Fixing the Detroit Red Wings: A 7 Step Process

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
The fact this poster thinks Larkin should be put on a bridge deal is hilarious, though.

He has had three seasons of mixed results. I love the kid, I think hes going be great, but I would be worried shelling out 6 plus years around 5-6.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
what do you consider the beginning and end of a rebuild? Winnipeg would be a recent one.
I consider the acquisition and maturation of the core into being a regular playoff team.

Jets are around the 7 year mark. But at the same time their purgatory days in Atlanta helped accrue assets that got them where they were.

I think their rebuild has been going on since 1999.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I kinda feel Wings ownership is telling Holland to go for playoffs.
Sadly, any sense of reality & common sense from ownership left along with Mr. Ilitch.

So many things are needing to be done, and nobody is in a position in the front office to do something about that isn't either stuck in another reality or in their own ignorance (Blashill).

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Detroit has an easy choice to make, they’ve saddled themselves with so many bad contracts they don’t have much choice but to ride them out and rebuild.

2018/19:

• Tons of draft picks (6, 30/31, 33, 36, 67, 81, 84, 98, 159, 169, 191) should get a few talented players even if it’s pure luck.

• Extended Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Frk, Green (why not, free asset).

• Trade Howard, Nyquist at the deadline (more picks).

• Draft top 5-10, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds (plus whatever else they get from deadline deals).

• Nyquist, Kronwall, Howard, Jensen, Witkowski off the books (16.3M)

2019/20:

• Trade Daley at the deadline.

• Draft top 5-10.

• Franzen, Ericsson, Daley off the books (11.3M)

2020/21:

• Potential lockout year. Would actually be a good scenario for Detroit. May allow compliance buyouts of Abdelkader and Nielsen (9.5)

• If the season goes on deal Helm, Glendening at the deadline.

• Zetterburg, Helm, Glendening, Weiss off the books (13.2M)

• One last high draft pick.

2021/22:

Forwards: Larkin, Mantha, AA, Rasmussen, Bertuzzi, Frk, Svechnikov, Hronek, Nielsen*, Abdelkader*

Defencemen: DeKeyser, Choloski, Hicketts

Three high 1st, Vegas’s 2018 1st, five 2nd, six 3rd, any returns from future trades.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Detroit has an easy choice to make, they’ve saddled themselves with so many bad contracts they don’t have much choice but to ride them out and rebuild.

2018/19:

• Tons of draft picks (6, 30/31, 33, 36, 67, 81, 84, 98, 159, 169, 191) should get a few talented players even if it’s pure luck.

• Extended Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Frk, Green (why not, free asset).

• Trade Howard, Nyquist at the deadline (more picks).

• Draft top 5-10, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds (plus whatever else they get from deadline deals).

• Nyquist, Kronwall, Howard, Jensen, Witkowski off the books (16.3M)

2019/20:

• Trade Daley at the deadline.

• Draft top 5-10.

• Franzen, Ericsson, Daley off the books (11.3M)

2020/21:

• Potential lockout year. Would actually be a good scenario for Detroit. May allow compliance buyouts of Abdelkader and Nielsen (9.5)

• If the season goes on deal Helm, Glendening at the deadline.

• Zetterburg, Helm, Glendening, Weiss off the books (13.2M)

• One last high draft pick.

2021/22

Forwards: Larkin, Mantha, AA, Rasmussen, Bertuzzi, Frk, Svechnikov, Nielsen*, Abdelkader*

Defencemen: DeKeyser,

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I consider the acquisition and maturation of the core into being a regular playoff team.

Jets are around the 7 year mark. But at the same time their purgatory days in Atlanta helped accrue assets that got them where they were.

I think their rebuild has been going on since 1999.
the Jets did make the playoffs in 14-15 and then did a mini rebuild after that moving on from some players. Is there rebuild not complete if they don't make the playoffs next year?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Even Scotty Bowman on that NZT drug from that movie Limitless would struggle to get success out of a roster that has no discernable top line talent outside of maybe Larkin...
'

Great pop-culture reference.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The Red Wings are in deep trouble. They have one of the worst cap situations in the NHL,have a horrible prospect pool and have a GM who is pretending his team is still good enough for the playoffs. Here is how you fix this broken team.

1. Agree to part ways with long time GM Holland. As much as he has done for the Red Wings over the decades he has been the GM, it is time for some new blood in the system. He is too busy focusing on the past when the team needs to focus on the future. Hunter would be a great fit, as he has a fantastic draft history with the Leafs and was their prior Assistant GM.

2. Fire the entire coaching staff, and never speak of Jeff Blashill again. He is the worst coach in the NHL period. You could fight me on this, he is bottom tier. Grand Rapids was fantastic as soon as he left and even won the Calder Cup last year. I don't really have a coach in mind, but someone along the lines of younger with less experience would work better with a younger core the group should be focusing on.

3. Buyout Ericsson. Detorit has about 5 really bad contracts but Ericsson's sits up there at the worst. It isn't the highest but he is the most useless on the team. People like Abdelkader at least have value in being a team leader, and putting up some points. A buyout would cost them a bunch of years around One million dollars but free up 3 million in cap.

4. Use the 77-82 Million cap space to your advantage. If the cap is going up, spend it on your RFA's who need contracts. All Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Andreas Athanasiou should all be put on bridge deals as all of them could bust or kill it in two to three years. As for free agents there should be no activity from this team. There isn't a player coming to free agency that the Wings should target other than Taverse, but we all know he wont sign in Detroit. At most a back up goalie.

5. Part ways with alot of the team. People like Jared Coreau, Darren Helm, Frans Nielsen, Niklas Kronwall, Mike Green and dare I even say Zetterberg. The team needs a new sense of identity, build around the young team and ship out older guys. Granted moving people like Nielsen, Zetterberg and Abdelkader would be tough but I know there would be buyers for most. even if throwing in a late draft pick for teams to take them isn't a bad idea.

6. Don't trade the 6th overall pick and draft smart with what you have. The Red Wings have two first rounders, 2 second rounders and three third rounders in this up coming draft. Use them, this is one of the deepest drafts in memories and could be a fantastic year to stock up for the future. YOU DONT NEED TO TRADE DOWN. Don't pull a 2016 again.

7. Accept that the team needs a rebuild and do it properly. Its just as simple as that. The Rangers are a great example right now, fired their coaching staff, traded away key players for prospects and draft picks. They have accepted they must rebuild, and it has started off great with a huge amount of picks and prospects. If Detroit can just admit the same, have a couple bad years of rebuilding and r=drafting, i have no worry to say they can be a team that competes for the cup in the next 3-5 years.
1. Holland has signed some garbage contracts, that can't really be argued. The 2-year contract extension makes sense though. The guy has NEVER had the job of rebuilding or dealing with a non-playoff team. Give him a moment to attempt to "fix" the situation. Early results are promising. Wings have the most picks of any team in the upcoming draft (I believe), and many of those picks are high quality (first 2-3 rounds). He is saying the right things (focus on youth, no quick fix, no desperate attempt at playoffs etc), let's see how things turn out.

2. Not a fan of Blashill but I think Holland doesn't want the coaching position to become a circus like it's been on some other bad teams. Blash will start getting more talent soon enough and with that expectations for results will become greater.

3. Ericsson was actually solid last season, and Wings currently have no need for that cap space. Buy him out now and they save almost 3 mil, but pay around 1.5 mil for 2 years after his contract would have been over. PATIENCE.

4. Wings can afford their RFAs. No problem here.

5. Again, PATIENCE. The younger generation is coming, but it takes time. They will part ways with veterans as time goes on. Some will LTIR, some will just retire, some will be traded when their contracts make it easier.

6. Don't pull a 2016? You mean when they picked up two of their best prospects in Cholowski and Hronek? That said, there are always rumors of teams considering trading up or down. Wings will most likely stay put. Drafting smart goes without saying, you're not doing some revolutionary analysis here.

7. Detroit has accepted the rebuild, not sure how you can say any different. Wings had more picks than Rangers in '16, '17 and now in '18. And to be honest, other than Chytil the Rangers drafting isn't exactly looking amazing. Wings have a better track record in this regard. Wings are traditionally built way more on drafting than the Rangers who are always big FA players.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
1- I think they should just chill out for 5-10 seasons and just rebuild at a slow pace,
2- because I believe in 10+ years from now they'll become a super dominant team once again, but I believe better.
3- I also see them making the playoffs every odd year in the wild card spot between now and before they become dominant again. Sort of like how Calgary is now.

4- I mean they just got a new arena and amazing loyal fans down in the Motor City, but I have to admit that the fans need a rest.

1- An intentional decade long rebuild? Rebuilds take years, yes, but targeting a decade is crazy. In fact, the players you start the rebuild with will likely be more than halfway into their careers by that point.
2- Why? Based on what exactly? They have little to nothing going for them. What specifically about them tells you they'll be even better than super dominant? Is that even a thing?
3- This also doesn't lend well to the super dominant thing. If they have any chance at being super dominant in 10 years, they'll need a lot of lottery picks and making the playoffs every other year does not land you first overalls.
4- I can't speak for people I don't know, but I really doubt Detroit fans were relieved to see the Wings finally miss the playoffs. Anaheim, if you're reading this, I never need a rest ok? Please don't rebuild for a decade.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Holland has all these picks in the first 3 rounds for 2 years now but you think he isnt trying to rebuild.

I like how people believe words out of mouths rather than actions.

Truth is he handicapped himself with a bunch of NMC/NTC so he can't really sell everyone even if he wanted to.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Definitely do not give bridge deals to Larkin and Mantha. I have a feeling both could command $7.5+ if you put off their long term contract by a couple of years.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Love how everyone is worried about a franchise with the most regular season wins and Cup Finals appearances over a quarter century period. Detroit will be just fine, thank you very much.

The fact this poster thinks Larkin should be put on a bridge deal is hilarious, though.

Mhm, well they kinda suck now so this is pretty irrelevant. This would be like an Oiler fan in the late 2000's saying "people are worried about the team with the most cup wins in the last quarter century century lol."

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mhm, well they kinda suck now so this is pretty irrelevant.
It's irrelevant in the same way as it's irrelevant that Toronto sucked for a decade prior to getting Matthews, or how Chicago sucked for years, or Pittsburgh, or Winnipeg, or Columbus or.. or..
Wings had 11 picks last year, 11 picks this year, already 10 lined up for next year. 7 picks in the first 3 rounds this year, already 5 in those rounds next year.. first top 10 pick in decades last season, now at #6.. anyone talking about how they're not rebuilding or how they need to do something drastic is just overreacting. What they are is a team that was good for too long and now need some time to build up a pipeline of young talent, like every currently good team in the league did at some point when the Wings were in the playoffs each year.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
It's irrelevant in the same way as it's irrelevant that Toronto sucked for a decade prior to getting Matthews, or how Chicago sucked for years, or Pittsburgh, or Winnipeg, or Columbus or.. or..
Wings had 11 picks last year, 11 picks this year, already 10 lined up for next year. 7 picks in the first 3 rounds this year, already 5 in those rounds next year.. first top 10 pick in decades last season, now at #6.. anyone talking about how they're not rebuilding or how they need to do something drastic is just overreacting. What they are is a team that was good for too long and now need some time to build up a pipeline of young talent, like every currently good team in the league did at some point when the Wings were in the playoffs each year.

Right and that's all well and good but the post I replied to had nothing to do with where Detroit is or isn't in the rebuild, he simply cited past success as a reason why everyone was out to lunch, which I'm simply saying is not a particularly good argument.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Mhm, well they kinda suck now so this is pretty irrelevant. This would be like an Oiler fan in the late 2000's saying "people are worried about the team with the most cup wins in the last quarter century century lol."

Yep, they are in year one of a true rebuild. It'll take several more years to fully do a complete tear down and to begin moving forward. "The Red Wings are in deep trouble" is a completely idiotic comment. They are a decade away from becoming a true contender again.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Yeah...this plan is ridiculous

A. Our cap situation isn't that bad
B. Helm and Nielsen have ugly contracts but they're not as bad as people claim and while their contracts play out we'll be a work in progress
C. Green is a UFA July 1st and Z will probably go on LTIRetire after this year
D. B52 has two years left on his deal so buying him out is just stupid. Kronwall has one left and he could go on LTIR anyways

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
This is my best RW in current seat.

Goalies:

Coreau
Howard

Defense:

Daley
Ericsson
Jensen
Kronwall
Quellet
Klingberg

Offensive:

2019:
Svechnikov
Rasmussen

2020:
Mantha
Helm

2021:
Larkin
Kovalchuk

2022:
Nielsen

2028:
Booth
Barzal
Nyqvist
Abdelkader

2030:
Turgeon
Glendening

Meet my new team with you arms. Not perfectation forwards but are enough.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad