OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Haven't squatted a barbell in over 2 months...
I'm still curling 50s for 20 reps though, so there's that...but shit is way too light for my rows and floor pressing. My gas tank empties out before my muscles.
Doing freaking jumping jacks and push ups....it's so freaking boring. If we aren't going into lockdown, they better open in January, this is ridiculous.
Everyone I know has put on weight. Pretty horrible job from our leaders to provide adequate training alternatives.
Yeah, it sucks. Running outside has been okay so far, but I haven't had to face sub-zero temps and ice on the roads. I've already cut down my weekly mileage because I don't enjoy the swishing with every stride in heavy sweatpants.

As for upper strength, all I can do is pushups. I used to do machine weights in the gym, but after months without them my lower back is feeling weaker and tight. The goal wasn't to get big, I was just trying to stay toned and support my core, but with no equipment I'm starting to feel those old-man symptoms creeping in.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah, it sucks. Running outside has been okay so far, but I haven't had to face sub-zero temps and ice on the roads. I've already cut down my weekly mileage because I don't enjoy the swishing with every stride in heavy sweatpants.

As for upper strength, all I can do is pushups. I used to do machine weights in the gym, but after months without them my lower back is feeling weaker and tight. The goal wasn't to get big, I was just trying to stay toned and support my core, but with no equipment I'm starting to feel those old-man symptoms creeping in.
Ya it's definitely creeping im sure. Even I feel juat weaker on my feet. Having solid workouts at home just with bodyweight is challenging. Space isn't conducive to training and it gets boring fast.

Trying hard to do a minimum though but I still lost so much.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Everyone i know has bought a home gym and is making sick gains :)
That's the frustrating part of not having equipment and gyms being closed. There's literally nothing else to do, focusing on training becomes much easier.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So how y'all doing?

Got back from a run in -5C with a little wind. I thought running outside this time of year would be torture, but so far it's not. The New Balance windbreaker jacket my mother-in-law got me is awesome, and regular track pants and shoes are fine. Only part that feels cold is my face. Tick tock... I doubt I'll be able to keep this up once there's snow on the ground, but until then...

I'm way older than everyone else here, so if I can do it you can too.

Reactions: LeHab

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So how y'all doing?

Got back from a run in -5C with a little wind. I thought running outside this time of year would be torture, but so far it's not. The New Balance windbreaker jacket my mother-in-law got me is awesome, and regular track pants and shoes are fine. Only part that feels cold is my face. Tick tock... I doubt I'll be able to keep this up once there's snow on the ground, but until then...

How's the running now? lol..jesus I hate this weather.

I can't recall the last time I was so out of shape. I've had poor and inconsistent phases before where I have no set structure..workout twice per week at a lot intensity, but never felt so pathetically out of shape. I didn't lose all my strength at least but I really need the gyms to open after these holidays because it's seriously embarrassing.
I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible because of the lack of equipment, I'm going with a german volume training template.
Using my pair of 50s dumbbells...did 10 sets of 10 of Bent over rows, and 10 sets of 6 of seated shoulder press.

Strongly doubt I'll keep it up because it's boring as hell and if I'm already saying that, not a good sign.
Hoping I can use this two weeks before xmas to get going a bit so I can continue with more time during lockdown.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
How's the running now? lol..jesus I hate this weather.

I can't recall the last time I was so out of shape. I've had poor and inconsistent phases before where I have no set structure..workout twice per week at a lot intensity, but never felt so pathetically out of shape. I didn't lose all my strength at least but I really need the gyms to open after these holidays because it's seriously embarrassing.
I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible because of the lack of equipment, I'm going with a german volume training template.
Using my pair of 50s dumbbells...did 10 sets of 10 of Bent over rows, and 10 sets of 6 of seated shoulder press.

Strongly doubt I'll keep it up because it's boring as hell and if I'm already saying that, not a good sign.
Hoping I can use this two weeks before xmas to get going a bit so I can continue with more time during lockdown.
Lol... I came online to announce how badass I am and just saw your post. Okay man, I am about to go for a run in -17C. Serious cold. No idea how long I'll go, but this is me psyching myself up...

... or maybe I should do some laundry. Just in case...

On your end, I don't how effective it is to substitute equipment, but as long as you're engaging the muscle groups you shouldn't lose much, right? Pushups instead of presses, bands instead of free weights, that kind of thing. Like you said, the biggest challenge is boredom and a worse environment.

Okay, I'm stalling. Goddamm... here we go...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lol... I came online to announce how badass I am and just saw your post. Okay man, I am about to go for a run in -17C. Serious cold. No idea how long I'll go, but this is me psyching myself up...

... or maybe I should do some laundry. Just in case...

On your end, I don't how effective it is to substitute equipment, but as long as you're engaging the muscle groups you shouldn't lose much, right? Pushups instead of presses, bands instead of free weights, that kind of thing. Like you said, the biggest challenge is boredom and a worse environment.

Okay, I'm stalling. Goddamm... here we go...

That's not how it works unfortunately. Doing 100 push ups isn't necessarily going to lead to increased strength, especially not for someone used to lifting ''heavy'' weights.
You could develop some good strength with bodyweight but that entails more advanced gymnastics and again, no equipment or space for that.

Like I said a while back, what messes me up the most is the environment. It's built for comfort and relaxation, not training.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Since this whole pandemic started, and the gyms have closed, I've been on this HIIT training kick. For those who want to exercise at home, I've been following BullyJuice on YouTube and I think he's awesome. Since last January, I've lost 35 pounds (from 195 pounds to 160 pounds, I'm 5 foot 9) and I've never been in better shape. I started with the 10 minute workouts, and gradually improved to 20 and 30 minutes. Now I'm doing between 40-60 minutes.

Anyways, all that to say that there's no excuse for those who want to lose weight or get into better shape.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Since this whole pandemic started, and the gyms have closed, I've been on this HIIT training kick. For those who want to exercise at home, I've been following BullyJuice on YouTube and I think he's awesome. Since last January, I've lost 35 pounds (from 195 pounds to 160 pounds, I'm 5 foot 9) and I've never been in better shape. I started with the 10 minute workouts, and gradually improved to 20 and 30 minutes. Now I'm doing between 40-60 minutes.

Anyways, all that to say that there's no excuse for those who want to lose weight or get into better shape.

Good for you mate, keep it up!

The no excuse expression needs to be flushed down the shitter though. It's very easy telling others there's no excuse when you're doing something you like and works for you.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I know I have a good home gym and there's zero excuses. I have been slacking bigtime. Between work and childcare it's just a 24/7 grind and the stress just kills any motivation I have.

I was in a good place a few months back, though nowhere near where I used to be. I kept injuring myself because, I think I just need trying to push myself back to the level I used to be at. This just frustrates me and the constant stopping for injuries makes getting into a groove very difficult.

Meanwhile my habits have been going to shit. Drinking too much. Eating too much garbage. I keep telling myself I'll fix it but then weeks go by of over-indulgence and now I think I'm in a bad place.

IBS has never been this bad. Cardio fitness is as bad as it's ever been. Working from home all the time, you don't realize how much of a hit your fitness will take. The 2km walk to the metro (and back) every day, plus walking from the metro to my office, walking around the office to see people, etc... I did not realize how much this added up.

I just feel like shit. My mental health is suffering too, with my anxiety spiking. I'm at the point where I worry something is wrong with me, health wise, though I am hoping this is just anxiety coupled with being out of shape compared to before.

Have not gained any weight, but definitely feel weaker and heavier. Thinking I lost some muscle and gained some in the beer belly (though, it's not too bad). I don't know if this is the anxiety or what, but lately I have been super preoccupied with my heart and blood pressure. Took a few readings today and my BP was really high. I had it taken at the doctor's recently in September and again in November and nobody said anything so I assume it was fine. I'm going in to see my doctor again this week to discuss.

Today I did one of those spinning video things on my wife's bike. I've never tried spinning and generally I dislike cycling (always been a runner). But definitely worked up a good sweat so that felt good.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I know I have a good home gym and there's zero excuses. I have been slacking bigtime. Between work and childcare it's just a 24/7 grind and the stress just kills any motivation I have.

I was in a good place a few months back, though nowhere near where I used to be. I kept injuring myself because, I think I just need trying to push myself back to the level I used to be at. This just frustrates me and the constant stopping for injuries makes getting into a groove very difficult.

Meanwhile my habits have been going to shit. Drinking too much. Eating too much garbage. I keep telling myself I'll fix it but then weeks go by of over-indulgence and now I think I'm in a bad place.

IBS has never been this bad. Cardio fitness is as bad as it's ever been. Working from home all the time, you don't realize how much of a hit your fitness will take. The 2km walk to the metro (and back) every day, plus walking from the metro to my office, walking around the office to see people, etc... I did not realize how much this added up.

I just feel like shit. My mental health is suffering too, with my anxiety spiking. I'm at the point where I worry something is wrong with me, health wise, though I am hoping this is just anxiety coupled with being out of shape compared to before.

Have not gained any weight, but definitely feel weaker and heavier. Thinking I lost some muscle and gained some in the beer belly (though, it's not too bad). I don't know if this is the anxiety or what, but lately I have been super preoccupied with my heart and blood pressure. Took a few readings today and my BP was really high. I had it taken at the doctor's recently in September and again in November and nobody said anything so I assume it was fine. I'm going in to see my doctor again this week to discuss.

Today I did one of those spinning video things on my wife's bike. I've never tried spinning and generally I dislike cycling (always been a runner). But definitely worked up a good sweat so that felt good.

Imagine the people who don't even have much equipment at home..
I've never been this out of shape in my life. Ever. I've always indulged in some bad things, booze, drugs, junk food, because I'm a social night owl, despite working in the fitness industry. Work hard play hard. I would always sweat it out in the gym and playing sports.
That was taken away back in March, put on 15 lbs...6 bottles of wine per week, a bottle of gin or whiskey, bunch of joints, ton of junk food. I bought a few things to train with in the driveway as the weather was getting nicer around May, but was very inconsistent.
Summer came back around and was able to get things back in order training 6 days per week, spending about 2h for each session. That's over 100 hours worth of training before they locked things down again, was making some great gains after putting in all that effort again, and then they shut crap down again in October. Off the wagon I go again, but this time I can't even do that minimum outdoor training in the driveway because of the f***ing winter.

They really should let gyms open up but operate on a strict schedule with limited users.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just fix your issues and stop making excuses.

Here I said it.

Im in the best shape of my life and the strongest Ive ever been at 220 lbs flat right now.

You two are great dudes, get you shit together kings, I have trust in you. Be the alphas youre supposed to be.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Imagine the people who don't even have much equipment at home..
I've never been this out of shape in my life. Ever. I've always indulged in some bad things, booze, drugs, junk food, because I'm a social night owl, despite working in the fitness industry. Work hard play hard. I would always sweat it out in the gym and playing sports.
That was taken away back in March, put on 15 lbs...6 bottles of wine per week, a bottle of gin or whiskey, bunch of joints, ton of junk food. I bought a few things to train with in the driveway as the weather was getting nicer around May, but was very inconsistent.
Summer came back around and was able to get things back in order training 6 days per week, spending about 2h for each session. That's over 100 hours worth of training before they locked things down again, was making some great gains after putting in all that effort again, and then they shut crap down again in October. Off the wagon I go again, but this time I can't even do that minimum outdoor training in the driveway because of the f***ing winter.

They really should let gyms open up but operate on a strict schedule with limited users.

I kind of brushed this off but now I am seeing the impacts of going from a solid fitness routine to nothing, and it's both physically and mentally destroying me. Of course, the bad habits don't help. Getting high blood pressure readings today has really f***ed with my head. I have always had good blood pressure, even when I was a fatso in my early 20s who didn't do any fitness at all. Now it's high after just a few months of nothing? I really hope this is just stress because otherwise I dunno what to do. It's a vicious cycle, I need to work out to feel good, but I feel like shit so I don't work out.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Here I said it.

Im in the best shape of my life and the strongest Ive ever been at 220 lbs flat right now.

You two are great dudes, get you shit together kings, I have trust in you. Be the alphas youre supposed to be.

They're not excuses. They are reasons. An important nuance to understand.

Life ain't built on fortune cookie one liners. I know myself and what I need to do. It's just not going to happen at home.

Reactions: Andrei79

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I kind of brushed this off but now I am seeing the impacts of going from a solid fitness routine to nothing, and it's both physically and mentally destroying me. Of course, the bad habits don't help. Getting high blood pressure readings today has really f***ed with my head. I have always had good blood pressure, even when I was a fatso in my early 20s who didn't do any fitness at all. Now it's high after just a few months of nothing? I really hope this is just stress because otherwise I dunno what to do. It's a vicious cycle, I need to work out to feel good, but I feel like shit so I don't work out.

I don't have a problem with motivation because I actually love to train. Just like someone passionate about hockey doesn't have to find some motivation to play the sport. I'll happily train, but with close to no equipment and space, it ain't gonna happen.
I'm hoping ice rings get set up soon and I'll get moving but then...I haven't sharpened my skates in 6 years so...probably won't be able to do much.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Don't read into it too much if it's a single outlying reading. Stress can mess with this quite a bit and blood pressure cycles up and down even within a single day.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Here I said it.

aa1.png

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They're not excuses. They are reasons. An important nuance to understand.

Life ain't built on fortune cookie one liners. I know myself and what I need to do. It's just not going to happen at home.
Brother you literally just listed bunch of excuses as reasons, put up or shut up.

Youre allowed to be depressed and down, youre allowed to not make it, youre allowed to fail, but youre in control of your shit.

Im squatting in my parents garage right now, my friend set up a home gym in his bedroom, another one of my friend actually leases a warehouse just to be able to train.

If money is tight theres also solutions, like running, hiking, etc.

Drinking, binging and smoking aint it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Don't read into it too much if it's a single outlying reading. Stress can mess with this quite a bit and blood pressure cycles up and down even within a single day.

My solace is that my BP was good in September and good again in mid-November. I don't think it makes sense for it suddenly to be high after just a month and a half of over indulgence.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Brother you literally just listed bunch of excuses as reasons, put up or shut up.

Youre allowed to be depressed and down, youre allowed to not make it, youre allowed to fail, but youre in control of your shit.

Im squatting in my parents garage right now, my friend set up a home gym in his bedroom, another one of my friend actually leases a warehouse just to be able to train.

If money is tight theres also solutions, like running, hiking, etc.

Drinking, binging and smoking aint it.

Drinking and Binging has always been part of life, that has nothing to do with not training.
Hey that's great, you can squat. If I had a rack downstairs or in a garage with a leveled floor, I'd love to squat. Not my reality.
I used a chair to do seated shoulder presses but I ended up breaking it because the weight is too heavy. Can't stand up because I touch the ceiling when extending arms.
I would use two chairs to hold my barbell in the driveway and do some floor presses but again, broke them chairs, driveway full of slow and wet, and there's always a car inside in the garage. Also almost ruined my shoulder putting down the barbell on those chairs.

This put up or shut up attitude is just a BS cliche. Maybe to some, fine. If you have a pretty decent set up that you built to train at home but aren't doing it, well, fine. That ain't my case. Been training for 25 years, working in that industry for over a decade, a little pep talk telling me I gotta stop excuses isn't going to work.
I do a minimum. Have a set of 50s that I use and do GVT format of training, but it's nowhere near sufficient, it ain't fun, and there's a million distraction at home.

Appreciate the attempt, but I ain't no noob looking for excuses to eat my bag of doritos and stay on my ass all day.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sounds like you like the social aspect of training more than actually training Kriss, that may be why I cant relate too much. I hate people so Im in heaven.

Reactions: Fixxer

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sounds like you like the social aspect of training more than actually training Kriss, that may be why I cant relate too much. I hate people so Im in heaven.

Has nothing to do with the social aspect and all about the environment. The social aspect actually causes a distraction. I like to train alone.
I need to be in a conducive training environment where I can focus. I just can't do it at home. Major lack of equipment, can't even do a standing press because I'll put a hole through the ceiling. Nowhere to do BB squats. One pair of dumbbells, no bench, no rack, no pull up bar, just a couple bands, a skipping rope.
Not to mention, I have to be careful whenever putting weights down not to mess up the wooden floor.

Like I said. Not an environment conducive to training.
You have minimum equipment that makes it fine for you to train. You even have a destination where you actually leave home to go train elsewhere. I don't. Pretty easy to preach when that's the case.

I'd love to have cash lying around where I can rent out a warehouse to go train too. Would have done that a while back. Sadly that's not my reality.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
So how y'all doing?

Used to maintain a base of around 50kms/week over winter months regardless of how crappy weather got but since getting an indoor smart bike trainer a few years back mileage went down to 10-20kms/week. Never used to be a fan of indoor cardio but advancement of indoor cycling has been a game changer. Platforms like Zwift with online racing are really engaging for those seeking extra motivation and makes those long winter months much more bearable.

Reactions: Lshap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad