Fitness and Nutrition VIII

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
@HBDay

Well that would depend on a lot of things. Mainly, what are your goals ? General health? Strength ? General good looks ? Getting better at lifting or what ever ?

You have a few alternatives really and it's really a case by case situation.

Mainly you'll want to choose between centering your training around
A) Movements (Squat, bench, dead, OHP, Clean, Jerk, Snatch, etc. (Generally used in lifting sports or to get stronger, but still great IMO for general health, muscle building.)
B) A body part. (Typical bro-split that encourages muscle growth at the expense of the rest.)
C) A push/pull/legs day
D) A crossfit style training where you train movements and incorporate cardiovascular training and what not.

Personally, I'm a big advocate of A. Training movements and getting better (Not only stronger, but better technically.) yields, IMO, the best results of all. Why ? Basically better neuromusclar pathways, better technique, stronger body, and barbell training is IMO the best muscle builder. Also, getting stronger on a movement gives you something to look up to, instead of just looking at the mirror and chasing the pump, chasing that big PR is always motivating, at least, to me. It can be hard to motivate yourself at the same time, because when you chase PR's, you're mostly training harder than when you chase that dere pump.

If this isn't what you're looking at and what you care about is just looking good (Again, IMO, the better choice is still A), but you can have adequate results with bro splits or push/pull training too.

So you either organize your days as
Monday tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday SundaY
A) Squats Bench Off Deadlift Bench Off/Squat Off
B) Legs Pec/Tri Back Shoulder Off
C) Push pull Off Leg Push Off Off
D) Xfit off Xfit off Xfit Off Off

when you've chosen what you'd rather do, we can talk exercises, MRV, Rest days, etc.

If you want the simplest approach, push/pull/leg is probably the one to go with, its also the easiest to navigate as it requires only 3 days and its simple to understand.

I want gains in mass mostly. But not inflated muscles, don't want to look like a stump. Also my athletic performance does matter to me alot I dont want to loose agility speed etc. So I guess A works for me. But three days off a week seems excessive, and I hate not touching a specific muscle group for longer than three days. And yes imI using pure dumbbell, im told they provide better strength.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I went to Turkey and got a hair transplant. The guidelines include the advice to not exercise for a full two weeks after the procedure, which is frustrating. I have another week to go.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I went to Turkey and got a hair transplant. The guidelines include the advice to not exercise for a full two weeks after the procedure, which is frustrating. I have another week to go.
You were balding? Why not just shave? Ive never quite had the level of sex appeal I have now until I went full bald with a beard

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You were balding? Why not just shave? Ive never quite had the level of sex appeal I have now until I went full bald with a beard

Good questions. I hope that these responses will be informative.

1) I don't associate my beard with my hair. They're separate things. I can have or not have both independently of the other. Right now, beards are fashionable and so I sport a thick beard cut to about 0.5 guard, which I would do regardless of the amount of hairs that i have atop my head.

2) Different men will be differently impacted by balding. You know what's nearly never happened? A man with hair completely shaving his head. A lot of men buzz, but that's different, a 1-guard and a 0-guard are different. In your case, you probably took one step back and three steps forward, those glutes that you got from deadlifting 700 lbs more than make up for the rest ;-)

3) I did this for me ... . I like having a Jewfro. In terms of the chicks, the absolute best thing that I could do is to stop eating so much when traveling, that really dwarfs everything else that I could do, in my best modesty informed opinion.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

1) I don't associate my beard with my hair. They're separate things. I can have or not have both independently of the other. Right now, beards are fashionable and so I sport a thick beard cut to about 0.5 guard, which I would do regardless of the amount of hairs that i have atop my head.

2) Different men will be differently impacted by balding. You know what's nearly never happened? A man with hair completely shaving his head. A lot of men buzz, but that's different, a 1-guard and a 0-guard are different. In your case, you probably took one step back and three steps forward, those glutes that you got from deadlifting 700 lbs more than make up for the rest ;-)

3) I did this for me ... . I like having a Jewfro. In terms of the chicks, the absolute best thing that I could do is to stop eating so much when traveling, that really dwarfs everything else that I could do, in my best modesty informed opinion.

Edited for typos.

Only a judge can judge you.

Don't worry bro you do what makes you feel good and confident, you get one life make yourself the best you can be and do it for yourself.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Edited for typos.
I was really really depressed in my first years of balding. Freaking 18 and balding? That aint cool. But now I realize that I would have never cut my full head of hair and that I wouldve never had that Dwayne Johnson charisma thing going. I thought about the transplant for a while, my parent even offered to pay for it because I was seriously depressed. All in all, I think Im happy I never went for it.

Were you just thinning and wanted it thicker ? Or did you make the crazy jump from full on horseshoe to fro?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I want gains in mass mostly. But not inflated muscles, don't want to look like a stump. Also my athletic performance does matter to me alot I dont want to loose agility speed etc. So I guess A works for me. But three days off a week seems excessive, and I hate not touching a specific muscle group for longer than three days. And yes imI using pure dumbbell, im told they provide better strength.
I dont know what the heck inflated muscle means, so I cant help with this one :laugh:

If you choose A, which movements would you be prioritizing? Are you familiar enough with barbell training? Maybe picking up a few lifting classes around the movements would be greatly beneficial.

Otherwise, I currently run a four day split, but during the winter months I run a five day split. The number of days on and off doesnt really matter, what matters is if you hit your MRV (Maximum recoverable volume.) Depending on age, weight, level, steroids and what not, your volume can vary from about 10 sets to 40 depending on the muscle.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I was really really depressed in my first years of balding. Freaking 18 and balding? That aint cool. But now I realize that I would have never cut my full head of hair and that I wouldve never had that Dwayne Johnson charisma thing going. I thought about the transplant for a while, my parent even offered to pay for it because I was seriously depressed. All in all, I think Im happy I never went for it.

Were you just thinning and wanted it thicker ? Or did you make the crazy jump from full on horseshoe to fro?

There aren't enough donor hairs to go from full horseshoe to Jewfro. What they did was a slight lowering of the hairline and increases density behind it, and a tiny bit if increased density at the crown, 2750 grafts total.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There aren't enough donor hairs to go from full horseshoe to Jewfro. What they did was a slight lowering of the hairline and increases density behind it, and a tiny bit if increased density at the crown, 2750 grafts total.
Dont they just grab your back hair or something like that? I may be misinformed.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
So I'm about 6'1 and creeping up to 220. I carry most of my weight in my torso. I'd like to be under 200 with a bit of tone. 190-195 I'm guessing would be ideal.

What am I do?

Reactions: Mrb1p

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
So I'm about 6'1 and creeping up to 220. I carry most of my weight in my torso. I'd like to be under 200 with a bit of tone. 190-195 I'm guessing would be ideal.

What am I do?

I'm 6'2ish and just got back down to sub 200 after hovering around 220 for the winter months. Took about 4 weeks of eating better and making sure I was getting in a good amount of compound weight lifting sets/week. Intermittent fasting works very well for me and IMO, speeds up the weight loss, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. Keeping your protein intake relatively high should also help with the weight loss and maintaining any muscle you have while on calorie deficit.

It can be hard to get going, but if you do it right you can see results every day and that makes keeping up the effort much easier.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What am I do?
How about you stop screwing around and realize the potential you have and put up 100 pounds on that sickly body of yours? Thank you.

I'm 6'2ish and just got back down to sub 200 after hovering around 220 for the winter months. Took about 4 weeks of eating better and making sure I was getting in a good amount of compound weight lifting sets/week. Intermittent fasting works very well for me and IMO, speeds up the weight loss, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. Keeping your protein intake relatively high should also help with the weight loss and maintaining any muscle you have while on calorie deficit.

It can be hard to get going, but if you do it right you can see results every day and that makes keeping up the effort much easier.
LOL 6'2 AND 200 POUND MAN TELL ME DO WE EVEN SEE YOU WHEN YOURE BEHIND A PENCIL?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
How about you stop screwing around and realize the potential you have and put up 100 pounds on that sickly body of yours? Thank you.

LOL 6'2 AND 200 POUND MAN TELL ME DO WE EVEN SEE YOU WHEN YOURE BEHIND A PENCIL?

@ me when you can get on rides at disney world ;)

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have very thick hair and beard, after my kid was born I let both grow for ~6 months and ended up with a huge afro and mountain man beard. Shaved the beard off completely and tried to slick my hair back, and once the beard came in a little I looked pretty good actually. But with the summer heat/humidity I can't slick my hair back at all so I shaved it off, now I have a shaved head (used a 1 on the clipper) and long beard since I haven't cut it since May. I get a lot of compliments, so I think this is a good look.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I had some aggressive goals to get up to squatting 3 plates 5x5 3x a week by July, but ended up scrapping that at around 265 lbs because I started to absolutely hate workouts, it was just way too much and too aggressive. I dropped my squat work weight down to 135lbs and worked on going back to where I was, and didn't get too down on myself if I missed a workout or skipped one cause I felt injured or something. I also stopped taking creatine. I dropped 10 lbs and I think I am looking pretty good now. Lighter weights keeps me going back to the gym more often and less likely to skip a day, cause I can finish my workout in ~1 hour. Before, the heavier squats were leading to 2-3 minutes rest between sets, so including warmups and all that, my squat work would take 30 minutes alone. Knees feel good, shoulder seems to FINALLY be feeling better. Getting more and more "wtf??" comments from coworkers/friends because I got "all of a sudden jacked." Good feelings!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really, really, really want to start some martial art but I can't decide on which one Id rather do. Judo, JiuJitsu, boxing, kickboxing are all interesting to me. I can't take a hit because it will make me even more of a vegetable so I wonder if grappling could be too rough for my head, and then boxing and kickboxing would be only striking practice and this sounds pretty sad after a while...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I really, really, really want to start some martial art but I can't decide on which one Id rather do. Judo, JiuJitsu, boxing, kickboxing are all interesting to me. I can't take a hit because it will make me even more of a vegetable so I wonder if grappling could be too rough for my head, and then boxing and kickboxing would be only striking practice and this sounds pretty sad after a while...

Depends what your goal is really. I did boxing for a long time and it is a great, great workout. But to me, that's all it really was, just a way to stay in shape. Striking is part of it, but it's more about foot movement, coordination, cardio, balance, etc... I was not boxing competitively and never hit hard or got hit hard sparring besides a few accidents. Boxed at the gym in St-Henri.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Depends what your goal is really. I did boxing for a long time and it is a great, great workout. But to me, that's all it really was, just a way to stay in shape. Striking is part of it, but it's more about foot movement, coordination, cardio, balance, etc... I was not boxing competitively and never hit hard or got hit hard sparring besides a few accidents. Boxed at the gym in St-Henri.
Yeah, thats what Im saying. I want to actually practice the sport. I dont just want to strike and move around. A good part of my motivation usually comes from either chasing a goal or seeing tangible results.. just striking and running around a ring wont give me that.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I'd consider wrestling - the real kind. I can't think of any contact sport better for overall musculature, strength and symmetry.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd consider wrestling - the real kind. I can't think of any contact sport better for overall musculature, strength and symmetry.
I have little to no interest in the "fitness" side of martial arts, Im already way beyond what some would call "fit", I really just want to get good at something else, branching out and while Im really not someone aggressive or anything, I feel like I could be good at it and also really like it.

I mostly miss the feeling of letting go and just becoming someone else like I used to when I played football. I get a lot of that while lifting weights for sure, but I have some time left on my hands to be good at something else.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad