Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We've discussed egg consumption on this board, but I'm still unclear how many eggs per week is healthy. I know the old idea of Eggs = Bad Cholesterol is obsolete, but most reputable site still suggest limiting consumption to an average of one-per-day. Yet I've heard reports that even doubling that doesn't spike cholesterol.

This pops into my head after finishing a 2-egg breakfast today after a 3-egg omelette yesterday.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We've discussed egg consumption on this board, but I'm still unclear how many eggs per week is healthy. I know the old idea of Eggs = Bad Cholesterol is obsolete, but most reputable site still suggest limiting consumption to an average of one-per-day. Yet I've heard reports that even doubling that doesn't spike cholesterol.

This pops into my head after finishing a 2-egg breakfast today after a 3-egg omelette yesterday.

Evidence says an egg or two a day won't kill you unless you're a type two diabetes and you eat like a jackass. Your liver synthetizes cholesterol naturally from the trans-fat and saturated fat you eat, the more you eat though, the less you are likely to synthetize it.

I have been eating 3 a day because it's cheap, good and nutrient-dense, cooked in butter and often with bacon.

Reactions: DAChampion

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Evidence says an egg or two a day won't kill you unless you're a type two diabetes and you eat like a jackass. Your liver synthetizes cholesterol naturally from the trans-fat and saturated fat you eat, the more you eat though, the less you are likely to synthetize it.

I have been eating 3 a day because it's cheap, good and nutrient-dense, cooked in butter and often with bacon.
Thanks. Now find me a study that supports eating bacon.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thanks. Now find me a study that supports eating bacon.

TBH, I wouldn't recommend bacon to anyone as I think processed meats are pretty bad for your health, but if you can find some butcher shop cured one, I wouldn't see why not ? There's a lot of study out there that support higher fat diets. But thats just way too expansive, even for my taste.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
TBH, I wouldn't recommend bacon to anyone as I think processed meats are pretty bad for your health, but if you can find some butcher shop cured one, I wouldn't see why not ? There's a lot of study out there that support higher fat diets. But thats just way too expansive, even for my taste.
I was kidding. Those kind of processed meats have been targeted as carcinogens. Not a big deal to eat some during the week, but obviously you don't want to make bacon a staple of your diet. I'd think anyone with a family history of colon cancer should be even more cautious. Let's face it -- nobody eats bacon because of the health benefits.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think that some of the European variants of bacon, which are less processed, might be better.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Do avoid simple carbs at breakfast if they give you a coma. Beans might work better. Or an avocado. Or an egg. Or just fast until lunch.

Do you believe yourself to be sleeping properly?

Black coffee might good to wake you up.

Or Adderall/Ritalin/etc ;-)

Glad you mentioned it. I do suffer from sleep apnea but I’ve recently purchased an APAP device (covered by healthcare in Ontario up to 75%, and my insurance covered 90% of the remainder). According to my wife, snoring is gone now and in the last sleep clinic results, my apnea events is under 3 (under 5 is optimal). I think I used to be well over 40 prior to the APAP machine.

Being tired in the morning isn’t too much of an issue, it is late day that is a problem. The advice on the avocado is funny as I literally just started making avocado toast as a morning meal at least a few times a week (and have ate this the last two mornings).

As for movement, the sore knees my family doctor thinks is age related mostly, but also because I do play 6 hours of badminton a week and on the ice 2 hours running drills with my team. The hockey is less of an issue as I can let my assistants do the more intense drills, but the badminton is tough as I do play pretty hard. I may decide to scale it back to 4 hours a week.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Had you mentioned it. I do suffer from sleep apnea but I’ve recently purchased an APAP device (covered by healthcare in Ontario up to 75%, and my insurance covered 90% of the remainder). According to my wife, snoring is gone now and in the last sleep clinic results, my apnea events is under 3 (under 5 is optimal). I think I used to be well over 40 prior to the APAP machine.

Being tired in the morning isn’t too much of an issue, it is late day that is a problem. The advice on the avocado is funny as I literally just started making avocado toast as a morning meal at least a few times a week (and have ate this the last two mornings).

As for movement, the sore knees my family doctor thinks is age related mostly, but also because I do play 6 hours of badminton a week and on the ice 2 hours running drills with my team. The hockey is less of an issue as I can let my assistants do the more intense drills, but the badminton is tough as I do play pretty hard. I may decide to scale it back to 4 hours a week.

You may need a proper mobility routine.. especially with age. My father (56) recently started lifting weights, first time he's done any exercise/sports in twenty years (Though he works a lot and is generally "fit" ish for his age.), he's started working out with a friend of the family who's a chiro and all and his health is just much better, chronic back pain are mostly gone, same for hips... Obviously there is no reversing time, but you can slow it down, or make it better, with smart movement. Have you tried a competent chiropractor (AKA one that will prescribe movement, and not just crack your spine and call it a day.)

Reactions: sandviper

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Where are you skiing ? I'm craving for some high altitude snowboarding, or just any snowboarding, since I haven't even hit the slopes once this year.

Alta, it's a newbie friendly slope so it wouldn't be suitable for you.

It's near Snowbird. That resort brags that they get 1-star ratings from people who complain that it's too hard. You should go there .

There is a light snow today, so I might ski again tomorrow.

I might also come back next year, as Sundance was great and it's in the midst of ski season. SLC also has great food. It's a good foodie city.

Reactions: Mrb1p

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You may need a proper mobility routine.. especially with age. My father (56) recently started lifting weights, first time he's done any exercise/sports in twenty years (Though he works a lot and is generally "fit" ish for his age.), he's started working out with a friend of the family who's a chiro and all and his health is just much better, chronic back pain are mostly gone, same for hips... Obviously there is no reversing time, but you can slow it down, or make it better, with smart movement. Have you tried a competent chiropractor (AKA one that will prescribe movement, and not just crack your spine and call it a day.)

What I’ve always done prior to hockey and badminton is do about 15 minutes of stretching before and after. However, one of my friends suggested I do very light stretching and mobility movements (hip rotations, elbows, shoulders, etc), then do a short 5 minute jog (run around the rink for hockey, run around the courts when I play badminton).

Then, play my sports, but afterwards, do longer stretches now that I am all loosened up.

I mean, end of the day, I got to stretch more, which I admit I half-ass a lot. I also don’t walk enough, which is hard to do weekdays as I have a desk job AND work at home. Weekends I run around doing family stuff so the walking and my step goals are met, but yeah, I am sure I can do more.

Oh, as for the chiropractor prescribing movement, no. I’ve had the back cracking treatment, but not what you’ve described. My physiotherapist did give me suggestions in terms of upper body drills as I suffer from tennis elbow, so when I see her next, I’ll ask for some advice for my lower body.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Alta, it's a newbie friendly slope so it wouldn't be suitable for you.

It's near Snowbird. That resort brags that they get 1-star ratings from people who complain that it's too hard. You should go there .

There is a light snow today, so I might ski again tomorrow.

I might also come back next year, as Sundance was great and it's in the midst of ski season. SLC also has great food. It's a good foodie city.
It's one of the areas I'd love to visit, I'll hit up the road one day and drive there or something.

I've heard of Snowbird, kind of hilarious.

I'd probably hit Corbet's Couloir one of these days... That looks like an absolute must do in a lifetime. Then you look at pipeline at Snowbird and it's absolutely crazy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What I’ve always done prior to hockey and badminton is do about 15 minutes of stretching before and after. However, one of my friends suggested I do very light stretching and mobility movements (hip rotations, elbows, shoulders, etc), then do a short 5 minute jog (run around the rink for hockey, run around the courts when I play badminton).

Then, play my sports, but afterwards, do longer stretches now that I am all loosened up.

I mean, end of the day, I got to stretch more, which I admit I half-ass a lot. I also don’t walk enough, which is hard to do weekdays as I have a desk job AND work at home. Weekends I run around doing family stuff so the walking and my step goals are met, but yeah, I am sure I can do more.

Oh, as for the chiropractor prescribing movement, no. I’ve had the back cracking treatment, but not what you’ve described. My physiotherapist did give me suggestions in terms of upper body drills as I suffer from tennis elbow, so when I see her next, I’ll ask for some advice for my lower body.
That's really the best way to go about things, staying on top of your nutrition and mobility is hard but it's rewarding.

Reactions: sandviper

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Only got to ski for a few hours as I have to meet some friends at another resort for dinner. It takes a while to get around with buses, and the roads are closed to most cars.

Mercifully, Gwyneth Paltrow didn't seem to be around today. That facilitated my survival on the slopes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just pulled the easiest 555 lbs deadlift in my life. I dont know if its a lifetime Pr, but if it is, it certainly didnt get up that easy. Man I can feel 600. I just can feel it. In fact, I wanted to go for it today... but Ill stay smart, 555 wasnt programed already but I had to go, my amrap when way too easy at 95% for me not to PR today.

I feel like Larry wheels since I removed my soles out of my converse. Prs after prs. Now if only my bench could follow.

Im progressing towards 600 DL 500 squat and 400 Bench, like Id say two months and Im there.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's Chinese New Year here so pretty much everything is closed for few days. I had to workout in the club house of my apartment building yesterday and they only have a smith machine. Of course...I tweaked my back squatting on this piece of crap equipment. Goddammit f***ing horse shit.

Reactions: overlords and Mrb1p

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It's one of the areas I'd love to visit, I'll hit up the road one day and drive there or something.

I've heard of Snowbird, kind of hilarious.

I'd probably hit Corbet's Couloir one of these days... That looks like an absolute must do in a lifetime. Then you look at pipeline at Snowbird and it's absolutely crazy.

Alta is one of the only ski areas that doesn't permit snowboarding. There are lots of hilarious videos/opinions/articles of clothing/stickers/articles on the topic.

Pic from yesterday, the weather is lining up for some fun lines that have, to this point, been unrideable:

mackenzie.jpg

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
At the end of the day, these dietary magic remedy dont really work if you dont put in the work. It might help a bit but the true magic remedy is movement.
Had the same issue the poster had earlier this year, was losing weight (45 lb), except it was elbows/wrist.

added pushups (20) to my daily cardio routine (biking) and it took just a few days! tadaam!

so yeah! for legs/knees, a 15 or 30 minutes walk everyday could very well fix his soreness problems.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
It's Chinese New Year here so pretty much everything is closed for few days. I had to workout in the club house of my apartment building yesterday and they only have a smith machine. Of course...I tweaked my back squatting on this piece of crap equipment. Goddammit ****ing horse ****.

Smith machines, not even once.

Reactions: Mrb1p

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Smith machines, not even once.

Smith machines have a bad reputation due to people squatting with them. Apparently, they're much more effective for bench pressing. I have read that for that exercise, the effect of the smith machine is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad