OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The people who cut calories did lose weight, but eventually that switched entirely to they're being less active and having lower metabolism.

Hunger seems to have only increased among the heavier participants.
I think in order for this to work and be sustainable you have to be lifting and building muscle as well. Ultimately calories in vs calories out is the way, but to be sustainable I think you need to build muscle to increase your metabolism. There’s only so far you can go with calorie restrictions alone, but it does work and is a key piece to the puzzle. When I’m cutting I reduce my calories by 250-500 per day and lift, get adequate protein and nothing else. Works every time. Lately I’ve been doing cardio for lack of better options, but had my first day back at the gym yesterday. Felt so good to squat some damn weight.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nice Hoist bench there.

The rack tho will not last heavy lifts, its probably not balanced well , but should be enough for under 200lbs lifts
Ive lifted on glued up screwed in 2x4s for almost a year, his rack will be more than fine.

I was comfortable up to 350ish pounds with 2x4s.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Man going from squatting over 400 pounds to struggling with 100 lbs overnight is very rough. Also my knee hurts as f***.

At this point I dont really care for the weight on the bar but Id like to at least not hurt from everywhere.
Jesus man, this doesn’t seem at all normal. Overtraining or not. 400-100lbs? You need to see the Doc bro.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jesus man, this doesn’t seem at all normal. Overtraining or not. 400-100lbs? You need to see the Doc bro.
I did lol, I blew out my back warming up squats with 135 lbs.

He said I had a minor sprain/strain and they discovered a scoliosis and left hip arthrosis.

I saw an ergo and he gave me a few exercises.

My back is much better now to be honest, still a bit tentative to load up too much so Ill do hypertrophy work for the next two months, anyway its summer and Im single, cant look too bear-ish.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I did lol, I blew out my back warming up squats with 135 lbs.

He said I had a minor sprain/strain and they discovered a scoliosis and left hip arthrosis.

I saw an ergo and he gave me a few exercises.

My back is much better now to be honest, still a bit tentative to load up too much so Ill do hypertrophy work for the next two months, anyway its summer and Im single, cant look too bear-ish.
Good luck bro. I’m not super familiar with scoliosis. This going to limit your training going forward? You’ve got me curious now. I’ve to do some reading.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Good luck bro. I’m not super familiar with scoliosis. This going to limit your training going forward? You’ve got me curious now. I’ve to do some reading.
Its a curve in the spine from left to right (s shape). Ive most likely had this my whole life and it is probably a limiting factor. The arthrosis is just overuse.

Lamar Gant and Heather Connor were both world champs powerlifters with severe scoliosis so Im not going to make any excuses.

Heres lamar gant

images.jpeg

Mine is nowhere near as bad, luckily.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Its a curve in the spine from left to right (s shape). Ive most likely had this my whole life and it is probably a limiting factor. The arthrosis is just overuse.

Lamar Gant and Heather Connor were both world champs powerlifters with severe scoliosis so Im not going to make any excuses.
Makes sense, I hate to see anyone who is serious about training not be able to train for something out of their control. There are plenty of able bodied ppl that have no desire to lift/train. Although I do think this has shifted quite a bit in the last decade.

I remember growing up there was like one gym in town and only a very limited group was going there. I went to Kingston for military training in 97 and the amount of people out running and working out was completely different than what I was use to in Saint John. I think we were probably 5-10 years behind. Now all the gyms are packed and you see runners everyday on the commute to work etc.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Makes sense, I hate to see anyone who is serious about training not be able to train for something out of their control. There are plenty of able bodied ppl that have no desire to lift/train. Although I do think this has shifted quite a bit in the last decade.

I remember growing up there was like one gym in town and only a very limited group was going there. I went to Kingston for military training in 97 and the amount of people out running and working out was completely different than what I was use to in Saint John. I think we were probably 5-10 years behind. Now all the gyms are packed and you see runners everyday on the commute to work etc.
Im able to train, just not as extreme as I did the prior few years. Sucks because I was really close to finally deadlifting 600 pounds but eh, maybe in another lifetime, lol!

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Im able to train, just not as extreme as I did the prior few years. Sucks because I was really close to finally deadlifting 600 pounds but eh, maybe in another lifetime, lol!
600lbs would definitely be in another lifetime for me lol. It’s funny because I can squat with near perfect form. It’s just one of those movements that is ideal for my body type/height etc, but I have never been overly comfortable deadlifting. At first I thought it was too much weight on the bar etc, but even if the bar is empty I don’t feel right or look right. I had a buddy with me who has excellent form coaching me and I just can’t seem to nail it down. I don’t know if at my age I just feel self conscious about practicing it in front of ppl or what. I have switched to the hex bar and it’s a completely different lift, but I am content. Maybe some day I’ll go wee hours in the morning and work on it when the gym is empty.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Nice Hoist bench there.

The rack tho will not last heavy lifts, its probably not balanced well , but should be enough for under 200lbs lifts

Thanks.

But lol. 200 pounds. I've put 315 pounds on it and it didn't buldge. I've seen people online with the same squatting almost 500 pounds on that rack, seemingly without any problem. It has been tested up to 700 pounds. I'm not worrying a bit about that. Not at the weight I lift (< 400 pounds).

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Id advise going for the rogue hole patterns, you can do so many things with this. Rogue racks are overpriced so going with something else is good but go for that pattern.

A four post cage

Last edited:
Reactions: MSLs absurd thighs

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Id advise going for the rogue hole patterns, you can do so many things with this. Rogue racks are overpriced so going with something else is good but go for that pattern.

A tour post cage

I would also advocate for that. So many accessories possible. That's one thing I would do differently if I were to do it again. Even though I love my stuff.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Haven’t touched a barbell in nearly 15 months lol

still pretty ripped from my jail workouts at least. Handstand push-ups went from a daydream to a reality because of covid.

Also anyone see Alpha Destiny benched 405 at 185? Pretty impressive.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
We just bought a much bigger house in the suburbs, so my tiny home gym (which was basically a power rack) just got a huge upgrade.

Honestly don't know what I'll do with all this new space. My schedule got so much lighter now that covid is calmer too, so I've even had time to work out.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was out running a few weeks back, nothing crazy, just to blow off some steam. Afterwards felt some weird discomfort/palpitations and checked my heart rate. Heart was "skipping" beats if that makes any sense. This continued for hours and eventually I went to the ER. They monitored me, blood tests, etc... and they did see the "skipping" but said it was actually my heart beating an extra beat, which threw off the rhythm. They scheduled me for follow up tests but said this is pretty common and given all my other tests were fine, it's probably nothing to worry about. But honestly, I haven't been able to work up the courage to run again, it just freaked me out too much. I have been doing brisk walks for 1 hour each day instead, by the end I actually have worked up a bit of a sweat (around 7.5-8km or so) and it's going ok. But just way too freaked out until I see the doctor again to try running. I do a lot of heart rate training and I have never noticed this happening before, so it's definitely weird to me.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Got my *** handed to me at my first ultra race (50k) this weekend, trail/mountains in Outaouais are nothing compared to what I've seen in the Parc National de la Mauricie on Saturday

Lesson learned

Reactions: angusyoung

One

Sep 18, 2007
Montreal
Got my *** handed to me at my first ultra race (50k) this weekend, trail/mountains in Outaouais are nothing compared to what I've seen in the Parc National de la Mauricie on Saturday

Lesson learned

Lesson learned, but you are probably already looking for the next one!

At my first ultra (53K and 3K elevation), at one point, I had to lay down in the ski slope to take a break. No ski slope to practice in Laval. Next thing you know, I was looking to signup for my next Ultra.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Lesson learned, but you are probably already looking for the next one!

At my first ultra (53K and 3K elevation), at one point, I had to lay down in the ski slope to take a break. No ski slope to practice in Laval. Next thing you know, I was looking to signup for my next Ultra.
Yes... actually I signed up for the new 21k trail race in Rigeau this morning lol.

I always let myself have a ''pity party'' day , that was yesterday. Legs are still trashed but I was able to go for a long walk today and I feel better. Will rest for the week.

Good thing is now I know what to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad