Fixing the Detroit Red Wings: A 7 Step Process

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
The Red Wings are in deep trouble. They have one of the worst cap situations in the NHL,have a horrible prospect pool and have a GM who is pretending his team is still good enough for the playoffs. Here is how you fix this broken team.

1. Agree to part ways with long time GM Holland. As much as he has done for the Red Wings over the decades he has been the GM, it is time for some new blood in the system. He is too busy focusing on the past when the team needs to focus on the future. Hunter would be a great fit, as he has a fantastic draft history with the Leafs and was their prior Assistant GM.

2. Fire the entire coaching staff, and never speak of Jeff Blashill again. He is the worst coach in the NHL period. You could fight me on this, he is bottom tier. Grand Rapids was fantastic as soon as he left and even won the Calder Cup last year. I don't really have a coach in mind, but someone along the lines of younger with less experience would work better with a younger core the group should be focusing on.

3. Buyout Ericsson. Detorit has about 5 really bad contracts but Ericsson's sits up there at the worst. It isn't the highest but he is the most useless on the team. People like Abdelkader at least have value in being a team leader, and putting up some points. A buyout would cost them a bunch of years around One million dollars but free up 3 million in cap.

4. Use the 77-82 Million cap space to your advantage. If the cap is going up, spend it on your RFA's who need contracts. All Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Andreas Athanasiou should all be put on bridge deals as all of them could bust or kill it in two to three years. As for free agents there should be no activity from this team. There isn't a player coming to free agency that the Wings should target other than Taverse, but we all know he wont sign in Detroit. At most a back up goalie.

5. Part ways with alot of the team. People like Jared Coreau, Darren Helm, Frans Nielsen, Niklas Kronwall, Mike Green and dare I even say Zetterberg. The team needs a new sense of identity, build around the young team and ship out older guys. Granted moving people like Nielsen, Zetterberg and Abdelkader would be tough but I know there would be buyers for most. even if throwing in a late draft pick for teams to take them isn't a bad idea.

6. Don't trade the 6th overall pick and draft smart with what you have. The Red Wings have two first rounders, 2 second rounders and three third rounders in this up coming draft. Use them, this is one of the deepest drafts in memories and could be a fantastic year to stock up for the future. YOU DONT NEED TO TRADE DOWN. Don't pull a 2016 again.

7. Accept that the team needs a rebuild and do it properly. Its just as simple as that. The Rangers are a great example right now, fired their coaching staff, traded away key players for prospects and draft picks. They have accepted they must rebuild, and it has started off great with a huge amount of picks and prospects. If Detroit can just admit the same, have a couple bad years of rebuilding and r=drafting, i have no worry to say they can be a team that competes for the cup in the next 3-5 years.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
7. Accept that the team needs a rebuild and do it properly. Its just as simple as that. The Rangers are a great example right now, fired their coaching staff, traded away key players for prospects and draft picks. They have accepted they must rebuild, and it has started off great with a huge amount of picks and prospects. If Detroit can just admit the same, have a couple bad years of rebuilding and r=drafting, i have no worry to say they can be a team that competes for the cup in the next 3-5 years.

If this is the case...

3. Buyout Ericsson. Detorit has about 5 really bad contracts but Ericsson's sits up there at the worst. It isn't the highest but he is the most useless on the team. People like Abdelkader at least have value in being a team leader, and putting up some points. A buyout would cost them a bunch of years around One million dollars but free up 3 million in cap.

Then there's not much reason to do this. His contract runs for 2 more years. If you're looking 3-5 years from now, why have needless dead future cap?

5. Part ways with alot of the team. People like Jared Coreau, Darren Helm, Frans Nielsen, Niklas Kronwall, Mike Green and dare I even say Zetterberg. The team needs a new sense of identity, build around the young team and ship out older guys. Granted moving people like Nielsen, Zetterberg and Abdelkader would be tough but I know there would be buyers for most. even if throwing in a late draft pick for teams to take them isn't a bad idea.

In all likelihood Zetterberg is done after next year. He's not chasing a Cup. It'll cost the Wings to get rid of him. He'll go on LTIR with a back injury and that'll be that. He, along with everyone else signing those contracts years ago, isn't playing for $1m per season. Kronwall has a year left. Maybe someone takes him at the deadline. Nielsen and Helm would cost a bit more than a late pick. Plus they have trade/movement clauses.

If you're building for half a decade from now, just ride out the bad contracts. There's no rush.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
The Red Wings are in deep trouble. They have one of the worst cap situations in the NHL,have a horrible prospect pool and have a GM who is pretending his team is still good enough for the playoffs. Here is how you fix this broken team.

1. Agree to part ways with long time GM Holland. As much as he has done for the Red Wings over the decades he has been the GM, it is time for some new blood in the system. He is too busy focusing on the past when the team needs to focus on the future. Hunter would be a great fit, as he has a fantastic draft history with the Leafs and was their prior Assistant GM.

2. Fire the entire coaching staff, and never speak of Jeff Blashill again. He is the worst coach in the NHL period. You could fight me on this, he is bottom tier. Grand Rapids was fantastic as soon as he left and even won the Calder Cup last year. I don't really have a coach in mind, but someone along the lines of younger with less experience would work better with a younger core the group should be focusing on.

4. Use the 77-82 Million cap space to your advantage. If the cap is going up, spend it on your RFA's who need contracts. All Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Andreas Athanasiou should all be put on bridge deals as all of them could bust or kill it in two to three years. As for free agents there should be no activity from this team. There isn't a player coming to free agency that the Wings should target other than Taverse, but we all know he wont sign in Detroit. At most a back up goalie.

6. Don't trade the 6th overall pick and draft smart with what you have. The Red Wings have two first rounders, 2 second rounders and three third rounders in this up coming draft. Use them, this is one of the deepest drafts in memories and could be a fantastic year to stock up for the future. YOU DONT NEED TO TRADE DOWN. Don't pull a 2016 again.

IMO. this is bang on, and as a Canuck fan, we should have done this earlier as well............it is painful, but not as painful as waking up one morning having had your veterans over ripen and no prospects in the cupboard..........

I have always liked the Wings....good luck!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they should just chill out for 5-10 seasons and just rebuild at a slow pace, because I believe in 10+ years from now they'll become a super dominant team once again, but I believe better. I also see them making the playoffs every odd year in the wild card spot between now and before they become dominant again. Sort of like how Calgary is now.

I mean they just got a new arena and amazing loyal fans down in the Motor City, but I have to admit that the fans need a rest.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Love how everyone is worried about a franchise with the most regular season wins and Cup Finals appearances over a quarter century period. Detroit will be just fine, thank you very much.

The fact this poster thinks Larkin should be put on a bridge deal is hilarious, though.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I have a couple things I disagree with.

but someone along the lines of younger with less experience would work better with a younger core the group should be focusing on.
Age shouldn't be a determining factor in who you hire as a coach. Less experience is never a positive. What you want is a developing coach, someone who is good at managing personnel and helping them develop long-term.

Buyout Ericsson.
Buyouts is what you do when you need cap space, if you do a rebuild then cap space is not a priority.

Use the 77-82 Million cap space to your advantage.
Detroit should use the cap space to their advantage, but not by giving larger contracts to younger players (I'd definitely do that with Larkin) and not by getting UFAs? So just to be clear, what you want them do is to acquire bad contracts to gain future assets? That's the only other way they can use the cap space, and it rhymes badly with you wanting to rid yourself of all bad contracts otherwise. Especially:

Part ways with alot of the team. People like Jared Coreau, Darren Helm, Frans Nielsen, Niklas Kronwall, Mike Green and dare I even say Zetterberg. The team needs a new sense of identity, build around the young team and ship out older guys. Granted moving people like Nielsen, Zetterberg and Abdelkader would be tough but I know there would be buyers for most. even if throwing in a late draft pick for teams to take them isn't a bad idea.
As a rebuilding team, you most definitely should not give away assets just to get rid of older guys. You ride them out, and you use them as insulation so that young guys can focus on their development rather than having to play heavy minutes carrying the team.

Don't trade the 6th overall pick and draft smart with what you have. The Red Wings have two first rounders, 2 second rounders and three third rounders in this up coming draft. Use them, this is one of the deepest drafts in memories and could be a fantastic year to stock up for the future. YOU DONT NEED TO TRADE DOWN. Don't pull a 2016 again.
Drafting and development is what's most important, but closing doors like that does no good. What if they consider the options they have at their spot as fairly equal to many others, and if they trade down they can target two of them? Trading down can often be a good idea.

I do not like Detroits drafting lately though. I would be worried heading into the draft.

If Detroit can just admit the same, have a couple bad years of rebuilding and r=drafting, i have no worry to say they can be a team that competes for the cup in the next 3-5 years.
To be honest, I don't think you are in for a quick rebuild. That tends to happen for teams that lack all depth, and can then bottom out and get talent that can come back up to support and surpass an elder core. A few bad years are inevitable, but you don't have that older group to insulate the younger guys coming up after that. Zetterberg will be gone by then, so it's Larkin of the current core. Mantha depending on how you value him. The rest is up to youngsters having to come up and succeed en masse, and that kind of rebuilds tend to take longer.

A big reason for why Leafs were quick from actually attempting a rebuild to where we are now is because when our flood of youngsters came up, they had Andersen, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, JvR, and Bozak there making sure that the youngsters could be eased into the league. Compare to Edmonton, where guys like Hall came in and had to carry the team because they were instantly the best players, and there was little depth to help them.

The target to emulate for you would be the Jets. Start from nothing, be patient, and continue to accumulate year after year until you can push an insane amount of talent into the lineup and run over the league.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think they should just chill out for 5-10 seasons and just rebuild at a slow pace, because I believe in 10+ years from now they'll become a super dominant team once again, but I believe better. I also see them making the playoffs every odd year in the wild card spot between now and before they become dominant again. Sort of like how Calgary is now.

I mean they just got a new arena and amazing loyal fans down in the Motor City, but I have to admit that the fans need a rest.
There is not a single franchise in the NHL that would be okay with being bad for 5-10 years. The ones that have done so (Oilers, Leafs, among others), did not do so intentionally.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
A big reason for why Leafs were quick from actually attempting a rebuild to where we are now is because when our flood of youngsters came up, they had Andersen, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, JvR, and Bozak there making sure that the youngsters could be eased into the league. Compare to Edmonton, where guys like Hall came in and had to carry the team because they were instantly the best players, and there was little depth to help them.

The target to emulate for you would be the Jets. Start from nothing, be patient, and continue to accumulate year after year until you can push an insane amount of talent into the lineup and run over the league.

That’s a very nice way of saying the Leafs were bad for years and while they may have not been trying to rebuild, they already had many top picks on the team and in the system. They already had half their core from rebuilding for years, even if they weren’t trying to. Detroit doesn’t have that and hopefully won’t have to go through such a long process.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Rebuilds should not take 5-10 years if done smartly/correctly.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Rebuilds should not take 5-10 years if done smartly/correctly.
They do take around 5 years, but after that 5 year point you likely already have most of your core in place that you hope to win with. The next few years are used to tinker with your roster to improve, or at least compliment, your core.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's really not this simple. Any team can tear everything down. Creating holes everywhere in an organization is pretty easy. It's also useless unless you can fill them with capable people. Getting rid of Holland is fine until you have to bring in someone better. Same with everyone else you get rid of. Plenty of teams try to tear everything down only to get nowhere

As for Hunter going to Detroit, I don't really see it to be honest. He has no real connection to Detroit, and I wouldn't be shocked if he wants to go back to focusing on the Knights

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That’s a very nice way of saying the Leafs were bad for years and while they may have not been trying to rebuild, they already had many top picks on the team and in the system. They already had half their core from rebuilding for years, even if they weren’t trying to. Detroit doesn’t have that and hopefully won’t have to go through such a long process.
Yes they did. Not denying that. I'm just saying that since you don't have that older group to support the transition back up again, you'll need to acquire more talent than you'd likely get in just a few years.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

OP, did you legit just wake from a 1 year coma?

Over the past two seasons, Holland has fleeced GM's in deals that gave the Red Wings 31 draft picks (16 of which were/are in the first 3 rounds...) for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 drafts. How is that being focused on the past? He hasn't made a "big" free agent signing since they missed the playoffs, and he hasn't made a deal for a deadline rental in 3 years and has been a seller at the last 3 deadlines.

I'll take a swing.

Blashills 3 seasons in GR:
12/13: 42 Wins, 92 points, won division, Calder Cup
13/14: 46 Wins, 99 points, eliminated in the 2nd round
14/15: 46 Wins, 100 points, won division, eliminated in 3rd round
134 Wins, 291 points, 2 division titles, 7 playoff rounds won, 1 Calder Cup

After Blashill:
15/16: 44 Wins, 90 points, eliminated in the 2nd round
16/17: 47 Wins, 100 points, Calder Cup
17/18: 42 Wins, 92 points, 1st round exit in playoffs
133 Wins, 283 points, no division titles, 5 playoff rounds won, 1 Calder Cup

What was so fantastic after he left? And if he's so terrible, why does he get chosen to coach the US national teams?

Was Blashill not young and inexperienced enough? Why do we want to go that route again? Even Scotty Bowman on that NZT drug from that movie Limitless would struggle to get success out of a roster that has no discernable top line talent outside of maybe Larkin...

This one's silly. Nielsens contract is the worst longterm since it takes him to 39YO. Ericsson has only two years left and he's been better of late when paired with Daley. If they can keep it up, maybe they can get something for him as a rental down the road rather than swallowing (another) ill advised cap penalty.

The part comparing him to Abdelkader is equally silly. So you hangout in the locker room before games to see what kind of leader Ericsson is?

As mentioned before, KH has already toned down the UFA signings. Daley and Witkowski were pretty minor last summer. Holland has already come out and said he'll possibly extend Green, sign a #2 goalie and then leave space open for Rasmussen and Svechnikov to make the team, as well as one young Dman (likely Hronek, Hicketts, Sulak or one that they draft).

Easier said than done. Most of those guys have NTC/NMCs and will be difficult to move even if they do include picks to sweeten the deal. And if we're focusing on the future, why do they want to throw away draft picks to open cap space that they aren't going to use?

As far as future identity, the Red Wings had 5 young forwards on the team last season (Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi and Frk), and Svechnikov and Rasmussen are likely to be regulars next season, They've also got their D contracts well sorted (Ouellet likely already gone, Jensen/Kronwall/Ericsson/Daley/Green (if he-signs for the reported 2 years) all off the books in the next 2 years) with guys like Hicketts, Hronek, Sulak, Cholowski, Sarijarvi likely to start coming in as those guys leave.

Kronwall and Zetterberg are likely going no where. They'd probably retire before packing up to go to another city.

You can gauge these kind of deals based on who is/isn't on the board. If they know a guy they want will still be available a couple picks after 6OA, why not leverage it to move a 2nd to a 1st or get an additional pick?

And what was so bad about 2016? They turned 16OA into 20OA and 53OA and used those picks to select the two best D prospects they've had in a long time... It's entirely possible that Hronek and Cholowski being regulars on the roster will have a much bigger impact than Chychrun by himself as well as what he's done so far as a Coyote...

They didn't write their fans a letter or gut the coaching staff, but hasn't Holland already stated they don't expect to compete for the next couple of seasons while they work on drafting and developing players? How do want them to "admit" what they've already admitted? Personally invite you to dinner to explain it? Have him show up to your front door with some Hot and Ready's so you can use NHL18 to show him how to rebuild properly? Have him go on 97.1 to admit guilt and then play it every morning at 9AM? Want them to completely tear the team down Oilers and Sabres style and suck for 10 years?

And the Rangers situation is apples to oranges. Of course they got a decent prospect/pick haul... The Red Wings don't have a McDonough, JT Miller or Rick Nash to trade. I would argue Holland has done rather well getting a 1st, 2 2nds, 6 3rds, swapping 5ths, and a 6th for a struggling Tatar, barely playing Jurco, Smith, Steve Ott, a garbage goalie in Mrazek, Vanek and a coming off a historically bad season Riley Sheahan.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So your plan is:

1. Fire the GM, coaches, and get rid of half the players.
2. ???
3. Rebuild complete!

So you have the same brilliant plan as every other fan. Thank you for taking the time to write it all out.

Reactions: The Red Line

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Wings do not need to buy anyone out just let these contracts expire. They will not make the playoffs so just acquire as many good draft picks as they can. By 2020 the majority of the bad money is gone and a slew of good young prospects will be ready to take the ice. Add a could quality FAs and your in business.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
step 1
draft lidstrom

step 2
draft datsyuk and zetterberg

step 3
circumvent the cap

Ad

Upcoming events