OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
How often are you adding weight to the bar?

Everybody has their own systems and thoughts I guess that's why this thread fun. In his case I would cycle, lift lighter more reps for two weeks (because I don't think his weekly routine hits press more than twice) and then heavy low reps for two weeks. It's all about exposing your body to different types of trauma and strain.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Everybody has their own systems and thoughts I guess that's why this thread fun. In his case I would cycle, lift lighter more reps for two weeks (because I don't think his weekly routine hits press more than twice) and then heavy low reps for two weeks. It's all about exposing your body to different types of trauma and strain.

Why I ask him is because it might not be time to lift on a cycle just yet. He's definitely getting close, and we all end up there anyways, and he wouldn't do himself any harm by just jumping right into it. But I always thought that it didn't make much sense to move from something like texas method, where you increase your weight once per week, to something like increasing your weights every 4 or 5 weeks. What the hell happened to 2 weeks?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How often are you adding weight to the bar?
I steadily added 10 lbs to the deadlift. Then it got heavier and I added 5 lbs. Got up to where I am now and then deloaded. Then made it back here and now I'm toast again.

I'm going to deload again and this time add reps.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I steadily added 10 lbs to the deadlift. Then it got heavier and I added 5 lbs. Got up to where I am now and then deloaded. Then made it back here and now I'm toast again.

I'm going to deload again and this time add reps.
Could also be your rest although I definitely think it's all about your calorie deficit. Strength gains during weight loss only happens when you're cutting just a tiny bit or a beginner.
How much do you rest between your really heavy sets?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Could also be your rest although I definitely think it's all about your calorie deficit. Strength gains during weight loss only happens when you're cutting just a tiny bit or a beginner.
How much do you rest between your really heavy sets?
With the deadlift, I rest at least five minutes between each set.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Super jelly! It still hurts when I sneeze so it'll be a couple more weeks before I can even do technique again. Let us know how it goes.
Bruuuuh! Havent had this much fun in years. Omfg its a revelation.

I cant lift my f***ing shoulders up though wtf is up:laugh:

Ive tapped a woman three times with wrist chokes(?) (Grab the collar of the gi accross and bend) and aside from that I got tapper 7383838 times by blue, purple and black belts :(

So much fun though.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Why I ask him is because it might not be time to lift on a cycle just yet. He's definitely getting close, and we all end up there anyways, and he wouldn't do himself any harm by just jumping right into it. But I always thought that it didn't make much sense to move from something like texas method, where you increase your weight once per week, to something like increasing your weights every 4 or 5 weeks. What the hell happened to 2 weeks?

My personal opinion is that 5X5 training routine is for experienced lifters, sometimes I think people choose it as a cop out as well, because more reps is more time and more grueling. Especially if you are doing a 5X5 but not actually making the five sets. Say you do five reps on the first, three on the second and one and a half on the third, then quit without dropping weight and continuing.

I will cycle in a five by five some weeks. But for me the 12 rep range reigns Supreme. If you do twelve times five there is a good chance you are going to stay in the 8-12 range for all your sets.

I'm probably going to load up next week and double down on chest and back with 10x10 volume training to shock the shit out of my chest and back. 100 lifts at 65% weight of my one rep max is going to really mess up some fibres.

I guess to sum it up, you shouldn't be doing 5X5 if you can't do 5X5

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
With the deadlift, I rest at least five minutes between each set.
Yes well then it's as I suspected, your caloric deficit caught up to it. If you to truly test it, increase your food intake and see how you feel. You should do that for two weeks as that's usually a good period of time for your body to adapt to new nutritional ways.

If you want to keep going on the weight loss, then forget trying to hit those high weights. Drop the weight down, increase reps, shoot for good form/consistency/rest increments of max 90 sec.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My personal opinion is that 5X5 training routine is for experienced lifters, sometimes I think people choose it as a cop out as well, because more reps is more time and more grueling. Especially if you are doing a 5X5 but not actually making the five sets. Say you do five reps on the first, three on the second and one and a half on the third, then quit without dropping weight and continuing.
If that's what you're doing then you're simply not doing it correctly. It's not 5x5.

I will cycle in a five by five some weeks. But for me the 12 rep range reigns Supreme. If you do twelve times five there is a good chance you are going to stay in the 8-12 range for all your sets.
Depends what your objectives are. 12 rep range is not optimal for strength gains. That's more hypertrophy. If the goal is to maximize raw strength, then you should be lifting heavier in lower rep range.
I personally like hybrid programs.
An example of a workout day for me:
A1- Bench Press 3x5
A2- DB Bent over Rows 3x5
B1- Incline DB Press 3x8
B2- Incline Flies 3x8
C1- Seated Pronated Row 3x8
C2- Seated Supinated Row 3x8
D1- Standing Plate Press 3x20
D2- Neutral grip banded row 3x20

I play around with exercises and reps. Sometimes the A sets will go up to 4-5 of 2/3/4 reps. I also throw in some drop sets from time to time as well. Sometimes my banded work goes up to 30-50 reps.
But in a nutshell, I stick to this type of format.
I'm probably going to load up next week and double down on chest and back with 10x10 volume training to shock the shit out of my chest and back. 100 lifts at 65% weight of my one rep max is going to really mess up some fibres.
GVT usually hovers around the 60% mark so 65% is good. Personally I find that training way too boring. I tried it so many times and I just can't stick to it. I really can't spend more than 5 sets on an exercise.

I guess to sum it up, you shouldn't be doing 5X5 if you can't do 5X5
Anybody can do 5x5, you just need to be smart about the weight you use. A lot of people have a problem adapting the ''less is more'' motto in the gym, they constantly push for the max weight they can use, which will be a problem in the 5x5 format.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
@NotProkofievian how do you treat mat rash on your feet ? If it ever happened

It's part of the process. The tops of your feet will get tougher and you'll learn how to move on the mats so you don't really get it that often. At home you could use some aloe or vitamin e to encourage healing. Keep it covered during practice.

The tops of you knuckles will also get very tough from grabbing the gi.

Good job on the cross choke, did they teach you that in the lesson? I actually never get it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's part of the process. The tops of your feet will get tougher and you'll learn how to move on the mats so you don't really get it that often. At home you could use some aloe or vitamin e to encourage healing. Keep it covered during practice.

The tops of you knuckles will also get very tough from grabbing the gi.

Good job on the cross choke, did they teach you that in the lesson? I actually never get it.
Yeah they did! Not going go lie, its the only move that was simple enough for me to try over and over :laugh: i tried it about 15 times and got it once. Probably just the fact he went easy on me and I was outweighing him by 70 pounds.

Anyway all I did was defend, by shrimping and trying to get side control. Baby steps.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
If that's what you're doing then you're simply not doing it correctly. It's not 5x5.

Depends what your objectives are. 12 rep range is not optimal for strength gains. That's more hypertrophy. If the goal is to maximize raw strength, then you should be lifting heavier in lower rep range.
I personally like hybrid programs.
An example of a workout day for me:
A1- Bench Press 3x5
A2- DB Bent over Rows 3x5
B1- Incline DB Press 3x8
B2- Incline Flies 3x8
C1- Seated Pronated Row 3x8
C2- Seated Supinated Row 3x8
D1- Standing Plate Press 3x20
D2- Neutral grip banded row 3x20

I play around with exercises and reps. Sometimes the A sets will go up to 4-5 of 2/3/4 reps. I also throw in some drop sets from time to time as well. Sometimes my banded work goes up to 30-50 reps.
But in a nutshell, I stick to this type of format.

GVT usually hovers around the 60% mark so 65% is good. Personally I find that training way too boring. I tried it so many times and I just can't stick to it. I really can't spend more than 5 sets on an exercise.

Anybody can do 5x5, you just need to be smart about the weight you use. A lot of people have a problem adapting the ''less is more'' motto in the gym, they constantly push for the max weight they can use, which will be a problem in the 5x5 format.

Informative as always. I would find 5X5 flying to close to the ground if you will. You don't have alot of room before you are at no reps at all. But I totally agree that people's problems with it are largely lifting too much weight, it's a massive problem across lifting. I'm not afraid to lift light if it's what working. Sometimes lifting light helps you find that form and full range of motion again as well.

Yeah i get the sets thing, not going past five. I will likely lose my accessory lifts that week as doing 200 reps total on chest and back will eat up all my time, but I'm hoping it pushes me into a new stratosphere and helps achieve other lifting goals I have.

I haven't messed around with bands at all, might give it a look, but I'd say your routine looks somewhat similar to mine. Overlaps are key for me like you have in your workout, where several lifts work the same muscles but target different ones. Like a bench press leading to a shoulder press, although I do tend to go push then pull

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah they did! Not going go lie, its the only move that was simple enough for me to try over and over :laugh: i tried it about 15 times and got it once. Probably just the fact he went easy on me and I was outweighing him by 70 pounds.

Anyway all I did was defend, by shrimping and trying to get side control. Baby steps.
They taught you a cross choke in the first class?
In the first class I ever did we just spent time going over properly taking down or defending a take down, and passing guards.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Informative as always. I would find 5X5 flying to close to the ground if you will. You don't have alot of room before you are at no reps at all. But I totally agree that people's problems with it are largely lifting too much weight, it's a massive problem across lifting. I'm not afraid to lift light if it's what working. Sometimes lifting light helps you find that form and full range of motion again as well.
There's simply no excuse to break form or shorten the range of motion. If the weight forces you to do that, then you went too heavy. That or you're not resting enough between sets.
Yeah i get the sets thing, not going past five. I will likely lose my accessory lifts that week as doing 200 reps total on chest and back will eat up all my time, but I'm hoping it pushes me into a new stratosphere and helps achieve other lifting goals I have.
Yup, GVT doesn't really include a lot of accessory work. You are fried after 10x10.
Good luck mate.
I haven't messed around with bands at all, might give it a look, but I'd say your routine looks somewhat similar to mine. Overlaps are key for me like you have in your workout, where several lifts work the same muscles but target different ones. Like a bench press leading to a shoulder press, although I do tend to go push then pull

Bands have became a favorite of mine.
1) Safer.
2) Reinforce your tendons.
3) Recruits your stabilizing muscles
and most importantly....they're awesome to get a last big pump as a finisher ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They taught you a cross choke in the first class?
In the first class I ever did we just spent time going over properly taking down or defending a take down, and passing guards.
They thought me Kimura, arm bar and as a side they taught me the crosschoke.

We started in guard/mount for the first time, I guess well see take downs somewhere along the line.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Armbar from guard?
Nope! Lol, it was triangle, not armbar. Somehow I thought they were the same thing.

Safe to say I didn't understand anything about this move, lmao. Sitting up, foot on hip and then I have no idea what to do.

Same thing with Kimura, sit up and grab the arm, weave your arm, then Im stuck and can't do anything lmao.

I have very poor coordination from years and years of very little movement, I hope it comes back soon because I look like a total fool :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nope! Lol, it was triangle, not armbar. Somehow I thought they were the same thing.

Safe to say I didn't understand anything about this move, lmao. Sitting up, foot on hip and then I have no idea what to do.

Same thing with Kimura, sit up and grab the arm, weave your arm, then Im stuck and can't do anything lmao.

I have very poor coordination from years and years of very little movement, I hope it comes back soon because I look like a total fool :laugh:

So I guess you just jumped into a class right? A beginner class but this wasn't the actual first class for everyone there was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad