Fitness and Nutrition VIII

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Semi on topic, but some hockey kids/parents are just awful people. Some teen kid deliberately shot the puck in the stands near my 3 year old to make my gf and him go away during a stick and puck.

Reactions: DAChampion

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Coffees can be healthy? Coffees can’t be healthy. Like for the fitness and nutrition side. What’s the coffee’s pros? What’s the coffee’s cons?

Unless you're ingesting large quantities or have specific health problems, theres nothing wrong with coffee per say.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Unfortunately diet and nutrition is hardly covered in medical school at all. To be clear I'm not calling anything "fake news" just I've never heard of anything like that at all in my entire life and I thought I heard it all.

Much, if not most, of medicine isn't covered or partially covered during the pre-clinical years. Much of your learning comes from your own readings and whats pertinent for your practice and speciality. So, a lot of doctors could have no knowledge on nutrition or sports medecine, while others could be leading figures. I could easily see why a urologist could develop an interest in it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
A lot of people take protein supplements mixed with a large glass of water, so frequent urination may come from drinking more water lol

I only drink 1.5 cups of water with my protein supplement, and get a tremendous increase in urination. It's the protein itself and is a well known side-effect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Much, if not most, of medicine isn't covered or partially covered during the pre-clinical years. Much of your learning comes from your own readings and whats pertinent for your practice and speciality. So, a lot of doctors could have no knowledge on nutrition or sports medecine, while others could be leading figures. I could easily see why a urologist could develop an interest in it.
But really, what do YOU know on topic? Fearmonger!

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You realize he debunked your ridiculous claim about doctors not learning anything after med school?

Imagine those 80 years old meds prescribing everyone cocaine and a cigarette because they didn't get up to date on the research.
lol when did I say that? Ya I was totally "debunked" :laugh:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I only drink 1.5 cups of water with my protein supplement, and get a tremendous increase in urination. It's the protein itself and is a well known side-effect.

Most protein that people consume is concerted to glucose. A waste product of that conversion is uric acid, which leaves the body via what it's named after.

Some math. It takes about 40 grams a day of protein for people to stay as they are, but someone on a bulk might be consuming 140 grams a day. That's a gain of 3,000 grams or about 6.5 lbs a month. If they're exceptionally efficient, they are gaining 2 lbs a month of lean mass. Leaving aside that a lot (most?) of that is water and glycogen, at least 70% of the extra protein will be converted to glucose (sone fraction becomes ketones) and uric acid.

Exception: newborn babies. Breast milk contains negligible protein, they get maybe 7 grams a day. Yet sonehow they gain 10 lbs in the first six months. Isn't evolution awesome?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Most protein that people consume is concerted to glucose. A waste product of that conversion is uric acid, which leaves the body via what it's named after.

Some math. It takes about 40 grams a day of protein for people to stay as they are, but someone on a bulk might be consuming 140 grams a day. That's a gain of 3,000 grams or about 6.5 lbs a month. If they're exceptionally efficient, they are gaining 2 lbs a month of lean mass. Leaving aside that a lot (most?) of that is water and glycogen, at least 70% of the extra protein will be converted to glucose (sone fraction becomes ketones) and uric acid.

Exception: newborn babies. Breast milk contains negligible protein, they get maybe 7 grams a day. Yet sonehow they gain 10 lbs in the first six months. Isn't evolution awesome?
A bulk
140 grams

You mean at lunch? :laugh:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Evolution is indeed awesome! But sometimes I wonder how the entertainment centre ended up between our legs in the midst of a sewage system...

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Implying most of what they know is learned in med school

I'm quite certain the curriculum varies from medical school to medical school and the more current ones would have mandatory and optional courses on nutrition.

I mean seriously, can you imagine a med school without them?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
@Kriss E , neither of those two conversations that I mentioned included suggestions of keto for strength. Perhaps keto is good for strength but I doubt it, as it's necessarily a low-protein diet as well, since dietary protein is predominantly converted to glucose. I only see keto/fasting suggested for the brain, digestive issues, cancer prevention and treatment, auto immune issues, and body fat. Like yourself, I do not have the willpower for long term keto.

I did not try veganism for long. The reaction that I had was almost certainly to soy rather than to the absence of animal products. I was going to pee every 20 or 30 minutes, and I'd get a hot sensation. I later checked with a urologist, and I chanced upon a world-class urologist who publishes in the top journals, and he said that a lot of men simply cannot tolerate soy, and that he advises lots of clients to avoid soy. Given that I eat out a lot, a vegan, soy-free diet would be a low-protein diet for me.

I can confirm working out in Ketosis is not ideal and the lack of carbs as fuel is painfully obvious.
I have lost about 110 pounds (5'10 from 285 to 175) using the Ketogenic model while fasting for about 16-18 hours a day. That being said working out has been a challenge in terms of putting on muscle and recovery after a tough workout. I never ate more than 25g net carbs (per day) for nearly 14 months and that helped a lot with losing fat but it was very hard to maintain or build muscle mass.

I re-introduced carbs as a test , I felt like garbage (bloated and tired) but I was still able to perform better in the gym because it's so easy and natural for the body to use carbs for energy.

Just my two cents , I am in no way an expert , just my experience so far.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Meh, I like my meat.

Anyway on a bulk youd have to ingest ridiculous amounts of carbs if .65 grams of proteins was sufficient.

I also like the taste of meat, but I'm glad that the arguments for 200+ grams of protein a day have been refuted. That is inconvenient, expensive, and difficult, and possibly taxing on the digestive system.

I hope to start my first ever bulk in August, we'll see how it goes.

I don't see why you'd need ridiculous amounts if carbs. You can replace 100 grams of protein with 50 grams of carbs a (half a bagel) and 20 grams of fat, which is a little more than a single tablespoon of olive oil.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I also like the taste of meat, but I'm glad that the arguments for 200+ grams of protein a day have been refuted. That is inconvenient, expensive, and difficult, and possibly taxing on the digestive system.

I hope to start my first ever bulk in August, we'll see how it goes.

I don't see why you'd need ridiculous amounts if carbs. You can replace 100 grams of protein with 50 grams of carbs a (half a bagel) and 20 grams of fat, which is a little more than a single tablespoon of olive oil.

At 4000 calories a day it gets rough, it starts to be alot of carbs if you substitute the 100g of Protein for carbs. I already have trouble finishing my carbs, I dont know how this could work for me.

Now imagine a guy like Haftor or Brian Shaw at 10000.

Health wise it makes sense, bulk wise it doesnt. Anyway thats how I feel.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've tried to determine what my actual caloric expense was today, I had a rough day at work and an even rougher one in the gym.

I used the Cronometer app with the exercise tab to calculate.

It gave me 5000 calories burned ? Shit, that can't be right ?
About 2033 for my BMR (230 pounds, 183 cm), which sounds about right...
Then they tell me I burned 500 calories while squatting (About right) and 2000 while working ? Hot diggity. (9 hour, Cooking, I was alone today and had a pretty good sell out at 2700$ in a 9 hour day.)

Edit: Holy shit, I just watched a BonAppetit video that had a sushi chef and traditional french/NA chef working service for an hour (Most active but probably the least demanding phyiscally, no lifting/up and down stairs.) and the french chef burned 500 in an hour ? Jesus, no wonder I get so damn shredded in the summer :laugh:

They used a fitbit type to calculate... How accurate are they ?

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Peak male fitness.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190601_134052.jpg
    MVIMG_20190601_134052.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190601_133418.jpg
    IMG_20190601_133418.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 4

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've tried to determine what my actual caloric expense was today, I had a rough day at work and an even rougher one in the gym.

I used the Cronometer app with the exercise tab to calculate.

It gave me 5000 calories burned ? ****, that can't be right ?
About 2033 for my BMR (230 pounds, 183 cm), which sounds about right...
Then they tell me I burned 500 calories while squatting (About right) and 2000 while working ? Hot diggity. (9 hour, Cooking, I was alone today and had a pretty good sell out at 2700$ in a 9 hour day.)

Edit: Holy ****, I just watched a BonAppetit video that had a sushi chef and traditional french/NA chef working service for an hour (Most active but probably the least demanding phyiscally, no lifting/up and down stairs.) and the french chef burned 500 in an hour ? Jesus, no wonder I get so damn shredded in the summer :laugh:

They used a fitbit type to calculate... How accurate are they ?

I think that the body adapts to commonly performed activities, but a physical job is a physical job.

Just walking for an adult man burns 250+ calories/hour.

Do you use cast iron skillets? Your girlfriend must love your forearms if you're manipulating those for 8 hours a day ;-)

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Excellent post.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The whole 1g or protein per pound of body weight myth is definitely problematic. For one it doesn’t take into account ones bf%. You could have two guys who are 6’ tall with the same frame, one is a chunky 225 and the other is a lean 175. The chunky dude certainly doesn’t need an extra 50 grams of protein a day just because he carries more fat.

That said, high protein intake certainly helps in terms of strength and muscle building. I usually aim for around 150g a day, though that might be higher than needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad