Fitness and Nutrition VIII

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, thats what Im saying. I want to actually practice the sport. I dont just want to strike and move around. A good part of my motivation usually comes from either chasing a goal or seeing tangible results.. just striking and running around a ring wont give me that.

In that case I think you'd have to train a bit at a boxing gym and try to get someone to train you seriously. There are plenty of people who do that but it's not everyone, most people do it for workouts. Plus sometimes finding a coach to train you seriously takes some time, proving your commitment, etc...

There was a dude that used to post here, Danny, I think he's gone now. Forget his old handle. Ended up hanging out with him a few times, but lost touch. He took up BJJ, ended up being serious about it, and he moved to Saudi Arabia or something like that to train. I am pretty sure he's pro now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In that case I think you'd have to train a bit at a boxing gym and try to get someone to train you seriously. There are plenty of people who do that but it's not everyone, most people do it for workouts. Plus sometimes finding a coach to train you seriously takes some time, proving your commitment, etc...

There was a dude that used to post here, Danny, I think he's gone now. Forget his old handle. Ended up hanging out with him a few times, but lost touch. He took up BJJ, ended up being serious about it, and he moved to Saudi Arabia or something like that to train. I am pretty sure he's pro now.
I dont think Ill ever want to get serious or anything, but if I like something, I kinda become obsessed (Like I am with lifting.) And what to be the best I can be. I don't like doing things casually.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I dont know what the heck inflated muscle means, so I cant help with this one :laugh:

If you choose A, which movements would you be prioritizing? Are you familiar enough with barbell training? Maybe picking up a few lifting classes around the movements would be greatly beneficial.

Otherwise, I currently run a four day split, but during the winter months I run a five day split. The number of days on and off doesnt really matter, what matters is if you hit your MRV (Maximum recoverable volume.) Depending on age, weight, level, steroids and what not, your volume can vary from about 10 sets to 40 depending on the muscle.

Post-fatherhood, mine has to be between 2 and 3 sets.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is volume simply equal to the product of weight times repetitions times sets?
Its only equal to the number of sets. You have to set your intensity to fit too.

Volume and intensity are the only two things your training should respond to. Volume usually goes down as intensity goes up, et vice-versa. Volume is also a function of intensity as you cant handle the high intensity at high volumes without adaptation or massive breakdown.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Its only equal to the number of sets. You have to set your intensity to fit too.

Volume and intensity are the only two things your training should respond to. Volume usually goes down as intensity goes up, et vice-versa. Volume is also a function of intensity as you cant handle the high intensity at high volumes without adaptation or massive breakdown.

So why not just say "number of sets"?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Gotta do what you gotta do. Id say its probably more linked towards your line of work than the fatherhood thing. Are you still managing crazy schedule's?

Yeah, it's still pretty tense at the moment. It should be better in 1-2 years as I'll be changing jobs. I could manage (serious) exercising with just the job or just the family and a regular 9-5 workload, but both is pretty impossible, not without some leizure in there. As I type this I just finished a 7 to 18:00 shift. and will take another hour to finish up some more work before bed time. Friday is going to be a fun one, 7am to 12am. One positive is my scheduling is very thorough, so Ive managed to schedule between 2-4 (short) sessions of hockey/lifting a week without getting wrecked.

I actually had two weeks of "downtime" during July (like 9-4 or 5 every day) and it felt like I was in heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, it's still pretty tense at the moment. It should be better in 1-2 years as I'll be changing jobs. I could manage exercising with just the job or just the family and a regular 9-5 workload, but both is pretty impossible, not without some leizure in there. As I type this I just finished a 7 to 18:00 shift. and will take another hour to finish up some more work before bed time. Friday is going to be a fun one, 7am to 12am. One positive is my scheduling is very thorough, so Ive managed to schedule between 2-4 (short) sessions of hockey/lifting a week without getting wrecked.

I actually had two weeks of "downtime" during July (like 9-4 or 5 every day) and it felt like I was in heaven.
Ive worked my fair share of 70s a week and I just cannot anymore. I struggle with 40 hours work week. Once youve touched on having a life, your perspective seems to change. Couldnt imagine having a toddler on top of that.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Ive worked my fair share of 70s a week and I just cannot anymore. I struggle with 40 hours work week. Once youve touched on having a life, your perspective seems to change. Couldnt imagine having a toddler on top of that.

Yeah, we've had to change a lot of things in our personal and professional life to make it work. My girlfriend changed jobs for less pay, but has around 20 less hours of work obligations and we pay for some chores so we can free time. I don't have any chores at home anymore and we have our whole weekends free now (no groceries to do or anything like that - I just cook because I enjoy it) unless I have work. I take full advantage of my allowed vacations / leaves every year now too. I don't have much control over the actual work hours until I leave, but at least everythings been cut down so it's basically been work and rest/family time with regular off days / vacations sprinkled in, so it's more livable than it was in the past - and I can at least get some exercise in. Any sort of serious hockey or powerlifting commitment is not realistic, though that took me some time to accept.

One thing though is my diet has improved quite a bit by having a garden (that I've also found a way to invest minimal time in). It's helped me enjoy vegetables to the point I look forward to eating them, something that's always been hard to in the past.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So why not just say "number of sets"?

It's often defined as the sum of repetitions x weight (sets x reps x weight), meaning the total poundage of each workout. Intensity is the % of the 1RM that's being used for each set / repetition, but the body doesn't adapt very well (if at all) to high intensity, high volume workouts. A powerlifting program like Sheiko, for example, has high volume with moderate intensity and is very taxing, likely not made for drug free lifters either. I've tried one with success, but after years of powerlifting, much more total mass and a modification on volume to make it bearable.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I hate the lack of hardcore gyms in the montreal region. Its all commercial or expensive fit pro 360 diddly doo training.

Epicentre was cool but it always seemed really disappointing when I stepped in. Little to no ambiance and very little people.

I dont know if Econofitness/buzztit killed the non commercial gym or if theres just no money in there but it is quite sad.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've now used the elliptical in my room about 15 times or so and it's proven helpful. I get in some casual cardio exercise without the overhead of needing to go to and from a gym, change, etc. It also gets me more time to watch TV. I rewatched Infinity War over a few workouts, and I watched a brief JFK documentary, recently.

The heartrate monitor is fun. When I do the workout in a fed state my heartrate might average 140 or so, but if I do so in a fasted state it can reach and exceed 170. It reminds me if the early 2000s discussion of pre-breakfast cardio -- it is manifestly superior.

Reactions: groovejuice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My GF has been laughing at me for a few weeks because she says I have no bicep muscles. It may be time to curl for my girl. If I had a halfway decent bicep peak Id probably be at 19 inches by now.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I dont think Ill ever want to get serious or anything, but if I like something, I kinda become obsessed (Like I am with lifting.) And what to be the best I can be. I don't like doing things casually.

Jiu-jitsu is great because you can spare all the time, while I wouldn't recommand sparring in striking at any age (I'm lucky I did my hard sparring as a young man and never got really hit on the head), and judo is a young men sport, you don't want to be thrown on the ground all the time past a certain age, and you got a lot of take down drills in jiu-jitsu.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I've now used the elliptical in my room about 15 times or so and it's proven helpful. I get in some casual cardio exercise without the overhead of needing to go to and from a gym, change, etc. It also gets me more time to watch TV. I rewatched Infinity War over a few workouts, and I watched a brief JFK documentary, recently.

The heartrate monitor is fun. When I do the workout in a fed state my heartrate might average 140 or so, but if I do so in a fasted state it can reach and exceed 170. It reminds me if the early 2000s discussion of pre-breakfast cardio -- it is manifestly superior.
Interesting, I've never tested the difference in my heart rate between a fasted and non fasted state. I might have to keep a closer eye on this.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I think I need more clarity/explanation on the 5x5 method. It just doesn't feel like I'm getting a good work out.

So far I've found drop sets to be the most effective for me. So for example I'll curl 30 eight times and have a 25 lined up and as soon as my form starts to falter ill instantly drop to the 25 and get about 4 more in.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think I need more clarity/explanation on the 5x5 method. It just doesn't feel like I'm getting a good work out.

So far I've found drop sets to be the most effective for me. So for example I'll curl 30 eight times and have a 25 lined up and as soon as my form starts to falter ill instantly drop to the 25 and get about 4 more in.
The volume is different. DOMS or a pump does not mean you are not getting a workout. A drop set also means alot more total volume than 5x5.

Your 5x5 intensity may be off. Make sure your weights are heavy enough.

Anyway 5x5 is very basic and aside from being an adequate introduction to barbell training, it doesnt offer much, imo. Knowing you want mass and strength gains, and you like higher volume work, Id tell you to work into german volume training.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
No more back - knee issues

And i lost 5-6 pounds . I am now 5’11.5 179 pounds

Jeez i feel like in a month or so i could start thinking about having abs

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

3x5 is superior in every way IMO.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What I've always hated about these ultra-specific set and rep counts is that you need to know your exact strength and endurance in order to hit failure on the past rep. And if your endurance varies because you ate a different meal that day, slept differently, or if you're doing your exercises out of order because other exercises are being used up by other patrons.

Like you can't necessarily start with squats, it may be that all 8 squat racks are taken, do then you might do the leg press first, but then that means that there will be less energy left for the squat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad