OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cardio can help lose weight, but unless done properly, it will not burn fat. Fat is the bodies way of storing extra glucose. Burning fat and burning calories is not the same thing. To burn calories, you burn readily available sugars in an effort to turn that work into muscle gains. However if you are exerting maximum effort, your body does not look at the fat storage and see readily available glucose. Your metabolism doesn't burn fat the same way it burns sugars.

We both generalize our understanding based on our life experience. You talk about feeling pudgy... Well if that's the case your fat may not be stored as lipids and may still be a glycogen. I won't get into too much biological talk, as it is not my field of expertise either. What I am experienced with is losing fat stored as lipids that have sat on my body for at least a decade that I wanted to lose. Getting on the cardio machine and doing HIIT will not burn fat, per se. Sure you will burn calories and in turn even burn some fat given that your body may be able to tap into the storage, but it's not the most effective way. I was going an hour on level 20 doing HIIT and my body wasn't losing any fat until I started reading about the "fat zone". Once I was able to put the two together, I figure out what worked for me. It also made me be very aware of my heart rate and I was able to bring it down from 190 BPM to 125 BPM in about a minute during my interval training. I started to focus more and more on my heart rate and the energy I exerted during the time that I knew what my heart rate was. I still did HIIT for performance, breathing benefits, but I stopped thinking if I go on the cardio machine and burn 1000 calories, that I was going to burn the fat in my spare tire.

You want to lose fat? It's all about diet. The body will not use fat to burn energy when you are stressing it. In fact if you stress the body with little to no energy, the likelihood that your body stores fat the next time you eat is high given your body is in defense mode given you just starved it. But this scenario is for a fat person, not for the regular person. We are all creatures of habit and my body is the same. If it is used to over eating and storing fat, if I starve my body, it will store fat to avoid starving. The way to burn the fat is to eat less, not starve, while doing exercise that allows the body to dig into that fat storage (fat zone heart rate).

I have read a lot of medical journals on the subject. I am not the expert in all this, but this is what I have understood and practiced. Again this is for someone who is EXTREMELY overweight, like I was. I do not know what works for the body of someone who should be 180 lbs and is at 190 lbs trying to lose 10 lbs. I know that for me as a 300 lbs 16 year old, by the time I was 22, I was 215 lbs. Changing eating habits, regular workouts with cardio and weight training. It always depends on the focus of the person.
I think you're making the mistake of applying what worked for you to a general mass scale.
Being 300lbs at 16 ain't exactly normal so you likely had to deal with hormonal issues with a metabolism pretty out of whack.

I dont necessarily disagree though, whether it's weight gain or loss, nutrition is by far the more important factor.
You can lose weight just fine focused on a cardio heavy training. You can also do it lifting weights.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So you don't understand what I said, you haven't read about it, and yet you think you're going to tell me I don't know what I am talking about?

The fact of the matter is simple: If you exercise with a high heart rate, your body is burning readily available sugars to sustain that level of effort. Your body does not have the time to breakdown your fat stored as lipids to be made available for exercise routine. Fat does not burn like sugar. It's basic chemistry. This is why experts talk about fat burning zone, where the body isn't suffocating to burn energy looking for readily available sugar.

You are not looking at this situation from the point of view of a fat person. You are looking at this from the point of view of a person who exercises regularly and had a moment of inactivity. It's very important to recognize the difference as the way the body transforms sugars into fat is different.

I understand what you are saying, and I understand that the science (Even if it is science, Im not sure theres actual correalation but Id have to check when I have time, my guess is that there is a relation between BPM and endurance levels for most people, and those probably vary by incredible numbers) is outdated, the "FaT zOne" is probably another marketing fad thing and isn't actual and the science has moved further from this.

I also understand basic biology, thanks.

Edit: Anyway were getting OT, the point at the start was that cardio does help to lose fat, theres no way around it, you said the opposite in the orginal post of the other thread.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
@CrAzYNiNe Don't overthink it. From my perspective, if you can't run 10kms, then just work your way to being able to do that. Or to 5k, if that's the first milestone. You will lose some weight doing that. The whole idea of optimizing it and all that is just noise. If you can't run for 1 hour without stopping, the training you will do to get to that point will have an impact on your fitness levels and your weight. Yes nutrition is more important, but if you aren't in good shape yet, then the training will also make a difference. Once you are in better condition, the benefits from a weight loss perspective will go down, and nutrition becomes more important, but it takes time to make lifestyle changes, and it doesn't work if you try to do too much, too fast.

(I say "you" in this context, but I don't know where you specifically are at currently, so it's just to be used in the general sense, not directed at you)

I used to be quite overweight. I started training to run 5kms, and it took me about 2 months, running 3x a week. From just this, and no diet changes, I lost a good 25 lbs easy. Once I started the diet changes, I lost a total of 65 lbs or so, in about 6 months total (the next 4 months, I was running 5-10kms each time, 3x per week).

The weight loss was great but the improvement to my fitness was better.

As for heart rate, I never even bothered to check it until I started specifically heart rate training for a half marathon. Over a 21k run, I will maintain an average heartrate of about 165-175 bpm over the course of 1:45-2:00.

Reactions: QuebecPride

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Really don't want another running season going down the drain this year... lost a lot of wait on my own last year getting back intro trail running etc, had a nice race calender planned out for this spring summer fall

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man I have no strengrh at all. I wonder if my testosterone levels could be down. I have no energy and lifting literally hurts. I just deloaded and I feel like Ive skipped a deload.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Man I have no strengrh at all. I wonder if my testosterone levels could be down. I have no energy and lifting literally hurts. I just deloaded and I feel like Ive skipped a deload.

Stress and sleep levels?
Nutrition?
Alcohol/drugs?
Fatigue level?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Stress and sleep levels?
Nutrition?
Alcohol/drugs?
Fatigue level?
Im on crack and meth but thats not it.

No seriously basically everything has been the same for a while, Im on top of my nutrition, I get the same sleep so around 7-8, I am somewhat stressed from school but thats no different than it always has been.

It seems like Ive hit a wall ever since I tried going for my 600 DL two-ish months ago. I thought it may have been overtraining, but now I dont know.

Ive been really moody too.

Maybe its depression

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Im on crack and meth but thats not it.

No seriously basically everything has been the same for a while, Im on top of my nutrition, I get the same sleep so around 7-8, I am somewhat stressed from school but thats no different than it always has been.

It seems like Ive hit a wall ever since I tried going for my 600 DL two-ish months ago. I thought it may have been overtraining, but now I dont know.

Ive been really moody too.

Maybe its depression
Process of elimination. ;)

Well, overtraining messes up your hormonal balance, that can lead to depression...so it might all be connected.

Take some time off from training, not just a deload, and change the regimen entirely when you get back to it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Process of elimination. ;)

Well, overtraining messes up your hormonal balance, that can lead to depression...so it might all be connected.

Take some time off from training, not just a deload, and change the regimen entirely when you get back to it.
I did just that! For two weeks i didnt lift at all, then coming back I went into a hypertrophy phase but my stength is down like 75%. I could so 20ish pull ups straight and now I struggle with 6 or 7

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I did just that! For two weeks i didnt lift at all, then coming back I went into a hypertrophy phase but my stength is down like 75%. I could so 20ish pull ups straight and now I struggle with 6 or 7

Maybe you should go for a check up mate.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Today is

Tabata format (20 sec on/10 sec off x 8sets)
Push ups (pike push ups if you can)
mountain climbers

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Today is

Tabata format (20 sec on/10 sec off x 8sets)
Push ups (pike push ups if you can)
mountain climbers

If you want a good shoulder burn...man that was a good one. Shoulders are even popping through an oversize hoodie....or maybe it's just in my head.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ya but that's cuz you suck at cardio.....and hockey. ;)
I really do lmao. My cardio is freaking terrible and my skating is a shadow of its former self. I used to be able to skate with Q players in my best days, now I have trouble with kids outside :laugh:

Still have some decent straight line speed though, I rarely ever meet someone that I cant powermove a la Anderson.

Ill start playing hockey on sundays soon, its going to be good for my cardio.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just an fyi for those doing cardio outside during winter since the gyms are closed...

Why winter exercise can be especially hard on the lungs | CBC News
Thanks for the info. I guess I've been lucky so far, having been running outside 4/5 times a week throughout this winter without anything worse than a few random coughs. We also haven't had too many extreme cold days. I remember only about six or seven runs in -12 or worse. Hopefully this is the only year I have to deal with gyms being closed and dealing with Montreal winters. I'm getting too old for this shit...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I really do lmao. My cardio is freaking terrible and my skating is a shadow of its former self. I used to be able to skate with Q players in my best days, now I have trouble with kids outside :laugh:

Still have some decent straight line speed though, I rarely ever meet someone that I cant powermove a la Anderson.

Ill start playing hockey on sundays soon, its going to be good for my cardio.

My cardio must be embarrassingly bad right now. I do jumping jacks, lateral hops and burpees at home but it's really not comparable to what I'd do on an assault bike or rower. I can't wait man...this f***ing shit.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My cardio must be embarrassingly bad right now. I do jumping jacks, lateral hops and burpees at home but it's really not comparable to what I'd do on an assault bike or rower. I can't wait man...this f***ing shit.
Ive been doing a lot of skipping to keep a minimum level for BJJ, I really cant wait to smash mofos again.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Thanks for the info. I guess I've been lucky so far, having been running outside 4/5 times a week throughout this winter without anything worse than a few random coughs. We also haven't had too many extreme cold days. I remember only about six or seven runs in -12 or worse. Hopefully this is the only year I have to deal with gyms being closed and dealing with Montreal winters. I'm getting too old for this shit...
I've been lucky since the Condo building where I live kept the gym open throughout winter so I have been running 5x/week on a treadmill + weight training... you're more courageous than I am, kudos to you.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Jeez you tell me, the first time I went at it i was breathing fire.
Ya..
61kYBC0h%2BkL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I would use this for my cardio at times, carries, flips, drags...it was pretty good, and fun. But nothing compares to grappling/wrestling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad