I fully expect fans to defend that action when they were so angry about the same action last year.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad